Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-14, 21:11   Link #28281
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Chinese = race
PRC = nation
CCP = political party

Please do not forget that there are many Chinese race who havent stepped foot on Mainland China, do not speak any Chinese language and dont give a damn about what happened in PRC right now...
Old 2013-05-14, 21:16   Link #28282
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
Chinese = race
PRC = nation
CCP = political party

Please do not forget that there are many Chinese race who havent stepped foot on Mainland China, do not speak any Chinese language and dont give a damn about what happened in PRC right now...
Thank you. Quote for that.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 21:22   Link #28283
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Special Report - In Myanmar, apartheid tactics against minority Muslims
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94E00020130515
I wonder if Muslims outside Myanmar will try something...

Christian teacher to be tried in Egypt for insulting Islam
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94D14Q20130514
If it was in Pakistan, I would guess than he would get the death penalty.
Old 2013-05-14, 21:30   Link #28284
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Having pride in your nation isn't bad, but criticism towards China (obviously mostly CCP) is valid and you should be able to see that.
I would like to put an addon: supporting the CCP (or Chinese point of view) does not mean we are paid to post/mindless drones either.

I am so tried of hearing "He must be a party member" "he must be paid by the CCP" "He is brain washed" just because we choose to take a different point of view.

Edit: Or calling me to be banned because I must be "trolling"
Old 2013-05-14, 21:33   Link #28285
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Special Report - In Myanmar, apartheid tactics against minority Muslims
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94E00020130515
I wonder if Muslims outside Myanmar will try something...
so what is the "Lady's" doing about this?

haven't heard much form the Paragon of Democracy the West has been building up the last 2 decades.

Quote:
"How can it be ethnic cleansing? They are not an ethnic group," he said from an office on Sittwe's main street, overlooking an empty mosque guarded by soldiers and police.
Old 2013-05-14, 21:38   Link #28286
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
I would like to put an addon: supporting the CCP (or Chinese point of view) does not mean we are paid to post/mindless drones either.

I am so tried of hearing "He must be a party member" "he must be paid by the CCP" "He is brain washed" just because we choose to take a different point of view.

Edit: Or calling me to be banned because I must be "trolling"
Then elaborate in another manner other than "right to rule as the head of state" or "survival of the fittest". You know Social Darwinism and racial supremacism are lame excuses for dominance.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-14, 22:01   Link #28287
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Me having gone through some weeks back in March and April, where the Battle of Manila was commemorated online, including victims of wanton brutality and murder, hawkish men like Hashimoto and Ishihara make me puke.

I'm sure that Hashimoto warmonger was voted in because of an elderly majority wearing rose-colored glasses and longed for the days when China and Korea were vassal states, or of the 80s when the country was then an economic giant humiliating America.
Actually, he's not your usual right-wing nut. He's more of a neo-con who actually does things and, amazingly enough, doesn't glorify Imperial Japan. He's quite confrontational, insensitive, and blunt, but one thing is for certain: He's not the usual right-wing, with support from the younger people.
Old 2013-05-14, 22:01   Link #28288
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just caught up with this thread after a few days, and all I see is talk about abortion and conscription. Did I miss the discussion on the flare-up between Taiwan and the Philippines? It's already Wednesday now in Taiwan. What happened with the ultimatum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
Supposedly Philippines has apologized behind closed doors, and will be doing so again directly to the family of the dead, much to the chagrin of some of the Filipino posters in some news comment sections I read yesterday, some of which apparently wanted open war.
Taiwan freezes hiring of Philippine workers
Quote:
Taipei (May 15, Wed): Taiwan's President Ma Ying-jeou has frozen the hiring of Philippine workers to express "strong dissatisfaction" over Manila's handling of the killing of a Taiwanese fisherman, his spokeswoman said.

The 65-year-old fisherman was shot dead by Filipino coastguards last week after they said his boat had strayed into Philippine waters.

"President Ma expressed his strong dissatisfaction over the Philippines' lack of sincerity and its shifting attitude," Ms Lee Chia-fei told reporters, adding that Mr Ma had decided to recall Taipei's envoy to Manila.

Ms Lee reiterated the President's demands that Manila issue a "formal apology," compensate the victim's family, apprehend the killer and start fishing talks between the two sides soon.

"If the Philippine government cannot satisfy our side's four demands by 6pm (10am GMT) today, our government will adopt a second wave of sanctions," she said.

Taipei made the decision despite an apology by the Philippine's de facto ambassador after a closed-door meeting yesterday with Foreign Minister David Lin.

The Philippines will send special envoy Amadeo Perez to repeat his "deep regret and apology from the people of the Philippines" to the people of Taiwan and the fisherman's family, according to Basilio.

However, Taiwan's Premier Jiang Yi-huah said it was unacceptable that the apology comes from the "people of the Philippines" rather than the government as it was the coastguard that shot the fisherman.

AFP
Old 2013-05-14, 22:04   Link #28289
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
It doesn't mean you are paid to support it, but then again neither were the Germans in the 30s and 40s.
Old 2013-05-14, 22:17   Link #28290
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Then elaborate in another manner other than "right to rule as the head of state" or "survival of the fittest". You know Social Darwinism and racial supremacism are lame excuses for dominance.
o_O what the heck are you talking about?
Old 2013-05-14, 22:18   Link #28291
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
It doesn't mean you are paid to support it, but then again neither were the Germans in the 30s and 40s.
*sneeze* Godwins' rule */sneeze*
Old 2013-05-14, 22:23   Link #28292
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
*sneeze* Godwins' rule */sneeze*
Lots of Red Guards weren't paid to beat their teachers either.

Or do we have to invent a "LeoXiao's rule" for that?
Old 2013-05-14, 22:28   Link #28293
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Chinese = race
PRC = nation
CCP = political party

Ethnicity, not race, but that's a nitpick.
Old 2013-05-14, 22:46   Link #28294
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I only JUST heard the Taiwan - Philippine incident about the fisherman. Hey, I don't watch TV; I can be slow.

Anyway, it seems apology was offered. Regardless there is nothing to escalate, so things would calm down soon. The only consequences was economic, but really, Taiwan is in no position to threaten anybody.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:10   Link #28295
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Lots of Red Guards weren't paid to beat their teachers either.

Or do we have to invent a "LeoXiao's rule" for that?
Oh I don't mind, come to think of it

After all, it is not like your little finger pointing will change a i in history or a t in the future.

You can say how bad China is all you want, selective history to make it look like the worst possible gathering of people in human history, but China is not going to change one....little...bit.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:15   Link #28296
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
but China is not going to change one....little...bit.
It will change, but that is the role of the people of China. Hopefully they choose the right path.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:17   Link #28297
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Anyway, it seems apology was offered. Regardless there is nothing to escalate, so things would calm down soon.
Taiwan may beg to differ.

Recent killing of Taiwanese fisherman opens old wounds
Quote:
Taipei (May 15, Wed): The untimely death last week of a Taiwanese fisherman at the hands of Philippine coastguards has reopened old wounds of a similar seven-year-old case.

For many, it called to mind the Taiwan government's ongoing pursuit of two Philippine policemen who allegedly killed a Taiwanese fisherman and injured another in 2005.

Prosecutors investigating the case said the two culprits will remain on Taiwan's wanted list until 2044.

Officials at the Taitung District Court said yesterday that the two Philippine policemen used M14 and M16 rifles to shoot at fishing vessel Man Chun Yi of Taitung, killing the captain and harming the chief officer of the same boat.

The investigators said the incident took place 500m off Batan Island, the main island of the Batanes Islands.

Fishermen in Taiwan have intensified pressure on the government to take swift and tougher actions, including sanctions against Manila, to protect their safety in fishing operations and bring the Filipino gunmen — both past and present — to justice.

THE CHINA POST
Old 2013-05-14, 23:28   Link #28298
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
It will change, but that is the role of the people of China. Hopefully they choose the right path.
For once we agree.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:53   Link #28299
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
Chinese = race
PRC = nation
CCP = political party

Chinese language is a major part of our identity. Those who do not know poems of Li Bai (李白) or Du Fu (杜甫) can hardly be called Chinese.
Old 2013-05-14, 23:59   Link #28300
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Chinese language is a major part of our identity. Those who do not know poems of Li Bai (李白) or Du Fu (杜甫) can hardly be called Chinese.
Tell that to the current generation of SEA Chinese.

It is just an ethicity reflected on our identity cards. The sooner it is made irrelevant as personal identity, the better.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international