AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-03-10, 13:15   Link #321
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Just finished reading vol. 12, summary and impressions below:

Spoiler:
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 14:22   Link #322
RapidPotential
Spinning round and round~

Thanks for the detailed summary! It's pleasing to see the basketball action has not taken a backseat and I was also intrigued by the development of the characters.
RapidPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 14:52   Link #323
reccaryu

Yes thanks for the awesome summary. I wonder how far the next season of the anime will get.
reccaryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 17:40   Link #324
tsunade666

thanks for the summary.

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 22:22   Link #325
Miraluka
18 forever

Sugoi~!
But I doubt the anime will reach here.
Old 2013-03-10, 23:12   Link #326
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Thanks for the awesome summary! Aoyama-sensei never fails to surprise us in the basketball section of the novel.

As usual, here are my questions and observations:

1. So which current NBA teams do you think Keishin and Suzuriani play like based on this latest volume?

2. Hmm, at least they don't wear those shorts. Keishin unform is kinda cool, the top looks like the New Orleans Hornets uniform, only blue instead of green.
EDIT: Suzuridani still looks the same as their first meeting with Keishin, I guess.

3. OH SHI-! Airi's playin' like freakin' Shaq! It seems like Masami can be developed into a pure point guard like Saki, which is good for Keishin since that means they will never run out of playmakers on the court. The twin ace duel of Tomoka/Mimi and Miyu/Rena is definitely interesting, and I would love to see Hinata back in action.

4. The day will come that Subaru will be known as the anime version of Phil Jackson.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-03-11 at 01:39.
judasmartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 01:01   Link #327
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post

4. The day will come that Subaru will be known as the anime version of Phil Jackson.
but first he need to find a good lawyer that can help him plea that "his love for elementary girls are pure and he is not a lolicon"

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 01:21   Link #328
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
but first he need to find a good lawyer that can help him plea that "his love for elementary girls are pure and he is not a lolicon"
Right on the money, my friend. Too bad I still can't read Japanese.

But anyways, I'm hoping that Season 2 would include this epic rematch between Keishin and Suzuritani, but considering the LN volumes, I think that they can include this by either cutting down on the fanservice stuff (unlikely) or by making S2 a 2-cour (better chance but still not likely).

Man, how I wish I could read Japanese.

Spoiler for Keishin Academy - Primary Department:
Old 2013-03-11, 07:00   Link #329
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by reccaryu View Post
Yes thanks for the awesome summary. I wonder how far the next season of the anime will get.
Depending on how many season we get and how much they cut out.
If they go with the pace of season one as well as cut out/shuffle some arcs and has 12 episodes to work with we should get to see the 5th graders' arc in the last 2-3 episodes. Fingers' crossed since I'd really love to see the 5th graders animated.

Quote:
1. So which current NBA teams do you think Keishin and Suzuriani play like based on this latest volume?
I haven't watched NBA for a LONG time so I wouldn't know.
However the author had made it quite clear that for Keishin the 5th graders and 6th graders has a fairly different style - the 6th graders are more rounded overall whereas the 5th graders lean towards speed and offensive, so that you really can't pin just one style for Keishin as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
It's okay- despite what I said in the spoilers Subaru really haven't developed romantic feelings towards Tomoka.
Old 2013-03-11, 08:44   Link #330
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
I haven't watched NBA for a LONG time so I wouldn't know.
However the author had made it quite clear that for Keishin the 5th graders and 6th graders has a fairly different style - the 6th graders are more rounded overall whereas the 5th graders lean towards speed and offensive, so that you really can't pin just one style for Keishin as a whole.
I guess I should ask other people about this, then. But anyways, Aoyama-sensei never fails to surprise us when writing RKB's basketball section. Every single match written so far is so intense it feels like Slam Dunk all over again.

Anyways, in the LN picture where two ST players (#13 and a blonde) were arguing about something (can't post it right now, I'm currently in a remote area with a very slow connection), is Rena Ashihara the blonde one?

Thanks.
Old 2013-03-11, 09:07   Link #331
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Every single match written so far is so intense it feels like Slam Dunk all over again.
I believe the author has stated he is a huge fan of Slam Dunk, so it's not surprising he is trying to mimic that feeling in Ro-kyu-bu.
FWIW I think he also said that his goal for Ro-kyu-bu was to blend Slam Dunk with Ichigo Marshmallow (his other favourite series).

Quote:
Anyways, in the LN picture where two ST players (#13 and a blonde) were arguing about something (can't post it right now, I'm currently in a remote area with a very slow connection), is Rena Ashihara the blonde one?
Rena is number 13, short hair with the head band. The long hair girl is one of the 6th graders getting angry with Rena's solo play which kept turning over the ball to Keishin - so not only is Rena not helping Suzuritani but is pretty much actively sabotaging their game.
Old 2013-03-11, 10:26   Link #332
AP24

Quote:
Depending on how many season we get and how much they cut out.
If they go with the pace of season one as well as cut out/shuffle some arcs and has 12 episodes to work with we should get to see the 5th graders' arc in the last 2-3 episodes. Fingers' crossed since I'd really love to see the 5th graders animated.
1st season of the anime covered vol 1-5. So it's likely the 2nd season will cover 5 volumes too. I think it will first cover vol 6, 7 & 10 (short stories) which take place during summer vacation and then cover vol 8 and afterwards.

Vol 11 covers the match between the 5th and 6th graders and ends with the girls basketball club finally having a full team that can enter official tournaments. This makes a good ending for 2nd season. But then the season would be rushed or a lot of things would be cut out in order to fit 6 volumes into 12-13 episodes.

Alternatively, vol 9's end can also be a good ending for 2nd season, and the 3rd season then can start with vol 11's story.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-11, 11:39   Link #333
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP24 View Post
1st season of the anime covered vol 1-5.
So it's likely the 2nd season will cover 5 volumes too. I think it will first cover vol 6, 7 & 10 (short stories) which take place during summer vacation and then cover vol 8 and afterwards.

Vol 11 covers the match between the 5th and 6th graders and ends with the girls basketball club finally having a full team that can enter official tournaments. This makes a good ending for 2nd season. But then the season would be rushed or a lot of things would be cut out in order to fit 6 volumes into 12-13 episodes.

Alternatively, vol 9's end can also be a good ending for 2nd season, and the 3rd season then can start with vol 11's story.
Now I re-think about it I think you are more or less correct.

What I'm thinking is that if they have 12 episodes to work with they would spend 2 episodes on volume 6, then they will spend about 4~5 episodes with the Ryuichi arc as there's a fair bit to cover there as not only is it a very important arc for Subaru there's also the Airi/Banri's problem to deal with which makes it a fairly complex arc, then they would do some hacked together filler arc for 2 episodes like taking the short stories from volume 10 (which takes place during summer anyway, so chronologically speaking this is correct) to pad it out and buy some breathing time, then continues with the first time against the 5th graders for another 4 or so episode. Finally they would probably end at volume 9 which is the Kyoto trip when Maho's father accepts Subaru's request to hold a tournament and end with the uplifting cliffhanger of sorts. Also as I think they won't want to do too many full basketball matches as it will be taxing on budget and man power so that's what I'm betting on.

If they get 2 full cours to work with, then I might even expect them to pull the "anime arc to coincide with the latest novel release" thing that some light novel had been doing and we get the full Keishin/Suzuritani rematch for episode 20-24. But that's probably wishful thinking.....
Old 2013-03-11, 18:06   Link #334
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Quote:
Now I re-think about it I think you are more or less correct.

What I'm thinking is that if they have 12 episodes to work with they would spend 2 episodes on volume 6, then they will spend about 4~5 episodes with the Ryuichi arc as there's a fair bit to cover there as not only is it a very important arc for Subaru there's also the Airi/Banri's problem to deal with which makes it a fairly complex arc, then they would do some hacked together filler arc for 2 episodes like taking the short stories from volume 10 (which takes place during summer anyway, so chronologically speaking this is correct) to pad it out and buy some breathing time, then continues with the first time against the 5th graders for another 4 or so episode. Finally they would probably end at volume 9 which is the Kyoto trip when Maho's father accepts Subaru's request to hold a tournament and end with the uplifting cliffhanger of sorts. Also as I think they won't want to do too many full basketball matches as it will be taxing on budget and man power so that's what I'm betting on.

If they get 2 full cours to work with, then I might even expect them to pull the "anime arc to coincide with the latest novel release" thing that some light novel had been doing and we get the full Keishin/Suzuritani rematch for episode 20-24. But that's probably wishful thinking.....
That "anime arc coinciding with the LN" thing has been done with Toradora and more recently, Sakurasou no Pet Na Kanojo.

Well, we can't expect much basketball action this second season. But come to think of it, I thought RKB has an OVA going, so if the OVA is story-related, they can place some volumes in there, then there would be more room for the Keishin-ST official match. Otherwise, they could either go for 24 episodes or cut out a lot of stuff.

Speaking of the Keishin-ST official match, it sure was weird to see the hero team pitted against the rival team so early into the tournament. Usually, they don't meet until around the semi-final round, or the quarter-final round if the hero team is a massive underdog. Keishin definitely has an underdog theme going for them, since they were able to match Suzuritani, a team known for producing championships within so many years. Even Natsuhi was surprised that Tomoka's team of five players lost only by a single point to a very good and fully-manned team like ST.

So while it kind of made sense that they would meet at the very first round of the official tournament, I still fear that Keishin will lose this match, given Aoyama-sensei's penchant for playing around with sports tropes for shock value (since following them all the time would be boring). I really hope Keishin would win this time, not only because they're the hero team, but because I think the story would end quickly whether Keishin wins or loses this match.

I have a feeling that the author wants to end this quickly, but I would like to know what you feel about it. If the author intended ST to be Keishin's sole opponent for the official tournament, that would be pretty disappointing since I for one, would want Keishin to win the championship.
Old 2013-03-12, 04:23   Link #335
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Alright, here it is.

Images
Keishin #7 - Airi Kashii (Center)
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

It's not the best shot of the Keishin uniform so far (there are better ones at the Keishin-Suzuritani match section, somewhere around Scene 4 or 5. It shows two pages of all the 10 members of the Keishin girls team in their basketball uniforms), but please deal with it for now. I'm currently in a remote area with a very slow connection.

Suzuritani kept those tops they wore when they met Keishin the first time, but they're now wearing skirts with spats underneath.

Now, if real-life basketball girls start wearing this type of uniform in official games (screw those baggy shorts, frilly skirts with spats underneath is the best!)...

Now that I think of it, Keishin actually reminds me of the Kobe-Gasol era Los Angeles Lakers (particularly the 2010 edition), considering that Maho's game-winner in the girls vs boys match looks similar to Metta World Peace's (then known as Ron Artest) game-winner against the Phoenix Suns in the 2010 Western Conference Finals.

Spoiler for KS Lakers:

So, what do you think?

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-03-12 at 05:02.
Old 2013-03-12, 06:56   Link #336
AP24

^Here is the pic of the entire team in Keishin uniform

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by AP24; 2013-03-12 at 07:21.
AP24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-12, 07:24   Link #337
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

Thanks a lot. That's pretty awesome. Now if someone manages to color this...

- Right Page = The Starting Five, Left Page = The Bench Mob
- Hinata sure looks bustier in that jersey.
- Saki and Masami got their Game Face ON.
- Airi looks more badass than her first appearance.
- Kagetsu sure looks taller than her first anime appearance.
- I think you should keep your long hair tied in real life basketball because long hair could get in the way of anything during the game. But since this is fiction, I guess long hair won't get in the way.
- What the... no spats underneath? O_O At least ST has their spats on.

- Now that I think of it, how do you tell Tsubahi from each other?
- Do you think the RKB anime would be epic if Airi ever pulls off a slam dunk? It could be possible since the rim in youth basketball is placed lower than the regular one.

Last edited by judasmartel; 2013-03-12 at 07:36.
Old 2013-03-12, 07:43   Link #338
sandhy88
Faithfull Reader

^^ No spat coz to stimulus Subaru and reward for his training.

BTW why Hinata has a sharp look? Not innocent like her anime look.
Old 2013-03-12, 07:46   Link #339
judasmartel
神の金槌 (ユダ=マーテル)
*Author

I understand if it's just to stimulate Subaru, but man, if this thing ever gets animated like that, there will be lots and lots of blood.

As for Hinata, maybe to show how much she improved through the course of her training? We have yet to see her new and improved special move against bigger defenders, so let's watch out for that. It's going to be a Derrick Rose-type of awesome.
Old 2013-03-12, 09:25   Link #340
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
But come to think of it, I thought RKB has an OVA going
Pretty sure there isn't one, but they are releasing a second PSP game.

I haven't played the games but somehow just from reading the descriptions gives me the impression that they don't quite fit into the novel story line.

Quote:
I still fear that Keishin will lose this match
I think Keishin would win, only because Suzuritani raised some serious death flags.

Spoiler:

Quote:
because I think the story would end quickly whether Keishin wins or loses this match.
Well taking into consideration that a) the story is now at December only and b) new term won't begin until April ie Subaru can't play basketball for another four months and that c) national tournament is in Feb/March, the road map seems to have been laid out quite well that there would at least be 2~3 more volumes to deal with. Even without the basketball stuff you have some very special holidays to write stories - Christmas/New Years, Valentine, graduation etc. So can't really see the story ending any time soon.

Quote:
- Hinata sure looks bustier in that jersey.
Hinata is supposed to have the biggest chest after Airi.

Quote:
- Kagetsu sure looks taller than her first anime appearance.
It was mentioned that she's growing quite fast the last few months after the summer holidays.

Quote:
- Now that I think of it, how do you tell Tsubahi from each other?
Supposedly the colour of their hair are of different shades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhy88 View Post
BTW why Hinata has a sharp look? Not innocent like her anime look.
Just the way she's drawn. Though even out of the 3 media (novel, anime, manga) the anime Hinata is drawn the most "moe" with the biggest eyes and harmless out of the 3.

Tags
comedy, shounen