AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > K-On!

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-23, 13:22   Link #2121
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightMusicBand View Post
Well, I think this is the appropriate place to ask this question...

So, I've always wondered about this: So what does "Moe Moe Kyun" mean? And is a phrase that originally came from K-On? And if not, where did it originally come from?

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

I've always wondered this after seeing Sena from Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai doing a variation of this also...

Spoiler for Sena Moe Moe Kyun:


Well, I hope someone answer me... Thanks...
Let's begin by addressing its meaning. Mo on its own refers to something that is endearing, in particular, for male audiences. This definition is hotly contested, but for this query, it should suffice. Something mo mo would thus have a lot of endearing characteristics. While I'm less certain on this one, kyun sounds like onomatopoeia. Thus, the entire phrase may be seen as a response to cute things.

Sources are conflicting as to whether or not K-On! was the origin of the phrase mo mo kyun. I've heard this phrase thrown around in some Japanese game shows and even Hong Kong game shows, although I am uncertain as to whether or not they predate K-On!. Moreover, I've heard from unverified sources that the phrase was inspired by a trend in Maid Cafs. I myself am inclined to believe that K-on! was not the origins of the phrase, although it certainly did help popularise it. As for its usage in Haganai, the fact that it is there implies that the phrase was probably not unique to K-On! (otherwise, feathers would fly with respect to intellectual property and so fourth )

I hope this sufficiently addresses your points
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 09:38   Link #2122
LightMusicBand
Did you say, HASHIRAMA?!
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: God Knows...
@ForwardUntoDawn: Thanks for that info... really helped...

Now I need to ask this thread something. Is there a genderbent name for Nodoka, I mean what would be a male Nodoka be named? (ex: Yui=Yuu, Ritsu=Rikku). I need it for my "research". I kinda stumbled into the name "Okuda", And thought about the feasibility of a male named "Okuda Manabe" but I'm not very familiar with Japanese names, and I don't know if this is applicable for a first name for a boy (Okuda appears as a Japanese last name in most of my searches). please help me... thanks...
__________________
My YouTube Channel and Soundcloud
"I swear my allegiance under the Red Cloud Organization, for all things Light and Fluffy"...

Last edited by LightMusicBand; 2013-03-31 at 10:25.
LightMusicBand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 19:15   Link #2123
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
There is no similar equivalent to Nodoka with respect to its written form. However, as Nodoka approximates to "peaceful" or "calm" in the name's meaning, we may choose a male name with a similar meaning that begins with an 'n' hiragana. These criteria are statisfied by the name Naoyasu, although how satisfactory this is will depend on your intents and purposes.
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-11, 18:17   Link #2124
HoennSora
Junior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Boston
Did Azusa actually say My Pikachu when she was talking to Nodaka about going over seas? lol
HoennSora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-12, 16:53   Link #2125
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoennSora View Post
Did Azusa actually say My Pikachu when she was talking to Nodaka about going over seas? lol
As far as the original version is concerned, I'm pretty sure that answer is no.

Is this line in the American release?
__________________
Lord of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 09:43   Link #2126
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Who else is excited about the Upcoming Announcment Tomorrow Evening when the Seiyuu of our Five Heroies gather for a "History of K-On Talk"

Hopefully it will be a 3rd Season/2nd Movie announcement!!
__________________
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-15, 17:18   Link #2127
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
I heard hints somewhere that there would be a third season. If there is a third season, you can bet that I'm definitely going to be there to watch it.
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 12:09   Link #2128
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.

Fuck.
__________________
Yui Is My Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 15:00   Link #2129
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Making metal ... for fish
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.

Fuck.
No surprise there. The movie ended the series on quite a positive note, and I suspect KyoAni has no interest in picking it up again. At least, not for quite a while. And I think they've got sound reasons for doing so.

First: There's not really enough material in the two follow-on comics to make another movie. The movie worked because it had forty-one TV/OVA episodes to fit into. Making the follow-on stories into a movie has the problem of having to introduce all these new characters and their backstories, plus all the new settings, within the space of two hours.

Second: While they could've made a TV series or OVA out of the two follow-on series ... a lot of effort was made to focus the series around the YuiAzu dynamic, or the character dynamics of the First Four. Neither follow-on really captures that. The high-school follow-on only has Azusa + miscellaneous characters, and is pretty much a rehash of original K-ON! The college follow-on has the First Four, but it takes place in college ... a place anime directors these days simply don't like to go to. It, too, also rehashes a lot of K-ON! plot standbys; and has the added problem of heavily diluting the character dynamics of the First Four with their experiences in the college music club.

Third: Both follow-on series were relatively poor sellers. Also, KyoAni allowed the production staff of K-ON! to produce an original show of their own, which floated similar art style and was of the same character-driven light-and-fluffy slice-of-moe-life genre as K-ON! ... which also did poorly.

Fourth: KyoAni has, at last count, three projects in the pipe. Four if you count the Chunnibuyo recap movie. For that reason alone, I wouldn't have expected a K-ON! related TV announcement for at least another year.
__________________
Go into the water. Live there. Die there.
GMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-16, 15:11   Link #2130
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
And apparently no news on any new series, movie or OVA as given at all last night.
Mind elaborating on what was said? It'd be much appreciated
__________________
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 12:43   Link #2131
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 33
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I agree with GMT.

On the one hand, I have missed K-On a bit lately, but on the other hand, at least this is one franchise that won't be drove into the ground due to its popularity. Some anime franchises go on well beyond their "best before" date, and I don't think that's the case with K-On! Both K-On!!'s finale episode and the movie effectively ended things on a high note, and it wasn't a painful slog getting there.

But take some cheer. Maybe one day the show will get re-made, Rozen Maiden-style.
__________________
Triple_R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 11:29   Link #2132
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
I really like this anime.. It's really cute.. But I've just wondered something this very moment.. Why do K-On in Japanese is in Hiragana, well in fact it is an English title and is supposedly be written in Katakana.. Weird writers...
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-10, 21:16   Link #2133
ForwardUntoDawn
Operation "sneaky sneaks"
*IT Support
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hic et ubique
K-On! is the romanisation of 軽音 (Keion), or light music. Technically, this is supposed to be the working title. Kanij, however, is derived off Chinese glyphs and thus, is more complex. Katakana is used for transcribing foreign words into Japanese, and since "light music" is not of foreign origin, Katakana is not used. Thus, we are left with Kanji and Hiragana to deal with.

Hiragana has had a long history of usage and is also the most commonly used. As such, it is likely the writing system that viewers have the greatest familiarity with; while I'm not totally sure, a study found the Japanese prefer Hiragana over Katakana, citing the former as giving a warmer feeling to the text owing to the curving aesthetics of Hiragana characters. Because Hiragana is the first writing system Japanese children pick up, it is the one that is most familiar and thus, most friendly-looking. Hiragana is also the writing system that introductory Japanese courses teach. Contrast Keion written as (けいおん) with (ケイオン): the latter is more angular and rough, whereas the former is gentler in appearance. Incidentally, kanji is the last writing system taught, being the most complex to master (unless one had previous experience with the writing system). K-On! isn't a complicated anime by any stretch, so using Kanji to represent the title would subtly undermine the anime's atmospherics.

We now apply this logic to K-On!, a simple, heartwarming anime about a group of high school girls and their halcyon life as high school students. Using Hiragana would imply that the anime itself would be simple, laid-back and fun, descriptors that rather fit what we see nicely.
__________________

Last edited by ForwardUntoDawn; 2013-09-19 at 22:39. Reason: Source for this information
ForwardUntoDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-11, 09:40   Link #2134
SummeryDreams
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardUntoDawn View Post
K-On! is the romanisation of 軽音 (Keion), or light music. Technically, this is supposed to be the working title. Kanij, however, is derived off Chinese glyphs and thus, is more complex. Katakana is used for transcribing foreign words into Japanese, and since "light music" is not of foreign origin, Katakana is not used. Thus, we are left with Kanji and Hiragana to deal with.

Hiragana has had a long history of usage and is also the most commonly used. As such, it is likely the writing system that viewers have the greatest familiarity with; while I'm not totally sure, a study found the Japanese prefer Hiragana over Katakana, citing the former as giving a warmer feeling to the text owing to the curving aesthetics of Hiragana characters. Because Hiragana is the first writing system Japanese children pick up, it is the one that is most familiar and thus, most friendly-looking. Hiragana is also the writing system that introductory Japanese courses teach. Contrast Keion written as (けいおん) with (ケイオン): the latter is more angular and rough, whereas the former is gentler in appearance. Incidentally, kanji is the last writing system taught, being the most complex to master (unless one had previous experience with the writing system). K-On! isn't a complicated anime by any stretch, so using Kanji to represent the title would subtly undermine the anime's atmospherics.

We now apply this logic to K-On!, a simple, heartwarming anime about a group of high school girls and their halcyon life as high school students. Using Hiragana would imply that the anime itself would be simple, laid-back and fun, descriptors that rather fit what we see nicely.
I'm watching K-On and I really like it! and oh my God, I never figured it out.. K-On was actually a romaji word.. I thought it means K - On in English, and that explains why it is in hiragana.. Really cute anime..
SummeryDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-31, 22:23   Link #2135
Night_Music
The End of Light
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I would like to ask:

Was the girl (dressed in black) in the MV of Listen, Mio Akiyama? I mean, was there any statement from the directors of the said MV about it?

Thanks.
Night_Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-22, 23:23   Link #2136
LeBeakofJustice
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The United States of America
In case anyone here watched Accel World, I'm pretty sure the girl at 8:32 of episode 18 (Leading Role) of season 2 who told Mio to talk louder was voiced by the same person who voiced Noumi. I find this interesting considering the two characters are of different gender, but I guess that isn't too uncommon in the world of voice acting.
LeBeakofJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, kyoto animation, light music, moe, seinen

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.