AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

Notices

Old 2013-04-20, 22:23   Link #1081
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Eren has always been my least favorite character in the series, and I enjoy the series best when there's too much going on (usually action) to fixate on what a generic shounen male lead he is (ala Naruto, and virtually every other shounen manga male lead).

That said, I like the pacing, as I'm sure they could have really slowed things down and stretched the material out if they had wanted to (which was actually a big fear of mine initially). Looks like we do yet another time skip to a point further along in their training, and....possibly some action again.

Also, loved the still-frame animation of potato girl asking Misaka for the bread, and Misaka picking it up and then eating it. The look on both their faces was priceless. Though, it's strange how the bread goes from being whole, to having a piece missing...before Misaka even puts it in her mouth....

As for the age thing, yes, I'm sure Misaka has made pedophiles out of many viewers. While I personally have no issues with Mary Sues (in fact, I rather like them, much to the chagrin of every woman I've ever dated), it is surprising how some characters get venomous responses to their Mary Sueness...and some do not.

As for translation issues, I apparently watched that "other" sub, which isn't so full of themselves (considering who they are, the irony!) so as to call them something other than Titans. So, no issues there.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-20 at 22:45.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:25   Link #1082
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Who cares about Mikasa? Potato-girl Sasha has easily become my favourite character of the show.

Not particularly pleased with the use of "Eoten" in place of Titans for Giants. For a start, it was confusing. Secondly, I don't see why there is a particular need to quibble over which is the more "correct" term as the producers themselves have decided to use "Titan" for Kyojin.

Anyway, those are just minor quibbles. As for the characters' age, again, it's hardly a first for anime, is it? As the joke goes, heroes are considered over-the-hill by the time they're 30. Historically, though, it's not as surprising as you may at first think. At a time when average life expectancy was around 35, people were considered adults by the time they hit puberty.

The idea that teenagers are still children until they graduate from higher education is a fairly recent invention, an outcome of the social revolution that took place after industrialisation.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:31   Link #1083
Misslaly

Sasha was the best part in this episode
Old 2013-04-20, 22:39   Link #1084
dark998

Great episode. This week the action and drama took a rest to let the character development and comedy (!) shine thoroughly. Those scenes with Sasha were pure gold. And talking about females...goddamn, Mikasa turned into such a beauty.
dark998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:43   Link #1085
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
The line spoken in here is the exact same line she spoke in the manga, you got that backward. The correct one is Eren is in relief thinking that he won't be separated from Mikasa. Just look at the expression of the other guys when she spoke that
Well then...guess the manga translation I read was wrong and it should be ashamed of itself!
On that note, it is now funny to see Mikasa be delusional xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
Eren has always been my least favorite character in the series, and I enjoy the series best when there's too much going on (usually action) to fixate on what a generic shounen male lead he is (ala Naruto, and virtually every other shounen manga male lead).
Please tell me you're an anime-only viewer...because if you have read the manga and still say Eren is a generic shounen hero like Naruto then you need your eyes checked and your brain scanned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Who cares about Mikasa? Potato-girl Sasha has easily become my favourite character of the show.
I dunno what's best, that Sasha was confused as to how someone didn't know why humans ate potatoes or that she was kinda pissed that she had to share a third of the potato with him xD

Quote:
Anyway, those are just minor quibbles. As for the characters' age, again, it's hardly a first for anime, is it? As the joke goes, heroes are considered over-the-hill by the time they're 30. Historically, though, it's not as surprising as you may at first think. At a time when average life expectancy was around 35, people were considered adults by the time they hit puberty.

The idea that teenagers are still children until they graduate from higher education is a fairly recent invention, an outcome of the social revolution that took place after industrialisation.
The problem wasn't that they were young...but that they looked 20 rather than their age xD

Spoiler for Top 10 Harem Protagonists:
Randrak42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:43   Link #1086
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

By the way, who is Grisha? I thought Eren's mother was called Carla? Was Grisha her maiden name?

Also, count me among those confused by Mikasa's interpretation of Eren's expression. Why would he be relieved about not being separated from her if that was never going to be an option in the first place? Mikasa had already declared she'd follow him no matter where he goes. Odd choice of lines. I suppose the only way I could rationalise it would be to believe that Mikasa knows Eren well enough to expect that he'd insist that she stayed on as a soldier while he returned to the landfills.

And, if sabotage were involved, I would have pinned Jean as the prime suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
The problem wasn't that they were young...but that they looked 20 rather than their age.
No offence meant to Westerners, but I've always felt that they age physically a lot faster than Asians. That's based on my perception of the Westerners I've known in real life. So, it's not beyond the realm of plausibility to see teenagers already looking like adults.

By the way, the characters in Game Of Thrones aren't that "old" either. Daenerys Targaryen was only about 14 at the start of the saga, but she's portrayed in the TV series by an actress in her mid-20s. So, it's not just anime that's guilty of ageing characters prematurely.
Old 2013-04-20, 22:46   Link #1087
Aesthetic Shampoo

I think Grisha is Eren's dad's name.
Aesthetic Shampoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:46   Link #1088
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Please tell me you're an anime-only viewer...because if you have read the manga
I realize most people don't even bother paying lip service to it, but there's a manga thread if you want to talk about the manga, and anime threads are supposed to be used to talk about the...anime, while limiting what we may or may not know from reading the manga show in what we post.

So, while I shouldn't have to make myself clear, I'll go ahead and do so. Any thoughts I post here are generally based on what I've seen so far of the anime.
Old 2013-04-20, 22:47   Link #1089
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
By the way, who is Grisha? I thought Eren's mother was called Carla? Was Grisha her maiden name?
Grisha is Eren's father.

Quote:
I realize most people don't even bother paying lip service to it, but there's a manga thread if you want to talk about the manga, and anime threads are supposed to be used to talk about the...anime.

So, while I shouldn't have to make myself clear, I'll go ahead and do so. Any thoughts I post here are based on what I've seen so far of the anime.
When you say "Always" I instantly assumed you were including manga...considering it's still on episode 3.

Old 2013-04-20, 22:48   Link #1090
Iron Maw
Eastern Sage

Quote:
Please tell me you're an anime-only viewer...because if you have read the manga and still say Eren is a generic shounen hero like Naruto then you need your eyes checked and your brain scanned.
I don't see how he's like Naruto either outside being the same age (in this episode). =/ His ideals and views are completely different.

Quote:

Also, count me among those confused by Mikasa's interpretation of Eren's expression. Why would he be relieved about not being separated from her if that was never going to be an option in the first place? After all, she has already declared she'd follow him no matter where he goes.

And, if sabotage were involved, I would have pinned Jean as the prime suspect.
Grisha is his dad's name.

EDIT:

What everyone else said.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:51   Link #1091
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:

No offence meant to Westerners, but I've always felt that they age physically a lot faster than Asians. That's based on my perception of the Westerners I've known in real life. So, it's not beyond the realm of plausibility to see teenagers already looking like adults.
I've been living in Japan for a while now, and I never saw any 12 year-olds that look like these...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:54   Link #1092
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I've been living in Japan for a while now, and I never saw any 12 year-olds that look like these...
Well, keep in mind that the anime doesn't state how old they are, and more importantly, they're all obviously not the same age, much like any real life military's boot camp. We had people ranging from 17 to 32 when I did basic training. There are some people mixed in with that group that are quite obviously a bit older, even taking anime aging standards into consideration.

Last edited by creb; 2013-04-20 at 23:10.
Old 2013-04-20, 22:56   Link #1093
TinyRedLeaf
. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I think the characters are supposed to be... Pan-Western/Asian?

With surnames like Jaeger, Ackerman, Braus and Braun, it seems fairly clear that most of them aren't Asian.
Old 2013-04-20, 22:59   Link #1094
Iron Maw
Eastern Sage

Quote:
Well, keep in mind that the anime doesn't state how old they are, and more importantly, they're all obviously not the same age, much like any real life military's boot camp.
The anime follows the manga though, however it is true that not everyone likely the same age.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:08   Link #1095
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
So, while I shouldn't have to make myself clear, I'll go ahead and do so. Any thoughts I post here are generally based on what I've seen so far of the anime.
The fact he was failing due to faulty equipment and not lack of talent already makes him quite different from naruto.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:13   Link #1096
richardtengcy

On Mikasa looking older....well girls tend to mature more than boys at that age so i`m not really bother too much about it except for the lipstick which i found out from some people that IG likes to put lipstick on female character. Nonetheless, Mikasa look stunningly beautiful.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2013-04-20 at 23:35. Reason: Please don't mention fansub groups for a LICENSED anime...
richardtengcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:24   Link #1097
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Nowhere did I say I dislike Eren because of his failures.

I'll refrain from saying anything more about his character traits, as I'm well aware that the massive popularity of shounen manga/anime puts me in a minority position when it comes to what type of things I admire in my character leads, and a back and forth over Eren isn't going to magically change anyone's views. I was simply stating my view. Moving on.
Old 2013-04-20, 23:26   Link #1098
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Nowhere did I say I dislike Eren because of his failures.

I'll refrain from saying anything more about his character traits, as I'm well aware that the massive popularity of shounen manga/anime puts me in a minority position when it comes to what type of things I admire in my character leads, and a back and forth over Eren isn't going to magically change anyone's views. I was simply stating my view. Moving on.
It's not about liking or disliking him...it's about labeling him as something he is not >_>

Old 2013-04-20, 23:34   Link #1099
Guido

I'm somewhat lukewarm towards Eren, though his recklessness and hotheadedness are a measure of how much he's burning inside to fight and survive for his freedom; at least, as a child he did not spend time onscreen whining and wallowing but attempting to do something.

The guy is not a Raki.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:36   Link #1100
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
Honestly, I have a big problem with how they randomly have Mikasa looking like a 20 something women in some scenes and a normal teen in others. I know it's been talked about already but the goddamn lips are incredibly distracting and out of place and I cannot even begin to wonder why they keep putting them on Mikasa and no other girl. It bugged me the entire episode and I pray they don't draw her like that in later eps (hopefully because enough people bitched about it).

Tags
action, dystopian, fantasy, post-apocalyptic, shounen, terror, tragedy, violence