AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-07, 20:08   Link #301
blackwhite67
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
I wonder who the main antagonist will be? Also, what's Ledo going to do about Chambers limited power supply?
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:21   Link #302
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
As soon as I heard Gen was doing a sci-fi/mecha show for Production IG I knew it was going to be the show to watch this season.

That was a great start.

So, it looks to be a floating city of some type, travelling the oceans.

The insinuation seems to be that in all the years humanity spread throughout the stars, they never found a planet they could set foot on and habitate.

The only downside I see is this appears to be only 11-13 episodes.

His society seems to be very Gen/Japanese, in its rigidity. Kind of like the Romans, using citizenship as a carrot to keep the war machine filled with bodies. I wonder if it plays any actual part in things, or if it was all just background, and the entire story deals with his interactions with the Earthlings.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:23   Link #303
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
speculations from the first two episodes. spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler:
__________________
2014 Summer: Kindaichi Returns, Aldnoah Zero,
Gundam-San, Rail Wars! Sword Art Online II.

Last edited by Hata; 2013-04-07 at 20:58.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:23   Link #304
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwhite67 View Post
I wonder who the main antagonist will be? Also, what's Ledo going to do about Chambers limited power supply?
I think it may be possible that it has unlimited power supply or something.
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:43   Link #305
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
speculations from the first two episodes. spoiler tag just in case.

Spoiler:
This being Gen, it would be very realistic that the powers that be know of Earth's existence. Using the war as population control would also be very Gen-like.

On the other hand, they are obviously veeeeeeeeeeeeery far away from Earth, since there were no stars Chamber recognized, so in that sense, the powers that be in Avalon may have no idea where Earth is.

I wonder if all the white hair/skin is due to genetic engineering, or if that's just a result of generations of living in space.

Which brings me to the question of population. Avalon doesn't seem like it can support all that many people. If humanity has been spreading through the stars for...well...a really long time, you'd think there'd be a heck of a lot more of them.

I mean, sure, obviously they suffer large casualties fighting, if the battle was indicative of a normal fight, but humans have relatively long upkeep in maintaining and growing populations. So, it would appear that Avalon's population of "real" citizens is a super small fraction of the population, with the vast majority apparently living in really large ships.

Take our protagonist. He's been in "service" for 16 years (I have no idea how old he is, but it would suggest this society throws their people into war from a very early age). Looking at the casualties, surviving that long seems like it'd be a rare feat. :/ He's only now able to apply for limited citizenship. I wonder if everyone on Avalon is a long-term survivor of war, or if you're born on Avalon, you're automatically a citizen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
I think it may be possible that it has unlimited power supply or something.
I seem to recall him stating there was only a little bit of power left, and they would have to be careful with it.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:47   Link #306
DuelGundam2099
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
*raises hand* I heard the director or writer has a habit of making super depressing endings, it this true? Depending on the answer will give me consideration in whether or not to see this.
__________________

I will return one day, I promise that much.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:49   Link #307
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
*raises hand* I heard the director or writer has a habit of making super depressing endings, it this true? Depending on the answer will give me consideration in whether or not to see this.
I think that's a drastically overblown reputation. They're rarely sunflowers and rainbows, but they usually end with some form of hope, even if there's also often sadness and loss.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:51   Link #308
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
*raises hand* I heard the director or writer has a habit of making super depressing endings, it this true? Depending on the answer will give me consideration in whether or not to see this.
If you watched Fate/Zero and Madoka, then you can expect some form of tragedy in this series too.
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:54   Link #309
Ashlotte
Clockwork
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I think that's a drastically overblown reputation. They're rarely sunflowers and rainbows, but they usually end with some form of hope, even if there's also often sadness and loss.
Yea they aren't generic "happy" endings, but he's no Tomino or Anno during their depression periods.
__________________

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:55   Link #310
YourIdeas
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Definitely one of the stronger starts to the season I've seen. The universe is very easy to get immersed into and has a very interesting background to it. From what I'm taking in, humanity has essentially spread out enough that the "sophisticated" has to live in space, and any other pockets of populations are essentially separated enough that even Earth is now an unusual location.

Apparenace wise, Ledo reminds me of Shuu from Guilty Crown (mainly the eyes), which makes me think that if Guilty Crown wasn't such a fuck up, it could've been this show. That's about as far as that comparison will go though.

The "primitive" people provide a very interesting contrast to Ledo in appearance and technology. The development between Amy and Ledo should be interesting to watch.

Overall, very excited about this show.
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:57   Link #311
Hata
時の異邦人
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Emerald City
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Which brings me to the question of population. Avalon doesn't seem like it can support all that many people. If humanity has been spreading through the stars for...well...a really long time, you'd think there'd be a heck of a lot more of them.
in ep 1, Avalon is described as MAN MADE with 470 MILLION CITIZENS, and Avalon is shown as many pods connected together to form a giant structure, each pod kind of like a ctiyship, so Avalon can be strung together bead like with as many pods as they want, but they also shown many pods being destroyed by Hedious. since people without citizenship is denied to be on board Avalon, I can only assume before that they live on ships, with computer AI regulate their sleep, and more important, reproduction, etc. which explain why 16-17 years old is the threshold for citizenship.
__________________
2014 Summer: Kindaichi Returns, Aldnoah Zero,
Gundam-San, Rail Wars! Sword Art Online II.
Hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 20:58   Link #312
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourIdeas View Post
Definitely one of the stronger starts to the season I've seen. The universe is very easy to get immersed into and has a very interesting background to it. From what I'm taking in, humanity has essentially spread out enough that the "sophisticated" has to live in space, and any other pockets of populations are essentially separated enough that even Earth is now an unusual location.

Apparenace wise, Ledo reminds me of Shuu from Guilty Crown (mainly the eyes), which makes me think that if Guilty Crown wasn't such a fuck up, it could've been this show. That's about as far as that comparison will go though.

The "primitive" people provide a very interesting contrast to Ledo in appearance and technology. The development between Amy and Ledo should be interesting to watch.

Overall, very excited about this show.
I just pretend Production I.G never did Guilty Crown, so I can keep them on the pedestal I do.

I wonder if there are bidding wars now for Gen's writing skills between the studios.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hata View Post
in ep 1, Avalon is described as MAN MADE with 470 MILLION CITIZENS, and Avalon is shown as many pods connected together to form a giant structure, each pod kind of like a ctiyship, so Avalon can be strung together bead like with as many pods as they want, but they also shown many pods being destroyed by Hedious. since people without citizenship is denied to be on board Avalon, I can only assume before that they live on ships, with computer AI regulate their sleep, and more important, reproduction, etc. which explain why 16-17 years old is the threshold for citizenship.
Didn't they say he had put in 16 years of service (or 145k hours), so only now he was eligible for taking leave on Avalon? I think there's a difference between saying, "hey, you're 16 years old, now you get to party" and 16 years of service, but I guess we'll have to see, assuming we actually see more of that society at all.

By the way, the part where he pats the girl on her ass to get her to talk some more was pure gold.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-07 at 21:55.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:03   Link #313
blackwhite67
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
If you watched Fate/Zero and Madoka, then you can expect some form of tragedy in this series too.
I just found out about Urogen's sadistic streak. Gargantia really looks positive and vibrant so I hope UroGen will keep the tragedy toned down. I want a "happy" ending from him for a change. I'm pretty sure three of his works have already turned me into a latent criminal.
blackwhite67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:08   Link #314
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 23
As long as Ledo and Amy doesn't die, I think it may be fine.

Which means, that side characters such as Saaya, Melty and Pinion may die somehow in the future. If Urobutcher seriously goes sadistic again and decides to kill the main heroine, then... yeah... Nice going Urogen...
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:27   Link #315
ginger02
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
As far as his age, given that Amy is 15, maybe he is 16. Or around there. When they said service, perhaps they were indicating that he's been a member of that system since birth.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:31   Link #316
SQA
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
Yea they aren't generic "happy" endings, but he's no Tomino or Anno during their depression periods.
For all of the "Gen the Butcher" writing, he's not even in the same league of slaughter as "Kill'em All Tomino" during the bad period. Which is kind of funny, when you think about it. In any other genre, Gen could probably be counted on to be very dark and kill lots of his cast. In Mecha, he'll have to try hard to even get a kill count in the top 10 of all-time.

Oh, and apparently while he's writing it, it's not actually his original concept. So, it might be a little less lethal.
SQA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:56   Link #317
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Also, crazy speculation time, why do you think he picked up the tooth?
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:07   Link #318
Clarste
Human
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Also, crazy speculation time, why do you think he picked up the tooth?
Looks like he's carving a flute out of it or something. He had one floating around in his cockpit when he woke up for the first time in the episode too, so he probably just collects them.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:10   Link #319
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Looks like he's carving a flute out of it or something. He had one floating around in his cockpit when he woke up for the first time in the episode too, so he probably just collects them.
Ah good catch. I guess he's been almost eaten a number of times then.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:13   Link #320
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NJ, USA
Age: 25
That was beautiful. Lol after so much time he can only get limited situation and a vacation trip. I wonder if him being out of it for 6 months will mean anything. Since they tried to throw everything at that enemy and still had to retreat, maybe there's no place for him to go back to. Though he lucked out and ended up on earth.
__________________
ars89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, harem, mecha, military, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.