AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-06, 12:49   Link #1
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
AnimeSuki's Radio & DJs Suggestion

Hello & Welcome to the AnimeSuki's Radio & DJs Suggestion thread.

I'll try to round up the whole idea I had in this thread so if you are interested because of the title, please, read the thread to the end.
I have had an idea of AnimeSuki having it's own Radio in which the chosen DJs would play songs and have a touch with the AnimeSuki community listening to the Radio at that time. That includes giving Shout-outs, telling jokes, ... but mostly it would be music.
The main idea of this would be to have the site feel more alive and energetic, due to the Radio being live on air, of course.

Now, the Radio could practically have it's own page, so these are a few ideas I've came up with: (Note again: Please, read to the end)

1. When at the Radio's page, it would be shown which DJ is DJ-ing at that moment (Is On Air) and his/her name would be displayed there. The page would also include a picture in the middle that would represent that DJ. (That DJ would pick it)

2. Under the picture, there would be a Shoutbox/Chatbox that would focus purely on the Radio.

3. The DJs would have their own Panel to DJ on. In it, they would select an .mp3 file to play and fill out the following boxes for it before adding it to the "Play List":

Name - They would fill out the name of the song here, allowing the ones listening to see which is it and prevent possible comments like: "What'z teh name of dis song?"
Genre(s) - They would name the Genre(s) of the song here, allowing the ones listening to know the Genre(s).

4. The "Play List" would allow different kinds of song adding:

Shoot-off - When a current song would end, if the next one would be a Shoot-off, it would start right after the previous one, allowing the performance of a chain-play.
DJ-start - When a current song would end, if the next one would be a DJ-start, the DJ would have to click the "Play" button before it would start playing. (Perfect for giving a little speech between the songs, telling a joke, giving a shout-out or any other kind of reaching to the community)

Note: It would be really wanted for every DJ to record a 3-5 second audio file in which he/she would say: "This is DJ *Name", On Air" and play it between every 8th-9th song or something like that.

Also note that you would have to pick the new songs before the last one would end if you would want to run the Radio smoothly with no blank-outs.

5. The song requests could be made by any member that would be on the Radio's page at that moment. The member would have to click "Request a Song" and write the name of the song. The DJ that would be DJ-ing at that time would then have to pick one of the following options:

Accept - When picking "Accept", the DJ would confirm the song request and include it later. The one requesting the song would be notified about the accept of the song.
Decline - When picking "Decline", the DJ would choose not to include that song. The one requesting the song would be notified about the decline of the song.
Not in Possession -When picking "Not in Possession", the DJ would tell that he/she currently does not possess the file of the requested song. The one requesting the song would be notified about the DJs not possessing of the song.

All the requests would be done in private between the one requesting and the DJ, it wouldn't be shown in public.

6. - The DJs would be picked by AnimeSuki's Site Staff, just like the Moderators are. Of course, the Staff would already have DJ-ing powers in the first place.

That's pretty much it for what I had on my mind.
If I, or anyone else will think of anything else regarding this topic, I'll edit this post and include it.

What I want you to do is comment on these suggestions, maybe add your own suggestion and comment on the whole idea of having a Radio in the first place!

Last edited by Haiprbim; 2013-04-06 at 12:59.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 15:56   Link #2
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
Do you already have DJs/people who want to do this with you, or are you only suggesting it for now?

I think you do not really need animesuki permission to go ahead with a project like this. And from former suggestions like this I'll assume the staff will prefer to not be involved too much (as it means extra work and responsibility). But they usually don't obstruct ambitions either.
So if you have the people and the resources to do this, you could start right away?

For the radio itself:
I do not know about everyone's listening habits, so I'll just base this on my own for now.
Most radios spezialize in a very strict genre.
If I want to listen to music, there is a bunch of radios that I know will play the kind of music I want to hear. And then there is this suggested animesuki radio, where that is most likely not the case.
If the focus is on the music, then i had no reason to tune in (unless I knew DJ X was up and I also knew his music taste loosely matches mine).
The reason to tune in would be, because it's the animesuki radio and I'm a member of the community. But then the tie-in would have to be stronger than just 'DJ's are also members here'.
It would have to reference and react to things happening on the forum.
It would have to have some kind of connection to anime. Reviews, sound bits, news and so on.

Instead of starting a full blown radio live stream, maybe you could start with some prerecorded sessions first?
Make up a nice concept for a 1 hour session, topics, theme, music list. Then record it, put it up on a hosting service, like SoundCloud or others.
Post it in a thread, see what the feedback is.
Then expand from there, more sessions, more DJs and so on?
If you want it to be live, make it an event, get some attention beforehand then have a thread for feedback while streaming.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 16:15   Link #3
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Do you already have DJs/people who want to do this with you, or are you only suggesting it for now?
No, the AnimeSuki's Staff could pick them.

Quote:
I think you do not really need animesuki permission to go ahead with a project like this. And from former suggestions like this I'll assume the staff will prefer to not be involved too much (as it means extra work and responsibility). But they usually don't obstruct ambitions either.
So if you have the people and the resources to do this, you could start right away?
I already DJ on 2 other Sites, I just thought that it could be a nice adding to AnimeSuki as well.

Quote:
For the radio itself:
I do not know about everyone's listening habits, so I'll just base this on my own for now.
Most radios spezialize in a very strict genre.
If I want to listen to music, there is a bunch of radios that I know will play the kind of music I want to hear. And then there is this suggested animesuki radio, where that is most likely not the case.
If the focus is on the music, then i had no reason to tune in (unless I knew DJ X was up and I also knew his music taste loosely matches mine).
The reason to tune in would be, because it's the animesuki radio and I'm a member of the community. But then the tie-in would have to be stronger than just 'DJ's are also members here'.
It would have to reference and react to things happening on the forum.
It would have to have some kind of connection to anime. Reviews, sound bits, news and so on.
As I've said, the DJ would be taking song requests.
And yes, I've also said that there would be times when the DJ would chat about various things like anime, or give shout-outs for example.

Quote:
Instead of starting a full blown radio live stream, maybe you could start with some prerecorded sessions first?
Make up a nice concept for a 1 hour session, topics, theme, music list. Then record it, put it up on a hosting service, like SoundCloud or others.
Post it in a thread, see what the feedback is.
Then expand from there, more sessions, more DJs and so on?
If you want it to be live, make it an event, get some attention beforehand then have a thread for feedback while streaming.
I've already got a lot of feedback for me as a DJ, I know how to do it.
This thread was not created to focus on me, but AnimeSuki.
I already DJ at 2 other Sites, as I have said, I just thought (As a mean-only-good) that AnimeSuki could use a Radio as well.

I could guide you on how to have one.
For starters, I would suggest Spreaker.com as a Radio Website.

Would like to see some "heads" of AnimeSuki to respond to this idea, since once again, it is about AnimeSuki having a Radio, not me, I already do DJ.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 16:36   Link #4
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 28
I think this is a really nice idea. It would be a lot of work, but would further bring the community together. There is one potential problem, though: broadcasting fees. Even "small" broadcasters like Japanaradio and 91.8 The Fan have to pay royalties on the music that they play (these are American internet broadcasters playing Japanese music). I don't know the exact laws over when payment is required for internet broadcasting; while we might be able to get away with no issues for a while, my guess is that sooner or later the issue would come up. Having the "AnimeSuki" title tied to it would likely cause any legal requests to be sent to the AnimeSuki administrators.

Since you already DJ through other web broadcasting, do you know more about the legalities of broadcasting and royalties? Can you comment on it?
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 16:44   Link #5
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Since you already DJ through other web broadcasting, do you know more about the legalities of broadcasting and royalties? Can you comment on it?
I know quite a lot of Radio Websites to DJ Live on, an example for beginning is Spreaker.com.
You can find a short Tutorial for it here.
I've used it for only a short time, but if I remember correctly, up to 10 hours of .mp3 files can be uploaded and played if you are using it for free.

For a more professional usage, a group of my friends have created a program themselves to DJ on and it is really user-friendly.

I would first have to hear the opinions from the Staff members on this idea before giving out further information about the system itself.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 17:15   Link #6
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I would first have to hear the opinions from the Staff members on this idea before giving out further information about the system itself.
As Dhomochevsky said, our standard answer for these sort of projects is to go for it if you have interest and can wrangle the needed help, but we probably wouldn't "sanction" it as an official project or have the staff run it. At best we could provide a bit of promotion for the fan project on the forum to draw people's attention to it, or maybe (if the project grows to that level) provide a space on the forum specific to the project (as we did that at least once before). That way the people who are passionate about the project can run with it, rather than the existing staff having to be a bottleneck for a project that we have no expertise in. Also, I don't think we'd necessarily want to be responsible should there be some issues (legal or otherwise) related to content aired on the program, or feel responsible for maintaining/preserving the project should the people involved with it lose interest.

But anyway, as was said, our regular policy is basically to not endorse or manage these things, but also not to generally get in the way. It's the standard disclaimer: "The views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of AnimeSuki.com."
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 17:21   Link #7
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
I see.
Well, it was an idea that focused directly to AnimeSuki, not something I would want AnimeSuki to help me with, as I've said.

Like you've said, it seems this is not really necessary.
Was just an idea to make the community more "alive", hope you will give it some thought to possibly include something like a Radio in the future.

I won't lie, if this would actually come in action, I would love to DJ here as well, but I don't really want to do it on my own now and get some help because I have it on a way higher level already at some other sites.

I hope you understand and thanks for your posts, all three of you.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
djs, radio

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:25.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.