AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online

Notices

Old 2013-04-08, 23:50   Link #3741
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Even so, that's the stuff fed to them by politicians. Forgive me American readers, some of the stuff is half a truth and the rest is not at all.

And even so, movies and entertainment can go quite a bit to feed you the wrong impression about a country, just like news and programmes. Though I'd like to hear your reasons too.
Tusjecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 00:59   Link #3742
Krono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
Even so, that's the stuff fed to them by politicians. Forgive me American readers, some of the stuff is half a truth and the rest is not at all.

And even so, movies and entertainment can go quite a bit to feed you the wrong impression about a country, just like news and programmes. Though I'd like to hear your reasons too.
Again, no, it's not simply a matter of stuff fed to them by politicians.

America spent about 50 years staring down, and maneuvering against the Soviet Union with the specter of nuclear war hanging over it all. 50 years identifying not just them, but "communism" as "the enemy". That sort of cultural influence does not go away overnight. My parents are old enough to remember the Cuban Missile crisis and the tensions that went with it. Part of that maneuvering was the Vietnam War, which had a comparatively massive impact on American culture. While relations improved during the 80s, the Cold War didn't truly end until the end of 1991. The time since then certainly goes a long way towards moving them from being considered "the enemy", but there's plenty of people around who spent decades growing accustom to thinking of them as hostile, and the tensions between the two nations were certainly not imaginary.

China started moving towards normal relations earlier than Russia/USSR did, and wasn't the main focus of hostility like Russia was which helps it some. Unfortunately, these days it enters people's minds in terms of "outsourcing jobs to China" which is something of a sore point a lot of places, more or less considering China to be "stealing" jobs from America. China also keeps coming in for an occasional mention for various human rights violations.

North Korea is something people remember primarily for the Korean War, during which it was "the enemy". They haven't really done anything to improve the situation since then. Instead they get back into public consciousness by either hostile posturing against South Korea, or working on acquiring nuclear weapons. The later being something that Americans aren't too keen on belligerent hostiles acquiring. That's not a matter of politicians feeding people a line. That's just a matter of new media reporting on what North Korea is doing, and the internal problems the country's leaders are ignoring to do so.

Arabic countries suffer from being connected to terrorism and associated wars. Various random bombings did not help, to say nothing of 9/11 which is a rather vivid memory for people. Every place has their crazies, but when some place has it's crazies focus on you, and successfully kill thousands of you, your mental associations tend to be with the crazies, not with the average folk.

Aside from that, several Arabic countries are huge oil producers, with the accompanying profits, which basically makes them modern day oil barons in people's minds. People didn't like oil barons in the late 1800s, and there's really not much reason for them to change that. Especially as plenty of people are old enough to remember the 1973 oil crisis, which gets traced back to several Arabic countries that did not like the US supporting Israel.

Thoughts on Japan are kind of split. The somewhat younger generations will have Japanese electronics and cars in mind, or perhaps media like anime or samurai flicks when they think of Japan. Past conflicts are in the past, nothing but a matter of history. The generations old enough to remember World War II tend to have that leap to mind. They remember hearing about Pearl Harbor, and while a chunk of their attitudes is likely a function of the propaganda of the time, the fact remains that the Pacific campaign was brutal, and that tends to stick in people's minds.
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 04:27   Link #3743
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFire View Post
No,no, hell no. I'm talking about the giant monster jellyfish Kirito and Leafa tame and ride.

Perv.
Oh you meant Tonkii. They completely cut it from the anime (for MR I'd think) so it slipped my mind LAWL.

Ah a history politics discussion. We didn't get a lot of that out of Volume 10 sadly.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 08:58   Link #3744
Trung-t-rung

Back to the topic, guys.
Don't throw nations and politics in here, please.
I wonder if the light novel will end with UW arc or it will extend.
I hope the Reki-sensei may pull another crossover with AW.
Imagine in 3,2,1...
Kirito: Black Swordman Lv9
Asuna: White Flash Lv9
Alice: Blue Knight Lv9
Sinon: Sapphire Sniper Lv9
Leafa: Emerald Katana Lv9

Sorry, couldn't help it!
Trung-t-rung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 09:08   Link #3745
iceaco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
Umm, no. Americans have a poor impression of DPRK, Russia, China, etc. because of communism, terrorism, outsourcing, and oil. I can elaborate if you wish.
But most of these started off from media propaganda, right?
If you never watch the media (news & fiction) you'll be more indifferent to them.
iceaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 10:40   Link #3746
Netto Azure
→ Wandering Bard

Apparently it's a Sword Art Online spinoff with the girls about the “real life” school and such. I knew some friends who were wanting some stuff like this. A nice transition to GGO and Mothers Rosario IMO.

PokeCommuninity | Bulbagarden | Tumblr | MAL
Netto Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 11:24   Link #3747
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netto Azure View Post
---snip---

Apparently it's a Sword Art Online spinoff with the girls about the “real life” school and such. I knew some friends who were wanting some stuff like this. A nice transition to GGO and Mothers Rosario IMO.
Thanks for sharing, will the story(or stories) be published in a monthly magazine or a LN?
Looks like all their <More Deban> efforts paid off.
Old 2013-04-09, 11:47   Link #3748
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

More Deban! Promised For "Sword Art Online Girls Op"
Old 2013-04-09, 14:27   Link #3749
iceaco

Quote:
[IMG]Apparently it's a Sword Art Online spinoff with the girls about the “real life” school and such. I knew some friends who were wanting some stuff like this. A nice transition to GGO and Mothers Rosario IMO.
Woah I would like to read this too. I enjoyed the side stories.
The new .hack movies are also a bit more interesting because they involve real life more, but SAO definitely have more IRL stories than .hack.
iceaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 15:06   Link #3750
Divini
Senpai!

More Deban!

Their wishes were finally heard :*D
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 17:21   Link #3751
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
I'm pretty sure Asuna has considering this bit from volume 7:

It's pretty obvious from that, that Asuna's eaten dinner at Kirito's house at least once while his mother was home. And I kind of doubt that's the only interaction with his parents she's had.
I'm not saying Asuna haven't met Kirito's parents, just that she didn't go as far as Alice did and outright called them 'mother/father' like her relationship with Kirito are set in stone. Suguha was shocked when Alice did so
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 17:23   Link #3752
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Was this when Alice was in her robot body?
Old 2013-04-09, 17:27   Link #3753
Flere821
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusjecht View Post
Was this when Alice was in her robot body?
Yes. (At this rate I might have to just summarize the WEB Final just so I won't have to answer these questions...)
Flere821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 19:36   Link #3754
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

I think we'd all like that
Old 2013-04-09, 20:33   Link #3755
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Well, this will be fun. Hopefully we will get insight into the daily lives of the SAO survivors in reality. Especially, seeing how the mass populace treats them now.
Old 2013-04-09, 20:57   Link #3756
sky black swordman

Quote:

This is something to look forward to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
I'm not saying Asuna haven't met Kirito's parents, just that she didn't go as far as Alice did and outright called them 'mother/father' like her relationship with Kirito are set in stone. Suguha was shocked when Alice did so
Impressive, well played Alice.
And Asuna fight back call them mother and father too and while you're at it call Suguha, SISTER!
Old 2013-04-11, 04:27   Link #3757
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Is anyone posting?? ):

Someone took some snaps of the new volume, hnnnngggh. Possible spoilers, but what can you see anyway...
All links direct to the facebook page from which this was taken.
Saber Alice vs Kirito
Flame Bow <Seraphim> and Kirito & Eugeo
Kirito's latest loli addition
Casual filler illust. of Kirito & Eugeo
Random Knight x Eugeo
I bet these are the apprentice Integrators Login to read the spoiler.
The caption says Sacred Arts, I call Release Recollection...
The 'oh' moment when your power level is just too low
Old 2013-04-11, 05:26   Link #3758
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

I thought Alice's armor is not that... yellow?
Old 2013-04-11, 06:53   Link #3759
Awrya
U mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arczyx View Post
I thought Alice's armor is not that... yellow?
Maybe her armour in Vol.11 was her formal armour, while this is her battle armour? Flere's Web 8 summaries described her armour as 'golden' after all.
Old 2013-04-11, 06:55   Link #3760
Tusjecht
Anomaly / 矛盾存在

Maybe Alice thought handling prisoners didn't need high-level gear, especially when her dragon was sufficiently burdened with her sword and their swords.

Tags
action, harem, kirito, non-harem, possible harem, romance, shounen, tragedy, virtual reality