AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-01-30, 20:21   Link #21
TaoMaster

allright then I have a question. Why do the encoders use this particular resolution when encoding a file. Why not size it for TV originally? It would certainly cut down on all this reencoding...
TaoMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 21:28   Link #22
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Maybe because they didn't INTEND for their encode to be viewed on a TV in the first place? Maybe because they didn't feel like wasting bits on compressing pointless black borders or an upscaled picture? Maybe because they actually know what they are doing?

Really, there are lots of reasons. Don't assume that what YOU want is what everyone else wants, or even what everyone else thinks is sane.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 22:40   Link #23
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

That wasn't nice, but it WAS helpful.

I repeat (in a slightly nicer way): lower the overscan on your TV. We're not adjusting anything for you.
Old 2006-01-30, 22:53   Link #24
frad113

Send a message via AIM to frad113
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaistlinMajere
...lower the overscan on your TV.
You can actually do that?
frad113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 23:03   Link #25
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
You can do alot more if you use a PC with TV out.

Makes viewing on my TV quite easy and pleasurable.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-30, 23:33   Link #26
frad113

Actually, I wasn't talking about TV out.
Old 2006-01-30, 23:57   Link #27
Nicholi
King of Hosers

The poor hoser in question is not using TV-Out though, note the problem.

In order for you to preserve as much quality as possible in your endeavors you are going to need to learn more about the tools you are using, as well as basic video compression. I suggest you start at Doom9. I don't think anyone around here plans to give you the hands on teaching you need because it is a lot of work. More likely some smartass will jump in and tell you exactly what to do the wrong way , and the cycle of newbosity will complete yet another loop.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 00:22   Link #28
RaistlinMajere
Now in MHD!
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113
You can actually do that?
Yes, it's usually in the service menu. I have a Sony and the rather simple procedure is described here: http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/brand...menu_sony.html

I've set my TV to have very little overscan. It had an EXTREMELY high value when I got it.
Old 2006-01-31, 00:39   Link #29
frad113

Ah, the wonder of modern [HDTV] televisions.
Old 2006-01-31, 02:29   Link #30
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi
712x528 is not a proper res to encode anything at, which is why you have that line. Be sure after the borders that the width is at least mod16 (divisible by 16), that will make everything better. The height doesn't matter as much as long as it is mod2 the xvid/divx/lavc decoders will handle it fine, I don't know about a DivX Playback Device though. The ideal situation would be to make both of them mod32, guaranteed to have no funky lines then.
Actually, 711 pixels is the official D1 size (711x483 iirc), though I doubt this is the reason why it was chosen, not a whole lot of people know that.

Some codecs (like XviD) are quite happy with mod 4 resolutions, though strictly speaking, if your encode is interlaced (and encoded as interlaced) the height should be mod 32, if progressive then mod 16. The width should be mod 16 in both instances. As an absolute minimum, I would stick to mod 8, but mod 16 where possible. As I know you know, it's mod 16 to keep the macroblocks happy, and minimum mod 8 to keep DCT happy. Your video won't look it's best if you upset these guys.

Almost every fansub ever encoded is going to be progressive, or coded as progressive even if they forgot to reconstruct the interlaced frames, so you really ought to go for mod 16
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-01-31, 20:19   Link #31
TaoMaster

Thanks for biting my head off Fluff. My purpose for writing in here is to try and enjoy anime. For this particular encoded series, its too big to fit on a normal DVD burn (only two 23min eps per disc!!!) and clearly is not sized correctly to watch it as a divx file. So i have dilema.

Zero: so I should change the borders to be divisible by 16, (such as 16,32,16,32)?
Old 2006-01-31, 22:52   Link #32
frad113

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaster
For this particular encoded series, its too big to fit on a normal DVD burn (only two 23min eps per disc!!!)
You're doing something wrong because oyu should be able to fit at least 3 times as much on a regular DVD.
Old 2006-01-31, 23:19   Link #33
Komataguri
Reverend K-Rist

Send a message via AIM to Komataguri
Quote:
Originally Posted by frad113
Actually, I wasn't talking about TV out.

I know, which is why I said you COULD do alot more.
Komataguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 07:17   Link #34
TheFluff

Quote:
Thanks for biting my head off Fluff.
No charge.
Quote:
My purpose for writing in here is to try and enjoy anime. For this particular encoded series, its too big to fit on a normal DVD burn (only two 23min eps per disc!!!) and clearly is not sized correctly to watch it as a divx file. So i have dilema.
What do you mean, "too big to fit on a normal DVD burn"? NOONE encodes anime at 2.5 GB per ep, unless they are encoding to lossless or to a real HDTV transport stream...

Quote:
Zero: so I should change the borders to be divisible by 16, (such as 16,32,16,32)?
Yes, you probably should.

Basically, you have a few alternatives here...
1. Get a better TV set that lets you adjust the overscan, or find out if your current one can do that (see one of RaistlinMajere's posts above)
2. Reencode with black borders - and LEARN HOW TO CONFIGURE DIVX PROPERLY so you only end up with slightly crappy quality instead of completely and utterly butchered quality
3. Give up on the DivX idea and reencode to DVD, as per GHDpro's guide in the sticky thread
4. Stop being so fixated about TV sets and watch the stuff as it was intended, on a computer screen.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
Old 2006-02-01, 12:41   Link #35
TaoMaster

I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator to try and make the dvds. When I drag the files over to make a DVD it only fits 2 eps per disc. If i try and put a 3rd on it, it is over by like 250mb. Hence they are too big for some stupid reason, the stupid reason could be me, but i have burned DVDs before and never had a problem like this...
Old 2006-02-01, 13:27   Link #36
Swann

I use, or rather used before I got a projector, TMPGEnc software for encoding and burning anime to DVD. Firstly it will resize the image and secondly it allows for higher quality, lower file size encoding mode which is compatible with most all DVD players (I forgot the details, as I said, its been awhile).

It will require overnight encoding but you can set a batch (drag all the episodes into a list) so one night should do it. I am sure there are other options out there but I had tried at least half a dozen duds before hitting this gem. The right software makes all the difference between it being easy and impossible.
Swann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 14:08   Link #37
TheFluff

Quote:
I am using Roxio Easy Media Creator to try and make the dvds. When I drag the files over to make a DVD it only fits 2 eps per disc. If i try and put a 3rd on it, it is over by like 250mb. Hence they are too big for some stupid reason, the stupid reason could be me, but i have burned DVDs before and never had a problem like this...
Then you're not burning as data DVD, you're burning as video DVD and Roxio tries to convert for you. Two eps on one DVD means you're having an insanely high bitrate. If you're going to reencode to MPEG2 (video-DVD) at all, you're probably better off with GHDpro's stickied guide.

Last edited by TheFluff; 2006-02-01 at 14:29.
Old 2006-02-01, 14:27   Link #38
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
1) Sounds like that app wants to convert them to a retarded bitrate then. 2 eps per DVD
probably even exceeds the allowable bitrate for DVDs!

2) There is a rather LARGE chance that app won't take overscan into account either.
Meaning: you'll end up with one nice DVD that has the exact same subtitle problem!

I think TheFluff summed your options up pretty neatly. And as he also mentioned,
fansub groups make sure you can play the files on your PC. If you don't want to
"play along", then they're not going to help you -- you're own your own!

EDIT:
Darn. I need to learn to use refresh when replying to topics that have been open in my browser for ages
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-01, 15:34   Link #39
TaoMaster

I used to use TMPGEnc for my old avi's but it still was not as good and there was a noticeable drop in quality. I guess I am out of options and will have to settle for less. Oh well, thanks for all the replies and posts. I appreciate it