AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-20, 19:16   Link #921
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
either method, don't see there being a way for duplicates to take place.

Each pair shares the cards from one deck.
No, in the second method they each have a deck of all fifty cards and deal out twenty-five. They are not dividing a single deck of fifty between them.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:24   Link #922
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Who deals them, then? Does one of the players? Which?



I can only see a couple of methods for distributing the cards at the beginning of the match. Either there is one stack of fifty cards that is distributed between the players by some process equivalent to "dealing," or they each begin with identical stacks of fifty cards and deal themselves twenty-five. I'm not trying to be pedantic here; I'm just trying to understand the process.
It's definitely the first method. As for who deals - I think when they kneel down, they have their 25 cards waiting for them in a pile, so I suppose tournament officials do it.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:36   Link #923
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's definitely the first method. As for who deals - I think when they kneel down, they have their 25 cards waiting for them in a pile, so I suppose tournament officials do it.
And, to return to the original question, is each deal of fifty cards unique to that match? Indeed, are the fifty dealt in one match different from the fifty used in another? I would think that is the only way a situation like Tsutomu's match against Akaishi Girls could happen, one where only that pair had the two unread cards. Thinking about that again tells me the odds of it happening are even smaller than I originally thought because this situation only occurs when none of the other four pairs has either of the remaining cards.
__________________
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:38   Link #924
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I don't know the methodology, but it seems to me that a great deal of plot developments in Chihayafuru would make no sense if the same 50 cards weren't being used in all five matches.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 21:51   Link #925
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Bah, Arata. Don't you see Shinobu just wants to spend more time with you, you blockhead?

Well, at least she did stop by the team match just in time for the finals. Wonder how her presence is going to affect Chihaya or the granddaughter kid...


Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
They did according to the credits : Serino Keiko (芹野恵子) is a member of Japan Karuta Association who's apparently 6-dan & full time reader.
Impressive. Even to my untrained ears she sounded different.
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:57   Link #926
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And, to return to the original question, is each deal of fifty cards unique to that match? Indeed, are the fifty dealt in one match different from the fifty used in another? I would think that is the only way a situation like Tsutomu's match against Akaishi Girls could happen, one where only that pair had the two unread cards. Thinking about that again tells me the odds of it happening are even smaller than I originally thought because this situation only occurs when none of the other four pairs has either of the remaining cards.
Not really.
If each pair does have the same set of cards, the only way the 5-way luck draw will happen if each were even.

But with Tsutomu's situation with him being the only one left, doesn't mean that the other 4 pairs didn't have any of those cards, but there's ended first.

The other 4 pairs ending first because one side managed to dominate the other, and coming down to 1 left is a much more common scenario than a 5-way luck draw.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 04:46   Link #927
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
And, to return to the original question, is each deal of fifty cards unique to that match? Indeed, are the fifty dealt in one match different from the fifty used in another? I would think that is the only way a situation like Tsutomu's match against Akaishi Girls could happen, one where only that pair had the two unread cards. Thinking about that again tells me the odds of it happening are even smaller than I originally thought because this situation only occurs when none of the other four pairs has either of the remaining cards.
What HandOfFate said. A match can take anything from 25 to 49 readings of live cards, depending on how close it is. You don't need to read all the cards on a field to decide a game. Just enough for one player to gain 25 cards.

So, yeah, all five matches (and for that matter, all matches being played at the same time) have the same 50 cards.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 05:59   Link #928
Azuma Denton
~AD~
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Managed to catch up to latest episode.
Damn, I keep falling in love with the character interaction in this serie.

One question.
Do you think they hire a real certified reader of Karuta on episode 15?
Her voice seem different with other reader so far.

Already being answered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyouray View Post
They did according to the credits : Serino Keiko (芹野恵子) is a member of Japan Karuta Association who's apparently 6-dan & full time reader.
Ah, yesh. That's why her voice different from the usual seiyuu voice.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 06:19   Link #929
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
What HandOfFate said. A match can take anything from 25 to 49 readings of live cards, depending on how close it is. You don't need to read all the cards on a field to decide a game. Just enough for one player to gain 25 cards.
A match can take less than 25 live card readings. The minimum amount is in fact zero, if 25 dead cards are read in a row while the same player keeps touching a card with each reading he/she would lose the match.
The minimum amount of continuously live card reading that can determine a winner is 13. This involves a player taking the right card while his opponent touches the wrong card 13 times in a row this creates a two card lead per reading.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 06:57   Link #930
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
So, yeah, all five matches (and for that matter, all matches being played at the same time) have the same 50 cards.
The reason for this is that matches can take a lot longer if each pair is using a different set of 50 cards (there'd be a lot more pausing so that players can retrieve cards etc).

So, as Anh Minh implies, it also applies for the individual matches in the High School tournament - all the matches taking place in the same location, with the same reader, use the same 50 cards (though these 50 are randomly split between each pair). It's the organisers who set it all up, it seems.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
A match can take less than 25 live card readings. The minimum amount is in fact zero, if 25 dead cards are read in a row while the same player keeps touching a card with each reading he/she would lose the match.
The minimum amount of continuously live card reading that can determine a winner is 13. This involves a player taking the right card while his opponent touches the wrong card 13 times in a row this creates a two card lead per reading.
The opponent would actually have to be touching a card on the wrong side of the field (i.e. on the opposite side to the read card), as it's not a fault if he/she touches a card on the same side as the read card.

So yeah, near impossible
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 07:28   Link #931
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Once again Taichi thoughts go to Arata and it has nothing to do with his feelings for Chihaya.

But Taichi I don't care if he looks like him don't compare that pervert to Arata.

Arata, your fatal flaw is your a goody two shoes. But I still love you!

Kana...I feel so bad for her.

Shinobu is awesome. I loved her snowman undergarments.

I watched this episode 2 days late and now I have 2 days less to wait for episode 16 (it's still torture though).

So I've been thinking at the least this team match will take one more episode. It's very likely it will take 2 more episodes.

That leaves us with only 8 or 9 episodes for the individual match.

I don't think Chihaya will get to the finals this time with both Shinobu and Arata playing.

Taichi's could possibly win his B-match and finally get to Class-A

Will any of the other team members move up as well? Will Kana even be able to play at all with her finger injured?

Also Sumire hasn't played at all this entire time. But I expect she will play during the individual match. Of course she hasn't been playing this whole time, but could all the games she has watched actually benefit her play?
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 07:55   Link #932
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Once again Taichi thoughts go to Arata and it has nothing to do with his feelings for Chihaya.

But Taichi I don't care if he looks like him don't compare that pervert to Arata.
It'd be nice for Taichi if Arata had the same big breast fetish, though...
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 07:57   Link #933
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It'd be nice for Taichi if Arata had the same big breast fetish, though...

I'd rather they share the love of the same author or something like that.

edit: Okay obviously I read that wrong

See I can't help myself I ultimately see them as friends not rivals (even though they are both).
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 08:41   Link #934
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well, they'd totally be more friends and less rivals if Arata had a big breasts fetish. Taichi could be his wingman or introduce him to some of his big breasted fans (he's got to have some) or something, and keep slender Chihaya to himself.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 08:52   Link #935
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, they'd totally be more friends and less rivals if Arata had a big breasts fetish. Taichi could be his wingman or introduce him to some of his big breasted fans (he's got to have some) or something, and keep slender Chihaya to himself.
Hey

He'd still be his karuta rival though.


edit: So has anyone confirmed if the series uses actual professional readers for the series?

Omi Jingu was promoting the series when I was in Japan. And there was also a promotion going on at the 100 poem museum in Arashiyama.

So I don't think it is out of the question that the series could get real readers to voice act for the show.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:13   Link #936
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
I believe this is the first time they've gotten an actual reader. A well-known one, anyway.

And for the record, Taichi of course has no way of knowing the Fujisaki dude is a breast otaku when he compares him to Arata - it's strictly a physical resemblance.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:21   Link #937
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
And for the record, Taichi of course has no way of knowing the Fujisaki dude is a breast otaku when he compares him to Arata - it's strictly a physical resemblance.
I know I know I was just being silly.

Not sure if Taichi could beat Arata yet but he BETTER beat that pervert. Taichi do it for Kana who cannot play and for your female fans out there!
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:39   Link #938
Utsuro no Hako
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I don't know the methodology, but it seems to me that a great deal of plot developments in Chihayafuru would make no sense if the same 50 cards weren't being used in all five matches.
It's no different from how poker's depicted in movies. In real life most hands come down to two pair vs three of a kind, but in films every hand of every game involves a full house or straight flush, and two pairs only come up if someone's bluffing.

And don't even get started on Saki ...
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:56   Link #939
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
It's no different from how poker's depicted in movies. In real life most hands come down to two pair vs three of a kind, but in films every hand of every game involves a full house or straight flush, and two pairs only come up if someone's bluffing.

And don't even get started on Saki ...
Well - no, it's completely different. There's no way, for example, that the across-the-board luck-of-the-draw finish vs. Hokuo could have happened if every game was using a different set of 50 cards. The odds against it would be millions-to-one.

And I've played a lot of poker, and seen more hands won with single pairs and Ace-high than two pairs or three of a kind...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 10:03   Link #940
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I definitely think the same cards are used for each team match. Wasn't that confirmed today when Taichi was like the Chihayaburu card is not on the field?

And also when we saw Houko use a split card strategy (that only works if every team member is using the same cards).

Now I am not sure if all teams playing at the same time have the same cards?

Like does the Houko VS Megumu team match have the same cards as Mizusawa VS Fujisaki.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cards, josei, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.