AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-03-02, 07:19   Link #261
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Nah, it was no games. This wasn't helped by the fact that compared to the previous generation, there were a lot less console exclusive games for the PS3 and 360. This meant that those who already owned a 360 saw even less reason to buy a PS3, which further cemented the "no games" gag.
It's interesting to point out however that, by the midpoint of the generation, the situation kind of flipped and the 360 has been without much exclusives to it's name while the PS3 has managed to secure a few still.
Old 2013-03-02, 08:51   Link #262
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Which helps explain how the PS3 slowly climbed back up over the years after a terrible start.

Companies may blather on and on about the awesome extra features of their consoles, but anyone with half a brain can see that as well as price, every single generation it is the games that sell a console.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-02, 11:18   Link #263
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Franchises dying also may have something to do with it.
And PS2 was by far the most hyped console, since the PS1 was such success, and everyone wanted to make games on PS2.

Then M$ stepped up their game with the 360, and the exclusive games came to an end...

The price (lol US$599) and delayed release also helped the Sony "monopoly" to end.
Old 2013-03-02, 19:47   Link #264
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

In a market where exclusivity is becoming rarer and rarer, being the first on the market matters a lot. People weren't going to buy a PS3 when they could play the same game on their 360. Same thing will happen this generation if the trend of little to no exclusives continues.

Whoever will bring their console on the market first will definitely have an advantage.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 12:43   Link #265
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

PlayStation 4 Teaser Was YouTube’s Most Watched Video In February

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Quote:
Sony’s PlayStation 4 teaser was the most watched YouTube video during the month of February, according to official reports.
In a month that’s usually dominated by Super Bowl ads, all eyes were on the PlayStation 4 announcement instead. With over 26 million views the below PS4 teaser video bested Samsung Mobile USA’s The Next Big Thing ad ( which aired two weeks prior ) by 5 million views.
http://thesilentchief.com/2013/03/07...o-in-february/

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-10, 13:21   Link #266
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
60 fps hd gaming

let it happen sony
Old 2013-05-02, 19:13   Link #267
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Oh wow, so there is a PS4 thread!

...All...The way....Back...Here...>_>

Sony E3 conference June 10
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 22:11   Link #268
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Funny thought I had: if companies like Nippon Ichi or that other one that made the Hyperdimension Neptunia series will still be developing games with PS1/PS2 level graphics for the PS4. (At least with Disgaea it's a style choice, granted)

It's like almighty cosmic power to set worlds on fire!!!!!...... and you use it to fry an egg.
Old 2013-05-02, 22:17   Link #269
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Thats nothing; we have visual novels being developed for the Vita.

The VITA.

VITA.
Old 2013-05-02, 22:26   Link #270
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Thats nothing; we have visual novels being developed for the Vita.

The VITA.

VITA.
....I don't think this is a pretty good comparison They are Visual Novels to begin with, so not much they can do with graphics aside improving the art quality.

While I disagree with Neptune series having PS1/PS2 level of graphics, it's true that it is still below average compared with similar JRPG games in PS3.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 22:31   Link #271
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
....I don't think this is a pretty good comparison They are Visual Novels to begin with, so not much they can do with graphics aside improving the art quality.

While I disagree with Neptune series having PS1/PS2 level of graphics, it's true that it is still below average compared with similar JRPG games in PS3.
Did you miss the card game from Square-Enix for the VITA?
Old 2013-05-02, 22:39   Link #272
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
Did you miss the card game from Square-Enix for the VITA?
If you mean Kakusan Sei Million Arthur, I'm aware of it.
Old 2013-05-02, 22:43   Link #273
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
If you mean Kakusan Sei Million Arthur, I'm aware of it.
It was originally a phone game so it doesn't count.

But when I hear news like Nyaruko VN being developed for the Vita....

The Vita....

VITA...
Old 2013-05-02, 22:49   Link #274
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It was originally a phone game so it doesn't count.

But when I hear news like Nyaruko VN being developed for the Vita....

The Vita....

VITA...
I'm sorry, but I don't see why they can't develop a Visual Novel for Vita or any modern console there

Not even to mention a portable console, pretty much one of the best alternative for the platform of the said genre (in my case, I would actually love to read my VN on the go too).
Old 2013-05-02, 22:57   Link #275
defki

I see nothing wrong with having PS2 or below average PS3 graphics even on the PS4.

I want my niche games on consoles and I don't care how they look like.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-02, 23:15   Link #276
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

With android and apple devices becoming more and more powerful, it's just weird when you can put something like a visual novel on an android tablet for instance and have it be perfectly fine, but then opt to put it on a PS4 with its high-performance specs and serious gaming mentality. And if you want the big TV resolution, I'm sure there's a way to stream the footage on the tablet onto the TV.
Old 2013-05-02, 23:28   Link #277
Kirayuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
And if you want the big TV resolution, I'm sure there's a way to stream the footage on the tablet onto the TV.
Some people doesn't like the complexity or having time to deal/bother with this if they simply just want to have bigger screen without hassle.
Old 2013-05-02, 23:42   Link #278
defki

Again what is wrong with having below average graphics? How is a visual novel not serious gaming? Just because the specs are high doesn't mean everyone has to push them. NIS, Gust and Falcom games are not less serious or less games just because they aren't part of the master race. Not everyone can go for cutting edge graphics and they don't need to. If they are comfortable with PS2-PS3 levels it's totally fine. They are video games and belong on a video game console.
Old 2013-05-03, 00:21   Link #279
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong. I'm saying it's just weird seeing something as heavy metal as PS4 being put to work on something as low-power as visual novels or something like Disgaea.

It's like using a forklift to arrange teacups or something. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it's pretty absurd in a funny, not insulting way.
Old 2013-05-03, 01:19   Link #280
defki

Yes I see what you mean and it is funny. But just because the hardware is high end doesn't mean everyone can use it. Dev cost are high. And creating high end assets is expensive. A niche company can't afford that. They simply don't have enough money or manpower to do that. If a company like NIS or Falcom had the manpower and budge of someone like Square you would see FF levels. And even if they could, creating niche games with high end graphics that sell niche numbers would be suicide for them.

That doen't mean they don't improve their output. I mean look at Gust or Falcom and he jump from Rorona to Ayesha or Zero to Sen. People go "meh" but the jump is significant. It just that they are much slower.

Also VN is a genre that doesn't benefit much from high end hardware. They can improve the art, include animated scenes, higher res but that's pretty much it. In the end they are just interactive texts with pictures. Unless of course they are hybrids.