AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 13:49   Link #901
Kaoru Chujo
Minase Inori

Brilliant episode 3. One of those that ends when it hardly seems fifteen minutes have passed. And no wonder, when you see the main staff: directed by Niidome Toshiya, who did key animation on Kimagure Orange Road in the eighties, and has directed and done storyboards for multiple episodes of shows including Naruto and Moribito.

And the storyboard was by Nishimura Junji, the director of Windy Tales, Simoun, and True Tears. Simoun is my favorite anime, and True Tears is right up there for me.

Script by 砂阿久雁 (whose name I don't know how to pronounce) who is a writer for Nitroplus, the game company Urobuchi Gen is with.

By the way, Chihara Minori's OP song is great, but ChouCho's ED is at least as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334
...Rajkiel (now spelled "Lukkage" for some reason)....
Her name in romanized Japanese is Rakeji. I have no clue where "Rakjiel" may have come from. Names like Lukkage, Rackage, and my preferred Lacage are attempts to intuit what kind of foreign name the Japanese writers were thinking of. Of course, Rackage makes sense because it's just about what Rakeji sounds like when spoken, and because of her bust size...lol. Great voicing by Tsunematsu Ayumi, who hasn't had many big anime roles (Marina Ismail in Gundam00, for one, and lots of minor roles) but has done a lot of film and TV dubbing.

I thought that what the pirates did worked well, despite a couple of silly cartoon faces. The kites, the boarding mecha, the jet-powered boat. Pretty good tactics. And the very minor fanservice was more good thing than bad, for me. The slaves believed in their mistress, a bit like Morgiana in the first few eps of Magi. This is not a relentlessly serious show, but so far has kept itself a bit light. Hopefully not to better prepare us to be shocked by tragedy.
MINASE Inori 水瀬いのり age 18. 2010 Occult Academy (Akari). 2011 Uta no Prince-sama 1000% (students). 2012 Nukko (Sumire), Symphogear (minor roles). 2013 Love Lab (Suzu), Super Seisyun Brothers (Kohara Shiyo). 2014 Robot Girls Z (Gre-chan), Nobunaga The Fool (Chibihane, Toku), Black Bullet (Mibu), Is the order a rabbit? (Chino), Sugar Soldier (Kisaragi Makoto), Gargantia OVA (Rima), Locodol (Mirai), Aldnoah.Zero (Eddelrittuo), Sora no Method (Noel).
Hashihime blog | Twitter @nakanokimi | summer 2014 previews | summer 2014 schedule |
characters/seiyuus: | Mahouka Koukou | Glasslip | Tokyo Ghoul | Sailor Moon Crystal | Locodol | Ao Haru Ride | Hanayamata | Aldnoah.Zero | Nozaki-kun | Magimoji Rurumo | Zankyou no Terror | Tokyo ESP | Rokujouma no Shinryakusha | Love Stage!! | Jinsei | Rail Wars | Blade Dance | Himegoto

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2013-04-21 at 14:01.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 13:55   Link #902
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

By the way, have we met the two other girls-besides Amy-flying gliders in Ledo's wake, that presumably make up his harem?
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 13:58   Link #903
Jerseykid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykid View Post
Awesome, now we get to see him deal with what will surely be the perceived brutality of his help
I was vindicated!
Jerseykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 13:59   Link #904
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
I guess it's an attempt at deescalation and indirectly telling the pirates to return to the status quo. Using Ledo to kill even more enemies would have galvanized the rest of the pirate community, who would no longer care about the unspoken statement that "no pirates shall be killed, but we reserve for ourselves the right to defend our ships" - with possibly tragic results.

So, basically, letting Ledo out on a rampage would have been a major declaration of war on the pirate community - and Ledo was NOT their ally back then, merely someone who was trying to work out a temporary agreement with Galgantia. It's not logic that motivates their actions, it's long-term politics.

They're trying to lower their profile, not paint a giant bull's-eye on their hulls. They can't afford to further antagonize a belligerent party that very badly outguns them.
Actually Gargantia's actions don't make all that much sense. The fleet commander believes the pirates are out for revenge, so negotiations would be meaningless. In other words, the fleet commander does not believe that de-escalation is possible in this situation. A battle must be fought.

It's therefore weird that the fleet waits for the pirates to approach them at night instead of (a) sending Ledo out ahead as a skirmishing force to disable the pirate ships before they come in range of Gargantia (which he later attempts to do) and/or (b) turning the fleet towards/away from the pirates in order to face them during the day. It's clear that Gargantia recognizes that it can use Ledo in a more discriminating manner (outfitting him with lights) so the choice not to deploy him earlier is a bit baffling. By the way, the pirates also make an odd choice by approaching the fleet head-on, which allows only their forward guns to fire. See Crossing the T.

Finally, somewhat strange that Ledo simply forgets about Lukkage after tossing her. You think capturing the pirate leader would be something you might want to consider or ask Fleet Command about. Also, apparently Chamber can see surface ships miles away but misses large metallic submersibles until they are right underneath him

I think this show is turning into one of those "just sit back, enjoy the spectacle, and don't think too deeply about what you are seeing"--and it is pretty enjoyable.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 13:59   Link #905
Haak
Forever Alone...

This is really turning out to be one hell of a show.

It was nice that all the good guys were pretty reasonable about Ledo's use of overwhelming force and Ledo was able to learn that things aren't as black and white on earth that had more thought behind it than just "killing is wrong!".
Old 2013-04-21, 13:59   Link #906
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Ledo could have rule the world if he wanted to...
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:01   Link #907
Bern-san

A bit of a boring episode compared to the previous 2 but not bad, didn't like much the villains and the only challenge for Ledo and Chamber is being careful of not killing anyone.

I did like how the episode ended with Ledo saying thank you. I loved his voice and accent when saying it.
Old 2013-04-21, 14:01   Link #908
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
Rackage
That. Definitely that.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:04   Link #909
Mangaka-chan
Lab Monkey

I laughed when Chamber zapped Pinion in the butt after the latter fell into the cockpit. Guess this means we won't have any Gundam-jacking going on.

I'm also surprised that the two slave girls seemed pretty gun-ho about helping out their mistress in the fire fight. Guess Lukkage either treats them decently enough as far as slaves go, and/or they have a really bad case of Stockholm syndrome.

When Chamber explained to Ledo that "thank you" is a phrase to express your gratitude to someone, it made me wonder if Ledo's civilization no longer has a word that's equivalent to "thanks" and so Chamber couldn't give a direct translation. I feel like ways of saying "hello" and "thank you" are two of the most universal words we have in all languages, so it amazes me that they've lost that expression in space.
Mangaka-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:13   Link #910
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangaka-chan View Post
I laughed when Chamber zapped Pinion in the butt after the latter fell into the cockpit. Guess this means we won't have any Gundam-jacking going on.

I'm also surprised that the two slave girls seemed pretty gun-ho about helping out their mistress in the fire fight. Guess Lukkage either treats them decently enough as far as slaves go, and/or they have a really bad case of Stockholm syndrome.

When Chamber explained to Ledo that "thank you" is a phrase to express your gratitude to someone, it made me wonder if Ledo's civilization no longer has a word that's equivalent to "thanks" and so Chamber couldn't give a direct translation. I feel like ways of saying "hello" and "thank you" are two of the most universal words we have in all languages, so it amazes me that they've lost that expression in space.
I strongly suspect it's exactly as you say, and that people in Ledo's civilization are brought up strongly on duty, in a very rigid and stratified society. I think it's further evidence that Ledo is going to eventually suffer his own "stockholm syndrome" of a sorts, when/if his people finally show up, as his interactions with the people of Gargantia are almost certainly going to change him to a point where he'll have trouble re-integrating with his own people.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:14   Link #911
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
I guess it's an attempt at deescalation and indirectly telling the pirates to return to the status quo. Using Ledo to kill even more enemies would have galvanized the rest of the pirate community, who would no longer care about the unspoken statement that "no pirates shall be killed, but we reserve for ourselves the right to defend our ships" - with possibly tragic results.

So, basically, letting Ledo out on a rampage would have been a major declaration of war on the pirate community - and Ledo was NOT their ally back then, merely someone who was trying to work out a temporary agreement with Galgantia. It's not logic that motivates their actions, it's long-term politics.

They're trying to lower their profile, not paint a giant bull's-eye on their hulls. They can't afford to further antagonize a belligerent party that very badly outguns them.
Which is an odd reversal to real life. Pirates shouldn't act too mercilessly or they are fish food.

Killing victims only makes them resist more. What is more navies and military would be hunting them down.

My guess in the mentality of not wiping out all the pirates despite being Enemies of All Mankind which is appropriate to be called such in this setting is that Humans experienced a near extinction event. Needless killing will only bring humans closer to the endangered species list.

We don't know exactly if there are conflicts between man in space just that some groups are not part of the Galactic Alliance. The primary enemy of the Alliance are the Hideauze aliens.

Well if there are such a thing as Space Pirates the Alliance would probably just kill them off as they are a threat to everybody in space.

Two different philosophizes when it comes to survival basically.

We have to also note being brought up as a soldier with limited rights, Human Rights probably aren't pounded to Ledo during sleep. Better they are tools willfully sacrificing their lives for everybody than soldiers with a grudge against society I guess?

Last edited by ReddyRedWolf; 2013-04-21 at 14:29.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:17   Link #912
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Meh, this episode wasn't as good as episode 2, but still entertaining to watch seeing Chamber and Ledo brush/slap/toss aside the renowned Pirate Queen like it was nothing. We'll definitely see her again probably back as Ledo's harem as she looks like type who love powerful men/boys.

Quote:
Good point. It's either what you said or the, Ledo is a clone or artificial humans create to fight the aliens in the war which would probably explain the lack of social skills.
Old 2013-04-21, 14:23   Link #913
ginger02

Quote:

Pinion is going to be our go to fool I feel lol.

And I'm not sure they don't have those words. He understands what giving gratitude means. I question how often he would use words like "Thank You" though where he's from. I think he said thanks to Amy to try to speak to her directly. I think he's beginning to form a bond with the fleet.

Anyway, nice episode. In such a serious show, it was hard for me to take the mecha lobster seriously

The music when Lukkage was gliding towards the fleet was great.

After so much speculation over how the fleet would react last week, it ended rather calmly. I like that though, no unnecessary angst. It's kind of cliche to have it drag on for the episode imo. Glad Amy didn't really yell at him or anything.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:33   Link #914
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
Ledo could have rule the world if he wanted to...
Means nothing if your Machine Caliber is not equipped with Energizer batteries and is, apparently, slowly running out of juice. He'd just be like one of these many politicians who conquered Rome, proclaimed themselves Emperors then were murdered/deposed a couple days/weeks later because the source of their power betrayed them/let them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Actually Gargantia's actions don't make all that much sense. The fleet commander believes the pirates are out for revenge, so negotiations would be meaningless. In other words, the fleet commander does not believe that de-escalation is possible in this situation. A battle must be fought.
Deterrence and maintenance of the traditional status quo were no longer a viable option. He was more concerned about future escalation, since Galgantia made itself an enemy of the entire region of pirates. It's possible he was willing to have a naval engagement with a few broken bones inflicted on both sides, if it meant everyone would back off and return to the old ways.
Quote:
It's therefore weird that the fleet waits for the pirates to approach them at night instead of (a) sending Ledo out ahead as a skirmishing force to disable the pirate ships before they come in range of Gargantia (which he later attempts to do) and/or (b) turning the fleet towards/away from the pirates in order to face them during the day.
Quote:
It's clear that Gargantia recognizes that it can use Ledo in a more discriminating manner (outfitting him with lights) so the choice not to deploy him earlier is a bit baffling.
The bigwigs couldn't ask Ledo for help since he's the cause of the damn problem, he's still an intruder and his machine can destroy the entire Galgantia fleet if that's his whim. They're uneasy about him and fear that he might make things even worse, such as compelling the ENTIRE pirate community to turn against them or even scare other fleets off (thus preventing trade and other relations between seafaring communities).

Also, as I said, they're planning for the future. If a truce can't be bartered with the damn trigger-happy, tradition-oblivious jarhead that's currently camping on a crane outside, they'd be extremely hard-pressed to repel an even greater pirate armada hell-bent on reminding the world who's boss and who, on the other side, should let them do as they please.

As for daytime engagements, that depends - it seems to me that fighting while the sun's still out make it easier for the pirates to use their kites for aerial bombardments, as they can tell where the darn target is (and, yes, I know it's still possible to locate a ship in the dark by locating the phosphorescent wake it creates - courtesy of the plankton that glows in response to the sudden change in pressure) without too many accidents and possible instances of friendly fire. Using the darkness as a cloak, they could also make the enemy gunners' job MUCH more complicated, since they might not have good night vision systems.
Quote:
By the way, the pirates also make an odd choice by approaching the fleet head-on, which allows only their forward guns to fire. See Crossing the T.
Element of surprise is probably the main factor behind their decision - since they were also navigating with their lights out, they were confident the Galgantia gunners couldn't get a fix on their location and enter a fire solution into their guns (crossing the T only works if you know where to shoot - the pirates went dark to prevent that). They just didn't expect Ledo to reconnoiter the area with his spotlights, destroy the element of surprise and make the pirates lose the initiative.

Additionally, the battle showed that the Galgantia's ships were not very successful at piercing the enemy hulls - denting them, yes, but not penetrating them. So, the pirates had better protection and even better firepower - that was probably an acceptable tradeoff for Lukkage.
Quote:
I think this show is turning into one of those "just sit back, enjoy the spectacle, and don't think too deeply about what you are seeing"--and it is pretty enjoyable.
Isn't that what most animes aim for nowadays?

-- Permanently retired from the raw-hunting business --
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:36   Link #915
jzmagic
flargansbog

Lame "you can't kill the enemy rules", jeez. It's pathetic how the fleet is refusing to kill pirates when they're being attacked and losing their own lives.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:36   Link #916
ginger02

Quote:

Isn't that what most animes aim for nowadays?
I'd say that's something that's always been there, not just nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmagic View Post
Lame "you can't kill the enemy rules", jeez. It's pathetic how the fleet is refusing to kill pirates when they're being attacked and losing their own lives.
Them peeps got morals yo. Also if they killed lots then it'd probably just result in more pirates coming to attack them, and I think they already don't have the power to take on a few. WE saw what Ledo's actions did. Had he suddenly left after that, the fleet would hardly stand a chance.

I'm also not sure it's a total don't kill the enemy rule, just avoid it unless absolutely no-other-way-around-it necessary.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:40   Link #917
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
By firing broadsides at the pirate fleet, the Galgantia was already setting that rule aside.

What they truly fear and were trying to avoid previously is a conflagration - i.e. causing every pirate to mark the fleet as a prime target to be taken down ASAP so that it may serve as an example to the rest of the world.

Old 2013-04-21, 14:46   Link #918
jzmagic
flargansbog

Quote:
By firing broadsides at the pirate fleet, the Galgantia was already setting that rule aside.

What they truly fear and were trying to avoid previously is a conflagration - i.e. causing every pirate to mark the fleet as a prime target to be taken down ASAP so that it may serve as an example to the rest of the world.
Well we don't know if the Galgantia was actually aiming at the pirates or just trying to disable their weapons, we certainly don't see any pirates dying so I'll have to assume the latter.

Didn't they say that pretty much the whole pirate fleet was chasing them down? They have an I-WIN button that could wipe them out with no casualties and and end the conflict with the pirates.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 14:53   Link #919
Renegade334
Exitus Acta Probat
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Well we don't know if the Galgantia was actually aiming at the pirates or just trying to disable their weapons, we certainly don't see any pirates dying so I'll have to assume the latter.
Unless Galgantia's defense fleet actually has radar-controlled fire control systems and trajectory computers, I don't think they can achieve that level of precision.
Quote:
They have an I-WIN button that could wipe them out with no casualties and and end the conflict with the pirates.
They didn't have an "I win" button. They had an intruder camping outside, his mind completely foreign to their ways. He could make things (which were already bad thanks to him) worse, both in the short and the long term, if he were allowed to run amok.

As far as they were concerned, he was not an ally, he was a loose cannon they were not sure they could control. They had no reason to trust him. I mean, it's like asking Sousuke Sagara or the Punisher to maintain order in your street...except that this time the outcome won't be hilarious or badass at all - it could very well be tragic and out of control.

Old 2013-04-21, 14:55   Link #920
Midonin
Last Engage

Gargantia 03 - Black Water

I thought it was good that Amy and Bellows talked some sense into him. Killing everybody should not be the first solution to anything, especially with fellow humans. The pirates may be a little rougher around the edges than the Gargantians, but they still have friends and family, no doubt. If I were to go into the whole "nature vs nurture thing", I think Amy and her friends are going to break through his old lifestyle and reach the human goodness that's hidden underneath all of the everything he went through. The pirates themselves kind of remind me of the villains in Gurren Lagann - a little flashy and deviant, but kind of likable. I can't fully hate someone who has an awesome hoverboating lobster mecha like that. (ダイカイオー、天下一品!) I'd like to see Ledo spend some time on the ship, maybe wearing some Gargantian clothes now that the arc of the first three episodes has been mostly dealt with. Seeing what daily life is like for someone, walking a mile in their shoes, that's a great way to open up your mind.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, military, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi