AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-04-08, 00:37   Link #621
james0246

What a frustrating episode. Individually, the scenes and little character stories were all well done, even the weaker - like Theon's story or the fat guy whose name I still do not recall- were still interesting. Sadly, the transitioning between stories was quite abysmal, often times relying on one character mentioning another (for whatever reason) and then that character appearing in the next scene. Also, there were a few throw away scenes that really didn't matter to anything (Specifically the not so brief scene between Shae and Tyrion that ate up too much time and covered little to no ground worth covering). Still, the scenes done right - Sansa with Olenna "the Queen of Thorns" Redwyne (played amazing by freaking Diana Rigg); Margaery with Joffery later in the episode (the way the crossbow is used by Joffery to try and show dominance only to turn into a powerful tool for Margaery was quite wonderful); and of course, the wonderful scenes with Brienne and Jaime including a great little fight sequence - were quite a treat. We're also (finally) introduced to Jojen and Meera Reed (who originally appeared in the second book, but are only just now making their appearance in the third season), and Bran's story finally begins to take off (Bran's story, for better or worse, has always been the hardest/least interesting to read, and it seems the adaptation is also the hardest/least interesting to really get into). And Arya does things that Arya does and we all love her for it.

One minor scene that reallyannoyed me, though. Catelyn's brief monologue discussing Jon Snow was very awkward. Beyond the fact that I don't think she ever really thought about Jon after he left for the Wall, the entire motivation for the scene was off. Michelle Fairley gives a damn fine performance, but I'm not really understanding were this revelation is coming from. (I'm also unclear why Robb and Cat believe or at least hope that Brandon and Rickon are still alive; this is a strange departure from the novels that doesn't really serve any specific point.)

All in all, this was a very strong episode for acting, but the editing and directing were all over the place. Still, there is a solid step forward in terms of plot and character development all around. 81/100.

(Next week, it looks like Dany's on the move, and one of my favourite scenes form the third book will unfold...)

edit: I just realized while watching that all the Night's Watch have different swords (not different types, but still different styles, I guess you can say...sorry I know nothing about swords). This is a nice little detail that emphasizes the slight thrown-together nature of the Night's Watch.

edit 2: I do not remember seeing any breasts this episode. For some reason, I find that vaguely disturbing...

Last edited by james0246; 2013-04-08 at 07:35.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 07:02   Link #622
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Is it wrong that I found the Margery/Joeffery crossbow scene incredibly hot?
...I'm pretty sure it is incredibly wrong.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 08:46   Link #623
Xagzan

Margaery's got a clever head on her. Using Sansa's information to adapt her behavior around Joffrey and say things she figures someone like him wants to hear, to butter him up and make him point the crossbow with her, not at her.

At least, that's how I took it.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 10:29   Link #624
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Season 3 ep2:
Old 2013-04-08, 21:55   Link #625
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
...I'm pretty sure it is incredibly wrong.
The amount of sexual tension was so palpable as Margery asked Joeffery if he'd like to see her kill someone.

Easily the hottest scene in the show so far, all without any simulated orgasmic groans, fap fap faping sounds, or nudity.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 22:53   Link #626
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

I don't have much impression of the Reeds in the book but they are really intriguing here.
And am I the only one find Meera hot?
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 00:55   Link #627
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

In my opinion this episode would have worked better as a series premiere than the premiere itself. Don't get me wrong, I liked the first episode of season three. The added scenes worked quite well, in my opinion. However, this episode furthered the plot while adding depth to each of the characters. Hence the reason why I think it would have worked better as the premiere episode.

I'm quite liking what they're doing with Margery's character. I adored Natalie Dormer's Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, and I'm seeing shades of that character here which is fantastic. I've always thought the Tyrells didn't get enough attention in the novels so I hope HBO does somewhat to change that. The scene with Margery and Joffrey was simply brilliant. You could see Margery bending Joffrey to her will, wrapping him around her her finger without his ever even knowing. The emotions in that scene were positively palpable.

Brave, HBO, bravo.

The only thing I'm not liking at this point is the casting of Jojen and Meera. Of course, it's far too soon to make a judgement call regarding whether or not I think they fit their designated characters. My visceral reaction, however, is that they're not what I had in mind while reading the books. The boy fits more than the girl though. Who knows, maybe they'll grow on me in the coming episodes. I wasn't a fan of Theon at first but now I can't see anyone else in the role.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
One minor scene that reallyannoyed me, though. Catelyn's brief monologue discussing Jon Snow was very awkward. Beyond the fact that I don't think she ever really thought about Jon after he left for the Wall, the entire motivation for the scene was off.
I couldn't agree more. It was a very peculiar scene. I was expecting a different conversation when Robb's wife-who-isn't-Jeyne-Westerling approached Catelyn. Not only does it not make sense for Catelyn to suddenly want to shoulder the blame for everything that has happened (I guess she's not blaming the Lannisters anymore?), but I don't see how her feelings for Jon Snow (who isn't even involved in the war) has anything to do with it.

The only thing I can think of is that HBO intends to do something with Catelyn and/or Jon that isn't in the novels. Although what that something is I can't imagine at this point.
Old 2013-04-09, 02:35   Link #628
Hitenma
Behold! We are the Nine!

But how could you make this episode the premiere? You know, the second episode must come after the first

I remember practically nothing of the Reeds in the book so I don't know how much different they are from their book counterparts but I don't care, I love the their versions here.

I agree about the Catelyn's part. It's kind of out of place.
Hitenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 22:33   Link #629
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
How the heck did Theo get captured? Last I remember, his henchmen knocked him out and took him away. Am I missing something?

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 00:26   Link #630
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
How the heck did Theo get captured? Last I remember, his henchmen knocked him out and took him away. Am I missing something?
Why do you think his henchmen knocked him out, when surrounded by the enemy?
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-12, 01:57   Link #631
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Old 2013-04-12, 18:38   Link #632
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Just got into this series... about halfway through season one. Sooo addicting, lol. I haven't had this much fun with a live action show since I got into Breaking Bad a year ago (though they're obviously completely different types of shows, both are amazingly entertaining to me).
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 20:42   Link #633
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Why do you think his henchmen knocked him out, when surrounded by the enemy?
Call me stupid, but I thought they knocked him out so that they can skip the "we will die fighting" order by Theo and take him back to the Iron Islands, but I completely forgot they were surrounded =03. I guess it makes sense considering they had no respect for him =02.

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 20:55   Link #634
GDB

Okay, that last scene with Tyrion and the other two was freaking hilarious beyond comprehension.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 23:08   Link #635
Xagzan

*pulls up chair around Podrick, with notepad*
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 00:02   Link #636
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Man, I can't wait 'till next week.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-15, 00:17   Link #637
james0246

Wow what an episode. If last week's pacing was off and transitions were clunky, then this week made up for everything in spades. There was nary a loose scene or a misplaced storyline. Everything felt relevant, precise, intentional and just a little crazy...but in a good way. It's hard to choose what is the best going on here - The scene of the Small Council filled with epic chair moving (a quite literal jockeying for position); or maybe Dany's continually amazing storyline (I can't wait until next week); or what about Cat's beautiful little meltdown; or Arya's wonderful final scene with Hotpie (a piece of bread has never looked so good); or everything with Jamie - but even the worst (fat friend of Jon's whose last name sounds like Tully but isn't) still felt relevant and purposeful. Solid character and plot advances all around, with some great advancement's on Robb's story (this is the first time I've felt real tension in the Northern campaign).

This episode represents GoT's style of storytelling at it's best: fast paced but precise with great growth. Near perfect episode of Game of Thrones. 90/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2013-04-15 at 12:15.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 11:21   Link #638
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Funniest moment in this week episode:

* The awkward Council Meeting.
* Edmure Tully's failed attempt to light his father's boat which forces his Uncle Blackfish to take over.
* Tyrion and Broon wanting to know what Pod did to please three women very much that they refuse payment.
Old 2013-04-15, 17:12   Link #639
Elestia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Funniest moment in this week episode:
* Tyrion and Broon wanting to know what Pod did to please three women very much that they refuse payment.
Quote:
We're going to need details. Copious details.
That scene was my favorite.
Old 2013-04-16, 02:56   Link #640
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne

I like Khaleesi best now. Showing compassion toward slaves and not hesitate to trade a dragon with the slaves.(I'm not sure she's thinking the dragon will fly back to her in the end) This episode show that she has a kind heart and fit to be a queen. Though I thought so, Magery was not a bad candidate as well. She has a plan and will to carry out the plan thoroughly. Both are quite good in their own way to become a queen. So much better than Joff.

Current Season animes: Listeners, Tower of God
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game of thrones, hbo