AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-20, 17:56   Link #27801
Archon_Wing
Hater
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lion's Arch
Age: 30
Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
People seem to be confusing Muslim and Arab on here.
Yep, it makes it easier to hate if you can't tell them apart.

Muslim is the new Jew, aka new scapegoat, which apparently caused all the world's evil. The additional benefit to this kind of bigotry, is that now one can blame Jews for inspiring Islam, and since they're all in the Middle East origin, you get a 3 for 1 bigotry deal. Brilliant.

It's kinda like if a minority robs someone, it suddenly will be used to reinforce certain ideas, but if not, then it's just a thief.

When I was younger, I used to think that all the Abrahamic religions were the bad stuff because they were responsible for so much conflict and oppression. Until I realized that the members of them contained a large amount of humans-- that's what they really have in common, and thus it is actually humans are the real scum. If one wants to really vanquish evil and direct their fear against a group, then endeavor to wipe out humanity-- starting with oneself, of course. Wiping out every Muslim won't get rid of terrorism. But wiping out every human being will. Is that what we want?
__________________
What appears to be a moment for the helper feels like an eternity to the helpee.
Avatar and Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480 (Stormbluff Isle)
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:31   Link #27802
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
This is silly. Regardless of how you try to quibble over whether Islamic texts make it easier to justify violent conquest or not, the fact remains that early and medieval Christians were just as able to use Christianity as a justification for expansionist military conquests as Islam was able to. Christianity didn't go from obscure cult to one of the most dominant religions on the planet by playing nice.

The reason Islam produces so many terrorists today is because the theological center of the Muslim world is a fragmented mess left over from colonialism.
You're completely right (I've acknowledged this from the start). I don't think Islam produces so many terrorists simply because it's Islam. It's obviously for the reasons you stated, but, hey, I'm still allowed to ponder the concept that being an adherent of Islam may make it easier to justify violence if you're already predisposed to it, like I've said all along.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:49   Link #27803
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
You're completely right (I've acknowledged this from the start). I don't think Islam produces so many terrorists simply because it's Islam. It's obviously for the reasons you stated, but, hey, I'm still allowed to ponder the concept that being an adherent of Islam may make it easier to justify violence if you're already predisposed to it, like I've said all along.
look at the IRA, Lookup the history of the Thirty Year War. religion is just a excuse.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 19:56   Link #27804
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
look at the IRA, Lookup the history of the Thirty Year War. religion is just a excuse.
It's always an excuse. I don't really think any conflict has been undertaken solely for religious reasons; not even the Muslim Conquests, not even the Crusades. There are always underlying reasons, usually economic, or, at the very least, simply a desire for increased power and influence, which I don't think any religion endorses.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 20:00   Link #27805
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It's always an excuse. I don't really think any conflict has been undertaken solely for religious reasons; not even the Muslim Conquests, not even the Crusades. There are always underlying reasons, usually economic, or, at the very least, simply a desire for increased power and influence, which I don't think any religion endorses.
i didn't entirely address your main point.

Islam isn't any more easier to justify violence then Christianity or any other religion.
the fact of the matter is that, it doesn't matter what religion it is. people will do what they want to.
__________________

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2013-04-20 at 20:15.
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 20:06   Link #27806
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i didn't entirely address your main point.

Islam is any more easier to justify violence then Christianity or any other religion.
the fact of the matter is that, it doesn't matter what religion it is. people will do what they want to.
We are in complete agreement on that one, for better or worse. I always found it funny how when the Anglo Saxons were first converted, they interpreted Jesus as a warrior who defeated the cross to rise from the dead. Fits much better for them than what is actually said in the Bible.

It doesn't matter in the end, I'm aware of that. I just think that Islam does kind of have this element where the prophet himself led the conquest of a city. It might be an easier rallying cry, but obviously, what the holy text even says is irrelevant, so I guess it's a moot point.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 22:44   Link #27807
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Kerry says doubling U.S. non-lethal aid to Syrian opposition
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93K00220130421

Analysis: Keep calm and carry on in India's slumping car market
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93G15T20130417
__________________

ganbaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-20, 23:43   Link #27808
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Okay, but you're not really making any effort to dispute the point I brought up about conquest and Muhammad. 'That's all there is to it' works when a parent scolds his child for misbehaving, not in an academic style discussion.



You read my post, so you should know that I don't think the presence of extremists in and of itself is any reason to conclude the religion has 'natural violent tendencies.' My point was it might be easier to justify your violent actions when you look at something like Muhammad conquering Mecca as your inspiration when compared to, say, Christianity, where Jesus never conquered anything.



Yes. My idea was that perhaps Islam, as a religion, makes it easier to justify violent resistance. NOT that Islam is inherently violent, not that it's evil, but that IF one wanted to justify their violent actions, it seems to me to be easier to point directly to concepts like Jihad and the conquest of Mecca to gather inspiration. You can definitely still do it with Christianity or Buddhism, but you've got to be a bit more roundabout in doing so.
I didn't address the whole origin thing because that is not relevant. Regardless of how christianity came to be, there still were violent crusades done in its name, which was instrumental in soldifying christianity's hold over Europe. While Islam spread mostly peacefully world wide, with historical forced-conversion efforts being all localized affair. Saying Islam makes it easier to justify violent resistance is the same as saying it is inherently violent, since in the end people can bend pretty much everything to suit their interests in times and places. What about Reconquista then ? It succeeded after all. How is Islam any more practical as violent resistant ideology then christianity ? It's never about canonical tenets, which parts of you can always modify or ignore to suit your interests. It's about the human factor and the situation they're in, in other words, how people utilize and organize any resource at their disposal to meet the challenges they're facing.
__________________

Last edited by Ridwan; 2013-04-21 at 00:03.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 00:24   Link #27809
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Whoa, hold it there. You believe in a magic man in the clouds, you're clearly not sane.
I'm sane coz I'm no radical you, you... human!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 00:37   Link #27810
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Seeing how the majority of the world is religious for much of human history, it's an endless wonder how civilization and intellectual ferment, both of which require logical thinking, ever happen in the first place.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 01:36   Link #27811
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Moderation and understanding. An attempt to understand another group of people through their religion can yield interesting results.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 01:45   Link #27812
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Moderation and understanding. An attempt to understand another group of people through their religion can yield interesting results.
But but but RELIJUN !!!! O:
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 01:50   Link #27813
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
But but but RELIJUN !!!! O:
YES RELIGION IS A SCOURGE!

BURN DOWN ALL THE CHURCHES, TEMPLES AND MOSQUES!

CASTRATE INSTEAD OF CIRCUMCISION SO THEIR BAD GENES DON'T PASS DOWN!

HANG ALL IMAMS, ARCHDEACONS AND HEAD MONKS!

[/sarcasm]

Ahem. Back on topic.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 02:20   Link #27814
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
Seeing how the majority of the world is religious for much of human history, it's an endless wonder how civilization and intellectual ferment, both of which require logical thinking, ever happen in the first place.
Human progress takes baby steps.

Alchemy is bullshit; but without Alchemy we would never have Chemistry. Without people thinking there are things that exist which we can't see, we would never have Imaginary numbers and Quantum Mechanics.

Humanity get things wrong all the time, and will keep getting things wrong. But if we don't try we wouldn't get anywhere. Creation myths are a bunch of baloney, but without them humanity would never have bothered to wonder how the universe worked. Just because our ancestors have less to work with doesn't mean they shouldn't have tried to understand the world.

What IS the problem, is those who think anything that is old is automatically better than anything that is new. Now, it works in reverse too, in that you can't discount old wisdom. But the fact is too many people have the mistaken belief that anything that is traditional is infallible.

People used to die in their 30's. Together with limited and controlled access to information, organised religion was once able to update themselves to modern standards and claim they never changed anything. In this way, religion is able to be progressive while lie to their followers that they were doing what their ancestors had always done.

You can't do that now; too much info has become widely available. The Catholic Church can't just stealthily decide that contraception has always been acceptable. The same way they stealthily decided the Pagan Winter Solstice is now the Birthday of Jesus. If only they went back to the good old days when the holy book was in Latin and most people can't read it...
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 02:31   Link #27815
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
I wasn't being serious. My point is that religion being an archaic relic that opposes progress is one humongous oversimplification. But what you say is true. Though instinctive conservatism is an integral part of human nature, and will always be around.
__________________

Last edited by Ridwan; 2013-04-21 at 02:46.
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 02:51   Link #27816
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridwan View Post
My point is that religion being an archaic relic that opposes progress is one humongous oversimplification.
Opposes progress? I thought the Church saved Civilization from barbaric idiots that attack the Roman Empire....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 03:25   Link #27817
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Opposes progress? I thought the Church saved Civilization from barbaric idiots that attack the Roman Empire....
I remember once hearing the excuse that religion is pro-science because "most Middle Ages European researchers were Christian". This of course showed how ignorant people can be, as being Christian isn't optional back then. Being a heretic gets you killed. More importantly all the libraries were under Church control so if you want to read, study or publish, you had to at least pretend to be religious.

The Church didn't save science or knowledge; the Church simply had a monopoly on information, and as such only sanctioned science was permitted.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 03:56   Link #27818
Ridwan
Got A Bad Desire
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: قلوب المؤمنين
More like, religion isn't particularly anti or pro science. European christendom is rather unique in that there was a body with colossal monopoly over intellectuality. The whole anti-science stuff also has never been about an actual anti-science stance. Still, in regards to the extent of polarization over the issue, Western civilization has had no match.
__________________
Ridwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 05:01   Link #27819
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I remember once hearing the excuse that religion is pro-science because "most Middle Ages European researchers were Christian". This of course showed how ignorant people can be, as being Christian isn't optional back then. Being a heretic gets you killed. More importantly all the libraries were under Church control so if you want to read, study or publish, you had to at least pretend to be religious.

The Church didn't save science or knowledge; the Church simply had a monopoly on information, and as such only sanctioned science was permitted.
Well, for good or ill, the Church gathered resources from all over and sunk them into things which had no immediate uses. We wouldn't be where we are if every peasant back then hadn't given to the Church instead of making sure they had enough to last the winter.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 06:14   Link #27820
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well, for good or ill, the Church gathered resources from all over and sunk them into things which had no immediate uses. We wouldn't be where we are if every peasant back then hadn't given to the Church instead of making sure they had enough to last the winter.
I have a feeling the tithe isn't exactly spent on science to any great extent. There is a reason the Papal States got burned down by angry Italians.

And if peasants have enough to last the winter, they would be able to do their own science. Remember that the Church didn't fund the Renaissance; the Medici did. Galileo had the Medici to thank for paying his bills. A family of foreign exchange traders.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.