AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 10 10.99%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 19.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 33 36.26%
7 out of 10 : Good 20 21.98%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.49%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.20%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-05, 19:50   Link #61
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
That floral shirt and Ledo learning to swim. Bellows and crew stuck doing paperwork. Everyone chilling out and/or doing everyday stuff.

Loved this episode. Though having Ledo casually fall from a lethal height was a bit of a creepy inclusion.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:14   Link #62
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
After reading this thread in its entirety, I worry about what quite a few of you expect on a weekly basis. Tragedy and bloodbath? Really? Good lord, not being satisfied with the other shows of the season giving you those things already (and one of said shows being incredible) kind of makes me weep for humanity's mindset.

I really enjoyed this episode, myself. It was a perfect way to end my perfect weekend, beautiful weather, pure blue skies, getting together with friends, and tons of BBQ for pretty much every meal. You people need to learn to enjoy the simple things.

And Amy's/Bellows'/Ridget's fantastic bodies.
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:17   Link #63
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
After reading this thread in its entirety, I worry about what quite a few of you expect on a weekly basis. Tragedy and bloodbath? Really? Good lord, not being satisfied with the other shows of the season giving you those things already (and one of said shows being incredible) kind of makes me weep for humanity's mindset.

And Amy's/Bellows'/Ridget's fantastic bodies.
While I don't agree with the critics of this week's episode, I do understand why they think it's a waste for an entire episode to focus on slice of life, given that SnG is only 1 cour.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:26   Link #64
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
The episode may not have advanced the main narrative, but it did advance the themes of the series - and that may be more important. Plus, there's value in a good one-off episode.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:27   Link #65
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUAHAHAHAHAHA View Post
While I don't agree with the critics of this week's episode, I do understand why they think it's a waste for an entire episode to focus on slice of life, given that SnG is only 1 cour.
To be honest, that's somewhat my complaint. The fact that there's complaints based on the slice-of-life portions means that their expectations of this series are wildly different. Personally, stuff like this is EXACTLY what I'd expected the minute things started to gradually settle down once Ledo had gotten onto the Gargantia.

Sure, I expect things to take a turn eventually, but I primarily find this series to be about watching Ledo adjust to this new world. Not a countdown for this paradise to go up in flames. I honestly wish people wouldn't put so much stock in this Gen Urobochi thing, cause at this rate the ending is going to be either full of "I KNEW it was going to end in tragedy like that!" or "Where's all the death and tragedy? This show sucked."

Going back to my post before, enjoy the simple things. Enjoy this show as it is. Nothing against disliking elements in the episode, but I find the expectation for constant heavy development due to 1-cour ridiculous. Lots of great shows were done in a cour, let this one end before we start writing it off, yeah?
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:30   Link #66
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
After reading this thread in its entirety, I worry about what quite a few of you expect on a weekly basis. Tragedy and bloodbath? Really? Good lord, not being satisfied with the other shows of the season giving you those things already (and one of said shows being incredible) kind of makes me weep for humanity's mindset.
Once again that is NOT why people are criticizing the episode.

Would you like it if I said the only reason you are praising the episode is because you get to see girls in swimsuits?

Maybe you have legitimate reasons for enjoying the episode just like I and other people have legitimate reasons for being disappointed (and it has nothing to do with wanting tragedy or a blood bath).

Let's see

* I am not a big fan of fanservice or beach episodes (although I could mostly ignore that)
* I didn't like the whole thing about girls talking about getting fat and the comment that is just how girls are
* I didn't like Ledo being chased by cliche and stereotypical Okama (it's a negative stereotype and I don't find it funny in the least)
* I did like Ledo feeling lost and useless and wanting to get a job but I didn't feel the episode did anything really meaningful with this.

Episode 4 had excellent world building and character development. This episode did not.

Okay I did enjoy Chamber being used as a BBQ and I saw Ledo smile a few times, but that unfortunately wasn't enough for me.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:30   Link #67
MUAHAHAHAHAHA
Hail the power of Fujoshi
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: hahahahahahahahaha
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
To be honest, that's somewhat my complaint. The fact that there's complaints based on the slice-of-life portions means that their expectations of this series are wildly different. Personally, stuff like this is EXACTLY what I'd expected the minute things started to gradually settle down once Ledo had gotten onto the Gargantia.

Sure, I expect things to take a turn eventually, but I primarily find this series to be about watching Ledo adjust to this new world. Not a countdown for this paradise to go up in flames. I honestly wish people wouldn't put so much stock in this Gen Urobochi thing, cause at this rate the ending is going to be either full of "I KNEW it was going to end in tragedy like that!" or "Where's all the death and tragedy? This show sucked."
Perceptions are hard to change, especially when the name Urobochi is involved. Dude is infamous for his intense episodes, and I think some ppl may have anticipated the same for this anime, despite his claims that SnG will be different from his previous projects. Anyway, I don't fault ppl for criticising this episode, as they have a valid reason to be concerned by the somewhat lack of plot advancement.
MUAHAHAHAHAHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:31   Link #68
Midonin
Last Engage
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Would you like it if I said the only reason you are praising the episode is because you get to see girls in swimsuits?
I'd take it as a compliment. It's possible to be honest and say "I watched for and enjoyed this episode for the fanservice" while also still analyzing it and discussing it in depth. Showing that one can use their brain and enjoy the visual pleasures of the series.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:35   Link #69
Entravity
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Dem bikinis. Anyways, I just hope that they can do everything they need to do this season.
__________________
Episodic Overviews of the latest anime.
Entravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:38   Link #70
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'd take it as a compliment. It's possible to be honest and say "I watched for and enjoyed this episode for the fanservice" while also still analyzing it and discussing it in depth. Showing that one can use their brain and enjoy the visual pleasures of the series.
I said would you like it if I said you ONLY enjoyed it for the fanservice. That would be doing you as much discredit as saying to people who didn't like the episode it is ONLY because they wanted tragedy and a blood bath.

As for fanservice it is part of anime but unfortunately I didn't think this episode offered much beyond that, especially when compared to previous episodes.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:39   Link #71
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Once again that is NOT why people are criticizing the episode.

Would you like it if I said the only reason you are praising the episode is because you get to see girls in swimsuits?

Maybe you have legitimate reasons for enjoying the episode just like I and other people have legitimate reasons for being disappointed (and it has nothing to do with wanting tragedy or a blood bath).

Let's see

* I am not a big fan of fanservice or beach episodes (although I could mostly ignore that)
* I didn't like the whole thing about girls talking about getting fat and the comment that is just how girls are
* I didn't like Ledo being chased by cliche and stereotypical Okama (it's a negative stereotype and I don't find it funny in the least)
* I did like Ledo feeling lost and useless and wanting to get a job but I didn't feel the episode did anything really meaningful with this.

Episode 4 had excellent world building and character development. This episode did not.

Okay I did enjoy Chamber being used as a BBQ and I saw Ledo smile a few times, but that unfortunately wasn't enough for me.
I have to disagree with the bolded part, somewhat. While the lack of character development rings true, the point of world-building does not. Which kind of connects to my point about what people expect on a weekly basis.

This world is a vast ball of water. Gargantia is NOT going to be attacked by pirates on a constant basis. They do have good days (months, maybe), and we just happened to see one. This, in itself, is world-building.
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:44   Link #72
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnus View Post
I have to disagree with the bolded part, somewhat. While the lack of character development rings true, the point of world-building does not. Which kind of connects to my point about what people expect on a weekly basis.

This world is a vast ball of water. Gargantia is NOT going to be attacked by pirates on a constant basis. They do have good days (months, maybe), and we just happened to see one. This, in itself, is world-building.
You are ignoring the fact that the episode I praised also did not have pirate attacks & was also mostly slice of life.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of the Pirates either (they were too silly for me) but there were other things in episode 3 that I enjoyed more so than this episode.

It's fine that you disagree and that this episode did more for you. I am not saying you are wrong for getting more out of this episode than I did. I just think it is wrong for you to judge people who didn't like this episode "as only wanting a blood bath".

Because frankly I am not expecting or want anything dark and tragic at all from this series.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:51   Link #73
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
It was fun going through again and watching minor characters. Ridget's two diver pals, the white-robed advisor and the military advisor, the girl from Bellows' crew. I definitely missed a few of them the first time.

Looking at the seedy underground was interesting too. I wonder if anyone has/will work out the script they use.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 20:53   Link #74
Somnus
Eh?
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
You are ignoring the fact that the episode I praised also did not have pirate attacks & was also mostly slice of life.

Personally I wasn't a big fan of the Pirates either (they were too silly for me) but there were other things in episode 3 that I enjoyed more so than this episode.

It's fine that you disagree and that this episode did more for you. I am not saying you are wrong for getting more out of this episode than I did. I just think it is wrong for you to judge people who didn't like this episode "as only wanting a blood bath".

Because frankly I am not expecting or want anything dark and tragic at all from this series.
Fair enough, I opened up ep 4 again to refresh my memory. That being said, this episode was to introduce the concepts of "fun" and "work" to Ledo. There's only so many ways to do that and keep it interesting, so although fanservice and such may not do it for some, it is successful as a general means of entertainment. It was clean for the most part, anyways (as someone said, the girls don't wear much normally to begin with).

I wasn't judging all people who disliked the episode that way, but there were some who did for those very reasons. That comment was for those people, which I thought was straightforward enough to understand considering I was echoing the same two words they used for their discontent.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
It was fun going through again and watching minor characters. Ridget's two diver pals, the white-robed advisor and the military advisor, the girl from Bellows' crew. I definitely missed a few of them the first time.

Looking at the seedy underground was interesting too. I wonder if anyone has/will work out the script they use.
I remember there being a post before where someone pointed out it was essentially English spelling with different symbols. Or, at least the script on Chamber is. No idea if you're referencing different script!
__________________
Somnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 21:00   Link #75
duckroll
綺羅星★!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
I found it a pretty fun beach filler episode. Lots of fanservice, which I can do with or without, but the best scenes were the ones showing characters on the fleet relaxing and enjoying their day off. Ledo looking for a job also gives us a peek into the other parts of the ship(s) which we haven't seen before.

The kite-boat race was great too. Surely a hint at what sort of action scenes we can expect in future when they incorporate aerial stuff like that into them. Plus, who can say no to mecha cooked yakiniku? Seriously? Om nom nom nom!

----

http://gargantia.jp/blog/?p=420

Also, it seems that they weren't satisfied with some of the scenes in the broadcast version, and they'll be correcting them for the blu-ray release. So we can probably expect a better looking episode in September when the second box is released.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 21:51   Link #76
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Ep 5

I felt kinda bad for Chambers this week, no respect at all.

Otherwise a pretty decent episode. Had no problem with the fanservice, but I didn't enjoy the airing nearly as much as last week due to the lack character development or anything really substantial learned. Could have also done without the Okama part too, aside from that I don't have much to say.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 21:56   Link #77
mikeomni
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
There were a number of surprises that weren't satisfactorily explained:

1) Did Chamber determine from his remote that Ledo was in no real danger and thus accepted Pinion's orders? Ep2, Ledo was cool as a cucumber summoning Chamber, MC busts out of the ship through the roof as men with guns surround him. Ep5, Ledo is running in a panic with only his boxers and a Hawaiian shirt but Pinion overrides him? Ledo even falls from the tower and Chamber does nothing!
2) Bevel can walk! So I guess he's on the bed the last 4 episodes plus a wheelchair in the opening because he gets tired easily.
3) Pinion skips out of work, throws a party, says it's for Ledo ... everyone just plays along. I guess aside from Amy, Ridget and Bellows no one else could call him out on it.
4) They made a big deal about collecting rain water an episode ago. Then they waste gallons of water with a giant sprinkler! I wanted to do a tsukkomi, "Why is this necessary?"

Did the episode not get a continuity review? Actually, I was too distracted by the aimless theme to notice those incongruities until I watched it a third time (different subs).

Also, I demand more Ridget in swimsuit!
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:01   Link #78
Iron Maw
Devil Buster
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeomni View Post

Did the episode not get a continuity review? Actually, I was too distracted by the aimless theme to notice those incongruities until I watched it a third time (different subs).
I see your points and yeah, I agree. As someone else mentioned, Pinion's 180 is little towards Ledo id pretty baffling too.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:02   Link #79
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
I gotta admit, it’s not my usual taste, but I was kinda smitten with Melty. There was something about her this ep that was kinda alluring to me, esp
Spoiler for ep 5 pic:


view of her, esp her eyes =03…. YEAH, I said it!
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-05, 22:24   Link #80
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
I enjoyed this episode, but the okama joke went a bit too far. The thought that Ledo could have died if Amy wasn't conveniently flying nearby really made my eyes roll.

The whole scene makes no sense. Who the hell in his right mind would try to escape by climbing up a tower? Even if the stairs weren't broken he was bound to get to a dead end anyway.

That apart I liked the slice of life episode, and perhaps I am happy about this because that's what I am expecting from this series. I guess that those that wished it to be more action or drama oriented are a bit disappointed.
Perhaps I'm wrong but I really have the feeling that in the end this anime is really about the Gargantia and its discovery seen through the eye of an outsider.

I don't expect any major event related to the alliance or the hideuze if not near the very end.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.