AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-24, 17:09   Link #321
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Oh, I almost forgot about episode 6... There was some really nice direction in this episode, both visually and musically.

The plot thickens which is good, I like the added layer to the power struggles within the school, and also Mayura emerging as a leader who may have genuine affection for Izumiko but also follows her own interests. I wish we had seen more of Takayanagi since his defeat - he's supposed to be uber powerful, but the Souda triplets (okay, Masumi) kicked his ass so thoroughly I thought he wasn't such a big deal after all. (Perhaps he was just tricked by Masumi's true identity, though if he really is such a huge deal perhaps he should've noticed he was a spirit earlier...)

I still have no special feelings for Miyuki and Izumiko, but I hope getting more deeply involved in the plot will be good for them.

Damn, the Souda family house. I wholeheartedly agree with Izumiko, I'd love to live in such a house (and such a place!).

By the way, as for Miyuki's (Shinkou! XD that made me laugh) issues with Yukimasa, I think they're more along the lines of his (perceived or real) lack of power/competence.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 21:15   Link #322
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
It appeared as if a fight was about to break out at the end of episode 6. Seems like a kind of random change in hostility level... though to be honest I'd kind of like for a fight to occur. I'm also curious just how powerful goddess-mode Izumiko is, is she leagues above everyone else? That's kinda the impression I've been getting.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 21:24   Link #323
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lost in the Fairy Forest
Wow Izumiko drunk was just so cute
__________________
Master_Yoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-24, 22:18   Link #324
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It appeared as if a fight was about to break out at the end of episode 6. Seems like a kind of random change in hostility level... though to be honest I'd kind of like for a fight to occur. I'm also curious just how powerful goddess-mode Izumiko is, is she leagues above everyone else? That's kinda the impression I've been getting.
Well, it's been implied that she's strong enough to eliminate the human race if she fully manifests, so yeah.

In terms of a potential fight, I think we're seeing that Mayura is a cold, practical thinker. She's been following the "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" dictum with Miyuki and Izumiko, and since she didn't yet know which they were, she was covering all bases. I don't expect her to go outright villain, but I think one of the themes of the series is going to be that everyone is primarily concerned with their own interests, and the only ones the main pair can rely on are each other.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-25, 00:55   Link #325
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Middle of nowhere, center of everywhere...
The goddess also mentioned that Izumiko would likely be the final vessel during her first possession. The mentioning of her manifestation meaning the end of humanity could be reason for her to say that Izumiko is the potential final one, but who really knows.
__________________
Mirai from Kyoukai no Kanata
MogMoogle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 14:47   Link #326
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Spoiler for ep 5:


By the way, someone has already pointed this out, but what is "seinen" doing in the tag list?
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 19:25   Link #327
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

By the way, someone has already pointed this out, but what is "seinen" doing in the tag list?
I don't normally worry too much about genre labels, but I would have guessed RDG would be considered a seinen if you'd asked me. Having looked it up after your post, I see the manga adaptation is in Shounen Ace, which is (duh) technically a shounen monthly but is loaded with titles (Eva, Deadman Wonderland, Mirai Nikki) which probably should be called seinen titles.

I guess the final answer is - does it matter?
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 22:34   Link #328
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
I guess the final answer is - does it matter?
It does matter. There's always someone who cares about the target demographic and there's no reason to be misleading about it.

And btw, the manga adaptation may be shounen, but this anime is based on the novel, which is neither seinen or shounen since it's a real novel. So the anime is just anime. Heck, it probably tagets a female audience, all things considering.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-04-27 at 22:49.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 23:56   Link #329
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It does matter. There's always someone who cares about the target demographic and there's no reason to be misleading about it.

And btw, the manga adaptation may be shounen, but this anime is based on the novel, which is neither seinen or shounen since it's a real novel. So the anime is just anime. Heck, it probably tagets a female audience, all things considering.
I don't find it especially misleading, but to each his own. Novels don't have to be categorized neatly like manga and LNs, no, but that doesn't mean they don't have elements of certain genres thematically. If anything, the point is that too much weight is given to it with manga and LN, not that too little is given to novels. FWIW, I think RDG has plenty of seinen elements but that's not the issue.

And if people are that fixated on genre that they're swayed by third-hand descriptors on a discussion board...
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-27, 23:59   Link #330
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
I'm no expert on the Japanese demographic genre labels, but if I had to choose one based on my viewing experience, seinen seems about right for RDG... but, yeah, who cares really. That's for the marketers to decide, eh?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 00:35   Link #331
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
FWIW, I think RDG has plenty of seinen elements but that's not the issue.
But see, that way of thinking is misleading to begin with, because the target demographic is a label decided by the publisher and is not always reflected in the actual content of the book/manga. The RGD novel isn't published as neither seinen or shounen, therefore it's just plain inaccurate to tag this thread as such. That's all there is to it.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 03:41   Link #332
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
I was just curious what the tag is even doing there. Especially since if we're going by target demography category conventions and pretend they still mean anything, this show would be shoujo. As for the manga, well... this anime is not the adaptation of the manga. Has anyone even read it, anyway? For all we know it's like the Shinsekai yori manga "adaptation"...

Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I was just wondering.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 21:30   Link #333
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Saw episode 7. Kind of wanted Izumiko to go god mode when defending Miyuki and knock Mayura down a peg or two. She seems too full of herself. Kind of confused by the ending and what's in store for the male Souda siblings. Is Manatsu planning suicide, or just turning into a spirit somehow? Summoning his horse that just died was pretty badass, though, lol.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 01:28   Link #334
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
I'm still not quite sure what those siblings are, and why they're connected. :/

Spoiler for episode 7:

Oh, and too many names beginning with Ma- >.<
__________________
LuxorMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 14:48   Link #335
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
episode 7 kind of confusing with the rapidly escalating events. Wonder how its all going to conclude.

Miyuki was pretty pathetic in the confrontation. Just got knocked around the whole time.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 04:45   Link #336
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Miyuki did say he was only a beginner, what else could he do

I want Takayanagi or Wamiya to appear again, I like the triplets but if they focus too much on them won't they have little time to conclude the whole deal with Izumiko?
__________________
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 09:27   Link #337
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I was just curious what the tag is even doing there. Especially since if we're going by target demography category conventions and pretend they still mean anything, this show would be shoujo. As for the manga, well... this anime is not the adaptation of the manga. Has anyone even read it, anyway? For all we know it's like the Shinsekai yori manga "adaptation"...

Anyway, I'm not losing any sleep over it, I was just wondering.
Well I've seen raws of the manga (although there are not many chapters), so far the story follows the same line in the anime and the manga (I guess also the novel).

I do not think RDG would be shojo just because the girl is the protagonist (and shy) and the guy is good looking.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 11:34   Link #338
kuromitsu
我、勝てり!
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
I do not think RDG would be shojo just because the girl is the protagonist (and shy) and the guy is good looking.
The fact that you think those are the requirements of being "shoujo" tells me you're not really familiar with it...

Well, not that the usual target demographic categories mean a whole lot nowadays, especially with anime.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 13:00   Link #339
Konja7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
The fact that you think those are the requirements of being "shoujo" tells me you're not really familiar with it...

Well, not that the usual target demographic categories mean a whole lot nowadays, especially with anime.
I did not express myself well. In fact, I read several shojos and I do not think those are the requirements for a shojo, so I do not think RDG is a shojo.

Anyway, as you say, not that the usual target demographic categories mean a whole lot nowadays.
Konja7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 22:17   Link #340
Leo_Otaku
俺たちはリトルバスターズ!
 
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Canada/ Winterpeg
Age: 28
Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Is it just me, or is there a large disconnect between episodes? It feels like some of the plot is missing and overall episodes don't really connect very well. Is this just me? I feel like bits of story and character interaction are missing/omitted. Is this because of the web streamed episodes? Or is it because it is intentional? It feels odd reminds me of watching Touka Gettan XD
Leo_Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fantasy, p.a. works, school life, seinen, shoujo

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.