AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-21, 15:36   Link #141
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am not saying they should die but people should be planing ahead so they don't end in impossible. Animals prepare for winter by eating a lot of food to get fat. Shouldn't people know better and prepare some savings for emergencies?
Can't do that if you don't have anything to save.



Unemployment is real. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to have a nest egg.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-21 at 15:48. Reason: apologies :(
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:38   Link #142
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
U.S. Law / Medical School Stuff
Here's an interesting post back from October 2012 about law schools in the U.S. I just wanted to post this to dispel a myth about "law school" and "making it!"

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-la...s-2012-10?op=1

Quote:
Just 85.6 percent of law students who earned a law degree in 2011 were employed nine months later. It's the lowest rate of employment since 1994.

For those graduates lucky enough to find themselves employed, only 55 percent of them secured "full-time, long-term jobs" that require a law degree.
I'd also add that though the article pokes at specific schools with poor employment records, I have heard significant anecdotal evidence that even graduating from Harvard Law, but not being a "star" and instead being middle or lower end of the pack will result in significant difficulty in attaining the desired "Big Law" employment.
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:40   Link #143
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
One of the huge understated problem with Medical and Law is the cost of Education.

Most Law school charges ~150K (even the shitty ones) for their education.

Most medical school also go 150-250K Plus.
oh absolutely, when we had the discussion on health care back in 09. School tuition was one of the points i always bring up. It is not just the health insurance company that is jacking the price of health care but the whole system. The schools, the pharmaceutical companies, the hospital and the insurance company. Tacking one of the problems isn't going to solve the rest.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:49   Link #144
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
specific schools with poor employment records, I have heard significant anecdotal evidence that even graduating from Harvard Law, but not being a "star" and instead being middle or lower end of the pack will result in significant difficulty in attaining the desired "Big Law" employment.
Yeah my brother graduated from USC law school in 2011 (In recent years has had the highest pass rates for the California Bar), and has not found long term employment with his law degree. Law is over saturated right now, and is a terrible field to go into. No one is hiring.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:50   Link #145
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
oh absolutely, when we had the discussion on health care back in 09. School tuition was one of the points i always bring up. It is not just the health insurance company that is jacking the price of health care but the whole system. The schools, the pharmaceutical companies, the hospital and the insurance company. Tacking one of the problems isn't going to solve the rest.
To be fair, a lot of big parma companies end up with tons of dead ends and R&D costs, so they often has to charge what it takes to break even before their patent runs out.

If you have a disease that is common, then it is likely the cure will not be as expensive.

If you have one that is deadly but happen one in a million. Good luck. Only way a cure exists is it was discovered by accident and not a research project, then expect to pay through the anus for it after.

Another problem with Law/Medical school is a HUGE % of their budget actually goes into University overhead, particularly to subsidize majors that lack huge endowments or expensive (Classic history, Ancient literature, and in certain cases, some engineering majors that are highly equipment intensive)

One law dean commented he would dance nude in the street if he can get 10% of his institutions charged to students, put that in prospective, the actual cost of Law degree at his school should be less than $16,000 for 3 years! O_O
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:52   Link #146
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah my brother graduated from USC law school in 2011 (In recent years has had the highest pass rates for the California Bar), and has not found long term employment with his law degree. Law is over saturated right now, and is a terrible field to go into. No one is hiring.
cousin just got married and his wife will be graduating form corporate law this summer.

what is the market on end of the legal job market?
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:58   Link #147
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
cousin just got married and his wife will be graduating form corporate law this summer.

what is the market on end of the legal job market?
If he did not get an offer @ Sept-Nov of his 3L (3rd Year) he is in for a brutal time when he come out.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:00   Link #148
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
cousin just got married and his wife will be graduating form corporate law this summer.

what is the market on end of the legal job market?
As far as I know, not good. Unless you are graduating towards the top of your class, or are specialized somewhere (Something like patent law), you're going to just have a tough time.

Of course, it's all about who you know as well. Law is very much a family/friends business.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:01   Link #149
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
If he did not get an offer @ Sept-Nov of his 3L (3rd Year) he is in for a brutal time when he come out.
HER

he is a psychologist. Still doing his internship. both got married a couple of weeks ago.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:11   Link #150
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
You know, I'd like to ask non-American posters what they think of the overall situation. I assume there is a distinct fear that extremist elements have taken over this country which would be a threat to other nations as well. In your view, how has the shift been for the past few years? What would be something you would not want to happen at any cost?
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:17   Link #151
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You know, I'd like to ask non-American posters what they think of the overall situation. I assume there is a distinct fear that extremist elements have taken over this country which would be a threat to other nations as well. In your view, how has the shift been for the past few years? What would be something you would not want to happen at any cost?
Destruction of Universities.

When Mao came to power, he accused the College Professors in China to be vanguards of "right wing" capitalist forces, and many schools were burned, professors were humiliated, stoned to death or imprisoned. It became a lost generation.

We Chinese know how it worked out. Believe me, you guys don't need a repeat here no matter what you think of "Ivy tower left-elitism"
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:23   Link #152
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 25
Actually, what's the prospects for Engineers in the US? I hear it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Where are things "booming"?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:28   Link #153
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Actually, what's the prospects for Engineers in the US? I hear it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Where are things "booming"?
depends on what type of engineer you are but the market is good for any type of engineers (except civil) can find a good job in the US. Especially if you are young.

Texas/Midwest and Dakotas need oil engineers

The SF Bay Area always have room good/young comp engineers.

Seattle and LA still has a good market for electrical and mechanical engineers.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:31   Link #154
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
depends on what type of engineer you are but the market is good for any type of engineers (except civil) can find a good job in the US. Especially if you are young.

Texas/Midwest and Dakotas need oil engineers

The SF Bay Area always have room good/young comp engineers.

Seattle and LA still has a good market for electrical and mechanical engineers.
NYC+Boston look for Comp sci to power their big trading machines. I have a client consist of 2 girls in their mid-20s and their chinese engineer who develop a trading strategy that exploit NYSE rules and makes about $350,000 a month post expenses.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:32   Link #155
willx
Nyaaan~~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Destruction of Universities.

When Mao came to power, he accused the College Professors in China to be vanguards of "right wing" capitalist forces, and many schools were burned, professors were humiliated, stoned to death or imprisoned. It became a lost generation.

We Chinese know how it worked out. Believe me, you guys don't need a repeat here no matter what you think of "Ivy tower left-elitism"
Agree. I worry the most about Anti-intellectualism the most which, albeit not in lockstep, appears to not be mutually exclusive with the advent of conservative radical evangelism. Combined with increasing household debt and bleak economic prospects for years and decades to come also makes me worry about civil unrest and the breakdown of the fabric of society. I'm also Canadian so I share a pretty big border with those guys down south ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
NYC+Boston look for Comp sci to power their big trading machines. I have a client consist of 2 girls in their mid-20s and their chinese engineer who develop a trading strategy that exploit NYSE rules and makes about $350,000 a month post expenses.
Oh dear, what strategy is that? Then again .. $35k x 12 = $420,000 a year split between 3 people ($140K) doesn't seem like a lot, especially after taxes.. Now if it is scalable ..
__________________
Nyaaaan~~
willx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:34   Link #156
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
basically unless you planning to move to the middle of nowhere (ie, iowa) there is always a job on the coastal states for a young engineer.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:35   Link #157
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
basically unless you planning to move to the middle of nowhere (ie, iowa) there is always a job on the coastal states for a young engineer.
Mechanical is pretty down though (Unless u want to fix cars or build bombs for the U.S Mil), Aerospace for the same reason. Military research for a similar reason.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:36   Link #158
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Destruction of Universities.

When Mao came to power, he accused the College Professors in China to be vanguards of "right wing" capitalist forces, and many schools were burned, professors were humiliated, stoned to death or imprisoned. It became a lost generation.

We Chinese know how it worked out. Believe me, you guys don't need a repeat here no matter what you think of "Ivy tower left-elitism"
Interesting how the extremes of both sides leads to anti-intellectualism and violence.

For us, that would definitely be the GOP that encourages such behavior. There is no doubt that Democrats partake in such idiocy, but the GOP is frequently the active one in defining their own definition of common sense and morality, and the one size fits all concept, of which alternate narratives are not acceptable. And of their Right narrative, they don't need to prove anything or be held accountable to anyone-- pure blind faith. They can be adequately summarized as populist fearmongers that prey on the insecurities of people.

It is smart to create enemies out of nowhere, to make people paranoid and think that the fearmonger is the only one they can trust. That type of person I despise the most, because they can do far more damage than a bunch of pretentious liberals.

Neocons are the scum of the earth, and lumping conservatives in with them just makes it even more insulting.
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:46   Link #159
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh dear, what strategy is that? Then again .. $35k x 12 = $420,000 a year split between 3 people ($140K) doesn't seem like a lot, especially after taxes.. Now if it is scalable ..
350, not 35. Also, I'll gladly take 140k a year. Please. What kind of crystal palace do you live in if 140k isn't much for doing very little work?
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:49   Link #160
kyp275
ZA ZOMBIE!!!
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Somewhere in the EVE cluster...
Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
Oh dear, what strategy is that? Then again .. $35k x 12 = $420,000 a year split between 3 people ($140K) doesn't seem like a lot, especially after taxes.. Now if it is scalable ..
I believe you missed a zero there, it's 350k, not 35k

Thought I have to say I have my doubts about the reliability of these trading incomes, and if they ARE that reliable, the legality
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.