AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-04-02, 09:09   Link #601
Xagzan

It was unnerving seeing Joffrey being such a...not-douche.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-03, 14:32   Link #602
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
It was unnerving seeing Joffrey being such a...not-douche.
Joffrey was not douchey to Sansa to...when he wasn't king, and Robert and Ned could have smacked his shit for misbehaving. As soon as Sansa became a hostage, and she didn't have heavily armed northern soldiers around her, he began abusing her.

Joffrey is nice to Margery now because she came to Kings landing with her families army that helped save the city. The soldiers of her families army are currently all over kings landing. She's also quite often accompanied by her brother, who despite his pretty boy looks, is one of the top 25 warriors in Westeros.

One shouldn't mistake this reluctance on Joffrey's part as intelligence though. Joffrey is an idiot. But fortunately for him, he's also a coward. He doesn't try to pick on people who can hurt him.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 06:26   Link #603
Mr Hat and Clogs
Troublemaker Fanclub

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Everyone likes Arya =03...except Geoffrey(or however you spell his name (>.>)).

Originally I thought Margeary was another scheming b****, given the way she positioned herself to end up as Geoffrey's husband and future queen, but I may have been preemptive on that assessment. That was a considerate gesture towards those orphans. She didn't even mind walking in the mud or muddy waters. Also, the battle between her own ideals and that of Cersei's about that was great too. It made me realize that Margeary's a FAR cry stronger than Sanza, so much so, that even Geoffrey approves and believes in her actions, and that's saying something. You can tell Cersei was not amused.
[cut]

Really liked this episode though. Dragons... look awesome, but they do look a little 'pasted in' in certain shots. The Warlock attack was interesting, bit of a change to the books if i remember correctly. I guess they shall be a bit of a recurring enemy for her.

I've also heard (hearsay!) that they will have to condense the story a bit in coming seasons, and may have to overtake GRRM - because the actors will out age the show, particularly the younger ones. Apparently GRRM is going to give them a gist of where he is taking the story though, so it might not be *too* different from the books, but might not be as close as it is now. Which will no doubt annoy folks. heh. TBH I'd just be happy to see an ending of either of them before GRRM dies.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-04-04 at 10:30. Reason: removed spoilers...
Mr Hat and Clogs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:13   Link #604
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
YouTube
Old 2013-04-04, 08:22   Link #605
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Coming to this part, Khaleesi's army become the strongest with dragon, veteran knights and strong soldiers. I'm not sure what John Snow was thinking. Did he really want to leave the crows or he was just pretending ?

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 08:32   Link #606
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
Coming to this part, Khaleesi's army become the strongest with dragon, veteran knights and strong soldiers. I'm not sure what John Snow was thinking. Did he really want to leave the crows or he was just pretending ?
He's pretending to join the Wildlings so he can find out about their plans and report them to the Night's Watch.
Old 2013-04-04, 09:05   Link #607
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

I still don't understand why Night Watch must be calibrate. Nothing inspire warriors than defending their home and families, and having sons carrying on the tradition. No wonder the current Night's watch is a fraction of the old.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 10:00   Link #608
erneiz_hyde
Indifferent

Probably similar to the Jedi code. Love can be inspirational, but it's not that hard to view it as something distracting and possibly dangerous.
Old 2013-04-04, 10:55   Link #609
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I still don't understand why Night Watch must be calibrate. Nothing inspire warriors than defending their home and families, and having sons carrying on the tradition. No wonder the current Night's watch is a fraction of the old.
i think i heard that it's not about being celibate but rather they just cant take wives or father children. Apparently there are brothels frequented by those of the night watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Probably similar to the Jedi code. Love can be inspirational, but it's not that hard to view it as something distracting and possibly dangerous.
I also heard that Jedi's could have sex as long as they formed no emotional attachments over it.

Last edited by cyberdemon; 2013-04-04 at 11:08.
cyberdemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-04, 10:59   Link #610
AmeNoJaku
dead-pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
He's pretending to join the Wildlings so he can find out about their plans and report them to the Night's Watch.
That's one way to put it... another would be that he has no clue and/or plan, like most characters in the series... maybe with the exception of Littlefinger, but this was the author's rewrite about ten years into the creative process.
Old 2013-04-04, 11:00   Link #611
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

Men of the Nights Watch are supposed to hold no allegiance what-so-ever to any cause other than keeping what is north of the wall form coming south, living or dead.

Jon Snow is a good example. If he was still a member of the Stark household he would be duty bound to ride to Robb's aid and avenge his "father". The men on the wall can't be worried about what is going on in the ever tumultuous seven kingdoms political game. They have to stay and fight with no other distractions.

The Wall has a great deal of history and tragedy that is not covered in the show and probably won't be, but it is clear that bad things happen when men on the wall are allowed too much freedom to think of anything other than their duty to the cause.

That said, most of the Men of the Nights watch are not really celibate, there is a whole slew of whores in Moletown (south of the wall) who have crow bastards. They just don't want any confusion as to where loyalty should lay.
Old 2013-04-05, 06:05   Link #612
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Old 2013-04-05, 08:14   Link #613
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tougarashi View Post
I'm not sure what John Snow was thinking. Did he really want to leave the crows or he was just pretending ?
No. Jon was ordered by Qhorin to infiltrate the wildlings as a spy. To make it more convincing, Qhorin forced Jon Snow to kill him. Later he had to come up with a good sounding explanation for why he defected, so he picked something that sounded true to himself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Martin probably based the celibacy rule on historical medieval monastic warrior orders, not the Jedi.

While that's an issue, you also need to consider it's an inheritance/property issue. The nights watch order has a significant chunk of land allocated to it to provide for the members on the borders. If the Knights watch could father legitimate heirs there'd be a motivation for the Nights Watch to give that land to their children, rather than to use it expressly for supporting the nights watch.
Old 2013-04-06, 06:47   Link #614
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
No. Jon was ordered by Qhorin to infiltrate the wildlings as a spy. To make it more convincing, Qhorin forced Jon Snow to kill him. Later he had to come up with a good sounding explanation for why he defected, so he picked something that sounded true to himself.
Yes, now I remembered. Qhorin did sacrifice himself to let John to join the wildlings. John Snow won't waste that. To come to think that wildling fight for the night walkers and live outside the wall, it's quite inspirational. They are far better than the fat guy who feed the nightwalkers with babies in so many ways. I won't be disappointed even if John Snow join the wildlings for real. And another thing is that I don't think crows can defeat nightwalkers by themselves. It will be interesting to see if the wildlings come to help them in the end since they are fighting for the same course. It's quite far fetched though

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-06, 10:52   Link #615
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Oh College Humor.

YouTube
Old 2013-04-06, 12:00   Link #616
Guernsey
The GAP Man

Send a message via AIM to Guernsey Send a message via MSN to Guernsey Send a message via Yahoo to Guernsey
YouTube

this is even funnier.
Old 2013-04-06, 13:23   Link #617
james0246

Impressive first episode for a new season. While centered on two grand performances by great character actors (the indomitable Charles Dance returning as Tywin Lannister; and the always fun Ciarán Hinds as "the King Beyond the Wall" Mance Rayder - these actors and their corresponding scenes are among the best the series has to offer), it was really the women that dominated this first episode.

I commented previously how impressed I've become with Sophie Turner's portrayal as Sansa, so it shouldn't come as a shock that her acting has only continued to impress me. Sansa's brief scene with Shae and Littlefinger, while simple in scope, was filled to the brim with Sansa's continued quest for some semblance of control in her life. Sansa is a trapped character (just as all the women in King's Landing are), desperately seeking escape, she'll even turn to pointless children's games in hopes of diverting her emotional suffering (children's games that even her attendant Shae eventually refuses to partake in). Sadly, she still hasn't realized that the childish games she wants to be real are preventing her from fully grasping the true terror of the situation she is in (a situation Littlefinger's attendant warns Shae about). Woefully unprepared, and deliberately ignorant (though not completely without guile), she is still attempting to simply survive King's Landing rather than conquer or control.

Which is in direct contrast to Natalie Dormer's Margaery and Lena Headey's Cersei, both Quuens who bend the world to their favour (though Cersei had to bend herself over just to get the world). Both Queens used every resource at their disposal to control and dominate their 'Kings'. Cersie had to use her body (for which she hates herself and Robert) and mind, while Margaery has set out to fully control the kingdom by fully controlling the populace first then finally the King. While both are in direct contrast to Sansa (who refuses to even attempt to control her situation), they are also in direct conflict with each other. Their brief scene near the end of the episode is centered fully on which Queen can control the ever childish and out-of-his-depth Joffery. Their "fight" is just as viscous as anything we've seen with a sword, and the acting is particular subtle yet endlessly interesting. Slight gestures and subtle remarks swing across the dinner table as both Queen jostle for position of control over Joffery. They understand that they can never have control by themselves, so they will control the figurehead hoisted in place. (Personally, I can't wait to see a scene between the two only with Tywin also in the room, now that will be fun).

And finally, in direct contrast with even these Queens, is the final contender for the throne, Emilia Clarke's Daenerys Targaryen. While given very little to do in Season 2, Dany comes out charging in the first episode of Season 3. Dany's story is, in some ways, the most evocative of the series. While she is attempting to assume control over an entire nation, in reality she is more purposely trying to assume control over her own life, a life once ruled by men on all sides (and with many still attempting to rule over her). It is this lack of control, often shown through direct slavery, that Dany's story takes place as she constantly fights against these powers. While Clarke's portrayal of Dany has often been a little too understated, the growing scope and size of this story threatens to overtake the entire series.

With good direction, even if somewhat slow pacing, and some great acting, GoT is off to a great start. 84/100

Last edited by james0246; 2013-04-08 at 10:53.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 21:07   Link #618
GDB

Enjoyed the second episode, outside of Theon's part. Especially enjoyed Arya's scene, though it'd have been nice if she had parried at least one swing before being disarmed. Sansa... not sure if what she just did was smart or not.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:16   Link #619
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Enjoyed the second episode, outside of Theon's part. Especially enjoyed Arya's scene, though it'd have been nice if she had parried at least one swing before being disarmed. Sansa... not sure if what she just did was smart or not.
If nothing else, the Tyrells aren't exactly enamored with the Lannisters, and they don't really have anything to gain be betraying Sansa to them. Especially when Margery is only avoiding a similar setup to what Sansa ended up with because she's VERY emotionally astute at stepping around Joffrey's pissy whims.

also. Brienna Versus Jamie was bloody awesome.
Old 2013-04-08, 00:07   Link #620
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Is it wrong that I found the Margery/Joeffery crossbow scene incredibly hot?
creb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo