AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-04-21, 02:15   Link #21
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

For the thousandth time - it's not from Japan, it's not an anime. Although technically speaking any kind of animation is "anime".
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 03:01   Link #22
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninryu View Post
For the thousandth time - it's not from Japan, it's not an anime. Although technically speaking any kind of animation is "anime".
In my mind, I do accept that... What about PSG?
Old 2013-04-21, 03:47   Link #23
RJ TAYLER

Exclusivity does not smack of a co-productivity, we don't expect this level of xenophobia levelled at live action film and television, we should not at animation.
Old 2013-04-21, 04:11   Link #24
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Its much easier to tell apart if I split 'em with words. I'd probably say: "Spongebob?" if someone said cartoons and "Avatar" for animation.
Old 2013-04-21, 06:10   Link #25
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Looking at the visuals, I think I can safely assure that I've been underestimating the Middle East in this kind of capability. Though a lot leaves to be desired... and questions to be answered.

Which leaves me to ask myself and my fellow nationals studying or working in this field: Where are we right now? Seems what we've doing on the other hand is trying to catch up to the 3D animation craze and are using the West as a heavy scale.

Though their choice of visuals does tend to spark curiosity in me... Why not base it in a city of a Middle Eastern country? Like, billboards and road signs in Arabic/Farsi/Turkish or whatever this production might be from?

... I'd rather use the term "Animation" in it's whole form rather than "anime" or any other term, since "anime" by itself is a short term for "animation."

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 08:45   Link #26
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
For the thousandth time - it's not from Japan, it's not an anime.
It depends really on how each person defines "anime"; it's a rather gray area.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 09:05   Link #27
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
It depends really on how each person defines "anime"; it's a rather gray area.
But it's not, it's only gray because people just don't accept what the term anime means and where it came from.

In Japan anime means one thing
But outside Japan anime is the fan term for Japanimation. Seriously if we were still using the term Japanimation we would not be having this much confusion.

The Middle East is producing their own mecha animated series. They are not producing anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...icon.php?id=46
Old 2013-04-21, 09:15   Link #28
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But it's not, it's only gray because people just don't accept what the term anime means and where it came from.

In Japan anime means one thing
But outside Japan anime is the fan term for Japanimation. Seriously if we were still using the term Japanimation we would not be having this much confusion.

The Middle East is producing their own mecha animated series. They are not producing anime.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...icon.php?id=46
Might be so, but for anime fans who watch animes merely for the fun of it with nary a thought about the origin and whatnot may have the tendency to generalize, especially when anime is arguably(I say arguably because it is open to debate) more popular than Western animation or any other type of animation in different parts of the world.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-23, 13:22   Link #29
alarmadadna hadi

Quote:
I'd question how "middle eastern" any company in Dubai really is, especially when their website is in English.

That said, I liked what I saw in the preview, though I found the spoken language a bit jarring (and I've read somewhere that the dialect used is a strange choice, due to limited understanding in the Arab world; though with no real knowledge of dialects and languages spoken there, and this being the internet....).
I believe the founders of Alter Ego to be emiratis, though they seem to have global professional contributors.

For the second point, the dialect used is the colloquial Arabic used in the gulf countries in general, the United Arab Emirates in particular, I wouldn't say it's that limited though (perhaps Arabic speakers in north African countries like morocco might find it harder to understand)
That being said, supposedly only the main character uses this dialect.

Quote:
Though their choice of visuals does tend to spark curiosity in me... Why not base it in a city of a Middle Eastern country? Like, billboards and road signs in Arabic/Farsi/Turkish or whatever this production might be from?
Quote:
That or that character is suppose to be Japanese. Some mecha expert or military/corperate advisor on drivable giant robots (as that is almost always a Japanese thing now in fiction).
It appears the setting will be japan, but the characters will come from different countries, so different languages (or dialects, if we're talking arabic countries) will be used. The japanese in the trailer seems to be part of the case.

Here's to hoping they get a sponsor through their pilot episode.
Old 2013-04-27, 11:52   Link #30
Cryonosis
~Desu

"Japanimation" is antiquated and no longer in use by anyone as far as I can tell. The term Anime, in general English use, has evolved into being a shortened form of animation, just as it is in Japan and Europe.

Let's not even get into how an English term that is a French loaner-word to describe a product from Japan that is well accepted to be heavily influenced from America to produce the likes Crayon Shin-chan which can be considered Anime while shows like Robotech can not be is anything but beyond ridiculous.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with referring to this production from the Middle East as "Anime" exactly like the Japanese would and pretty much everyone else in the world would refer to is as.
Cryonosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 03:42   Link #31
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Be prepared to say that line 1000 times more. Do realize: that's a very doctrinal statement. It's as if to mention the possibility of anime created outside of Japanese soil is heresy. Plus, I hate to break it to you: that bubble has popped.

But, I'm gonna play backseat mod on this post, 'cause if you want to talk about the semantics of what anime is or isn't... y'can just go here:
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=113842

Instead, this thread is about an achievement by a Dubai based studio, which created an animated work so comparable to "what is commonly known as anime". It is good enough to be included in the discussion of it being anime. To that, I applaud it.

Now, that this is a trend being set, as it was inevitable sooner or later. Furthermore, I hope the trend spreads. If you don't like it, deal with it.

Last edited by Kyuu; 2013-04-28 at 03:59.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 05:48   Link #32
roxybudgy
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to roxybudgy Send a message via MSN to roxybudgy Send a message via Yahoo to roxybudgy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryonosis View Post
The term Anime, in general English use, has evolved into being a shortened form of animation, just as it is in Japan and Europe.
Americans seem to have a habit of changing the meaning of words out of ignorance. For example a "parakeet" is a small to medium sized parrot typically with a long tail. However, to Americans, a "parakeet" is Melopsittacus Undulatus, or it's more correct common name is "budgerigar".

To me, "anime" will always refer to Japanese animation. I supposed if people wanted to, they could call Japanese cars "kuruma", heck they can call it "gogomobiles" if they wanted to, but to morph the meaning of "gogomobiles" to refer to all cars simply because people who buy cars are ignorant of the origin of the correct term is... ignorant.

Back on topic, the things I love about anime is the art and the story. If another country (such as the Middle East) produces something similar, it doesn't matter to me which country it comes from, as long as the art is nice and the story is interesting, I would watch it. Plus it would be nice to see what kind of stories another culture would produce.

Naruto used to air on a Chinese satellite channel that I used to watch, but then they replaced it with a Chinese animation where the stories focused on morality and the characters had names such as Duibuqi (literally: I'm sorry) and Xiexie Ni (literally: Thank you). That show was incredibly boring, and the animation quality was low.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed "A Chinese Ghost Story" animated by a Hong Kong studio. The story was interesting, and the animation was gorgeous. It would be nice to see more of that.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2013-05-10 at 02:17.
roxybudgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-28, 11:11   Link #33
Dhomochevsky
temporary safeguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxybudgy View Post
Spoiler for length:
Well, a parrot is still the same parrot, no matter what country it happens to hatch in.
If it comes out of parrot egg, looks like a parrot and behaves like a parrot, then it is a parrot.

Same with anime. If it looks and feels like an anime, it is an anime. The nationality of the producers is of no concern here.
Dhomochevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-01, 03:58   Link #34
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
According to my Japanese romantic partner, every animated show or movie or anything is called anime, no matter what country it comes from.

She still doesn't understand that it's a loan word in English and "anime" actually means animation of a specific artistic style originating in Japan specifically, in America and other English-speaking areas.

Edit: A lot of what people think is Japanese animation is actually outsourced to South Korean studios in order to save money.
Old 2013-05-01, 07:05   Link #35
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
Same with anime. If it looks and feels like an anime, it is an anime. The nationality of the producers is of no concern here.
Of course it is. Anime is not a "style". Anime is a term that refers specifically to Japanese animation. If you take that away, the term becomes meaningless and you might as well call it "cartoons" because there'd be no distinction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
According to my Japanese romantic partner, every animated show or movie or anything is called anime, no matter what country it comes from.
Because in Japan, it is. In English, it means Japanese animation. Come on, it's not that complicated.
Old 2013-05-01, 18:53   Link #36
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggen View Post
Because in Japan, it is. In English, it means Japanese animation. Come on, it's not that complicated.
Yeah, I agree with you and Kirarakim.

And the statement that "anime" in any place other than Japan simply means animation is wrong else people would call Warner Bros and Disney Cartoons "anime", but they don't, they call them "cartoons".

Clearly there is a difference between "cartoons" and "anime" in the English language that doesn't exist in Japan where everything is "anime".

The only debatable point is whether "anime" should be considered a certain style of animation or if it should only refer to animation made in a specific country (Japan).

Personally I think the first option would be very debatable because "anime" don't have a precise style and they are very diverse among themselves. You can perhaps find some common denominator and certain factors that are widely used, but those tend to change with time.

In the end it would be more correct to say that this is the first Middle East's anime-inspired cartoon. But I guess it's just easier for people to call it anime.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 09:49   Link #37
jvcscasio
Lord of Lurkervile

Well, I define big eyed, self contained stories, with exaggerated expressions an anime. Wait...

But, for example, I don't consider Panty & Stoking an anime, but I consider Avatar one. It's not a definition, it's a interpretation.
jvcscasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 10:15   Link #38
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

The problem is that there is not point in words if their definitions aren't widely accepted. words are meant to communicate something and if you use words that have a meaning to you that differs from the meaning it has for the people you're talking to, you aren't communicating what you want.

I could for example arbitrarily decide to call the number "2" three. This wouldn't be mathematically incorrect I'd just change the name associated with the mathematical concept, I could call it "ni" like Japanese do, or I could call it "due" "zwei" deux".

The fact remains that if I say "one plus one equal three" people will think that I'm an idiot.

If people use whatever definition they like for the word "anime" it will only lead to confusion and lack of proper communication.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 13:05   Link #39
Lord of El Hazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post

The production company, Alter Ego, was founded in Abu Dhabi. I think it is pretty cool that some anime inspired animation is coming from the Middle East.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...ts-first-anime
So, when is this group gonna make their own version of Aladdin or Hakushon Daimao?

Hakushon Daimao:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...00&fr2=piv-web
Lord of El Hazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:56   Link #40
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i hope the plot of this show does not have to do with what the hell is going on in the middle east (political & economical tensions, war, terrorism, etc.) in the same vein as Ironman
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote