AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-19, 15:07   Link #6781
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I don't think that our hair is actually made of hair cells because that is the one that enables us to hear inside our ears.
The hair on your head and skin is very different from the "hair" (cilia) that allows you to hear
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 15:14   Link #6782
Guernsey
The GAP Man
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
How did M.D. Geist get so popular? There was barely even a plot and the main character is a complete monster. The show itself was awful.
__________________
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 15:36   Link #6783
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guernsey View Post
How did M.D. Geist get so popular? There was barely even a plot and the main character is a complete monster. The show itself was awful.
I remember it being advertised, but was it ever really that popular? It has some pretty poor reviews on MyAnimeList.net (5.41 for the first OVA and 5.29 for the second - some of the lowest scores I've come across).

If it was popular, it probably has to do with the time that it was released. That was in the late 1980's in Japan and the early- to mid-1990's in America. I can't really speak for Japan, but the anime scene in America was pretty different back then, as were the types of themes and styles that you would see in series. MD Geist may not fare so well against productions that came after it, but at the time it was rather intriguing.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 15:52   Link #6784
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I remember it being advertised, but was it ever really that popular? It has some pretty poor reviews on MyAnimeList.net (5.41 for the first OVA and 5.29 for the second - some of the lowest scores I've come across).

If it was popular, it probably has to do with the time that it was released. That was in the late 1980's in Japan and the early- to mid-1990's in America. I can't really speak for Japan, but the anime scene in America was pretty different back then, as were the types of themes and styles that you would see in series. MD Geist may not fare so well against productions that came after it, but at the time it was rather intriguing.
Also, not much was released in America at the time, so people took what they could get. They didn't have anything better to compare it to.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-19, 23:25   Link #6785
Cosmic Eagle
卍曼荼羅・無量大数
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 大欲界天狗道
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I've not read any papers about how respiratory disease affects hair loss and maintenance.

And AFAIK the MSG thing leading to hair loss isn't actually true.
For a moment I thought MSG meant Master Sergeant...in which case yes, my sgt major does give us hair loss lolol
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 11:19   Link #6786
Green-ill
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London, North Weezy
Is thick hair better than straight hair?
__________________
!
Green-ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 13:22   Link #6787
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-ill View Post
Is thick hair better than straight hair?
The two are not mutually exclusive, my hair is thick and straight.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 14:14   Link #6788
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-ill View Post
Is thick hair better than straight hair?
You can have thick and straight hair, they are not related.

Thick hair means the thickness of the strand, not how much hair you have on your head.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 14:29   Link #6789
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Thick hair means the thickness of the strand, not how much hair you have on your head.
I thought it did? For instance, as a person ages and they lose hair, it is often said their hair is "thinning".

Though I guess it could be either. It's not a precise quantity, and hair thickness is generally "how much mass" you have. That mass can come from quantity of hair, or how thick the strands are.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-20, 22:13   Link #6790
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I thought it did? For instance, as a person ages and they lose hair, it is often said their hair is "thinning".

Though I guess it could be either. It's not a precise quantity, and hair thickness is generally "how much mass" you have. That mass can come from quantity of hair, or how thick the strands are.
I do think that thickness could be used to refer to how much hair. But on the hair websites I go to they call that hair density instead, how many hairs are in a square inch or so.

They call it "thinning" because the hairs are actually getting thinner, the ones that stay on the head in the bald spots anyway. They get thinner because the hair follicles get weaker, so weak that they cannot output regular sized hairs anymore. They can only output immature "baby" hairs, until finally the follicle becomes dormant and any hair falls out. Also hair loss usually occurs along with old age so the thinning may also refer to how gray/white hairs appear thinner than darker hair.

Question: Anyone know art sharing sites that allow you to upload multiple pictures all gathered under one submission? Like a comic. All I know now that does it is Pixiv, but I don't want to use pixiv because I don't like some of their other policies.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:35   Link #6791
Dextro
He Without a Title
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Age: 27
Send a message via Skype™ to Dextro
I think imgur supports galleries.
__________________

Dextro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:48   Link #6792
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I think imgur supports galleries.
Thank you!! But I don't mean galleries. I'm looking for the ability to upload multiple pictures all under one single submission.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 15:51   Link #6793
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Thank you!! But I don't mean galleries. I'm looking for the ability to upload multiple pictures all under one single submission.
imgur. you can just drag multiple picture into browser and it will be automatically uploaded
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 16:26   Link #6794
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Not really a question but anyway...

I am doing a lesson plan on Julius Caesar for secondary school learners, and I have to search for videos to introduce the concept of friendship. Not that students at that age are unaware of what friendship means, but this video will serve as a lead-in activity before moving on to the main lesson. I am thinking of using anime. Perhaps you peeps could tell me which anime and the particular episode that you think highlight the theme of friendship? It doesn't have to be shounen animes.
__________________
A politically ignorant person who embraces only hedonism as the main philosophical doctrine.

Old stuff but just a reminder that butthurt report form is here to help

Last edited by MUAHAHAHAHAHA; 2013-02-21 at 16:45.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 19:17   Link #6795
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
imgur. you can just drag multiple picture into browser and it will be automatically uploaded
Thank you, but no no I'm not talking about that. I can just do that on deviantart. I need the pictures to all tile under one single submission. I don't think imgur does that unless someone can tell me how.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 19:27   Link #6796
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
what you mean by "one single submission"
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 21:46   Link #6797
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
what you mean by "one single submission"
Like this (image from jyuri.net):


This is a comic on pixiv. I would link to an actual pixiv page, but too bad because pixiv has that stupid policy that makes you login to see anything. Anyway see how the pages are tiled up behind the cover page? All of the images are gathered under one submission. All comments and pageviews for each page/picture go to that one parent submission. The only other way I know to do this is to put all the images on one long ugly strip like so (also from jyuri.net):

on Deviantart.

Question: Is fansubbing anime from television illegal? Only the episodes that come on on TV for free.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:27   Link #6798
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
Question: Is fansubbing anime from television illegal? Only the episodes that come on on TV for free.
If the anime is unlicensed in a region of the subbers' then it's not illegal, or legal and falls into a moral gray-ish area, if the anime is Licensed or airing on CR or similar sites than it's somewhat illegal which is why AS's policy only allows torrents for series that fall into that gray zone to be listed.
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar By RRW &
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 22:41   Link #6799
Kudryavka
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
If the anime is unlicensed in a region of the subbers' then it's not illegal, or legal and falls into a moral gray-ish area, if the anime is Licensed or airing on CR or similar sites than it's somewhat illegal which is why AS's policy only allows torrents for series that fall into that gray zone to be listed.
But even if it's licensed reuploads of free TV broadcasts should be fine right?
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-21, 23:10   Link #6800
Konakaga
Yuri Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: FL, USA
Age: 27
Send a message via AIM to Konakaga Send a message via Skype™ to Konakaga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
But even if it's licensed reuploads of free TV broadcasts should be fine right?
Depends on who owns the license, some will pursue that even (like funimation is know to) and if it's regionally licensed or on CR, it's considered illegal to AS at the least.
__________________
Nanami Aoyama - Sakurasou no Pet na KanojoAvatar By RRW &
Sig by TheEroKing
MAL(KagamiHiiragi)
Konakaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problem, q&a, questions, serious

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.