AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-21, 03:03   Link #1
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Mobile Police Patlabor [Live Action 2014]

ANN: Mobile Police Patlabor Gets Live-Action Project in 2014



Now this is one unexpected announcement Not quite sure about how I feel about it being live action, but more Patlabor is good
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:09   Link #2
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
It actually works; the show was never about robots, but about a bunch of regular cops who just happened to have giant robots. So other than the obligatory action scene at the end of the film, the rest of the time can be done without much CGI other than having giant robot props in the background.

They can probably hire the KURATAS guys to make a functional cockpit mockup for filming that replicates the TV show.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 03:22   Link #3
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
I Just hope that they don't hand over this franchise to Hollywood. Maybe a little technical help from ILM for the VFX and a more "open-minded" director like Ang Lee but that's it.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 05:26   Link #4
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I Just hope that they don't hand over this franchise to Hollywood. Maybe a little technical help from ILM for the VFX and a more "open-minded" director like Ang Lee but that's it.
All signs point to a Japanese project. Hollywood simply won't touch this show, as the idea of a bunch of cops not saving the world every week is boring to them.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 05:28   Link #5
DRAGUN H.E.X.
DAT Shiny Gunpla~
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: brunei darusalam
Age: 24
Send a message via Yahoo to DRAGUN H.E.X.
i would LOL if the if the Labors were actual functional REAL mechs in behind the scenes in the vein of the Kuratas instead of using some props & CGI for the shooting, i wonder how many dollars would that cost, for only like just two to three real working Labors & still not counting all of those other grunt versions just for some movie shoot?
__________________
GUNDAM SENTINEL
Ice Queen Sumeragi is our friend!!!
support our empire!!!
DRAGUN H.E.X. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 06:01   Link #6
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
I expect nothing more than cockpit props in terms of physical hardware. It is simpler to build a cockpit +CGI ranged shot instead of either having it all CGI bluescreen or to build something fullsize.

Bluescreen acting is too hard. So SOME props would be physical at least. CGI is not always the cheapest option.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 06:04   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
i would LOL if the if the Labors were actual functional REAL mechs in behind the scenes in the vein of the Kuratas instead of using some props & CGI for the shooting, i wonder how many dollars would that cost, for only like just two to three real working Labors & still not counting all of those other grunt versions just for some movie shoot?
Yeah, for now, using CG for a movie is a lot cheaper than actually constructing a real-life customized giant robot. My movie history is a bit rusty, but from what I can remember, the last movie that use actual giant robot is Jurassic Park III for the Spinosaurus. Even movies like Transformers, Terminator Salvation, Real Steel, Avatar, Prometheus, etc already rely more on CGI than actual huge machines.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 06:09   Link #8
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Yeah, for now, using CG for a movie is a lot cheaper than actually constructing a real-life customized giant robot. My movie history is a bit rusty, but from what I can remember, the last movie that use actual giant robot is Jurassic Park III for the Spinosaurus. Even movies like Transformers, Terminator Salvation, Real Steel, Avatar, Prometheus, etc already rely more on CGI than actual huge machines.
Obviously making a robot full size is out.

But there is no question they WILL build a cockpit for real. It is a set piece that would be constantly used and at close quarters to the camera. And the actor/actress would have to interact with it. Making a CGI cockpit would cost too much.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 06:33   Link #9
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Obviously making a robot full size is out.

But there is no question they WILL build a cockpit for real. It is a set piece that would be constantly used and at close quarters to the camera. And the actor/actress would have to interact with it. Making a CGI cockpit would cost too much.
Well, I never said anything about using a cockpit :P. I'm not arguing against it.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 06:48   Link #10
Bri
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Looks interesting. Hope this movie opens the way for another Patlabor anime project as well.
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 07:08   Link #11
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
wow.... a live action seriously? I wish to see the robots works even if its tons of cg.
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 07:14   Link #12
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, I never said anything about using a cockpit :P. I'm not arguing against it.
I am not arguing with you either. :P
Just another point about CGI, it is interesting that during the revolution in CGI film making, there was often times when the studio built complex electronic props of dinosaurs, sharks, etc, and yet ended up never using them because CGI caught up in tech and replaced them entirely during filming.

In the end it is about doing what is the most affordable. Ironic that now stop motion animation all but died out, they are now more expensive to hire than cheap CGI.

Small sets are best done for real. Large sets seen at a distance are best done CGI. Blue Screen is best limited in a small budget because it is costly to do it well.

This is going to be a Japanese production. I am not expecting anything more than direct-to-cable movie quality as the budget would be tight.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 07:48   Link #13
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I am not arguing with you either. :P
Just another point about CGI, it is interesting that during the revolution in CGI film making, there was often times when the studio built complex electronic props of dinosaurs, sharks, etc, and yet ended up never using them because CGI caught up in tech and replaced them entirely during filming.
They abandon Stop-motion but not animatronics. Jurassic Park 1-3 still use animatronic dinos assisted by CG. Even in recent movies like Transformers, Terminator Salvation, Real Steel, they still use some animatronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
In the end it is about doing what is the most affordable. Ironic that now stop motion animation all but died out, they are now more expensive to hire than cheap CGI.
Stop-motion (as VFX, not as movies) officially dead when Spielberg abandoned it after Michael Lantiery showed him how CG was so much better-looking than the jerky stop-motion animation. So, even if (at that time) CG is more expensive than stop-motion, Spielberg will still use CG because it is simply better. Plus, he knew that audience in the 90s can’t be fooled by stop-motion anymore, not after they saw Terminator 2’s T-1000 and the CG effects in The Abyss years prior. They’ll recognize the fake creatures made of clay the minute they see their jerky movements. In short, they abandon stop-motion VFX coz it already looks bad and dated and audience will not buy tickets for action movies that use stop-motion VFX.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 08:16   Link #14
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Electronic props are still often needed when you want interactions with human actors. Or at least, it is the most believable for closeups. We will always have props, it just works better. We use CGI only when props are too expensive.

Blue Screen (Green these days) works, but it is limiting.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 08:02   Link #15
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Some pics of the full-scale Labor models they're using


__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 08:36   Link #16
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coquitlam, BC, Canada/Quezon City, Philippines
Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
I don't know whether to slap my own face or LOL at the Free Uyghur watermark there.

But otherwise yeah, looks like some of the peeps involved in Patlabor are officially attached as production crew.
__________________

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 09:13   Link #17
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Wow, giant robots have become more and more popular in live action movies recently. This year we got Jaegers from Pacific Rim; Bryan Singer is still shooting with Sentinels in his upcoming X-Men: DoFP; Transformers 4 is coming and Patlabor’s Ingram props looks awesome in that pics above. Somewhere, Gundam is sulking at the corner for being left out from the party .
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-03, 09:50   Link #18
LoweGear
Device Meister
*Graphic Designer
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 3 times the passion of the usual flamenco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Somewhere, Gundam is sulking at the corner for being left out from the party .
Gundam did have a live action production once before, G-Saviour.... unfortunately, it tanked bad

Edit:

More shots of the Ingram:


Images
Ingram
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________

On Life: "If you have problem with Ukrainian hard house, you have problem with life. If you have problem with life ... maybe we can fix that."

Last edited by LoweGear; 2013-08-03 at 11:08.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 02:13   Link #19
ElCachicamo
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
Gundam did have a live action production once before, G-Saviour.... unfortunately, it tanked bad

Edit:

More shots of the Ingram:


Images
Ingram
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
OMG this looks awesome, I like it a lot more than those shitty robot designs in Avatar, Pacific Rim, Transformer and Matrix. I wasn't expecting this at all O.O.
ElCachicamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 02:22   Link #20
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCachicamo View Post
OMG this looks awesome, I like it a lot more than those shitty robot designs in Avatar, Transformer and Matrix. I wasn't expecting this at all O.O.
Fixed for you.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.