AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > AnimeSuki & Technology > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-26, 18:31   Link #1
Candy72

Windows Professional 64

Forgive my novice ways but I've now failed two attempts at making a boot up disc. On the first attempt I used Nero to make a boot up cd and burned the extract files to the disc. Then I restarted my computer and made sure the motherboard was booting from the cd first. This caused my computer to keep restarting time and time again. So I booted it up from the harddrive.

On the next attempt I used nero again expect for this time I didn't use the boot up fuction that nero offers. Now when I boot up my computer it scans for something on the cd and then goes stright to the hard drive for a normal boot.

As for as I know my computer is good enough to run windows 64. I had the extra hard drive space and I wanted to dual run it with Windows XP just to see what it was like. I have an AMD 3200+ 1 gig of ram, 6600 GT graphic card.

The file I'm trying to get to boot I received from Micorosoft on a 4 month free trial use.
Candy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-26, 21:54   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

This may sound like a dumb question, but are you actually trying to burn an ISO or are you just burning blanks that are "boot CDs"?
Old 2006-01-26, 22:14   Link #3
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

If you burn an ISO, you don't extract or set Nero to make a boot CD or anything. You just burn the ISO and that's that...
Old 2006-01-26, 22:56   Link #4
Candy72

Okay, I'll try to explain. When I first downloaded the file it comes compressed with winrar. I then extracted that to a different folder and burned what was there to the cd. I don't see a single file called ISO.

The file before extracted is called WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN. I'm going to try burning that file alone to a disc and see what happen. And I'm not going to set Nero to boot anything. Post back soon on the results.

Update. I tried just burning the WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN. It doesn't seem to work as a boot up disc.

Update 2. WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN is actually WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso.

Last edited by Candy72; 2006-01-26 at 23:55.
Old 2006-01-27, 00:31   Link #5
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy72
Okay, I'll try to explain. When I first downloaded the file it comes compressed with winrar. I then extracted that to a different folder and burned what was there to the cd. I don't see a single file called ISO.

The file before extracted is called WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN. I'm going to try burning that file alone to a disc and see what happen. And I'm not going to set Nero to boot anything. Post back soon on the results.

Update. I tried just burning the WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN. It doesn't seem to work as a boot up disc.

Update 2. WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN is actually WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso.
Ah...did you try burning the "WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" as a image file in Nero?
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 00:52   Link #6
Candy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
Ah...did you try burning the "WS03SP1_RTM_1830_PX6_EN.iso" as a image file in Nero?
Trying that now. Didn't think that mattered. One more blank cd left after this. So hopefully burning it as a image will work. Before I was burning it as data.

And yep.. that was the problem. Thank you all for the help.

I read on here often as I want to be able to help out. But so far i've been off on everything. Oh well, I'll keep trying : ). I guess you have to start off somewhere. At least I'm learning by reading the different solutions. Besides I have to come here for my anime fix anyway. Thanx again.

BTW. How is a data disc different from a image?
Old 2006-01-27, 01:39   Link #7
ImperialPanda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

A 64-bit compatible OS doesn't mean much. You need processor, drivers, and applications all designed to work with 64-bit instructions.
ImperialPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-27, 06:10   Link #8
Candy72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialPanda
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_image
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

A 64-bit compatible OS doesn't mean much. You need processor, drivers, and applications all designed to work with 64-bit instructions.

Works great. It really improved my games and wasn't to hard to set up the drivers.

Thank you for the links on the differences ImperialPanda.

So far no errors.
Old 2006-01-27, 17:02   Link #9
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy72
BTW. How is a data disc different from a image?
The data disc is just that: data. If you were to burn an ISO to a data disc, you'd just have a disc containing the ISO as data. It's just like how burning MP3s to a disc won't make it an audio CD capable of playing in regular CD players; you'd just have a CD with MP3s on it.

The ISO itself is a CD "image" in data format. Even though it isn't a correct comparison, if you want, you can think of it in terms of the MP3s vs full audio example I gave you for audio CDs. When you burn the ISO as an image, you don't have a CD with the ISO on it, but a CD burned with the full contents of the ISO, including directory layout and what have you. It's a method used to clone CDs without requiring the original CD be physically present, essentially.