AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-18, 01:49   Link #941
frodonk
Master of Killing Time
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The World God Only Knows
they can still grow food on the surface. from what I can see the titans were not interested in vegetables as a food source.

I'm guessing that they did live in caves at one point, before they built the walls.

I haven't read the source material so I wouldn't know.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:18   Link #942
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I just have a question that came to mind while watching ep2.

why didn't they just dug underground and lived there instead of building huge walls? wouldn't that be easier?
Leave those questions to Frodo Baggins, it's his job to ask the tough ones.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:18   Link #943
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Đế Quốc Đại Việt Thần Thánh
Age: 26
How can they harvest food when a lot of Titans wander around their crops?
__________________
War! War never changes
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:22   Link #944
chaos_animagic
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Should grow those special Corns inside Caves. LOL

(I saw it on TV... they had develop/ special selection Corn from inside Caves...)
chaos_animagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:23   Link #945
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
How can they harvest food when a lot of Titans wander around their crops?
That's what the walls are for.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:41   Link #946
Dragonkid11
A random-man
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
I just have a question that came to mind while watching ep2.

why didn't they just dug underground and lived there instead of building huge walls? wouldn't that be easier?
Conspiracy,it will happen even in steam punk.
Dragonkid11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 02:48   Link #947
TinyRedLeaf
On indefinite hiatus
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Singapore
Age: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
How can they harvest food when a lot of Titans wander around their crops?
Wall Maria, the outermost wall fell in year 845. Prior to that, farming presumably took place within those walls. After 845, arable land was reduced to that behind Wall Rosa, the second ring wall. Judging from the preview, Ep3 is set in year 847, two years after the fall of Wall Maria, and the start of Eren, Mikasa and Arin's training as recruits.

Incidentally, has anyone made an educated guess at the population distribution within the walled zones? It seems to me that the major "cities" are the four pocket zones on the perimeters of each wall. Eren's home city recorded losses of about 10,000 following the fall of Wall Maria, with about 500 refugees arriving in the inner zones by boat, and possibly a few hundred more by road. Assuming a casualty rate of at least 90 per cent, I'd estimate that Shiganshina, Eren's home district, probably had a total population of around 11,000 or 12,000.

Assuming 12 such districts in total, that would add up to about 150,000 humans in the pocket cities prior to the fall of Wall Maria. Assuming perhaps another 250,000 in the capital behind Wall Sina, that probably meant there was a rural population of about 850,000 living in isolated villages across all zones prior to year 845.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2013-04-18 at 05:55. Reason: Remind me why I'm not an accountant... ^^;
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 03:04   Link #948
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Wall Maria, the outermost wall fell in year 845. Prior to that, farming presumably took place within those walls. After 845, arable land was reduced to that behind Wall Rosa, the second ring wall. Judging from the preview, Ep3 is set in year 847, two years after the fall of Wall Maria, and the start of Eren, Mikasa and Arin's training as recruits.

Incidentally, has anyone made an educated guess at the population distribution within the walled zones? It seems to me that the major "cities" are the four pocket zones on the perimeters of each wall. Eren's home city recorded losses of about 10,000 following the fall of Wall Maria, with about 500 refugees arriving in the inner zones by boat, and possibly a few hundred more by road. Assuming a casualty rate of at least 90 per cent, I'd estimate that Shiganshina, Eren's home district, probably had a total population of around 11,000 or 12,000.

Assuming 12 such districts in total, that would add up to about 240,000 humans in the pocket cities prior to the fall of Wall Maria. Assuming perhaps another 250,000 in the capital behind Wall Sina, that probably meant there was a rural population of about 750,000 living in isolated villages across all zones prior to year 845.
It was mentioned that 250.000 people consisted of 1/5 of the total population, meaning that after they sent the lambs to the slaughter to have less refugees to feed there should be around 1 million people living within the remaining walls.
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 04:33   Link #949
Panzerklein
In cash we trust!
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Đế Quốc Đại Việt Thần Thánh
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
That's what the walls are for.
If they have walls to keep Titans from them, why they need live underground then ).
__________________
War! War never changes
Panzerklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 06:35   Link #950
Craxuan
Crax
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MY
The walls are a mystery; I wonder how many years it took to build those kind of shit. They're like ten times the length and size of The Great Wall of China!

At any rate this is one helluva anime, the visual quality coupled with epic music just makes people shiver with excitement!
__________________
Craxuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 07:00   Link #951
Accelolita_
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
The walls are a mystery; I wonder how many years it took to build those kind of shit. They're like ten times the length and size of The Great Wall of China!

At any rate this is one helluva anime, the visual quality coupled with epic music just makes people shiver with excitement!
Well, for manga reader it's not so much of a mystery anymore how that huge wall was build~


Aaaanyways. I actually can't wait to see all the acrobatic movements with that 3D Gear in the anime. It was nice and all in the manga, but seeing them using it with actual animation is just so much better.
Though I guess we have to wait a few more episodes until we get to see Eren & Co in action
Accelolita_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 07:49   Link #952
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craxuan View Post
The walls are a mystery; I wonder how many years it took to build those kind of shit. They're like ten times the length and size of The Great Wall of China!
Actually you are wrong on the length. Given the calculations I made and posted here Even adding up the length of the the three walls you barely reach 1/3 of the length of everything comprised in the great wall of China.

The Great wall of China is THAT huge.
However as I pointed out, when you consider that the walls of this manga are 50 ft meters tall there's no comparison in the monumental effort required to build them.


Quote:
why didn't they just dug underground and lived there instead of building huge walls? wouldn't that be easier?
Already answered, but from another point of view, let's compare the project of creating 7000 km of 50 m tall walls and the project of excavating an underground environment that can sustain about 1 million of people for an indefinite amount of time.

Both of them are absolutely implausible with medieval technology especially if under attack from a horde of titans. However in time of peace with the current real world technology the first project is entirely feasible, the second... is a bit unrealistic, it would cost a lot more and it would lead to way worse living conditions.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 09:06   Link #953
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: By the vending machine, drinking tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerklein View Post
If they have walls to keep Titans from them, why they need live underground then ).
They...don't...what the hell are you on?
__________________

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 09:13   Link #954
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
They...don't...what the hell are you on?
You need to follow the discussion to understand, I'll clarify it for you.

Frodonk: Why don't they just live underground instead of building walls?

Skane: Food.

Frodonk: They can live underground and cultivate stuff above ground. Titans won't destroy crops.

Panzerklein: How can they harvest food when a lot of Titans wander around their crops?

Randrak42: That's what the walls are for.

Panzerklein: If they have walls to keep Titans from them, why they need live underground then


Of course it would have helped if Panzerklein used the "quote" function.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 09:42   Link #955
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
“Shingeki No Kyojin” Height Comparison Chart

Heh. So older Mikasa and Eren are around the same height.

“Shingeki No Kyojin” Up-Close Titan Illustration

The Armored Titan looks creepy in that illustration.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 09:53   Link #956
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelolita_ View Post
Well, for manga reader it's not so much of a mystery anymore how that huge wall was build~
Actually even in the manga the walls are still a huge mystery. The reveal about them doesn't really explain how they were built, or who built them. All it really does is make the mystery even deeper by raising even more questions.

We'll see if the anime gets that far though. I'm not convinced it will.
__________________
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 10:05   Link #957
Iron Maw
~Undying Loyality~
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
Well all ten volumes of the manga are in the top 40 on the Oricon chart this week, which seems like a good indicator that the anime is going to be a mega hit.
Damn, and after just one episode?


BTW seems like there are even more Shingeki OP MADs out. This has definitely gone Memetic.

Attack on Satan
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
“Shingeki No Kyojin” Height Comparison Chart

Heh. So older Mikasa and Eren are around the same height.
She apparently weights a little more than he does too.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 10:14   Link #958
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Actually even in the manga the walls are still a huge mystery. The reveal about them doesn't really explain how they were built, or who built them. All it really does is make the mystery even deeper by raising even more questions.

We'll see if the anime gets that far though. I'm not convinced it will.
They have 25 episodes to work with so I think they'll reach that point unless they pad the hell out of the anime with original material or decide to go for an anime original ending early on (scared of that). The chapter right after this reveal is actually a decent stopping point for this season. The best I can think of, in fact. Provides enough answers and doesn't end on a cliffhanger.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 10:42   Link #959
totoum
Backstop
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Age: 26
Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
They have 25 episodes to work with so I think they'll reach that point unless they pad the hell out of the anime with original material or decide to go for an anime original ending early on (scared of that). The chapter right after this reveal is actually a decent stopping point for this season. The best I can think of, in fact. Provides enough answers and doesn't end on a cliffhanger.
Doesn't end on a cliffhanger?Maybe I didn't understand correctly but you're talking ch34 right?That has a massive cliffhanger,not that I'd mind since I'm pretty sure this is gonna sell and we'd get a 2nd season (in a couple years) so I 'd rather they do that than anime original ending.

Ending I had in mind was Ch30
__________________
totoum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 10:48   Link #960
Raviel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
“Shingeki No Kyojin” Height Comparison Chart

Heh. So older Mikasa and Eren are around the same height.

“Shingeki No Kyojin” Up-Close Titan Illustration

The Armored Titan looks creepy in that illustration.
I don't think it's creepy at all, the Armored Titan looks pretty badass to me. It also reminds me someone wearing the nanosuits in Crysis or the more human looking versions of the Resident Evil Tyrants.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.