AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-03, 03:35   Link #81
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Translation is an art, not a science.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-03, 23:44   Link #82
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Translation is an art, not a science.
Translation has more of a science than of an art, because translation depends on *accuracy*.
It's a translator's job to actually *translate* what the original text said, while staying as close to the original as possible (without sounding unnatural).
You can't simply make up random stuff (or change around stuff however you see fit) and then even claim that it's "perfectly valid". That's got nothing to do with *translation* anymore

Just because there are so many bad examples of how a translation *shouldn't* look like (CrunchyTroll often has it pretty bad there), doesn't suddenly make it right.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 02:28   Link #83
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Who said art is not science and vise versa?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 02:40   Link #84
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Going off-topic but art is quite a science. Rules of composition, etc, etc how light interacts with surfaces and volumes, etc, etc there's a lot there.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 03:53   Link #85
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Translation has more of a science than of an art, because translation depends on *accuracy*.
It's a translator's job to actually *translate* what the original text said, while staying as close to the original as possible (without sounding unnatural).
You can't simply make up random stuff (or change around stuff however you see fit) and then even claim that it's "perfectly valid". That's got nothing to do with *translation* anymore .
Translation is about adaptation. English and Japanese are very different languages and in many cases you cannot translate things 1:1 without them sounding unnatural.
In any case, translating 派手にいくぜ as "let's do it with style" is perfectly valid.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-04, 04:02   Link #86
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
In any case, translating 派手にいくぜ as "let's do it with style" is perfectly valid.
I agree, it's a pretty good translation.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 00:00   Link #87
Shimapan
Try me! <3
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Translation is about adaptation.
No, it's certainly not - unless you have some seriously whacked-out preconception like: "The audience who is watching this crap is just inbred hillbillies which can't count to three, so let's adapt it for them" or "Anime is just cartoons, and cartoons are for little kids, so we need to dumb this down" or anything the likes.

Official "translators" (ahem), especially in the US, all too often fall in one of the two categories, which is one of the reasons for fansubbing - to have subs which don't insult anyone with at least a few working braincells left.

Translation is about transporting content from one language to another language, while keeping as much of the original intact as possible.
Making ample use of adaptions and localisations, taking liberties and what not will only make people on the mental level of a three-year-old happy, but it's an insult to anyone with at least a few working braincells left. Thus, such "translations" only deserve to be flushed down the toilet, and nothing else.

Back on topic, first episode will be aired on April 8th - I think this wasn't already mentioned.
__________________
Shimapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 01:15   Link #88
Kaisos Erranon
Homo Ludens
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Canada
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
Translation is about transporting content from one language to another language, while keeping as much of the original intact as possible.
Making ample use of adaptions and localisations, taking liberties and what not will only make people on the mental level of a three-year-old happy, but it's an insult to anyone with at least a few working braincells left. Thus, such "translations" only deserve to be flushed down the toilet, and nothing else.
So, what you're saying is that only stupid people like to read things in something actually approaching proper English.
All opinions are valid, I guess! You can keep yours though.
__________________
Kaisos Erranon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-05, 01:28   Link #89
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimapan View Post
"Let's be gaudy!" XD
That certainly sounds curious. uu~ nyaa~ uu~ nyaa~ let's gaudy!
In my first year of fan-translation a few years back, I would probably translate to something like this. Partially due to inexperience, partially due to laziness, partially due to the fact that my ability to express thoughts and words in English has been waning since high school, partially due to me being a bit of a nazi on some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Translation is about adaptation. English and Japanese are very different languages and in many cases you cannot translate things 1:1 without them sounding unnatural.
In any case, translating 派手にいくぜ as "let's do it with style" is perfectly valid.
Right now, I will probably agree and go with this, or something like "let's start season 2 with a bang". There may be something better, but I don't feel like using my brain cells now.

Just my personal opinion though.

In any case, if you guys want to continue debating on this, I recommend necro-ing this thread:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ht=translation

This is also a good read or discussion place:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...nslation+guide


Incidentally, if I'm not wrong, this is the first GA series that got a second season
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 09:59   Link #90
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
NSFW
sample
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 10:17   Link #91
bakAnki
あやせたんの剣
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: bakanki.blogspot.com
__________________
bakAnki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 11:14   Link #92
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Nyaruko has a weird way of wearing stockings; I suspect the artist to be a non-cosplaying guy.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 11:28   Link #93
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Nyaruko has a weird way of wearing stockings; I suspect the artist to be a non-cosplaying guy.
I assume you mean she should be bunching the whole thing together and put the toes into the tip first?

No stocking experience myself, but I once tried out long elbow gloves for a costume. That was the conclusion I got for wearing the damn things.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 03:51   Link #94
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
Those are space stockings. Your argument is invalid.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 06:18   Link #95
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
socks philosophy aside.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakAnki View Post
wait, did they just SHARE the same freaking bed!?
without any problems at all?
__________________
TRANSFORMERS
MACHINE ROBO
DIAROBO
GYROZETTER
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-13, 20:24   Link #96
sky black swordman
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
wait, did they just SHARE the same freaking bed!?
without any problems at all?
Answer for both questions: That would appear to be the case!
__________________
Date A Live -Tohka Yatogami
sky black swordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 10:06   Link #97
FlavoryFantasy
┬──┬╯︵ /(.□. \)
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: At one of the greatest libraries in existence
Age: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
socks philosophy aside.....

wait, did they just SHARE the same freaking bed!?
without any problems at all?
Also Nyaruko is not even being disturbed as she's dressing right next to Kuuko.

Did Mashiro man up and make both of them his? Who are these imposters?!?
__________________
Ava/Sig - TheEroKing
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 11:39   Link #98
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Checking the official website, even though there are three end singles, there are five end themes (and one insert song) among them.

So now I just need to add "Leave all behind" and "Extreme Dream" for this joke to work.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 11:41   Link #99
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I assume you mean she should be bunching the whole thing together and put the toes into the tip first?

No stocking experience myself, but I once tried out long elbow gloves for a costume. That was the conclusion I got for wearing the damn things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeisterBabylon View Post
Those are space stockings. Your argument is invalid.
Why don't YOU TWO try wearing a pair.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 17:36   Link #100
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Hastur is boring and annoying...







9001 sanity points and 50 chaos points achieved
__________________
Due to certain circumstances I am now the "Imouto Instructor"
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, parody, sci-fi, seinen, trap

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.