AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-02-24, 16:30   Link #301
Darthtabby
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Back when Mai Hime came out, marketing people were adding 'my' to everything: myTv, myCar, myDog, myShit and so on.
That fad was soon to be replaced by adding equally random 'i's in front of things.

So I initially thought the title was a play on this.
Maybe it actually was meant to be read with such a double meaning... dunno. It still makes sense, unlike most of the actual myStuff's of the time.
There's actually more than two ways to interpret that title when you consider that not only does Mai's name sound like "My," but hime is both the Japanese term for a princess and an in series acroynm (granted, referring to girls with special powers as "HIghly advanced Materializing Equipment" seems rather strange). Plus there's the thing Shyni alluded to with the character for Mai's name meaning "dancing."

The creators were likely aware of the fact that the title had multiples meanings too. Its been a while since I last rewatched the series but doesn't Nagi make use of several different meanings when doing title drops at various points in the series?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 22:12   Link #302
Fuyuno
Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Gosick. No competition here.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 01:30   Link #303
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temenos View Post
Stein was a mathematician that worked on statistics and probabilities. So the title elegantly fits with the nature of the anime, with a twist of imagination.

Personally for some reason the term steins;gate brings up mysterious WWII experiments to my mind. Not sure how I made this connection.
"Steins;Gate" is a title that sounds bad and looks even worse (on account of the semi-colon). That it's only tangentially related to the actual subject of the show only makes matters worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
There's actually more than two ways to interpret that title when you consider that not only does Mai's name sound like "My," but hime is both the Japanese term for a princess and an in series acroynm (granted, referring to girls with special powers as "HIghly advanced Materializing Equipment" seems rather strange). Plus there's the thing Shyni alluded to with the character for Mai's name meaning "dancing."
Making the title Mai [character] Hime [princess] is adequate to begin with. Anything else is a bonus. The acronym is awful, but acronyms are supposed to be awful to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
Gosick. No competition here.
As far as I'm concerned, only comedies should be given pun-based titles. Wordplay like in "Mai-Hime" is fine, but actual puns look ugly in a title that's meant to be taken seriously.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 02:10   Link #304
totoum
Gamer
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
"Steins;Gate" is a title that sounds bad and looks even worse (on account of the semi-colon). That it's only tangentially related to the actual subject of the show only makes matters worse.
I don't care what you say Steins;Gate is one of the only animes I've checked out just based on the title alone without knowing anything else about it.

It sounded cool and mysterious and the semi-colon made it stand out.
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 09:33   Link #305
amaterasu4
CAUSE I FEEEEEEEEEEEEEL!!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shame Car
Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!


Yeah the weirdest thing is that it is the name of a harem... What?!
amaterasu4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 14:46   Link #306
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Mysterious Girlfriend X, it kinda makes the girlfriend sound like chemical compound like thing.
__________________
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 16:49   Link #307
Shyni
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: nowhere
...these were the ingredients to create the perfect little girlfriend. But Professor Utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient: Chemical X

...or did you mean something else?

OTOH, if Mysterious Girlfriend X had a title that actually described the premise, it would sound even weirder.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-05, 17:02   Link #308
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
OTOH, if Mysterious Girlfriend X had a title that actually described the premise, it would sound even weirder.
Yep, and if we go with the usual LN long-title, it would be something like this: I Tasted a Strange Girl’s Drool in the Classroom and Now We’re Going Out!
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 14:53   Link #309
qb_cakes
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Ano ni mita hana.. .. . ... I always need to google for the name because it's impossible to memorize
qb_cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-10, 23:10   Link #310
Echoes
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In line to confess his sins.
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by qb_cakes View Post
Ano ni mita hana.. .. . ... I always need to google for the name because it's impossible to memorize
Just use the shortened version, Ano Hana. That ought to solve your issue. (Not that I'm arguing that the actual title isn't ridiculously long...)
__________________
Echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:43.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.