AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 19 Rating
Perfect 10 15 30.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 42.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 14.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 12.00%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-01, 04:24   Link #61
BoyTitan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo,Newyork
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Makishima does whatever he wants because he feels no guilt. Akane does only what she feels is right so she has no reason to feel guilty. Very different things.

And if they try to recruit Akane? They will learn what happens when someone with solid convictions get mad.

If someone wants you dead, you better wish that person is evil. Because an evil person would gloat and want to have more fun before he kills you. But if someone who is GOOD wants you dead, he or she would just strike you down. You would not get any chances.

Fear a good (wo)man with a gun, for she will use it without hesitation.
Common misconception actually again no such thing as good and evil just perception. In my eyes.

For instance Maki has a way to destroy sybil that does not include mass amounts of people dieing all it does is force them to trade and he is the bad guy,even if he is bad killing him aka murdering some one is the solution not jail question no trial cold blooded murder that's not right at all, And even tho sibyls worse lets protect sybil and kill maki why are we rooting for the protagonist at this point they are all self fish pricks now,Tho thats how anyone would handle this situation if any of are friends was killed by some one the last thing on our mind would be justice, Akane will most likely side with sybil cause the whole order is important B.S. sorry akane is everything sybil wants to be a cold calculated machine in the disguise of a human whos main and only focus is to maintain order. To many of the little dialogues they have shown of her showed her way of thinking is inhumane she has not yet once questioned sybil. By the end of this series once we learn how she thinks fully I guarantee it will make maki look like a saint.

Also I just remembered exactly how to deal with some one like maki even if they are more skilled than you. Its quite easy to get people like maki mad to bad kogami doesn't know this. I remember batman beyond fight with joker all he did was threw his game off a little by talking trashsince joker was the better fighter, words hurt these kinda people easily when you say the right things. Act like you got them all figured out,Make fun of them for not fighting in and they get mad and make mistakes.Or ignore em either works.
__________________
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 04:41   Link #62
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Sybil is not order. Sybil is only PRETENDING to be order. And Akane saw that when the gun override happened.

Akane is not "lawful stupid". She doesn't follow orders, she follow the law. And conveniently, since Sybil did not tell the truth about what it actually is, it is not protected by the legal system. That which don't legally exist, don't have legal rights.

Akane follows order. REAL order. Not following authority blindly.

Hence, her stun shot last episode. Had she been as obedient as you claimed, she would have done nothing.

If it comes time for Akane to judge Sybil, she would find it wanting.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 06:09   Link #63
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
I don't see Akane murdering a bunch of brains just because she doesn't think they're right. >_> She's the type to change things, rather than blow things up.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 07:24   Link #64
Cytrus
Unchangingly Hopeless
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Akane's already gone on record stating that maintaining public order is a high priority task up there with enforcing justice. She will compromise if she finds it necessary. The system as it is has two faults:
a) it acts out of whack in 0.01% of cases
b) its true nature is different from what the citizens are told
Other than that, it works perfectly fine, keeping the whole country afloat in very difficult times. If there's any way to fix a and b without blowing everything up, Akane will try. If she deems that impossible, she'll have to consider whether the two points warrant risking a civil war, outside invasion, anarchy and whatever else would come with a violent (and publicly known) overthrow of the system. That's indirectly causing the deaths of tens of thousands of people.
Cytrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 09:00   Link #65
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rokkenjima
Oh, very interesting! So Sybil has decided to tell Akane what's going on. Now, this could lead to her ending up breaking the system, but otherwise, really, it's a great decision. Akane's got good judgement and a calm head on her shoulders. Worst case scenario would be that they want her to join Sybil, but I don't think they will right now, because they're in dire need of capable Inspectors to use as pawns. But, what will she think of the system...? I can't imagine her liking it, but she does very much want to maintain public order, as Cytrus and others have said.

Some of Akane's angst about Kogami does confuse me a bit, though. She wants to prevent Kogami from "becoming a real killer, not just a latent criminal" no matter what...but Akane, the guy's already killed loads of people! It's just that he did that as part of the police and on government business, Sybil sanctioned. It's far too late to stop him from becoming a killer. And on the information Akane had at the time, knowing that there was a serial murderer (Makishima) whom the system could not or would not judge, who would likely murder again...Really, the choice of Kougami to try to kill him is sensible, although it does mean he's setting himself up to be killed by Sybil.

This was a good ep. Highlights were the photo of Masaoka and Gino, Akane and Shion's conversation, and Sybil's apparent plan to enlist Akane. Akane wondering about whether she's cold-hearted and Shion offering her support was excellent. Gino was interesting in this ep, too.

I thought the scene with Kougami and his mentor, particularly when Kougami pictured an imaginary Makishima taking part in the conversation, was very well executed, but I think it lacked something...probably because I don't find Makishima or the Kougami-Makishima parallels they were going on about very interesting.

Very interesting that Sybil had decided Japan didn't need intellectuals, as that has happened before in human history. They hyper-oats thing makes a lot of sense for Psycho-Pass Japanese society, too. It's no surprise at all that that Japan is so isolated, as that would be necessary for Sybil's control.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 09:03   Link #66
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cytrus View Post
Akane's already gone on record stating that maintaining public order is a high priority task up there with enforcing justice. She will compromise if she finds it necessary. The system as it is has two faults:
a) it acts out of whack in 0.01% of cases
b) its true nature is different from what the citizens are told
The system has way, way more faults than that.

1) People are treated like criminals even if they've committed no crimes.

2) There's no judiciary system. If you happen to have a bad Psycho-Pass reading one day, you go directly to jail or get killed. You don't get to speak out in your own defense in any meaningful way. You don't get your day in court. Should you go to jail, you're very likely to be there for the rest of your life (heavily implied during the Yayoi flashback episode).

3) The average human lifespan is declining in the world of Psycho-Pass, and this is due to the numbing effect of the Sibyl system. This was brought up during the Oryo arc.

4) Censorship, also brought up during the Oryo arc. The works of Oryo's father were banned. Then there's "authorized music", which should make anybody who values the arts simply cringe.

5) Much of the above would at least be theoretically defensible if Sybil really was purely mechanical based. At least then it really would be objective. But no, Sybil is a collective of 250 brains making life and death decisions for every citizen in the world of Psycho-Pass. And a good case can be made that these brains are probably a bunch of sociopaths or psychopaths. It shouldn't be necessary to explain the serious dangers inherent in a setup like this.


The Sybil system is a totalitarian oligarchy who's net effect on the Japanese people is quite possibly to their detriment. A strong case can be made that the Japan of Psycho-Pass would be better off being like the Japan of today.

If Akane tears down Sibyl, and replaces it with a proper judiciary system, is that really something you would take issue with? Personally, I would cheer it. Loudly.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 10:17   Link #67
Moe Connection
Basileus Basileōn
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
The system has way, way more faults than that.

1) People are treated like criminals even if they've committed no crimes.

2) There's no judiciary system. If you happen to have a bad Psycho-Pass reading one day, you go directly to jail or get killed. You don't get to speak out in your own defense in any meaningful way. You don't get your day in court. Should you go to jail, you're very likely to be there for the rest of your life (heavily implied during the Yayoi flashback episode).

3) The average human lifespan is declining in the world of Psycho-Pass, and this is due to the numbing effect of the Sibyl system. This was brought up during the Oryo arc.

4) Censorship, also brought up during the Oryo arc. The works of Oryo's father were banned. Then there's "authorized music", which should make anybody who values the arts simply cringe.

5) Much of the above would at least be theoretically defensible if Sybil really was purely mechanical based. At least then it really would be objective. But no, Sybil is a collective of 250 brains making life and death decisions for every citizen in the world of Psycho-Pass. And a good case can be made that these brains are probably a bunch of sociopaths or psychopaths. It shouldn't be necessary to explain the serious dangers inherent in a setup like this.


The Sybil system is a totalitarian oligarchy who's net effect on the Japanese people is quite possibly to their detriment. A strong case can be made that the Japan of Psycho-Pass would be better off being like the Japan of today.

If Akane tears down Sibyl, and replaces it with a proper judiciary system, is that really something you would take issue with? Personally, I would cheer it. Loudly.
I also think that Sybil has to go, but it has to be done properly. If not, anarchy may reign, and most probably ,a more totalitarian form of government might appear.
__________________
Moe Connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 10:24   Link #68
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
*snip*
Pretty much.

And as these last few episodes have been illustrating...for all the tyranny that the Sybil system provides, it just DOESN'T provide that much security. Sure it can keep up a facade of orderliness...under ideal circumstances. But it's shown to be utterly inept at dealing with any real opposition.


The only way I can imagine Pscyho-Pass Japan managing to survive on the international scale is trying to maintain a low profile, and people not realizing how fragile it is. Cause even the most trivial acts of terrorism/sabotage could bring this country to its knees.


Think of all the Chaos that Makishima and Choe caused with the helmet riots. Imagine what could have been done with a team of cyborg commandos DESIGNED for infiltration? A cyborg face could be designed that with a kit, you could noticeably change facial features enough to fool facial recognition. A foreign state intelligence agency could have designed Choe's helmet components, and miniaturized them to be built into a cyborg body. And just for extra kicks, give them suitcases filled with military grade 22nd century weapons.



With how Sybil has been presented, this would literally be a neigh unstoppable existential threat. It's not merely "This would be a tragedy". It's literally, "a dozen cyborg commandos could destroy this entire country".

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I also think that Sybil has to go, but it has to be done properly. If not, anarchy may reign, and most probably ,a more totalitarian form of government might appear.
Or international peace keepers invade and take over the country.



One thing is kinda amusing about this episode though...Kougami and his Sensei discuss that how if Japans entire hyper oat crop got destroyed, they'd have to break down their barriers...and be flooded by foreign refugees?


Japan. I know you think you're an awesome country. But you're NOT so awesome that people will wanna move there when you literally have no food.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 10:25   Link #69
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
I also think that Sybil has to go, but it has to be done properly. If not, anarchy may reign, and most probably ,a more totalitarian form of government might appear.
I have two or three ideas for how Psycho-Pass will end. It depends on how dark Gen wants to go with it.

If he leans more towards a lighter end, by his standards, then I think this is how Psycho-Pass ends: Akane somehow takes over the Sibyl system. In other words, she won't kill the 250 brains, but she will take control from them. She'll becoming something of a Queen, and make those brains her advisers, basically.

Akane will then slowly, but surely, reintroduce a judiciary system to Japan.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 10:53   Link #70
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have two or three ideas for how Psycho-Pass will end. It depends on how dark Gen wants to go with it.

If he leans more towards a lighter end, by his standards, then I think this is how Psycho-Pass ends: Akane somehow takes over the Sibyl system. In other words, she won't kill the 250 brains, but she will take control from them. She'll becoming something of a Queen, and make those brains her advisers, basically.

Akane will then slowly, but surely, reintroduce a judiciary system to Japan.
I like this kind of ending, so I hope P-P will end like this, though I don't want to see it so similar from the other Urobuchi's works I think.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 11:18   Link #71
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have two or three ideas for how Psycho-Pass will end. It depends on how dark Gen wants to go with it.

If he leans more towards a lighter end, by his standards, then I think this is how Psycho-Pass ends: Akane somehow takes over the Sibyl system. In other words, she won't kill the 250 brains, but she will take control from them. She'll becoming something of a Queen, and make those brains her advisers, basically.

Akane will then slowly, but surely, reintroduce a judiciary system to Japan.
That would be an okay ending, I think...as long as Akane wouldn't end up as a brain in jar or something equally as bad. I don't want the series to end with a huge self sacrifice from her. I'm tired of that sort of thing happening, and it would really ruin the series for me.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 11:22   Link #72
MisaoFan
Treasure-Seeking Explorer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Paris, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
That would be an okay ending, I think...as long as Akane wouldn't end up as a brain in jar or something equally as bad. I don't want the series to end with a huge self sacrifice from her. I'm tired of that sort of thing happening, and it would really ruin the series for me.
I have nothing against stuff like that, but this stuff doesn't fit for P-P at all. I'd rather have her not becoming a brain jar and try to live a happy life with Kougami instead, or rather, Enforcers trying to wish what they can instead of acting like slaves.
__________________
<img src=http://i.imgur.com/O5yUSnx.png border=0 alt= />I will protect you from the darkness and I change my destiny.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 12:12   Link #73
ookamigirl
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Ginoza having hue issues.
Kogami doing his own thing since the escape.
Still hunting Makishima without success.
Looks like Akane could be similar to Makishima.
Nothing effects her psycho-pass color.
Things are getting complicated.
__________________
My new Blog --> ookami (anime, manga, movies, JDrama, music, Japan..) & latest reviews

ookamigirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 16:56   Link #74
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
Good episode. If Makishima, Kogami's Professor, and Choe Gu-Sung sat at a table and talked politics for 23 minutes, I wouldn't even care, I love listening to it. I want more intelligent dialogue in anime.
I am totally in agreement with you there.

Yeah, some people will complain about something being dialogue heavy, but really if the dialogue is intelligent and interesting I'd rather have that than it being all wham bam thank you ma'am.

There was a show a few years back called "Mouryou no Hako" which had several episodes where the main characters sat around a table talking mythology, and that was absolutely fascinating, so yeah, there's nothing wrong with lots of dialogue when it's interesting and relevant to the story!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 17:09   Link #75
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 29
Sibyl, despite its flaws, is kind of a cornerstone for the P-P world's society. Removing it will break more than it mends.

For the ending, either the above happens, or the Sibyl system remains but something will be different. For example, Sibyl itself could change to be more progressive, like try to find a way to combat the lethal apathy that's plaguing the nation, maybe introduce a little freedom here and there (bit by bit, can't do it all at once or society will break), while retaining the psycho-pass scanner. Say what you will, the psycho-pass is a very nifty thing.

For another option, the Sibyl system could remain without anything changing at all. That would be of course a downer ending, quite opposite the downer ending I mention at the top of this post.

Last edited by Dengar; 2013-03-02 at 05:22.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 19:14   Link #76
Arya
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Very good episode!
Didn't Kougami seem more cheerful than usual in this episode? I found him very at ease with the professor (and even with the gun). Like he finally felt free for the first time in a long time.
Anyway I'm really curious to know which truth Sybil system will tell to Akane. Since it's a risky gamble telling her that. So I'm expecting that the sybil system will let her weigh up some truth (not the whole) about what the sybil system is, with what Japan was before Sybil system took over and what's now about the world outside Japan without a Sybil system at work. Like saying they were forced to do this to save the country.
It would be a nice expedient to let us know more about global situation and the sybil system itself and at the same time will try to force Akane making compromise with her morals. Even convincing her for a while. Why not.
Otherwise I can't think of any other smart reason the author Sybil system would reveal the truth/part of it to her.
__________________

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 20:11   Link #77
BoyTitan
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo,Newyork
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Sybil is not order. Sybil is only PRETENDING to be order. And Akane saw that when the gun override happened.

Akane is not "lawful stupid". She doesn't follow orders, she follow the law. And conveniently, since Sybil did not tell the truth about what it actually is, it is not protected by the legal system. That which don't legally exist, don't have legal rights.

Akane follows order. REAL order. Not following authority blindly.

Hence, her stun shot last episode. Had she been as obedient as you claimed, she would have done nothing.

If it comes time for Akane to judge Sybil, she would find it wanting.
Not taking orders does not mean she thinks no differently than a cold calculated machine that is all she is. There is not a ounce of humanity in that woman in her eyes the gun was messed up that defies order she stunned kogami and corrected it that was all it was to her. She can't see the bigger picture cause she thinks no differently than a machine.

How is forcing sybil to trade get reveals and over thrown by society cause mass murder and war, Thats like if North Korea leader was put in a situation that forced him to communicate with the outside world and would lead to that country's entire government being over thrown nothing but good can come from that.
__________________
BoyTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 20:30   Link #78
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Not taking orders does not mean she thinks no differently than a cold calculated machine that is all she is. There is not a ounce of humanity in that woman in her eyes the gun was messed up that defies order she stunned kogami and corrected it that was all it was to her. She can't see the bigger picture cause she thinks no differently than a machine.

How is forcing sybil to trade get reveals and over thrown by society cause mass murder and war, Thats like if North Korea leader was put in a situation that forced him to communicate with the outside world and would lead to that country's entire government being over thrown nothing but good can come from that.
I have completely opposite views from you with both your paragraphs. I don't consider a lawful person a machine, and I don't consider the overthrow of a murderous despotic government by its own people a bad thing. But at this point I have said all I can. We clearly are on different wavelengths.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 22:12   Link #79
Dark Wing
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 28
Now Akane will learn the truth behind the system she's been serving for so long. I'm kind of wondering what she'll do with she finds out Kagari was basically murdered because he knew too much.
__________________
Dark Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-01, 22:30   Link #80
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Rokkenjima
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Not taking orders does not mean she thinks no differently than a cold calculated machine that is all she is. There is not a ounce of humanity in that woman in her eyes the gun was messed up that defies order she stunned kogami and corrected it that was all it was to her. She can't see the bigger picture cause she thinks no differently than a machine.
Huh? I think you misunderstood that scene. Akane saved Kougami, deliberately shooting first so that Kougami would be knocked out rather than die. It will have been blatantly obvious to her and to everyone else there that the Dominator was not randomly malfunctioning and the Chief was controlling it, which has huge implications. The Chief will also have known what those implications were. Akane said that the Dominator was malfunctioning as an excuse for intervening, and because she managed to pull it off so calmly, everyone there was able to leave without the situation escalating.

Akane is one of the kindest members of the cast, and one who has been shown to think for herself. If she's a machine and inhuman, who knows what depths of uber-machinery and inhumanity the rest of the cast has descended to!
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.