AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-11, 10:47   Link #221
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKL View Post
Is this a straight comedy or rom-com?

I'm hoping it's the former.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
The genres are Comedy and Fantasy.
This wouldn't be the first series with romance without romance being in the official genre description. And from episode 2 and, without being spoiler specific, certain suggestive scenes in the novel, I would say this is indeed one of those shows.
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:07   Link #222
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Spoiler for ep 2:


Oh, and Oosaka is awesome. Where was this guy before Tsuritama???
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:19   Link #223
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
This wouldn't be the first series with romance without romance being in the official genre description. And from episode 2 and, without being spoiler specific, certain suggestive scenes in the novel, I would say this is indeed one of those shows.
I would rather put them as Romantic-scenes-included series, not series that actually focus on that strong and deep romance/love.
They have these boy-girl scenes, but there is a limit to how intensive they must be to be put under "Romance".
It seems that they are not big enough in this one, but of course, it would be wrong to say that there aren't any at all.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 11:51   Link #224
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
One of the things I like about the show is that Emi, the main heroine, doesn't have humongous boobs. On the other hand, I just noticed in ep 2 that Chiichan has such an outstanding rack. Overall, thumbs-up for episode 2, Hataraku-Maou will probably be my most awaited show each week.

Spoilers
Spoiler for episode 2
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:00   Link #225
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I would rather put them as Romantic-scenes-included series, not series that actually focus on that strong and deep romance/love.
They have these boy-girl scenes, but there is a limit to how intensive they must be to be put under "Romance".
It seems that they are not big enough in this one, but of course, it would be wrong to say that there aren't any at all.
Well if you look at a wide range of series-es, you'll see that even in a series where the romance is really strong and serious, they still tend not to put romance in genre heading. In this season we have at least two prime examples of this (and several others this season which look to be good possibles):

Space Battleship Yamato: Anybody who has seen the original knows that KodaixYuki is a big part of every iteration/sequel/offshoot that features the two of them in it, but romance doesn't make the genre heading.

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii wake ga Nai: Undeniably strong in the romance (there's a reason they made two PSP Visual Novels for romance with each of the girls), and Kyousuke even has a tsundere harem. Neither romance nor harem make the genre description.

Some others series-es that have strong romance but don't have romance in the genre description (that I can remember off the top of my head): Mahoromatic, the original Macross, and Sword Art Online. (way back before the SAO anime premiered romance wasn't in the genre description, it was put in later though)

The point being that it's kind of an on-and-off thing; some series with romance in them get romance put in the genre description, some don't. The only series with romance that always have romance put in the genre description are flat-out romance and shoujo animes like Amagami, Date A Live, and Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru.

I learned long ago not to believe an anime series won't have strong romance in it just because it's not in the genre description, Sword Art Online being one of my best and most recent examples. I remember seeing it in the summer '12 season preview and knowing that it would have romance in it despite the absence of it in the genre description. (though admittedly, the promotion art of Kirito and Asuna back-to-back was pretty indicative )
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:01   Link #226
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 33
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Chii-chan's dere side was really cute. Too bad it seems like she's going to lose since she's obviously not the main heroine. T_T
Actually Chii-chan gets equal billing to Emi; she's much more important than meets the eye, as you'll see. And unlike Emi or Maou, she's a native of this world to boot.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:07   Link #227
larethian
幸せ過ぎ~♥
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually Chii-chan gets equal billing to Emi; she's much more important than meets the eye, as you'll see. And unlike Emi or Maou, she's a native of this world to boot.
Good to hear, but I rather not hear anymore, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Well if you look at a wide range of series-es, you'll see that even in a series where the romance is really strong and serious, they still tend not to put romance in genre heading. In this season we have at least two prime examples of this (and several others this season which look to be good possibles):

Space Battleship Yamato: Anybody who has seen the original knows that KodaixYuki is a big part of every iteration/sequel/offshoot that features the two of them in it, but romance doesn't make the genre heading.

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii wake ga Nai: Undeniably strong in the romance (there's a reason they made two PSP Visual Novels for romance with each of the girls), and Kyousuke even has a tsundere harem. Neither romance nor harem make the genre description.

Some others series-es that have strong romance but don't have romance in the genre description (that I can remember off the top of my head): Mahoromatic, the original Macross, and Sword Art Online. (way back before the SAO anime premiered romance wasn't in the genre description, it was put in later though)

The point being that it's kind of an on-and-off thing; some series with romance in them get romance put in the genre description, some don't. The only series with romance that always have romance put in the genre description are flat-out romance and shoujo animes like Amagami, Date A Live, and Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru.

I learned long ago not to believe an anime series won't have strong romance in it just because it's not in the genre description, Sword Art Online being one of my best and most recent examples. I remember seeing it in the summer '12 season preview and knowing that it would have romance in it despite the absence of it in the genre description. (though admittedly, the promotion art of Kirito and Asuna back-to-back was pretty indicative )
Good point. But I think Haiprbim probably thought more along the lines of "focus" rather than "strong".
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:23   Link #228
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Well if you look at a wide range of series-es, you'll see that even in a series where the romance is really strong and serious, they still tend not to put romance in genre heading. In this season we have at least two prime examples of this (and several others this season which look to be good possibles):
I think that larethian gave a perfect response in my place:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Good point. But I think Haiprbim probably thought more along the lines of "focus" rather than "strong".
It indeed is a good point, but I was more focusing on the series' focus and main-point, rather than the impact romance gives in just-those.

Quote:
Space Battleship Yamato: Anybody who has seen the original knows that KodaixYuki is a big part of every iteration/sequel/offshoot that features the two of them in it, but romance doesn't make the genre heading.
Yeah, this one wasn't stated as "Romantic".

Quote:
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii wake ga Nai: Undeniably strong in the romance (there's a reason they made two PSP Visual Novels for romance with each of the girls), and Kyousuke even has a tsundere harem. Neither romance nor harem make the genre description.
OreImo has genres "Comedy" and "Romance".

Quote:
Some others series-es that have strong romance but don't have romance in the genre description (that I can remember off the top of my head): Mahoromatic, the original Macross, and Sword Art Online. (way back before the SAO anime premiered romance wasn't in the genre description, it was put in later though)
Mahoromatic - True, nice spot.
SAO - "Action", "Romance", "Science fantasy". As you have said, it was later in-put.

Quote:
The point being that it's kind of an on-and-off thing; some series with romance in them get romance put in the genre description, some don't. The only series with romance that always have romance put in the genre description are flat-out romance and shoujo animes like Amagami, Date A Live, and Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru.
Yeah, that is exactly because of the focus I was talking about.
These series' main story-point focuses on just that - romance.

Quote:
I learned long ago not to believe an anime series won't have strong romance in it just because it's not in the genre description, Sword Art Online being one of my best and most recent examples. I remember seeing it in the summer '12 season preview and knowing that it would have romance in it despite the absence of it in the genre description. (though admittedly, the promotion art of Kirito and Asuna back-to-back was pretty indicative )
Yeah, the 'Official' genres are merely a small focus (Comedy or Tragedy, for example), to get those the most strict watchers to get the idea of what to expect in a wide way, from which they pick if they even want to start watching.
However, what is needed is to start watching and watch for some time and then decide, as you have pointed out.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:40   Link #229
DorkingtonPugsly
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My cozy room
Episode two was really funny. Mostly thanks to ohsaka but this show's moving in a generally good direction. I was anticipating this a lot after seeing the pv's but after watching ep 2 I can easily say it's one of my favorites so far this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Freebies.
I'll take this one, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Actually Chii-chan gets equal billing to Emi; she's much more important than meets the eye, as you'll see. And unlike Emi or Maou, she's a native of this world to boot.
Ohh that's good to hear, I'm a fan she's too cute. And it certainly looked that way from the ep3 preview.
__________________
DorkingtonPugsly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:50   Link #230
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiprbim View Post
I think that larethian gave a perfect response in my place:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Good point. But I think Haiprbim probably thought more along the lines of "focus" rather than "strong".
It indeed is a good point, but I was more focusing on the series' focus and main-point, rather than the impact romance gives in just-those.
Yeah I know that's what you meant, but what I mean is that there are also a lot of anime that have romance central to it, or ones that don't have it central, that still put romance in the genre. Best example being, the original Macross doesn't have romance in the genre but it's [just as important in that series as it is in Macross Frontier, which does have romance in the genre description. So plot focus or just strong, it's on-and-off in a lot of series-es for romance to be put in the genre description.

Quote:
OreImo has genres "Comedy" and "Romance".
Not in several places; the season previews for season 2 say comedy and some say slice of life, but several don't say romance, like Random Curiosity.

Quote:
SAO - "Action", "Romance", "Science fantasy". As you have said, it was later in-put.
Yeah as we both pointed out it wasn't said to be romance at first.

Quote:
Yeah, that is exactly because of the focus I was talking about.
These series' main story-point focuses on just that - romance.
I know, but my point is the whole inconsistency in which shows gte romance put in their genre descriptions. Campione has romance in its genre, but it's no more important than the romance is in a series like original Macross or Space Battleship Yamato, which don't have romance in their genre descriptions. (despite how Godou has to kiss a girl nearly every battle, it's not as plot central, as you put it)

My ultimate point is that, romance not being included in the genre description is not a good gauge for if a series actually has it, as in the examples I pointed out. There's no doubt in my mind that there's going to be romance in Hataraku Maou-Sama, and the anime material alone is already starting to indicate this: you have the tsundere main heroine and the second girl who has a crush on the hero of the story. (ironic, yeah ) That and the mateiral in the novels I've skimmed, but yeah, spoilers. (thoguh I've only gotten a hold of volumes 1-3; there are 7 volumes out)
__________________
Shinji103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 12:58   Link #231
Haiprbim
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Visual Dream Panire
Yeah, I see what you mean and those are quite nice examples.
At some times, it appears that Romance plays a more important, maybe even the main role in the series and it is not put in the Official genres list while at some other series, where Romance is not so important it is put.

I do not think that happens a lot (or at least I hope not, but you already gave those examples...), but in any case, I'm keeping to this part in my statement:

Quote:
... what is needed is to start watching and watch for some time and then decide...
Meaning that you must decide for your own what kind of Genres do you think the series truly have.
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 15:40   Link #232
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 24
Spoiler for spoiler 2:
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:33   Link #233
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhwa View Post
Spoiler for spoiler 2:
Spoiler for ep 2:


Also, I wonder, will this show get a proper OP?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 16:45   Link #234
Shinhwa
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Age: 24
Spoiler for Ep2:
Shinhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:32   Link #235
Mentar
Sore wa himitsu desu!
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hamburg
Age: 45
Naaah. Stacked moeblob is out of style. Gimme the flatchest tsundere

Emilia FTW!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:35   Link #236
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Naaah. Stacked moeblob is out of style. Gimme the flatchest tsundere

Emilia FTW!
NOPE!

Stacked Loli > Generic Flatchest Tsundere
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:40   Link #237
Entravity
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Episode 2 is pretty awesome; it has a blend of humor and seriousness. Looking forward to seeing the next episode.
__________________
Episodic Overviews of the latest anime.
Entravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 17:59   Link #238
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 28
Spoiler for episode 2:
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 18:02   Link #239
DXMichael
Stare Into My Eyes...
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: The Anime World
Age: 19
Bwahaha, the heroes face when being told about the love quarrel thing. Priceless! XD

It really is interesting to how accustomed those two have become to the human world. Newspaper salesman and all that, you wouldn't think they were supreme demons from another world with magical powers

Aww, her crying out when they wouldn't let her in was heartbreaking XD I wanted to snuggle her and make her all better! Aww, what a cute character

Ahh, 2 episodes and already this is my favourite anime this season so far
__________________
Gintaro from Gingitsune
DXMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-11, 18:25   Link #240
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Episode 2 was just as good as episode 1.

Loved the first half, and the binkering between the Hero and Maou. Like a married couple lol.

Liked the policeman, and how they're always nonchalant when dealing with them. Makes me think of Japan as such a safe place.

Emi's frantic lines after the general locked the door was also gold, especially when she started crying. If an outsider heard it, it be such a typical lovers quarrel.

2nd half got a bit serious, with an unknown attacker showing up, as well making it seem like Chi-chan has a role in all this as well.

What kind of company is the show parodying that Emi works at? Dococmo? Is that a phone company?

Also, I wonder how old everyone is suppose to be. They look young and like kids because its an anime, but given the situation and jobs, it seems they fit more like they're suppose to be 25-35.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comedy, fantasy, romance, slice of life, work

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:28.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.