AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Railgun [M/LN]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-03, 09:07   Link #281
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
chaos, stop acting like a tsundere and show us how you truly feel!
My true feelings?

Oh you mean that pesky human emotions?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:09   Link #282
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
I don't know what are you expecting, this was within expectatives for this series already.
__________________
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:13   Link #283
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Wilfy, I gave it 3-4 episodes before I started saying anything.

I think that's a fairly reasonable amount of leeway don't you think? No other show would have this much warm up time before getting into the meat.

And it's not like I was trash talking randomly, though admittedly I was more emotional when I typed that first statement earlier today.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:13   Link #284
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
First off, it's hypocritical to say that I am entitled to an opinion, but immediately follow it up with "if you don't like it don't watch". Just because you are entitled to an opinion doesn't mean I can't challenge it. I think it's fair to say if you can't take criticism then maybe you shouldn't take part in discussions and keep your opinions to yourself so you won't have your mood ruined.

Secondly, what does knowing what the other three girls are up to add to the story? You said that the slow pace would add details to the story, but so far what did we learn that is new or important? Which of these can you honestly say adds to the story in any meaningful way?

It's not like we don't know who these characters are, it's not like we are seeing them in a different light, it's not like we need to set the tone of the story because all of this has been done in the first season already. Reintroducing the characters? Fine, I give them that one, but it certainly doesn't require this much warm up time to get to the good part.
First off, I was merely giving you a suggestion. It sounds like you're the one having problems taking criticism and being a cactus about it. Don't tell me I'm being hypocritical and then immediately be a hypocrite yourself by telling me I should stop taking part in these forums. What I'm saying is, this is a Railgun forum and there are bound to be lots of Railgun fans here. Just respect that.

Secondly, we're only into 4 episodes of Railgun S and you're already determining what is important and what is not? Again, I reiterate. You're drawing from what you read from the manga and applying your expectations to the anime. I can understand why, and I tend to do that too. But as I've already said, the anime adaption likes to focus on the other three girls as well (plus now we have two new additions) and we don't know their side of the story while Mikoto's out and about facing her problems (because it doesn't show in the manga). It's detail in a sense of long-term character development and the relationships these characters have (which Railgun anime usually likes to focus on). By showing the lives of other girls, I'm predicting we'll also get a better picture of Mikoto's isolation during her period of darkness. I personally think it'll be interesting to see how they fit Mikoto's friends' perspectives into the Sister's Arc.

For example, didn't Mikoto ask Uiharu to help her crack a code before she discovered the information about the experiments? The manga doesn't show Uiharu after that for a while... But what if Uiharu delved a little deeper, wondering what Mikoto was up to? These are just implications, which I think are definite possibilities that the anime could explore and expand on.

Again, I think manga-readers have the tendency to have a fixed image of what 'should be' in an anime adaption because they already know the storyline. I just think we should keep our minds open, that's all. Who knows? Maybe the things you didn't think was so significant could be a piece of a more significant puzzle later. We're only in ep 4 (technically ep 3 of Sisters), we don't actually know until the very end, what is meaningful and what is not at this point.
__________________

Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:21   Link #285
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Wilfy, I gave it 3-4 episodes before I started saying anything.

I think that's a fairly reasonable amount of leeway don't you think? No other show would have this much warm up time before getting into the meat.

And it's not like I was trash talking randomly, though admittedly I was more emotional when I typed that first statement earlier today.
That feeling, is what other people felt time before, it just so happens that now you are the one feeling it.
__________________
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 09:32   Link #286
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrala View Post
First off, I was merely giving you a suggestion. It sounds like you're the one having problems taking criticism and being a cactus about it. Don't tell me I'm being hypocritical and then immediately be a hypocrite yourself by telling me I should stop taking part in these forums. What I'm saying is, this is a Railgun forum and there are bound to be lots of Railgun fans here. Just respect that.
No, your idea of respect is to shut up and not say anything critic against the show you like, sorry that's not how this works. You say I can't take criticism but you weren't criticizing anything- your exact statement was

Quote:
If you don't like it that much, why are you even watching it? Stop complaining already, don't ruin the mood for people who are actually enjoying how they've recreated the manga.
That's not 'giving me a suggestion', that's an definitive command.

Couple it with your earlier line of "I'm entitled to my own opinions as much as you are." I can differ from this is that you felt like your opinion was threaten and so you proceed to respond by giving the standard "If you don't like it, don't watch" response.

That's textbook can't take criticism, so it's not hypocritical for me to respond in kind since you started first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrala View Post
Secondly, we're only into 4 episodes of Railgun S and you're already determining what is important and what is not? Again, I reiterate. You're drawing from what you read from the manga and applying your expectations to the anime. I can understand why, and I tend to do that too. But as I've already said, the anime adaption likes to focus on the other three girls as well (plus now we have two new additions) and we don't know their side of the story while Mikoto's out and about facing her problems (because it doesn't show in the manga). It's detail in a sense of long-term character development and the relationships these characters have (which Railgun anime usually likes to focus on). By showing the lives of other girls, I'm predicting we'll also get a better picture of Mikoto's isolation during her period of darkness. I personally think it'll be interesting to see how they fit Mikoto's friends' perspectives into the Sister's Arc.

For example, didn't Mikoto ask Uiharu to help her crack a code before she discovered the information about the experiments? The manga doesn't show Uiharu after that for a while... But what if Uiharu delved a little deeper, wondering what Mikoto was up to? These are just implications, which I think are definite possibilities that the anime could explore and expand on.
That's because they don't fit into the story of the Sister's Arc.

They aren't suppose to know any of this.

If they get character development it's going to be unrelated to what Mikoto is going through. How does seeing what other girls do will give us a better picture of Mikoto's isolation? They are happy, she's not. Zero connection.

And if they do get involve in the Sister's arc, which means it flies yet again in the face of canon and you'll have more shit being stirred up not just by me but everybody else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrala View Post
Again, I think manga-readers have the tendency to have a fixed image of what 'should be' in an anime adaption because they already know the storyline. I just think we should keep our minds open, that's all. Who knows? Maybe the things you didn't think was so significant could be a piece of a more significant puzzle later. We're only in ep 4 (technically ep 3 of Sisters), we don't actually know until the very end, what is meaningful and what is not at this point.
Your theory only works if we don't know anything about the story.

But the fact is, we do- a very large portion of the fanbase knows this, and the producers know this as well. That means they are limited to what they can changed without a shit storm raining down on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
That feeling, is what other people felt time before, it just so happens that now you are the one feeling it.
The difference is that I now have some grounds to speak off.

You guys were basing it off nothing.

Remember those who thought the Sister Arc who get skipped completely?

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-05-03 at 17:36. Reason: merge double-post
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 10:04   Link #287
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
I'm a little annoyed by the unneeded detail too but I'm hoping that they are getting all the 'fanservice' out of the way now so we can keep the Sister's arc very Mikoto focused. I agree with Chaos that the other girls have nothing to add to the story. I frankly don't want them to have anything to do with it.

Quote:
Remember those who thought the Sister Arc who get skipped completely?
...That never happened. *whistles innocently*
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 10:08   Link #288
Miraluka
18 forever
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
How do we know?
*plays X-files music theme*
Maybe... they were steps ahead us .

Really? I don't recall them... if they did that it means they were just few users.
__________________
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 11:15   Link #289
tsunade666
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In my room
You know chaoz. I'll give you the best advice I can get. Stop watching the crap HAHAHAHA!!!!

Truth to be told, after watching episode 1 I dropped Railgun S and I'm happy to do so because it will waste a lot of time to anticipate it or watched it without the helpful fast forward command.

I will just do it like when I watched season 1. I drop season 1 after level upper arc. Its too much for me to watched. So I dropped it but I still download it and compile it. After the whole series ended. I watched it in my huge hd screen and it helps a lot that it has fast forward command. I seat tight on my seat and eat popcorn while the useful controller is by my side. It helps I have a good sound system.

I just fast forward the crap when I'm watching it and thankfully I finished season 1. I'm still following on what happening on season 2 but not watching it and if you look at the votes. I never voted after episode 1. Why? because I haven't watched it yet and just by looking at reactions and images. I know I'm in for a hell.

Its a good thing there are hataraku and sousei on this season. There there are funny series like devil summoner and valvare

Watched other animes that won't help increase your blood pressure. Relax and enjoy your time. Time is something you can't take back and 20 minutes of crap is something I can't stomach. There are other more productive ways to do things. Like work to earn more money then seat back and enjoy the show when you arrive home
__________________

tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 17:48   Link #290
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
When you're reading a manga, you can flip through the pages at your own pace, so you can decide how quickly things flow. With anime, you don't get that control (unless, as was said, you fast-forward). In the end, this is a 24-episode season, and at least the first half is going to be dedicated to this arc, so rushing into things doesn't really get them anywhere. In light novel terms, this is almost like spending 11 episodes on a single volume, which is about half the speed of the Index anime.

In the end, I don't necessarily disagree that this may be a show that's better watched in a batch than week-to-week. In fact, I personally watched most of this franchise that way (both Index and Railgun). IMO, the feeling of the slow build towards the climax works better when you're not always waiting a week for the next part.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 17:51   Link #291
Sumeragi
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Dai Korai Teikoku
O_O

What happened here?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 18:04   Link #292
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
O_O

What happened here?
Basically I disapproved of the current slow pacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
When you're reading a manga, you can flip through the pages at your own pace, so you can decide how quickly things flow. With anime, you don't get that control (unless, as was said, you fast-forward). In the end, this is a 24-episode season, and at least the first half is going to be dedicated to this arc, so rushing into things doesn't really get them anywhere. In light novel terms, this is almost like spending 11 episodes on a single volume, which is about half the speed of the Index anime.

In the end, I don't necessarily disagree that this may be a show that's better watched in a batch than week-to-week. In fact, I personally watched most of this franchise that way (both Index and Railgun). IMO, the feeling of the slow build towards the climax works better when you're not always waiting a week for the next part.
Relentless I didn't just watched the first episode and complainted. We're four episodes into the season already. And while I can flip through the pages, I still can't make whats in them magically flow faster.

Looks like we'll finally get what we want next week but man was it unnecessarily draggy.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 18:42   Link #293
relentlessflame
Administrator
*AnimeSuki Site Staff
*Moderator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
And while I can flip through the pages, I still can't make whats in them magically flow faster.
You sort of can, though. What I mean is that reading a manga chapter is almost always faster than watching an anime episode, and you can probably read this entire story arc in the manga in about an hour or less. And when you think back of the highlights of that whole arc, you're going to remember the scenes that are the most exciting, and not the connecting pieces that may have more time devoted to them in the anime. There are only so many ways to stretch out action scenes without itself being ridiculous.

Anyway, this isn't a criticism of your point of view, or the fact you were bored of the slow pace. I'm just saying that I think the difference between the two media in this regard makes sense. I'm just happy that they have the time they need to deliver the arc in full, even if it means it's a bit of a slow start to some.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 19:01   Link #294
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Anyway, this isn't a criticism of your point of view, or the fact you were bored of the slow pace. I'm just saying that I think the difference between the two media in this regard makes sense. I'm just happy that they have the time they need to deliver the arc in full, even if it means it's a bit of a slow start to some.
Nicely put, that's what I was referring to- in a more simplistic sense thanks.
__________________


Last edited by Shadrala; 2013-05-03 at 19:01. Reason: messed up the codes
Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 21:25   Link #295
touge-n00b
ZC6 Eishi
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Honolulu Base
Misaka specifically names Liberal-Arts City in the episode. It's either a big nod to the fans, or we really are getting that arc animated this season. Otherwise, why include it for two episodes now?
touge-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 21:27   Link #296
Chaos2Frozen
I Am Undone
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by touge-n00b View Post
Misaka specifically names Liberal-Arts City in the episode. It's either a big nod to the fans, or we really are getting that arc animated this season. Otherwise, why include it for two episodes now?
I'm personally convinced it's going to happen.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 03:37   Link #297
Shadrala
Level 5 Railgun Stalker
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I think the Liberal Arts City will happen as well with all those hints dropping ^^

On another little side note:
Spoiler for image:
__________________

Shadrala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 03:41   Link #298
OverNOut
The Obsever
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Classified
^I agree with that. Too bad she never gave it to him though.
OverNOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 05:12   Link #299
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
The pacing is fine. You guys are seriously making a mountain out of a molehill.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 05:53   Link #300
zaeraal
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Since they added Harue to the trip (she was not in the original material) I wonder what will her role be during their trip.
And ofc. what swimsuit did she choose in the end
I am also curious if Banri will join (as they mentioned, she should be able to walk and go to school by then).
If she gets lucky, she might even end up in the same school (class) as Saten and Uiharu and maybe even ends up as Saten's roomate.

PS: Do you think they will ever adapt the OFFICIAL (the ones made by Kamachi) 4komas that were released with manga?
They were really funny and could work as a nice break from the dark atmosphere.
__________________
Sometimes a thousand volts are worth a thousand words.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:59.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.