AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-17, 11:19   Link #27021
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Ours is only S$50,000. You guys have it great in Canada and USA.
Here it is even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Am I the only one who thinks banning this guy from the internet for lifetime (obviously his source of porn, i.e. relieve) wasn't such a bright idea?
I agree that removing free porn (aka the internet) only makes it worse, remember tat back in the day the states in the USA that banned playboy (and the like) had higher rape rates.

Last edited by mangamuscle; 2013-03-17 at 11:45. Reason: p.s.
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 11:34   Link #27022
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
In Bible Belt, rift emerges in pro-gay marriage movement
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92C05220130313
Quote:
Chris Hartman, head of Kentucky's Fairness Campaign, spends his time lobbying for a nondiscrimination law that would protect gays and lesbians from losing their jobs or being denied housing because of their sexual orientation.
Wait, what.
They don't have a law preventing discriminatory termination and eviction of gays in Kentucky yet???

Good god.

EDIT: Hmm, upon review, it seems my State doesn't have one either. But the CITY does. Interesting.
__________________

Last edited by aohige; 2013-03-17 at 11:52.
aohige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:00   Link #27023
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
They don't have a law preventing discriminatory termination and eviction of gays in Kentucky yet???
Kentucky is hardly alone.

American jurisprudence uses the strangely-named concept of a "suspect classification" to determine whether a particular type of discrimination rises to the level where it can be resolved by legal redress. While it has been argued that sexual preference constitutes such a class, that view has not been upheld in court. For now, only groups based on race, gender, religion or "alienage" have attained that status.
__________________
SeijiSensei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:23   Link #27024
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
It seems so. A quick search turned up that my county, as well as our capital, has a law that protects employment and housing against discrimination based on sexual orientation. But not the whole state.
__________________
aohige is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 12:40   Link #27025
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Swiss tourist gang raped in central India

Quote:
A Swiss woman has been gang raped in the impoverished central state of Madhya Pradesh in India while on a cycling trip with her husband, police said on Saturday, the latest victim of sexual violence against women in the South Asian nation.
A Swiss female tourist was gang-raped in rural central India, police said on Saturday, the latest victim of sexual violence against women in the South Asian nation.
http://www.france24.com/en/20130316-...ng-raped-india
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 13:33   Link #27026
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Here it is even better



I agree that removing free porn (aka the internet) only makes it worse, remember tat back in the day the states in the USA that banned playboy (and the like) had higher rape rates.
The problem is in how that child porn is produced -- there are still victims.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 14:15   Link #27027
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
And the fact that he was actually giving money to them, IIRC. (Thus funding more child porn projects.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 14:26   Link #27028
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The problem is in how that child porn is produced -- there are still victims.
... and by all means go after people abusing flesh and blood children to create material to distribute, but removing a free person from the internet is wrong no matter how I look at it, it is no different from removing from the internet certain material just because a group say they object to said material.
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 15:13   Link #27029
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
The internet's a tool, like a gun. If someone has a history of using guns to threaten or kill innocent people, then he should not be allowed to have one. Likewise, if someone has a history of using the internet to support the rape of children, then he shouldn't have it either.

(Of course, it begs the question of what those men are doing outside of jails, but that's not the subject.)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 15:16   Link #27030
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
The internet's a tool, like a gun.
The internet is a tool, like a pen, big difference. Mightier than the sword indeed, but it is no gun.
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 15:30   Link #27031
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's the tool by which people who, though indeed morally decadent, would otherwise have no reason to hurt children, are being paid to find, acquire, and rape kids. It is, indeed, mightier than the sword - all the more reason not to leave it in the hands of those who would abuse it so.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 16:23   Link #27032
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's the tool by which people who, though indeed morally decadent, would otherwise have no reason to hurt children, are being paid to find, acquire, and rape kids. It is, indeed, mightier than the sword - all the more reason not to leave it in the hands of those who would abuse it so.
That is why we remove people from society and put them in jails, so that they can no longer continue harming people in particular and society at large. But under your logic, those who by the law of the land are deemed they can reintegrate into society should not be able to open an account in a bank, nor buy a computer or smartphone since those tools used to be part of a conspiracy to harm children. How far is that line of thinking from asking that the internet at large should be prohibited (or heavily regulated) since it is the tool of choice of the worst criminals?

To me is clear they need to go after the people the people that abuse the children and also they should not let go of dangerous individuals just because the are out of money since down the line they will commit another crime and it will cost even more money to the state.
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 16:53   Link #27033
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
It's not my logic that dictates that those people be released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
How far is that line of thinking from asking that the internet at large should be prohibited (or heavily regulated) since it is the tool of choice of the worst criminals?
Pretty far, actually, since it's not based on a priori suspicion of everyone, but on earned suspicion of those who've already faulted.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 20:46   Link #27034
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat
 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mexico
Age: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Pretty far, actually, since it's not based on a priori suspicion of everyone, but on earned suspicion of those who've already faulted.
Then either forget any possibility of rehabilitation and lock people for life (what would that be called, one strike and you are out) or accept the so called rehabilitation system is at fault and renovate it. BTW, if you ask me, everyone is suspicions a priori, would you put the hands over blazing fire for your (unknown) fellow men?
mangamuscle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 22:12   Link #27035
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
China replaces Britain in world's top five arms exporters: report
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92G0L120130318
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 02:21   Link #27036
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
Then either forget any possibility of rehabilitation and lock people for life (what would that be called, one strike and you are out)
For murder or pedophilia? Why not?

Besides, it's a false dichotomy. You don't have to think that someone is 100% trustworthy (or even averagely trustworthy) to release them from jail.

Quote:
or accept the so called rehabilitation system is at fault and renovate it. BTW, if you ask me, everyone is suspicions a priori,
Which is why you think a convicted pedophile is the same as someone who never even had a parking ticket?

Quote:
would you put the hands over blazing fire for your (unknown) fellow men?
Of course not, but not because I'm suspicious of him. It's because I'm not crazy.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 09:40   Link #27037
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
For murder or pedophilia? Why not?
The problem with Pedophilia laws is some of them are so broad is scary. The economist did an article on this in which a 16 years old girl with her 15 years old boyfriend somehow decided to have oral sex in a class. She is now a sex offender for "life." Or a 19 years old and a 18 years old (For a while, NY had a law where a girl has to be 19 to give consent).

is that fair?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 14:24   Link #27038
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
The "sex offender" laws in the US are utterly screwed up when it comes to age of consent with prosecutors looking to score witchburning points for ruining the lives of two consenting teenagers who may be a few months apart in age but one or both are "underage" in that state. And "age of consent" varies wildly -- it is a really good idea if you're a teenager to check the laws from state to state.

When an 18 year old makes love to a 17 year old, both consenting, and gets prosecuted for acts of pedophilia, there had better be massive alarm bells of wrongness going off in your head about the perversity of the laws and the vileness of the prosecutor.
__________________
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 16:54   Link #27039
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The "sex offender" laws in the US are utterly screwed up when it comes to age of consent with prosecutors looking to score witchburning points for ruining the lives of two consenting teenagers who may be a few months apart in age but one or both are "underage" in that state. And "age of consent" varies wildly -- it is a really good idea if you're a teenager to check the laws from state to state.

When an 18 year old makes love to a 17 year old, both consenting, and gets prosecuted for acts of pedophilia, there had better be massive alarm bells of wrongness going off in your head about the perversity of the laws and the vileness of the prosecutor.
It is not just prosecutors, but sometimes parents as well, who aren't used to the idea little Timmy or little Jenny now begin to exploit sexuality. At what level it cross the line from two kids in love to blatant exploitation?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 19:27   Link #27040
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
China pours cash into melting Arctic in bid to win influence

Quote:
At face value, it is not one of the world's most important relationships. When Norway and China fell out two years ago over a Nobel prize awarded to a Chinese dissident, the spat had little wider resonance.

But diplomatic relations are thawing as quickly as Arctic ice and the upshot could be significant for the frigid northern wastes of the planet, which are thought to sit on formidable quantities of mineral reserves.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...ral-investment
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:57.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.