AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-15, 21:51   Link #27481
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
It is more than what is being said, but the result that will come after. I don't want angers and other emotions to cloud our judgement. I fear that this will be just another incident where people's emotion will allow the government to exchange freedom for security.
More to the point, they'll use that fear to take it from you. As much as I hate people who blame every issue on the government, it is entirely true that there are politicians out there who will feed on fear to suit their own needs.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 21:56   Link #27482
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
That's a rather natural reaction, the want of some kind of revenge, but it don't make it the best thig to do, moraly or practicaly. A dead body do not talk much and for now knowig if there's something else comming would be much more usefull to us all than to know than the ones than put the bombs there is dead.

There's a time for everything and revenge or punition shouldn't be comming first ( it should rather be at the end ), taking care of the victims and learning who did this should be the priority.

Read this: http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost...ostcount=27476

What I expect to happen, if they do find the person directly responsible for this (I hope they do), is that they'll have him in custody, grill him for answers, and then he'll rot in prison for some time. If it is a domestic terrorist, surely he'll get the death penalty. If it is someone part of an international terrorist group, like a Muslim extremist group, well, they are completely screwed for sure.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 21:57   Link #27483
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
So... instead of two people dead... I see news of three now... including an 8-year old...

Anyways, I've been 1 year 4 months since my last road race. That's due to injury and fear of re-injury. Due to that, I've been somewhat... mixed, as that absence from running made me feel somewhat disconnected from the running community. However, I am easily brought back in reflecting my own running experience; and the true reason why people do all this marathoning.

This was supposed to be a day of celebration, chock full of triumphant moments - especially at this Boston race, where many have to qualify even to enter. The rest go through the charity program, which often involves a lot of money. Looking back at my most recent finish - I'd be extremely upset if someone robbed me of that moment.

Well, many were robbed here. And three died - who were spectators. During the times when I spectated the finishing - even there I was feeling it. So, this whole marathon feel rubs on people, who didn't run it.

Yea... this whole situation... it pisses me off.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:11   Link #27484
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yea... this whole situation... it pisses me off.
Yeah, in the last few years, I've started to feel more negatively about evil crimes and acts of injustice in the world. Six or seven years ago, I wouldn't have said the things I said in the previous page (not like what I said was all that bad). I probably wouldn't have written anything venomous, even if just a bit so. When the Virginia Tech shooting happened, I thought it was terrible, but I didn't say anything hateful about the perp.

But I'm becoming kind of bitter about low-life people doing low-life things. Mounting on top of that is frustration from other injustices, whether it be from governments, corporations, and so forth.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:25   Link #27485
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: I'm right behind you
Age: 32
All of a sudden the Aqua Teens' old bomb threat on Boston doesn't seem too funny.
andyjay729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:40   Link #27486
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
This is screwed up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boyfriend.html

Pregnant woman kills her three young children and then herself. :-\
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 22:57   Link #27487
KiraYamatoFan
No end to my talents
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Age: 31
Oh, dear...

Was there really no one else for her to get support from before even thinking of doing something like that? That surely reminds all of us on the importance of having an extended network of friends and family members for support and acting as a safety net before doing anything reckless.
__________________
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 23:00   Link #27488
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Maybe she was really deranged. Maybe she thought her and her angels could all be together in Heaven.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif
Urzu 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 23:16   Link #27489
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
This is screwed up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boyfriend.html

Pregnant woman kills her three young children and then herself. :-\
Hmm... that looks to be one bad decision after another... and ultimately... yea...
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 01:47   Link #27490
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
My guess is that this isn't an Islamic terrorist.

Bombings of this type is not really their style.

I'd guess it's someone with a beef against Boston, for whatever reason.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 04:16   Link #27491
Shay
Monarch Programmer
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Liverpool
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Yeah, in the last few years, I've started to feel more negatively about evil crimes and acts of injustice in the world. Six or seven years ago, I wouldn't have said the things I said in the previous page (not like what I said was all that bad). I probably wouldn't have written anything venomous, even if just a bit so. When the Virginia Tech shooting happened, I thought it was terrible, but I didn't say anything hateful about the perp.

But I'm becoming kind of bitter about low-life people doing low-life things. Mounting on top of that is frustration from other injustices, whether it be from governments, corporations, and so forth.
This! World needs to change. The way it is now I truly fear for my childrens future. Pisses me off!
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 05:01   Link #27492
sa547
Senior Member
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philippines
Age: 37
Equally disgusting are the Internet ghouls and trolls seeking to exploit the incident for their own ends, for greed or attention: dozens of URLs have set up, purportedly for installing fake charity sites; some sick fuck circulated the picture of the purported victim of the bombing, before deleting the source account.
__________________
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 05:07   Link #27493
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
After blast horror, many Bostonians extend kindness to runners
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F05K20130416
Boston hospitals scramble to care for wounded after blasts
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93F04O20130416
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 08:21   Link #27494
oompa loompa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 28° 37', North ; 77° 13', East
Age: 24
Meanwhile, in other parts of the world where the value of life is clearly not regarded highly by most of us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-wedding.html

30 dead after a US bomber accidentally raised a large part of a village.

Different articles I know, but I found it interesting nonetheless ( I wasn't able to find an NY times article on this).

" BOSTON — Two powerful bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, killing three people, including an 8-year-old child, and injuring more than 100, as one of this city’s most cherished rites of spring was transformed from a scene of cheers and sweaty triumph to one of screams and carnage. "

"At least 30 members of an Afghan wedding party were killed and many more wounded when a U.S. plane bombed a village in the central province of Uruzgan today, Afghan officials and residents said"

The people of Boston certainly didn't deserve this.. but this is daily life in much of the world. When all these people say "My thoughts go out to you, Boston" where 3 people died, its as if they affirm that no thought will be given to the large stretches of the world where terrorism and bomb-blasts are an everyday affair, not to mention some foreign power bombing the shit out of your small village for literally no reason. and no thoughts are given to them, no one even blinks when these innocent, war-torn miserable people are killed everyday.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 08:30   Link #27495
Cosmic Eagle
宿命に全てを奪われた少女
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 宿命と時間の巻きに
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Meanwhile, in other parts of the world where the value of life is clearly not regarded highly by most of us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-wedding.html

30 dead after a US bomber accidentally raised a large part of a village.

Different articles I know, but I found it interesting nonetheless ( I wasn't able to find an NY times article on this).

" BOSTON — Two powerful bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, killing three people, including an 8-year-old child, and injuring more than 100, as one of this city’s most cherished rites of spring was transformed from a scene of cheers and sweaty triumph to one of screams and carnage. "

"At least 30 members of an Afghan wedding party were killed and many more wounded when a U.S. plane bombed a village in the central province of Uruzgan today, Afghan officials and residents said"

The people of Boston certainly didn't deserve this.. but this is daily life in much of the world. When all these people say "My thoughts go out to you, Boston" where 3 people died, its as if they affirm that no thought will be given to the large stretches of the world where terrorism and bomb-blasts are an everyday affair, not to mention some foreign power bombing the shit out of your small village for literally no reason. and no thoughts are given to them, no one even blinks when these innocent, war-torn miserable people are killed everyday.
Oh plenty of us do blink, you can be assured. In the end though, it will still happen again and again since no one else cares anyway...
__________________
Cosmic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 08:31   Link #27496
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Age: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
Meanwhile, in other parts of the world where the value of life is clearly not regarded highly by most of us.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-wedding.html

30 dead after a US bomber accidentally raised a large part of a village.

Different articles I know, but I found it interesting nonetheless ( I wasn't able to find an NY times article on this).

" BOSTON — Two powerful bombs exploded near the finish line of the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon, killing three people, including an 8-year-old child, and injuring more than 100, as one of this city’s most cherished rites of spring was transformed from a scene of cheers and sweaty triumph to one of screams and carnage. "

"At least 30 members of an Afghan wedding party were killed and many more wounded when a U.S. plane bombed a village in the central province of Uruzgan today, Afghan officials and residents said"

The people of Boston certainly didn't deserve this.. but this is daily life in much of the world. When all these people say "My thoughts go out to you, Boston" where 3 people died, its as if they affirm that no thought will be given to the large stretches of the world where terrorism and bomb-blasts are an everyday affair, not to mention some foreign power bombing the shit out of your small village for literally no reason. and no thoughts are given to them, no one even blinks when these innocent, war-torn miserable people are killed everyday.
Ugh, I wish that article wasn't circulating. Is what happened with the Afghan wedding party terrible? You bet. But...that didn't happen yesterday. That happened 11 years ago, back in 2002. Elsewhere on the internet, I've seen people post that article, and they thought the incident happened yesterday. It didn't happen yesterday; that is what is a bother about it.

Although, it illustrates a good point. With those two damn "Bush wars", some of our bombers have bombed many innocent civilians, with the damage and amount of casualties being just as bad or worse than this Boston tragedy, and the U.S. government just labels it as "collateral damage". Just more injustice in the world.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
My guess is that this isn't an Islamic terrorist.

Bombings of this type is not really their style.

I'd guess it's someone with a beef against Boston, for whatever reason.

It could be a so called 'Islamic terrorist', that is certainly a possibility. Perhaps one of those "lone wolf" types the government has warned us about.

I, however, suspect that the terrorist is a domestic terrorist. I suspect that primarily, and suspect it is a Muslim extremist secondly.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic38963_5.gif

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2013-04-16 at 08:42.
Urzu 7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:20   Link #27497
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Although, it illustrates a good point. With those two damn "Bush wars", some of our bombers have bombed many innocent civilians, with the damage and amount of casualties being just as bad or worse than this Boston tragedy, and the U.S. government just labels it as "collateral damage". Just more injustice in the world.
It doesn't illustrate a good point. Although I might not be supportive of every war the US has been involved in, unless you can prove to me that the US army purposely targeted civilians then something like this is not comparable.

Where do you think people like the Taliban and other terrorist groups hide out in? They hide in civilian villages on purpose. This is why unfortunately there are civilian causalities in these type of wars.

In this case you have someone (and of course we have no idea who it was) who deliberately set bombs in a place where they knew many innocent people would be. It was on purpose to make some type of statement.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:29   Link #27498
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It doesn't illustrate a good point. Although I might not be supportive of every war the US has been involved in, if you can prove to me that the US army purposely targeted civilians then something like this is not comparable.
So it is ok to blast a wedding full of children and women just to get 1 AQ agent? What kind of monster are we, wiping out entire families and cheerful write them off like a accounting treatment?

Oh, here is another 10 last month.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/world/...tan-air-strike
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:31   Link #27499
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
So it is ok to blast a wedding full of children and women just to get 1 AQ agent? What kind of monster are we, wiping out entire families and cheerful write them off like a accounting treatment?
Did they purposely bomb a wedding? Or did the bomb hit a wedding? There is a big difference here.

And who said anyone is cheerfully writing off civilian causalities?

Terrorism attacks and civilian casualties of war are not the same thing. If you want to complain about how the uS handles civilian casualties that is one thing but to compare it to deliberate terrorism attacks is ridiculous.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 09:44   Link #27500
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Did they purposely bomb a wedding? Or did the bomb hit a wedding? There is a big difference here.
They see a whole bunch of people partying. They pressed fire, a missile launch from the sky. That is enough purpose to convince a jury in this country. Imagine if I chuck a grenade into a crowed restaurant, if I was aiming for Vinny the Chin, a mobster, does that make my actions morally correct even if it kill a family of 6 in the process?

Quote:
And who said anyone is cheerfully writing off civilian causalities?
The American government claim any young male age 14(?) and above are considered to be terrorists if they are found dead in the blast zone. If I was a Afghan/Pakstani/Yemenese/Sudanese mother, I would be be down right terrified. That is how Obama and Co keep the "collateral damage" figure down. I never thought I would see the day where the Bush and Co was actually more responsible with death tolls...


Quote:
Terrorism attacks and civilian casualties of war are not the same thing.
I am sure it will be cold comfort to the widows and orphans that the missile which took their love one away was not intended to terrify them. Can you imagine if China can fly over Ohio or New York and snipe wedding parties for suspected "insurgents" in support of Dali Lama or something?

Would that make their actions acceptable?
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.