AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-24, 05:42   Link #27881
ganbaru
books-eater youkai
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Betweem wisdom and insanity
Insight: What ever happened to France's voice in Europe?
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93N0AA20130424

Boston bomb suspect's name was on classified government watch lists
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93N06720130424
__________________

ganbaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 05:50   Link #27882
Badkarma 1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
LAPD=Shoot first, ask questions later!
Badkarma 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 06:35   Link #27883
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Boston bomb suspect's name was on classified government watch lists
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...93N06720130424
Assuming it was true from the new statements that the 2 brothers did NOT get help from known terrorist groups, being put on a watch list probably didn't trigger any alarm bells for the duration. They made their bombs using publicly available info, so no massive purchase of fertiliser and such that could generate investigation.

They were low key, they didn't contact any terrorists themselves, and in the end they didn't plan the attack very well either. No escape plan or spare cash to go underground. Their lack of preparation means they were easily caught, but it also means there was less grounds to stop them ahead of time.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 06:54   Link #27884
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Belarus's university in exile

Quote:
She tells me that she once presented a teacher in Minsk with her own translation of one of Shakespeare's sonnets. The teacher was not impressed and gave her a low mark for failing to complete the correct assignment - a biography of the playwright.

"I was punished for my creativity but here if you try something new, you are always appreciated. That's why I can tell I cherish, cherish every single lecture and course that I attend at this university because it's so, so different."

She adds: "You can speak, you can just express yourself and this is precious and you are never given this opportunity in Belarus, never."
Whoa. What old hardass jerks.
The government would rather train the next generation as mindless drones rather than encourage creative thinkers.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:12   Link #27885
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Why can't she do the homework before doing the translated sonnet? Creativity doesn't excuse you for failing to do the task assigned. She isn't a school girl, she should know the assigned work needed doing first before doing things for fun.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 07:14   Link #27886
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
At least 80 dead, 700 injured in Bangladesh building collapse


.

Quote:
An eight-storey block housing factories and a shopping centre has collapsed on the outskirts of the Bangladeshi capital, killing more than 80 people and injuring hundreds.

Only the ground floor of the Rana Plaza in the town of Savar outside Dhaka remained intact when the block imploded about 9am (local time).

Armed with concrete cutters and cranes, hundreds of fire service and army rescue workers struggled to find survivors in the mountain of concrete and mangled steel which resembled the aftermath of an earthquake.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-04-2...ladesh/4649772
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:13   Link #27887
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Whoa. What old hardass jerks.
The government would rather train the next generation as mindless drones rather than encourage creative thinkers.
Creative thinkers are always a threat to the current social establishment. They disrupt the law, and damage the current process of progress. [/sarcasm]

Non-taxable creativity has always been a crime.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 08:33   Link #27888
kenshinanime
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Beijing (CNN) -- Clashes in the unsettled western Chinese region of Xinjiang killed 21 people, including police officers and local officials, authorities said Wednesday.
The attacks took place Tuesday afternoon after three local officials visiting homes in the area found "several suspicious persons" and knives in one house, the Xinjiang government said in a statement.
When the officials alerted their superiors of the situation, the people in the house took them hostage, the statement said. Police rushed to the scene, and in the ensuing violence, six of the assailants and 15 other people were killed, it said. Two other people were injured.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/24/wo...tml?hpt=ias_c2

Quote:
Tripoli, Libya (CNN) -- A car bomb exploded just outside the French Embassy in Tripoli early Tuesday morning, injuring two French security guards and a Libyan girl, officials said.
The blast was so powerful it blew the front wall off the embassy. Homes can cars adjacent to the embassy sustained heavy damage, and the windows of nearby buildings in this upscale, largely residential neighborhood were also blown out.
During a visit to the area, Deputy Prime Minister Awad Barasi said a 13-year-old girl in a nearby house was injured in the attack and will be taken to Tunisia for treatment.
Barasi, who condemned the attack, said he had spoken with the French ambassador to Libya, who assured him he will not leave Tripoli.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/23/world/africa/libya-french-embassy-attack/index.html?hpt=iaf_c1

Last edited by Hunter; 2013-04-24 at 10:58.
kenshinanime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:09   Link #27889
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Creative thinkers are always a threat to the current social establishment. They disrupt the law, and damage the current process of progress. [/sarcasm]

Non-taxable creativity has always been a crime.
I would have been more impressed with the girl if she managed to be creative within the boundaries of her given task.
Creativity is at their most impressive when they exist under difficult conditions. In her case, she simply wanted to do something else. That isn't creativity at all.

Is it creative to make a statue when you are told to draw a painting? No, that's not creativity. That's just you ignoring what your task was.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:13   Link #27890
SaintessHeart
Ehh? EEEEHHHHHH?
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I would have been more impressed with the girl if she managed to be creative within the boundaries of her given task.
Creativity is at their most impressive when they exist under difficult conditions. In her case, she simply wanted to do something else. That isn't creativity at all.

Is it creative to make a statue when you are told to draw a painting? No, that's not creativity. That's just you ignoring what your task was.
That is true too. Creativity under difficult conditions is impressive, though creativity without boundaries is novel. So novelty or impression? We don't know.
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:28   Link #27891
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I don't see what's so creative about translating a 14 verses poem.

If it turns out she copy-pasted Google translate, I'll be even more unimpressed.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 09:38   Link #27892
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Within my mind
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That is true too. Creativity under difficult conditions is impressive, though creativity without boundaries is novel. So novelty or impression? We don't know.
As an example, I would be impressed if she managed to write the biography as instructed, but also as a sonnet in Shakespeare's style. Preferably in Italian.
__________________
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 11:48   Link #27893
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hong Kong Shatterdome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Assuming it was true from the new statements that the 2 brothers did NOT get help from known terrorist groups, being put on a watch list probably didn't trigger any alarm bells for the duration. They made their bombs using publicly available info, so no massive purchase of fertiliser and such that could generate investigation.
It'd be impossible for being put on a terror watch list to put you under strict attention. The terror watch list includes half a million people.

Sorta makes you question how useful the terror watch list database is at its current size.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 12:09   Link #27894
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Classified
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Belarus's university in exile



Whoa. What old hardass jerks.
The government would rather train the next generation as mindless drones rather than encourage creative thinkers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Why can't she do the homework before doing the translated sonnet? Creativity doesn't excuse you for failing to do the task assigned. She isn't a school girl, she should know the assigned work needed doing first before doing things for fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Creative thinkers are always a threat to the current social establishment. They disrupt the law, and damage the current process of progress. [/sarcasm]

Non-taxable creativity has always been a crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I would have been more impressed with the girl if she managed to be creative within the boundaries of her given task.
Creativity is at their most impressive when they exist under difficult conditions. In her case, she simply wanted to do something else. That isn't creativity at all.

Is it creative to make a statue when you are told to draw a painting? No, that's not creativity. That's just you ignoring what your task was.
Ok, whoa. Did anyone not get the message of the article?
It wasn't about students being punished for being told what to do, it was the Belarus government preventing and putting young minds down who fear them of challenging the status quo of their Dictator's rule of the country.
The government is trying to brainwash their youth into believing their authoritarian rule is the best for the country and don't like the idea of other alternatives might be better for the country.

I think i should word these type of articles carefully next time.
__________________
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 12:13   Link #27895
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator
 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Unspecified
5 dead in Illinois shooting; suspect dies after shootout with police

another one cih

Quote:
The suspect police say shot and killed five people early Wednesday morning inside a Manchester, Ill., home reportedly died at an area hospital after he exchanged gunfire with arresting officers, police told FoxNews.com.
The relationship between the suspect and his victims remains unclear, but police say the shooting occurred shortly after a prior pursuit. There were initial reports of a high-speed chase, but those reports are erroneous, police said.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/24...#ixzz2ROyuGEws
__________________
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 14:05   Link #27896
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Ok, whoa. Did anyone not get the message of the article?
Why, are we supposed to accept it unconditionally?

Quote:
It wasn't about students being punished for being told what to do, it was the Belarus government preventing and putting young minds down who fear them of challenging the status quo of their Dictator's rule of the country.
The government is trying to brainwash their youth into believing their authoritarian rule is the best for the country and don't like the idea of other alternatives might be better for the country.
Even so, it was a terrible example. It's just a girl refusing to do her homework, doing something distantly related than can be crapped out in a few minutes, and calling it "creativity". And bitching because she wasn't given full marks, as if she would be anywhere else.

Quote:
I think i should word these type of articles carefully next time.
Did you write it?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 16:22   Link #27897
Kyuu
=^^=
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 42 10' N (Latitude) 87 33' W (Longitude)
Age: 35
OK, I scored 100%. How about you?

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/the-news-iq-quiz/
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 16:31   Link #27898
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
OK, I scored 100%. How about you?

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/the-news-iq-quiz/
I got a 100% (better than 92% of the respondents by the graph which is depressing). I'll complain a bit that too many of the questions required me to know what the person looked like - to me that's kind of "Inside Edition" irrelevant to their name, rank, and what they're doing.

Welcome to the idiocracy?
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 16:39   Link #27899
Haak
Forever Alone...
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
I got 11 out of 13 and I'm not even American. XP

I hope I'm not screwing with their research...
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 16:49   Link #27900
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
OK, I scored 100%. How about you?

http://www.pewresearch.org/quiz/the-news-iq-quiz/
12/13

for some odd reason i read the question to #4 as which is the symbol of Islam
__________________
Xellos-_^ is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.