AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Gundam

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-12, 21:45   Link #421
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
my favourite one huh..

It has to be Destiny by a large margin, i dont really understand all the hate plp have for it,i just cant see it
If you saw and really looked into every Gundam series, it's pretty clear;

1.) Shinn was supposed to be the new main character, but that was quickly dropped not even halfway through the series. Instead, he was made into little more than Dullindal's lapdog who barely did anything without being manipulated by him and Rey before getting royally owned by Athrun when using the TITLE Gundam while essentially being replaced by Kira due to fan popularity. They just couldn't find a place for him and had him flip-flopping all over.

2.) The story ends up becoming a total rehash of SEED, only with updated MS.

3.) The total plot armor for Kira and co.

4.) They go beyond "homage" to near-blatant ripoffs of the Universal Century MS with things like the ZAKU Warrior, GOUF Ignited, DOM Trooper, Akatsuki, Destroy Gundam, etc. It seriously felt like laziness in terms of a lot of MS designs if they had to "steal" Universal Century designs and/or simply use slightly modified forms of previous MS (Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, and Legend being the most obvious ones) to fill the ranks.

5.) Mwu's survival from SEED (at the very least with nothing but a tiny scar on the nose and amnesia, despite being shown bandaged up like a total mummy in flashbacks) made no sense at all. If he had ended up more like Waltfeld had (lost an eye and arm along with bearing other scars), that'd be a bit more believable at least.

6.) The character development totally sucked. In the end, the characters were really no different than before, and a lot of the "conflict" was, again, a repeat of SEED.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:05   Link #422
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
If you saw and really looked into every Gundam series, it's pretty clear;

1.) Shinn was supposed to be the new main character, but that was quickly dropped not even halfway through the series. Instead, he was made into little more than Dullindal's lapdog who barely did anything without being manipulated by him and Rey before getting royally owned by Athrun when using the TITLE Gundam while essentially being replaced by Kira due to fan popularity. They just couldn't find a place for him and had him flip-flopping all over.

2.) The story ends up becoming a total rehash of SEED, only with updated MS.

3.) The total plot armor for Kira and co.

4.) They go beyond "homage" to near-blatant ripoffs of the Universal Century MS with things like the ZAKU Warrior, GOUF Ignited, DOM Trooper, Akatsuki, Destroy Gundam, etc. It seriously felt like laziness in terms of a lot of MS designs if they had to "steal" Universal Century designs and/or simply use slightly modified forms of previous MS (Strike Freedom, Infinite Justice, and Legend being the most obvious ones) to fill the ranks.

5.) Mwu's survival from SEED (at the very least with nothing but a tiny scar on the nose and amnesia, despite being shown bandaged up like a total mummy in flashbacks) made no sense at all. If he had ended up more like Waltfeld had (lost an eye and arm along with bearing other scars), that'd be a bit more believable at least.

6.) The character development totally sucked. In the end, the characters were really no different than before, and a lot of the "conflict" was, again, a repeat of SEED.
1)Shin just picked a side and stuck with it, its not like he was gonna betray Zaft and become a terroist like kira and athrun, beside that destiny plan would of worked, but no plp apparently want the freedom to make wars and kill eachother...

2) yeah the OP kira was damn annoying up to vol7 ^^ then he got an upgraded suit out of nowhere and went straight back to OP

3)Yeah agree there, not to mention that demi God Lycaus, that bitch can rule the world with all those skills

4)nuff said


Still Destiny is my fav, 00 would of got close if he went with Feldt rather than marina

And i still hold the opionion on my rock/paper/scissors assessment of the leads.

Shin beats Kira
Kira beats Athrun
Athrun beats Shin

watch it again and tell me im lying, and dont be all technical in the replies
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:37   Link #423
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

With Shinn, I mostly just mean that they couldn't seem to decide where to make him stand. One episode, he'll be a "good guy" and save a bunch of prisoners (even going against orders to do so), get rid of corrupt EA forces in an area, try to help someone like Stellar, and so on, but then the next episode, they make him look like a "bad guy" by fighting Kira and co., attacking Orb, or something while just listening to whatever Dullindal and Rey say without question, and just have him keep going back and forth (and ending with making him look like an insane psychopath who gets owned by Athrun).

While I've never been big on the latter part of 00, I do agree that it feels like the few minutes between Setsuna and Feldt had a way more development than he ever did with Marina throughout the whole series, at least in a romantic aspect. Marina always gave off a more motherly feeling than a potential love interest, IMO.

And actually, the rock/paper/scissors thing is out of order. Kira beats Athrun first (Freedom vs. Savior), then Shinn beats Kira (Impulse vs. Freedom, though there's still TONS of debate on that), and then Athrun beats Shinn (Infinite Justice vs. Destiny), lol.

But I never really looked into it that deeply. At least with Kira vs. Shinn, I saw it more as "forced development" and an excuse to give Kira the Strike Freedom (even though it was never necessary as the Freedom itself was still just as, if not more advanced than most other MS of SEED Destiny as it was).
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 23:53   Link #424
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
With Shinn, I mostly just mean that they couldn't seem to decide where to make him stand. One episode, he'll be a "good guy" and save a bunch of prisoners (even going against orders to do so), get rid of corrupt EA forces in an area, try to help someone like Stellar, and so on, but then the next episode, they make him look like a "bad guy" by fighting Kira and co., attacking Orb, or something while just listening to whatever Dullindal and Rey say without question, and just have him keep going back and forth (and ending with making him look like an insane psychopath who gets owned by Athrun).



And actually, the rock/paper/scissors thing is out of order. Kira beats Athrun first (Freedom vs. Savior), then Shinn beats Kira (Impulse vs. Freedom, though there's still TONS of debate on that), and then Athrun beats Shinn (Infinite Justice vs. Destiny), lol.
i didnt mean that rock paper thing to be in order just in general.
And yeah they pressured shin throughout the whole season and he "snapped" at last.
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 00:11   Link #425
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

And when one considers that he was supposed to be the main character, but changed it and made him like that is another thing at least some people just...don't really like or get. SEED Destiny just feels like the developers quickly lost their way and then practically stopped trying.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 00:17   Link #426
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
my favourite one huh..

It has to be Destiny by a large margin, i dont really understand all the hate plp have for it,i just cant see it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
1)Shin just picked a side and stuck with it, its not like he was gonna betray Zaft and become a terroist like kira and athrun, beside that destiny plan would of worked, but no plp apparently want the freedom to make wars and kill eachother...

2) yeah the OP kira was damn annoying up to vol7 ^^ then he got an upgraded suit out of nowhere and went straight back to OP

3)Yeah agree there, not to mention that demi God Lycaus, that bitch can rule the world with all those skills

4)nuff said
Om, you claimed that you can’t see Destiny’s shortcomings, but in your reply to Gerbera, you acknowledged some of his points about Destiny’s “weaknesses”. Doesn’t that make your initial comment moot?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 01:56   Link #427
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Om, you claimed that you can’t see Destiny’s shortcomings, but in your reply to Gerbera, you acknowledged some of his points about Destiny’s “weaknesses”. Doesn’t that make your initial comment moot?
No, because despite the shortcomings i agree with i still enjoyed Destiny the best, i must of watched it 10x already and certain episodes alot more, its my favourite Gundam series of the lot.

Wing had an arogant MC that everyone in it seem to like and respect, i just cant see why

Seed was ok until i saw Destiny then i never watched it again

Age.....well it had some good points like Flynns hatred, but the rest were hard to watch

All the old ones i never watched more than a couple of eps, i watched 3 eps of Unicorn before losing interest entirely.
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:20   Link #428
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
No, because despite the shortcomings i agree with i still enjoyed Destiny the best, i must of watched it 10x already and certain episodes alot more, its my favourite Gundam series of the lot.
Not about “Destiny being your favorite series” but about “you can’t see its shortcomings” part. Considering how you agree to some of Gerbera’s points, you can certainly “see them” now, right?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 02:32   Link #429
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

The thing about Unicorn is that...

A.) It's intended more for people who have actually seen and know about the past Universal Century-era Gundam series' (at least the basic ones; Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, and ZZ Gundam) and the Char's Counterattack OVA movie to be able to understand the gist of what's going on, much less to be able to know about various MS, what they're based on, and so on.

B.) Like 0080 and The 08th MS Team OVAs (and unlike around half the AU series'), the focus is just as much, if not more about the various characters and the many gray areas within conflict and war, and about points of view, than it is about (flashy) Mobile Suit battles, so to those who began with the AUs (like many in the US started with Gundam Wing from Cartoon Network, so tend to correlate "Gundam" to its standards) and/or just like them better, then such things will definitely come off as boring to them because it will feel a lot slower.

Around half of the AU series' don't put nearly as much emphasis on their plot and character development as they do on flashy/one-sided/etc Mobile Suit battles, especially when "Gundam"-style MS are involved.


Wing: Plot and characters were pretty bland to me and, like SEED/SEED Destiny, huge plot armor. I actually liked Relena earlier on BEFORE the whole pacifist attitude came on (then she became really boring), and out of all the Gundam pilots, the only one I slightly cared about was Quatre, but even then, we only got pretty minimal info on his family and such. In the end, I couldn't find myself really caring if any of the primary main characters died.

I found myself liking the secondary main characters like Noin and Sally Po more than the primary main characters.


SEED: It was okay in the first half, but after Kira got the Freedom...yeah...

00: As said, I liked Season 1. Despite MS battles being quite one-sided, Setsuna being similar to Heero in coming off like a drone, and them all coming off extremely "pretty" (the male and females), and such It felt more like SEED/SEED Destiny, but with actual consequences to their interventions (something The 08th MS Team had), and they soon started having more and more difficulties with opponents and so on. But Season 2 and the movie didn't feel nearly as good to me.

AGE: I actually liked the first 2/3 of it; Flit and Asemu's Arcs. But when it started getting into Kio's Arc and he became pretty much a Kira clone coupled with pretty big plotholes, wasted characters who ultimately served no other purpose than make Kio look more right, and so on, it just went down the tubes very quickly.

G: I won't lie. I actually like and enjoyed G Gundam. Sure, it was really over the top, cheesy, etc at various parts, but I still enjoyed the different plot and its twists, the character development, the Mobile Fighter designs (as whacky as some were), and so on. The only issue I really had was later on, when Domon came off pretty Gary Stu against the other Shuffle Alliance members during the semi-finals of the Gundam Fight; somehow, in 1 night after being shown them, magically coming up (and mastering) moves that perfectly countered the brand new moves the other members developed through their own hard training.

X: I only wished it wasn't cut down to 39 episodes. Otherwise, I actually liked it. It felt like a nice alternative spin on Mobile Suit Gundam in ways.

Turn A: Again, I liked this series with its plot and character development. A few homages to older series' and such. Despite the Turn A being so freaking OP compared to ALL other Gundams (and I don't mind the mustache that much either), they still managed to make the Mobile Suit battles pretty balanced, even if it's solely due to the fact that everyone knew little to nothing about it or its abilities.
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 05:09   Link #430
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Not about “Destiny being your favorite series” but about “you can’t see its shortcomings” part. Considering how you agree to some of Gerbera’s points, you can certainly “see them” now, right?
i cant see its shortcommings????? i stated that i could already, i just didnt care cause despite its shortcommings i still liked it, plz dont make me repeat it again
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 05:35   Link #431
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
i cant see its shortcommings????? i stated that i could already, i just didnt care cause despite its shortcommings i still liked it, plz dont make me repeat it again
Chill out, dude. I’m just asking for confirmation (by referring to your own words in your initial post) so that I can safely say that you finally see Destiny’s shortcomings plain and clear. That’s all. I wasn’t even criticizing your liking Destiny. So, you don't have to repeatedly saying how much you like Destiny to me. That's not what I was asking.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:38   Link #432
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 29
oh ok ^^

in my opinion no series is perfect and they all have shortcommings anyway in some form or another.
__________________
Om Nerabdator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-14, 22:54   Link #433
j008
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida
My favorite of all is Gundam Seed. I love the storyline. Gundam 00 & wing was good too.
j008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 12:29   Link #434
Kireen
Uchuu Kaizoku
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: From Italy
I liked 08th MS team, I loved the grunt mecha action and the characters, X is a close second, if they didn't decided to rush the end mybe it would have been my fist favorite one.

Seed also holds a special place in my heart being the first gundam series I watched, and i also liked 00 and AGE(first two arcs mostly) quite a lot.
Kireen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 21:14   Link #435
isamu99
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Greetings gentlemen...I am about to embark on the ultimate Gundam journey for the very first time. I would like your suggestions on which shows and in what order I should watch the following series.

This is the list of shows someone wrote and suggested in another forum, and unless you have an alternative viewing order recommendation, I think I might go with this viewing order. Feel free to guide me with your Gundam wisdom

1) Original Gundam 0079 (or compilation movies)
2) Gundam 08th MS Team (OVA)
3) Gundam War in the Pocket (OVA)
4) Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory (OVA, leads into Zeta)
5) Zeta Gundam
6) ZZ Gundam
7) Gundam, Char's Counterattack
8) Gundam Unicorn (6 episodes out, 1 more left for April 2014)


Would you change anything here?
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-01, 21:22   Link #436
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Ping!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Albany
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera
reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by isamu99 View Post
Greetings gentlemen...I am about to embark on the ultimate Gundam journey for the very first time. I would like your suggestions on which shows and in what order I should watch the following series.

This is the list of shows someone wrote and suggested in another forum, and unless you have an alternative viewing order recommendation, I think I might go with this viewing order. Feel free to guide me with your Gundam wisdom

1) Original Gundam 0079 (or compilation movies)
2) Gundam 08th MS Team (OVA)
3) Gundam War in the Pocket (OVA)
4) Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory (OVA, leads into Zeta)
5) Zeta Gundam
6) ZZ Gundam
7) Gundam, Char's Counterattack
8) Gundam Unicorn (6 episodes out, 1 more left for April 2014)


Would you change anything here?
That's the chronological, in-universe order of the series' (0079, 0080, 0083, 0087, 0088, 0093, and 0096).

What's usually suggested is to watch the series' in their production order. Otherwise, the differences between the original, older animation and the more modern animation might come off a bit weird. Not to mention the "breaks" between at least the earlier UC series' and the side-stories. So from that list...

1.) Mobile Suit Gundam
2.) Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
3.) Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
4.) Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
5.) Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
6.) Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
7.) Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
8.) Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
__________________
"I'll show you that a superior mobile suit has its limits when it goes up against a superior pilot!" - Char Aznable, The Red Comet
"Come on! I don't feel like losing!" - Johnny Ridden, The Crimson Lightning
"Hatred is the root of all war! That's common sense, boy!" - Anavel Gato, The Nightmare of Solomon
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-02, 13:01   Link #437
isamu99
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Thanks buddy. Your advice sounds good. I'm watching it this way
isamu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-08, 07:12   Link #438
hamazura
Huskar is for NOOBS
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Inside Mugino's Pantsu *_*
my fav are

Turn A : very different with all other gundam series, most of the story is about the developtment of war, slow and realistic, like slice of life . and well balanced MS fight except turn-A moonlight butterfly is very cool and OP as fuck

ZZ : serious yet funny, and ANIME JA NAI!

08th MS team & War in the pocket : nice short and simple OVA. somehow i like them moar than other UC series (except ZZ).
the original gundam is very standard and plain...

zeta was good but not so awesome...

stardust memory was just.... meh i hate dat bitch main heroine...

char counterattack... fanservice for char fanboys? char went back to zeon was pretty random

unicorn... fine, i admit graphic is superb.... so what? the story not interesting at all... about one box that could turn the tides of war? who cares about that? even age's EXA-DB story is far more interesting than this unicorn

f91+crossbone series somehow i couldn't enjoy the series, but f91 was fine.

about non-UC like wing and seed(destiny). wing was very exciting, all the fanservice gundams are cool, but my fav still all tallgeese I-III and i love milliardo-noin

and i enjoy seed and destiny because of action and MS fanservice, and i was still a child in elementary school when i was watching it so i didnt fcuking care about story at all :P

AGE : flit-good Asemu-superb Kio-shit. that sums all of my comment...

00 : superb graphic, MS and battle, i love susanowo but the story.... ah who cares about that

ah and G Gundam.... not my taste

and i've yet to watch victory gundam, they said that series is the darkest gundam series, i'd love to watch it but unfortunately there is no time, and when there is time, there is no mood
and im VERY not-interested in watching X, i watch 3 episode and.... meh boring.... so it is good?


tl;dr Turn A is AWESOME!


*additional series
Gundam Build Fighter : DAT MOM! DAT MILF! IF I AM SEI, I WILL LITERALLY BECOME A MOTHERF*CKER!
*cough*
__________________
hamazura is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-09, 05:07   Link #439
DGDCOne
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 24
My favorite of all time is Gundam Wing.
__________________
DGDCOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-11, 09:01   Link #440
MeisterBabylon
~ Ping For Effect ~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Golden Throne
Age: 28
All-time ANIMATED favorite: X

Most favorite Gundam in any media: Astray

Honorable mention: Crossbones, recently making a comeback in my books.
__________________

On money: Every man has a price. For everything else, there's MakoCard.
MeisterBabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.