AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Shin Sekai Yori

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 23 Rating
Perfect 10 12 27.91%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 15 34.88%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 27.91%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-13, 05:01   Link #121
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I thought metal only worked against hippies...

I kind of want to see that. Saki plugs the thing in the little critter's butt, and it turns into a HEAVY METAL MONSTER blasting music and vomiting fire and smoke... (I'm sure Saki has a tiny tank top and hot pants somewhere in her backpack. And then Satoru dies of blood loss due to nosebleed.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-03-13 at 05:11.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 01:14   Link #122
Archon_Wing
Sisyphean Crusader
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Making people too mad to respond
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Dear lord, a mass of posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Well it might be amusing to consider that the humans really are so incompetent .

However, the thing is that I truly believed in Tomiko's words when Saki was still a teenager. She truly was proactive in the story, and overcame these emotional moments. She survived these trials and continued to live on with a level head.

That is why her actions in this arc so far have been pretty disappointing to me. I'd expect that since she became an adult, she'd be even more mature and stronger. Instead it almost feels like she has regressed. Granted, I expect she'll do something FINALLY in the next episodes.
Well, like I've said, I think it's fairly reasonable for Saki to regress because all these events are breaking her. On the other hand, I also agree that a protagonist really needs to make a choice for themselves or the show will just devolve to slasher film levels, and that would not be cool.

Certainly not anything incredibly badass, but clearly she must have found something in all these years of introspection. Does Saki have nothing else to offer but a broken soul and fear? Sure it makes sense, but it's not that satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's an interesting observation. And now that I think about it, you're right.

Saki displayed a fair degree of spunk and strength even in the handful of episodes that there were after Shun's death but before Maria ran away. But ever since Maria passed on, Saki has become a bit more passive, and a bit more withdrawn.

It's like losing Maria took the color out of Saki's world, and now the world is so bleak that Saki needs to make an extra effort to push herself forward whereas before it came more naturally.

When you combine the effect that Maria running away had on Saki, along with Saki basically blaming Maria for what's happening now, it's hard to not get the impression of a depressed and jilted lover.
Lol, you're still at it with the yuri shipping! But yea, you gotta wonder why Saki blames Maria so much for all of this. Maria was just that important to her, and now she's left to chasing a shadow of Shun.

Quote:
I'm also very much looking forward to the next meeting between Saki and Yakomaru. I hope it'll have a nice climatic feel to it, and that Saki will stand tall in that moment.
It really depends on what Kiromaru is up to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Can't you guys post better?
No.
__________________
God damn, there's so much bad fanservice out there. Touch me and I'll beat the crap out of you!
You are about to move into areas of the anime industry with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul.

Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 02:57   Link #123
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Granted, I expect she'll do something FINALLY in the next episodes.
I'm still holding out for an ending where she loses and everything goes up in flames (her blaming Maria as the narrator gives me some slim hope), and humanity becomes lobotomized and takes up a role in the rat hegemony that rats had in human society, but it's far more likely at this point that if Maria's child isn't a fiend, and really does self-identify as a rat, and that's why she/he (sorry, everyone calls it a he, but the thing looks like a girl, so confusing), is able to kill humans with impunity, then Saki is going to try (and likely succeed) to connect with that child at some level, to make it realize those silly humans she/he has been killing aren't just insects under the metaphysical magnifying lens.

Though, with 2? 3? episodes left, I can't see any way this actually concludes in a satisfactory way on the whole human/rat/corner humans have put themselves into in response to their cantus situation, and I kind of suspect it's all going to largely be inconclusive on that front, and end on a more personal level of simple closure for Saki and her ties to Maria's child. And, her narration blaming Maria will come across as overly dramatic and largely inconsequential to the actual conclusion of this story.

I'd certainly love to be proven wrong, because I really enjoyed this show up until this arc (and do enjoy most elements of this arc, other than Saki and the knowledge that it has to somehow conclude in 2-3 more episodes).

Last edited by creb; 2013-03-14 at 03:07.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 03:29   Link #124
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
OK, someone please explain to me how and where did Saki ever blame Maria for what's happening now?

Because if you mean that one sentence where she said "if she hadn't been born that tragedy wouldn't have happened" it's not blaming Maria, it's stating a fact. "I had a best friend, I loved her dearly. She almost died when she was born. Ironically, if she had died, that tragedy wouldn't have happened."

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
and that's why she/he (sorry, everyone calls it a he, but the thing looks like a girl, so confusing),
It's a he. He looks like a girl because omg Maria.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-03-14 at 05:20.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 04:28   Link #125
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Saki is going to try (and likely succeed) to connect with that child at some level, to make it realize those silly humans she/he has been killing aren't just insects under the metaphysical magnifying lens.
I don't think that child can even communicate with humans. To make him understand what really happening is nearly impossible.

What interested me is that what Saki will do if everthing falling apart or everything is over. Will she be the one who will manage the community ? What is her new world ? , since the story title is "From the new world".
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 05:44   Link #126
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I don't think that child can even communicate with humans. To make him understand what really happening is nearly impossible.

What interested me is that what Saki will do if everthing falling apart or everything is over. Will she be the one who will manage the community ? What is her new world ? , since the story title is "From the new world".
The title only implies the one thing we shouldn't expect from the ending is the resumption of the status quo.

Because it's Saki, and she's the obvious protagonist, the safe money is on some semblance of peace between the rats and humans, with a new relationship that provides the rats with a more equal partnership.

I'm just really hoping they don't go the safe route.

Spoiler for My preferred ending...:
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 06:40   Link #127
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
^
Saki is connected by the Red String of Fate to a fat vampire with a silly hat, with whom she has an S/M relationship...?

(Sorry, I had to )
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 11:36   Link #128
momonae
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: tamagawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Dear lord, a mass of posts.
Well, like I've said, I think it's fairly reasonable for Saki to regress because all these events are breaking her. On the other hand, I also agree that a protagonist really needs to make a choice for themselves or the show will just devolve to slasher film levels, and that would not be cool.
I disagree. After all, she did what she had to do and she wasn't spent. But come to think of it, maybe the anime emphasized Saki's distress.

Quote:
Certainly not anything incredibly badass, but clearly she must have found something in all these years of introspection. Does Saki have nothing else to offer but a broken soul and fear? Sure it makes sense, but it's not that satisfying.
And I guess the emphasis might be intentionally done by the anime. I had kind of guessed Saki's remembering of and reunion with Shun was planned to be dramatic one. But I was actually impressed by the scene of a long shot of Saki and co. when they were children, which she really cared and miss. It seems to me the childhood arc finally paid off. At least it succeeded in making me empathize with her situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Spoiler for My preferred ending...:
Saki tied to Squealer by a red string?
Spoiler for possibly a spoiler:
momonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 21:33   Link #129
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post
Saki tied to Squealer by a red string?
Spoiler for possibly a spoiler:
*throws up

Sorry... can't help it...

Anyway.. I'm glad to see Shun.. made me cry seeing Saki cry after seeing Shun...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 01:26   Link #130
Dawnstorm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Austria
I wonder, did the tsuchigumo clan ("tarantula") come from Tokyo originally?
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-15, 18:03   Link #131
momonae
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: tamagawa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
I wonder, did the tsuchigumo clan ("tarantula") come from Tokyo originally?
Perhaps not. Tsuchigumo (土蜘蛛) means ground/soil spider and it's not a specific name of a insect species or insect group like other colonies' name are but it is a generic name for spiders which make their nest/trap in soil if you make sense of the name. Another and popular old usage of the term is for ancient Japanese people who were not under Yamato government's control, perhaps this sense is the primary reason of the name of the colony. It perhaps simply indicates their "foreigness" and the fact they are not controlled by the village or the humans and came from outside Japan.
momonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 17:46   Link #132
Guido
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Monterrey, México
Age: 33
Uff! Heavy dialogue I got in this episode.

The notion is that the fiend might actually not be a fiend, but a feral child who did not have his Cantus tampered with due that the Queerats raised him.

Now, since the demise of the Giant Hornet's colony there's been a lot of speculation on Kiroumaru. How can we be sure for Saki to trust him, since Inui put forth on light with theories that Kiroumaru has not properly explained his actions for going with them to Tokyo again, in spite that his first expedition to Tokyo turned quite disastrous?

Finally, I will be honest to comment that Shun's reappearance before Saki did not play enough of an impact to call the closing of this episode memorable or mind-blowing.

The enigma is whether Saki, after recalling her memories about Shun back, has given momentary life to Shun's memory? or is he just an illusion or a construct of her thoughts?
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 09:15   Link #133
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonae View Post



Saki tied to Squealer by a red string?
Spoiler for possibly a spoiler:

Spoiler for Because I couldn't resist. Suggestive writing! You've been warned.:
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 17:27   Link #134
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Because I couldn't resist. Suggestive writing! You've been warned.:
I pity the child more than Mamoru's and Maria's.....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-19, 18:34   Link #135
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for Because I couldn't resist. Suggestive writing! You've been warned.:
"Little Squealer" no no no no nooo This puts the whole "little pet" thing into a whole new dimension x___x) XDDDD
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.