AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-03-27, 21:03   Link #121
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
So until western animation (or any other cartoon for that matter) approach that level of consistency, no one is gonna stop me from making a distinction between anime and other cartoons.
I still make that distinction.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 21:11   Link #122
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
lol your taste would be different from mine then

Though in a bad economic situation with tons of moe, I'd say: Japan makes 4 Avatars a year.
No doubt we probably have different tastes, but where are these 4 Avatars of which you speak? Cuz I'm not seeing them, even though I'd be happy were they to exist. What are some anime you'd consider on par with Avatar from this past year (in terms of a combination of enjoyment level, production quality, and vaguely similar plot)? I can't think of any that fall within the realm of similarity, though of course maybe I missed something.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-27, 21:35   Link #123
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
If I put shounen, I'd easily name four.

If I put (must be similar and have elements), I wouldn't be able to easily name one

Four avatars to mean great shows.
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-31, 22:30   Link #124
deadlights911
Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Interesting reasons...
deadlights911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-01, 11:20   Link #125
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
To anyone who hasn't seen much (1 or 2)... The reasons would be bad (maybe)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 13:47   Link #126
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Hmm. Thanks to the Middle East anime notice... I was informed about this:

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?p=358

These three are listed as anime here -- where they're actually adamantly strict about listing what is anime vs not. These three have one thing in common:

Spoiler:
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 14:11   Link #127
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
With a Japanese director...
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-15, 14:32   Link #128
hyl
sneaking like a cat
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
And sadly enough i have seen the 3 animes that you listed, because it was airing on tv in the early 90's
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 13:27   Link #129
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard
 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Germany
Age: 33
I knew they were dutch because all the MCs were given a dutch accent in german TV lol.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 14:10   Link #130
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Hmm. Thanks to the Middle East anime notice... I was informed about this:

http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?p=358

These three are listed as anime here -- where they're actually adamantly strict about listing what is anime vs not. These three have one thing in common:

Spoiler:
Sadly Avatar is not listed as an anime...
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 16:47   Link #131
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
No doubt we probably have different tastes, but where are these 4 Avatars of which you speak? Cuz I'm not seeing them, even though I'd be happy were they to exist. What are some anime you'd consider on par with Avatar from this past year (in terms of a combination of enjoyment level, production quality, and vaguely similar plot)? I can't think of any that fall within the realm of similarity, though of course maybe I missed something.
Fantasy/Adventure hasn't been a popular genre in the last couple of years. The only one I can recall from the last couple of years that wasn't some harem rom-com was Legend of the Legendary Heroes, but I didn't watch that so I can't really comment whether or not it is 'Avatar' level.

However, this season we have Shingeki no Kyojin and Suisei no Gargantia, both which look to be at least 'Avatar' level just from the first 2 episodes.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 20:03   Link #132
risingstar3110
Dead Master ★ BRS
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
In a store you would find anime in one location, foreign films in another. Cartoons sometimes in another, but usually most are under Kids things. The rest are simply in with the regular films are in genre sections.


In a Japanese video store in San Francisco, the anime is seperated from the rest of the films as well. Anime is in aphabetical order only by title.
I misread this quote... And thought you said "alphabetical order by TITS... Was an awkward moment thinking about how those store dealer have to watch the series and estimate the heroine breast size.... Trying to range them from A toD....


Anyway... Agree with your point here. We simply can distinguish between anime and Western cartoon. There are lots of grey in between. But most would be able to recognise if it only a bit greyish.... Or coke black in colour. Animation style, story theme, underplaying culture, target audience groups..... All contributes
__________________
risingstar3110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-17, 22:48   Link #133
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
I misread this quote... And thought you said "alphabetical order by TITS... Was an awkward moment thinking about how those store dealer have to watch the series and estimate the heroine breast size.... Trying to range them from A toD....


Anyway... Agree with your point here. We simply can distinguish between anime and Western cartoon. There are lots of grey in between. But most would be able to recognise if it only a bit greyish.... Or coke black in colour. Animation style, story theme, underplaying culture, target audience groups..... All contributes
It's easy to recognize between both... Just that it's harder if the anime copies a cartoon style (P&S)
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 16:05   Link #134
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion Valkyrie View Post
Fantasy/Adventure hasn't been a popular genre in the last couple of years. The only one I can recall from the last couple of years that wasn't some harem rom-com was Legend of the Legendary Heroes, but I didn't watch that so I can't really comment whether or not it is 'Avatar' level.

However, this season we have Shingeki no Kyojin and Suisei no Gargantia, both which look to be at least 'Avatar' level just from the first 2 episodes.
Based on the plot description they both sound promising, I'll check them out. I thought Avatar was an amazing show, so it's probably going to be hard to live up to that, but somewhere in the ballpark of quality would be enjoyable indeed.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 05:45   Link #135
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Where turkeys can actually fly
Age: 20
Thread hopping.

Whilst anime does indeed simply mean animation, I certainly do feel like a distinction needs to be made, as it has evolved into quite different from American cartoons (Just using America as a reference point.)

Why?

It's simple. Simply, the methodological approach to telling a story is much different than American cartoons. Anime has its own unique tropes and makes use of storytelling conventions far differently than American cartoons. Arts style aside, the presentation, direction, general tropes and event animation techniques used are far more different than general Western animation.

With so much differences it's definitely not wrong to make a distinction between the two as different medium. Related mediums no less, but I'd say they're more like cousins to each other than a single entity.
theflyingturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 21:26   Link #136
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Sadly Avatar is not listed as an anime...
I've said this before. And I'll say it again:

Even I don't view Avatar as an anime.

But it's a step in the right direction. I had long argued it as an anime; but when I watched it, it fell short of my expectation. The most striking distinction were the way the characters talked and moved during times of dialogue.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:10   Link #137
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Unseen Horizon
Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I've said this before. And I'll say it again:

Even I don't view Avatar as an anime.

But it's a step in the right direction. I had long argued it as an anime; but when I watched it, it fell short of my expectation. The most striking distinction were the way the characters talked and moved during times of dialogue.
Is it because the dialogue is childish and not taken seriously, etc?
__________________

Dang it Avalon, you c(XD LOL)-block Shirou and Reinforce, but don't protect his mind in other ways? What is wrong, you woman?
Friendship, be made! Magical power, gather! Starlight Breaker.... this world!
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 02:03   Link #138
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42° 10' N (Latitude) 87° 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Is it because the dialogue is childish and not taken seriously, etc?
Childish dialogue has nothing to do with it, because there exist childish anime series. So, it's not the words that come out. It's how their mouths were moving and the postures they make. It tried to emulate similar movements to Japanese animation, but it simply falls short.

In terms of scenery? Acceptable.
Coloring? Also acceptable.

Now, if I were to more fairly compare Avatar, the comparison would have to come from somewhat earlier series. For you see, I just watched a YouTube compilation on Avatar's "funny moments" vs just 5-10 seconds on Saki: Achiga. In terms of animation overall, Achiga has much smoother transition effects. All I know is: something was throwing me off with Avatar.

Putting that aside, I'd like to see how American animators would deal with a drama series -- of similar length that we're accustomed to seeing (12-13 episodes, perhaps). We already know that American writers are more than capable of writing a stretched out drama. Can the animators (incl whole production team) do the same thing?
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 03:54   Link #139
Darigan Xweetok
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Kuroshitsuji is both an anime and a cartoon ( Not one, nor the other)

By definition, Kuroshitsuji is both an anime and a cartoon. Maybe people don't agree with Kuro ( and all anime) being both an anime and a cartoon, but that doesn't and will never change the fact that they are. Its not a debate its a fact! And Im pretty frustrated with anybody who wants to ignore the fact and say that it is not.

" All anime are cartoons but not all cartoons are anime". Fact!

I feel that needs to be in size 72 brightly colored glitter font.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
Anime is a form of animation, but it is a unique form of animation and is its own thing. Animation could be like fruit, and American animation is oranges and Japanese animation is peaches and 3D animated features (think Pixar) is apples, and so forth.

I still believe that Japan is the animation capital of the world. Large quantity of good and entertaining animation, with some great gems of animated feature films, too (like Miyazaki works). And I like that anime has everything from the edgy and the gar animations to the moe, fanservice, and ecchi animations.
Anime ARE cartoons. This is a fact and not up for debate. The fact that its drawn, colored and animated pretty much makes anybody that says different sound like an idiot, Sorry to break the facts to you but anime is NOT its own thing. Kuroshitsuji DES count as an animated cartoon whether you or any other uneducated anime fan like it or not!

Do you all REALLY think Kuro can't be classed as an animated cartoon because its not American animation. What is everybody's problem that they can't accept the facts? Do you add weight to being an otaku? Do you fall for the propaganda? Look up the definition of an animated cartoon and realize its laughable to claim Kuro ( or any other anime for that matter) is not. The ones who think Kuroshitsuji or any other anime can't be classed as an animated cartoon are out in left field. ANYTHING animated can be classed as a cartoon. ( Anime is a shortened form of " animation" for ***k's sake!) " All anime are cartoons but not all cartoons are anime". Fact! Geez people are uneducated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Well, to speak logically, there’s no difference between anime and other animation/cartoon from the rest of the world in general. Just like the article writer said, it’s just difference in terms used for anything animated. For example, here in my country, the equivalent for anime is called “animasi”.

Still, my “otaku-ish” side recognize anime as: any animation series/movies which story/script made by Japanese writers .
The first sentence of that really needs to be in size 72 rainbow font with a shine effect added to it.

Its not a "age old debate". Its a fact

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-10-27 at 09:40. Reason: Please us the "edit" button to add content to your post and stop "bumping" the thread.
Darigan Xweetok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-27, 10:49   Link #140
Akito Kinomoto
木之本 慊人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Age: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darigan Xweetok View Post
Anime ARE cartoons. This is a fact and not up for debate. The fact that its drawn, colored and animated pretty much makes anybody that says different sound like an idiot, Sorry to break the facts to you but anime is NOT its own thing. Kuroshitsuji DES count as an animated cartoon whether you or any other uneducated anime fan like it or not!
He's making an analogy with anime and fruit; all peaches are fruit, not all fruit are peaches. This is unwarranted criticism directed at someone who isn't saying the contrary.
__________________
My MALLet's do a head count here. We've got a ruthless spearman, a girl with a thousand muskets, a near-psycho fighting for love, and a deity who lives up to her status. You've managed to piss them all off. When they come, and they will, they're coming for you

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ I have an army

We have a Goddess
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.