AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-11, 01:54   Link #261
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Finished the series - here's my review for anyone interested. Short synopsis - I'm impressed.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:08   Link #262
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Interesting review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. Totally agreed that HnG has probably some of the best cliffhangers ever.

Unfortuantely I think you will soon run out of good classic series you haven't seen.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-11, 13:10   Link #263
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Interesting review. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed it. Totally agreed that HnG has probably some of the best cliffhangers ever.

Unfortuantely I think you will soon run out of good classic series you haven't seen.
You know, I'm not even close. My bucket list is still as long as my arm.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:21   Link #264
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Any Tar Heels out there?

Quote:
The American Go Association announced on Monday that the Hikaru no Go manga creator Yumi Hotta will attend the 2012 US Go Congress. The go board game tournament event will take place in Black Mountain, North Carolina on August 4-12.

Hotta will sign autographs, meet fans, and answer their questions on Sunday, August 5. She will also judge a Hikaru no Go trivia contest on Monday, August 6. The author learned about the international popularity of her manga when she visited the European Go Congress two years ago.

Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine serialized the original Hikaru no Go manga with Hotta's story and Takeshi Obata's art from December 1998 to July 2003. The series won at the Shogakukan Manga Awards in 2000 and received the Shinsei Prize in the 7th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize awards in 2003. Viz Media published all 23 compiled book volumes in North America. The television anime adaptation first aired in Japan from 2001 to 2003, and Viz also released the series on DVD in North America.
Old 2012-04-19, 11:59   Link #265
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Finished the series - here's my review for anyone interested. Short synopsis - I'm impressed.
Just saw this being necro-ed. I think I've rewatched this 4 or 5 times over the last decade. (and I did learn Go because of this )

Not sure whether you know this, but there are a few final chapters adapted in the new year special which takes place after episode 75 (and I like that particular match because it used a rare opening move on the Tengen ). And if my memory serves me right, there's are also a few more final final chapters in the manga not adapted.
Old 2012-04-19, 12:26   Link #266
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Any Tar Heels out there?
Ah, North Carolina. Just the place I'd want to visit in August!
Old 2012-04-19, 13:55   Link #267
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Just saw this being necro-ed. I think I've rewatched this 4 or 5 times over the last decade. (and I did learn Go because of this )

Not sure whether you know this, but there are a few final chapters adapted in the new year special which takes place after episode 75 (and I like that particular match because it used a rare opening move on the Tengen ). And if my memory serves me right, there's are also a few more final final chapters in the manga not adapted.
Yeah, I've read them thanks. Still not the ending I'd have wanted, but more complete than the anime one.
Old 2012-06-16, 09:34   Link #268
ronin myael
lost ronin

i love this series! it made me want to learn how to play go. it has a great plot, dynamic characters and beautiful art courtesy of obata-sensei.
Old 2013-03-08, 15:27   Link #269
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Wee, watching the HD version from the BD box sets now, or should I say 'rewatching'. Quality looks good,; they kept the 4:3 aspect ratio though, just saying.
Old 2013-03-08, 16:03   Link #270
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Were you expecting they could magically create a widescreen format when it did not exist before? At best they could do some nonlinear stretching where the degree of stretching increases the further you move left or right away from the center of the image. My Sony TV has that feature. It looks okay when you have all the important content in the center of the screen and just background on the left and right sides, like a TV newscaster sitting at a desk.

I'm much happier when distributors retain the original aspect ratio and let me decide whether to stretch it.
Old 2013-03-09, 01:05   Link #271
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥

Like i said, i was "just saying". I wasn't expecting anything of that sort. It was just a random comment.

Which reminds me as i watched, while romance is not the focus, i wish Hikaru had hooked up with Akari at some point in the series. It would have made the series slightly more gratifying to me.
Old 2013-03-10, 02:37   Link #272
fukarming

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post

Which reminds me as i watched, while romance is not the focus, i wish Hikaru had hooked up with Akari at some point in the series. It would have made the series slightly more gratifying to me.
I think it is the series intention to hint to the viewer that to become the top Go player in the world, you need to sacrifice lots of things, friendship, love...etc. Heck Touya Meijin had a young wife. Meijin is in his 50s-60s while his wife is only 30s-40s. I bet Meijin focus on Go for a long long time, and when he got rich someone introduce him his current wife.
Then they came for me and force me to be a vegan by that time no one was left to speak up.
fukarming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 02:48   Link #273
4Tran

Hikaru also dropped out of school, which is almost unheard of in anime.
Old 2013-03-10, 09:25   Link #274
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And let's be honest, if there was ever a shounen pairing the fujoshi were probably right about...