AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-04-29, 20:45   Link #21
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
Episode 5 will be bikini service

http://otanews.livedoor.biz/archives/51943436.html
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 21:14   Link #22
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
You never stay for the ED previews, do you?
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 21:26   Link #23
PzIVf3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Somewhere at Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
You never stay for the ED previews, do you?
i always never check Op and Ed.
PzIVf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 00:47   Link #24
Raviel
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
Haven't seen it from that perspective, I think you're on to something. Wouldn't make sense to give so many possibilities for the enemy to discover your ancient homeworld. Especially not if you secretly hoped to return there later. Or if Ledo was lied to, as you say, and the higher ups are actually well aware that Earth is habitable again.
Now assuming the Alliance top brass do know that Earth is habitable (or at least hope that it is), I wonder if they ever considered the possibility of anyone surviving the ice age? With what we've been shown so far though, it looks like people left Earth and never thought about what would happen to anyone left behind.
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 08:26   Link #25
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
^^ The leaders behind the Earth exodus would have been very short-sighted to not expect some survival after the disaster. Earth has had 5 mass extinctions in its history. But once life established a foothold on Earth some 3.5 billions years ago, it's never truly gone extinct. I'm not ready to guess on what life the leaders expected to survive the disaster. But for them to assume no life would survive seems like the stupidest choice to make.
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 09:18   Link #26
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Logically it should have been something way worse than a simple Ice Age.

At the very least they must have been convinced that the glaciation was irreversible. After all Ledo expected Earth to be still covered in ice.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 10:43   Link #27
LKK
Moderator
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Age: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
After all Ledo expected Earth to be still covered in ice.
Do you believe what Ledo has been told?
__________________

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
My manga list | My anime DVD list
LKK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 10:50   Link #28
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Logically it should have been something way worse than a simple Ice Age.

At the very least they must have been convinced that the glaciation was irreversible. After all Ledo expected Earth to be still covered in ice.
To bring back my theory the Spacers probably did not expect the Hideauze to leave Sol alone thus reheating the Earth in the process.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 11:11   Link #29
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Do you believe what Ledo has been told?
If he's being lied to then there are even more reasons to think there isn't a simple Ice Age involved.

At any rate the fact that the planet froze was confirmed by the Gargantians themselves and the fact that it is water planet now isn't something that should have logically happened at the end of an Ice Age.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 18:37   Link #30
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
That's one of those things that we are just going to have to suspend disbelief on. If you melt the arctic and antarctic ice sheets completely, you'd get an about 68 meters higher water level - obviously not nearly enough to cover all land masses. It wouldn't even be enough to reach the valleys of most mountain regions. Even if all groundwater would spontaneously rise to the surface for unexplained gravity-defying reasons, that would add another 20 meters or so. And any comets carrying enough water (let's forget that it's mostly deuterium and not protium for the moment - the "water comes from comets" theory is mostly discredited these days) to cover the surface would probably completely devastate the earth.
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 18:58   Link #31
ReddyRedWolf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Thing is these fleets never leave the Sea Galaxy comfort zones. As they provide power.
ReddyRedWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 19:55   Link #32
Endless Knackwurst
Clumsy Valkyrie Pilot
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
If there's no dry land, there's no dry land, let it be handwaved rather than nitpicked.

It's potentially more interesting if there is dry land and the fleet has to learn to break its reliance/blind trust on the Sea Galaxy in order to get there/make use of it. Could be a job for Ledo and Chamber...
__________________
Endless Knackwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 20:15   Link #33
Jimmy C
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
In their current condition, there's only one way for them to find dry land. Send Ledo and Chamber up to map the whole planet. And we don't know if Chamber has enough power to make orbit on his own.
Jimmy C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 20:28   Link #34
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
That's one of those things that we are just going to have to suspend disbelief on. If you melt the arctic and antarctic ice sheets completely, you'd get an about 68 meters higher water level - obviously not nearly enough to cover all land masses. It wouldn't even be enough to reach the valleys of most mountain regions. Even if all groundwater would spontaneously rise to the surface for unexplained gravity-defying reasons, that would add another 20 meters or so. And any comets carrying enough water (let's forget that it's mostly deuterium and not protium for the moment - the "water comes from comets" theory is mostly discredited these days) to cover the surface would probably completely devastate the earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Thing is these fleets never leave the Sea Galaxy comfort zones. As they provide power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
If there's no dry land, there's no dry land, let it be handwaved rather than nitpicked.

It's potentially more interesting if there is dry land and the fleet has to learn to break its reliance/blind trust on the Sea Galaxy in order to get there/make use of it. Could be a job for Ledo and Chamber...
First, I'm glad someone finally brought up the issue that if you melted the ice caps you'd still have land! It was a major goof up in Waterworld as well (a bigger one, in a way, seeing that movie had nothing like potential alien invasions/space catastrophes that might be used as a way to explain it ). I'm also not to sure the weather would work the way they're showing it if there wasn't any land left but I could be over thinking it here . Anyway, I think ReddyRedWolf has hit on something I also have been thinking about, which is they are stuck following the Sea Galaxy because it provides a steady power source. They need to get away from it to check things out and it could be that they have tried to do that. That could be the explanation of where Amy's parents & Ridgets father have disappeared to. Toss in that the thing that Chamber needs to really do is to get out of the atmosphere and check his star positions if he really want to figure out where he's at, and this show either has some interesting place it's going or some of us are out thinking the writers. Either way, I'm not going to stop watching because I've learned that sometimes things like this are clues to a plot and not just writing issues (Waterworld was still a mess, but that's neither here nor there ).
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 20:49   Link #35
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
The conclusion that our planet doesn't have enough water to submerge all the land is based on the assumption that every landmass will remain at the current altitude.

A water planet is still possible if for some reasons all the landmasses sink below the water level. We don't actually know how many years in the future we are or what kind of catastrophe happened, so this isn't completely impossible. Albeit it is very unlikely and I doubt this anime will actually provide such justification.


What I was actually trying to say is that when an ice age ends the temperature should simply return to normal levels. Here however it seems that it became even higher, and that means that another event must have occurred to cause all that, an event that most likely the old Earthlings didn't predict and couldn't predict when they left.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 21:16   Link #36
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
The landmasses above/below water level are located on tectonic plates. While these plates essentially float on magma, it's not like they can really sink - probably not even if they get broken apart violently by some cataclysmic event, as the magma will just cool off and form new plates. But in the end, I doubt we'll get a scientific explanation - this anime is about human relationships after all

And since it was mentioned, I actually like Waterworld, improbable as it is. Water planets are cool
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 21:41   Link #37
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbringer View Post
The landmasses above/below water level are located on tectonic plates. While these plates essentially float on magma, it's not like they can really sink
Oh no, they can.
As you said they are all floating on magma. While we have no knowledge of entire continents sinking or emerging, there are several cases of relatively minor landmasses emerging and sinking above and below the sea level.

EDIT: check also Zealandia
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-30, 21:41   Link #38
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I also liked Water World, of course I was a kid when I last saw it and never thought about how scientifically accurate it was.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 00:08   Link #39
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Of course landmasses' can sink. What strikes me has highly unlikely, barring something cataclysmic which I've not ruled out, is "all" off them sinking. That would be akin to the entire planet shrinking big time. I'd think that phenomenon would heralded a lot of other issues in and of itself. Still, I'm not saying the writers can't cook up some half decent theory for what's happening. One theory I'd toss out is something like the planet being hit by a asteroid and having the planet tilt off axis comes to mind, since that could also explain some issues with the temperature (well if it's a issue but really, the ice caps should have reformed after that last ice age, land or no land above water) in general.

As for Waterworld, I saw it at a theater first-run. The theatrical version is not the extended cut many watched on TV growing up, which IMO is quite a bit better, but a shorter, harder to follow film. Still, my memories of the film are mixed. I didn't think it was a good film, though it did have a great look and it might have worked with better editing. Also, it was one of the last, if not the last, film I went to see in a theater with my mother (she was a fan of Kevin Costner) before she passed away. The best memory of the film I have is her turning to me during the scene where they were rowing the supertanker and asking me, in all seriousness, if the film was a comedy and then the two of us getting into a case of the giggles after I re-assured her that no, it was suppose to be a serious SF film (the scene had me thinking Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" so I knew exactly where she was coming from! )
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 19:02   Link #40
lightbringer
M9000
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: SBC Gurokken
I stand corrected, they really can sink. Even if the area in question is quite small. Thanks for that link! But I wonder what happened to the material it displaced... must've gone up somewhere else then?
lightbringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.