AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-05-18, 07:58   Link #1081
Quadratic
SIBYL salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Well I guess the jealous face can be considered a NTR face too but I don't think that is what Blaat was referring to:

I was trying to find an example in screencaps but I am not having much luck.

edit: I realize I shouldn't say definitely not because maybe Blaat does like Taichi's jealous face.
True, it's a generic facial expression (it did appear in this episode when Taichi fought the captain), but the context of Taichi making that expression during a Chihaya-Arata moment is what makes it "NTR" (and yes, 'jealous face' is probably the more correct term).
Quadratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:00   Link #1082
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Walker View Post
well that and I don't even know what an NTR face is
As I understand it, NTR is a shortened form of netorare, which means "taken away by sleeping with" - basically, cuckoldry. It's also the name for a particular genre of hentai where, yep, cuckoldry is involved. I think the idea at least in some cases is that the person being cuckolded knows about it and the focus is on their feelings of jealousy/distress.

But, for some reason it's become common for some people to use NTR to describe situations where somebody has feelings of jealousy or distress about somebody they aren't in a romantic relationship with.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:06   Link #1083
p-kun

Whoah, this episode is so intense. I cheered so hard when Mizusawa won. Being a sports anime fan, I have watched a lot of anime matches but Chihayafuru, a card game anime, is strangely the only one that could give me this much satisfaction from seeing the home team wins, something that I have been missing since Oofuri. Bravo!

Mizusawa and Fujisaki match has been nicely fast paced. The past few episodes has been superb, unlike the borefest that was the semifinal. I'm glad the anime is not dragging on the final, although I wish it shows a bit about Hokuo's match.

It should be noted that even though the match ended up with luck of draw, Taichi/Nishida managed to secure a better card (1 syllable) than Fujisaki team (2 syllables). I think we should give credit to Taichi/Nishida outplaying Fujisaki even marginally.
p-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:20   Link #1084
Blaat

I was talking about the jealous face and judging from the reaction it looks like I'm the only one who likes it. Luckily there's no accounting for tastes.
As for Kirakim's 'NTR' face I believe you're talking about the face when he forced Retro to commit his fault during the regional finals. I prefer to call that his 'pressure face' I think he uses it in the latest episode as well right after the double fault moment.
Old 2013-05-18, 08:32   Link #1085
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
I'm not as sure about this as you are. I go back and forth between this pair and Retro-kun vs. Taichi. Right now, I lean towards Retro-kun vs. Taichi for the following reasons. Reason (1) Retro-kun has been challenging Taichi for this match since they first met at the nationals. I remember there's been at least 2 times when Retro-kun told Taichi he'll win the class tournament. Reason (2) Rion's coach said that Rion has the summer to get better. I see that as giving the viewer a hint that Rion will not be in the final B match. It's too soon for her.

Regardless, I expect Taichi to be in the final match and I expect him to win. I'm inclined to think his final match will be the last match of the season. Taichi wins his A rank. Finally. Chihaya gets her first goal for the club accomplished. And the season ends.
I have to be honest -- I had totally forgotten about Retro-kun

Ever since they revealed Rion has been stuck in class B just like Taichi even though she has superior skills (depending on the circumstances), I've been convinced they would play against each other in the individual tournament. Rion vs Taichi would make for a more exciting final than Retro-kun vs Taichi imo, because Rion is an opponent Taichi has never faced before and she is someone who gave Chihaya trouble. Defeating her would bring Taichi one step closer to Chihaya, and would certainly impress her.

Speaking of Rion's coach, I was surprised she shouldered responsibility for the defeat and didn't blame any of the players. She's much nicer than I thought she was. Incidentally, she didn't say Rion had the summer to get better. She said she had to make sure they won't lose a single match next year, since she'll be the new ace of the team.

I just realized I have omitted Sumire in my predication/wish-list. Hmm, we haven't seen her play much, so it's hard to tell how good she is. I doubt we could have a Tsukuba vs Sumire final. It would pale in comparison to the Tsutomu vs Kana final anyway. At best she'll reach the semis.

Oh, and I completely forgot to ask: what's a double fault? I think it was the first time somebody committed one. Hitting two wrong cards?

Last edited by Kanon; 2013-05-18 at 08:43.
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 08:39   Link #1086
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I was talking about the jealous face and judging from the reaction it looks like I'm the only one who likes it. Luckily there's no accounting for tastes.
Which is why I edited my post because I am like maybe I am wrong and you do like that face. My mistake then!

Yeah as much as I adore Taichi I am not fond of that face or those moments at all. During those moments I want to shake him and say don't be gloomy,. Chihaya and Arata love you too.

Quote:
As for Kirakim's 'NTR' face I believe you're talking about the face when he forced Retro to commit his fault during the regional finals. I prefer to call that his 'pressure face' I think he uses it in the latest episode as well right after the double fault moment.
Ah yes that is what I was thinking of that face I love.

edit: Double Fault from Wiki

Quote:
If a player touches the wrong card in the opponent's territory and the opponent touches the correct card in the faulting player's territory, it is a double fault with a penalty of two cards.

When a player touches any card when a ghost card is read, they incur a penalty of two cards.
Old 2013-05-18, 09:07   Link #1087
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Incidentally, she didn't say Rion had the summer to get better. She said she had to make sure they won't lose a single match next year, since she'll be the new ace of the team.
You're right. I misremembered the line. The coach said "It's on you to make sure that we don't lose a single match next summer." [CR translation, time stop 19:27]

Quote:
I just realized I have omitted Sumire in my predication/wish-list. Hmm, we haven't seen her play much, so it's hard to tell how good she is. I doubt we could have a Tsukuba vs Sumire final. It would pale in comparison to the Tsutomu vs Kana final anyway. At best she'll reach the semis.
I don't think Sumire will play at all. She didn't play a single game in the tournament, right? I suppose they might let her play for the experience. But I think she's still too green psychologically to be put in that position.

Harping back to the on-going thread discussion about Taichi's commitment to karuta, correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this episode the first time Taichi has expressed in interest in the Master tournament for himself? Plus expressing a plan to continue with karuta beyond high school? I think it's safe to say that at this point, Taichi is playing karuta because he likes karuta in and of itself.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 09:11   Link #1088
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

He's always kinda said he was aiming for the Meijin title. Though as a B-class player, he can't participate in the qualifiers yet, so talking about it in any but the most general terms is premature.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 09:13   Link #1089
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

For once, Taichi got the luck he needed ;___;

I love Chihayafuru.
Old 2013-05-18, 09:18   Link #1090
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I wonder if it's the sign of a change in his luck, or it's really the last time?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 15:50   Link #1091
inisipis

What can I say about episode 19, Breathless, I was totally breathless watching the entire match.

Got to remember to breath.
inisipis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 18:45   Link #1092
Mubyoshi

Dang, what a good episode this was. I was shivering with anticipation the whole episode! Glad to see Mizusawa win.
Mubyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 19:43   Link #1093
Dop
Mmmm....

I was quite literally on the edge of my seat for the end of this match. It's amazing how this show can just make this just SO TENSE that you're just so completely on edge.

I am not ashamed to admit that I was in tears of relief when they won. I loved when Kana scolded Sumire that the game was NOT over until the reader read the second line, and even the Empress had to wipe her tears at the end.

That was pretty much this show at its best.
Dop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-18, 22:11   Link #1094
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by inisipis View Post
What can I say about episode 19, Breathless, I was totally breathless watching the entire match.

Got to remember to breath.
If Taichi hadn't reminded himself to breathe, nine-tenths of the viewership would have died from self-inflicted asphyxiation. I know I would have been one of them.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2013-05-19, 01:38   Link #1095
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post

I love Chihayafuru.
But despite he was so awesome for entire episode, Wataya only has to appear briefly and then he lost Chihaya's attention again.

Poor Taichi...

Anyway, I really enjoy this time highschool team tournament. Better than the previous one in fact. They now really grow up as a team.
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 11:12   Link #1096
hyperborealis
Lost at Sea

Amazing, wonderful episode. The title poem is #46, the card Taichi and Nishida defend in the luck of the draw climax to the match and the tournament. Here's Mostow's translation:

Like a boatman, crossing
the Strait of Yura,
whose oar-cord has snapped,
I'm lost, and know not my way
on the road of love!

The main thing to appreciate about this poem is just how inauspicious it is for Taichi. The poem describes him literally as a guy up the creek with no paddle: stranded, alone, with no means to propel himself, and who is therefore lost, and has no idea how to go forward. Of all the love poems in the Hyakunin Isshu, this is the least hopeful, verging on themes of failure and despair.

The Crunchyroll translation softens this bleakness somewhat, with its intimation that the lover merely doesn't know where love is taking him ("I do not know where this love will take me.") However, the animation during Kana's brief exposition on the poem is truer to the poem's essential futility: it shows us a solitary man standing uselessly in his boat, becalmed, unable to go anywhere at all. It is this inauspiciousness Kana remarks on when she says, "Of all the cards, this is the one the Prez gets..."

Of course, Taichi does turn the situation around, at least on the tatami. He does so even though he himself comes dangerously close to despair, in that remarkable sililoquy where he asks himself, "Is everything I do futile?" Commentators sometimes read the cards against Taichi, but here, very clearly, the show proves that despite their sometimes negative implications, Taichi can and does make his own path to success.

There has been an interesting conversation, both here and elsewhere, on how Taichi accomplishes this. What I find striking and different is Taichi's extreme passion in the episode, first when he is screaming inside for his card to be read, and then later when he makes his prayer to God. I don't think we have seen Taichi like this before, where he is completely emotionally invested in the turns of the match. Usually he is at an intellectual remove, assessing the match and himself with a degree of dispassion. But here he really has his whole heart on the line. I wonder if that is not somehow an important factor in his making his luck change for the better.

Taichi's emotional involvement is part of what Tsutomu means when he notices that "Mashima is trying to change!" Perhaps the anime is showing that only when Taichi is willing to take risks and to put himself on the line that he can look forward to good luck and success.

---

I hope everyone noticed the whole unspoken conversation between Taichi and Nishida about synchronizing their cards. Taichi opens it, when he begins to announce the cards he is passing, after Emoru's double fault. Nishida perks up when he hears this, to tell us he is getting Taichi's message, that they need to be thinking about a possible luck of the draw conclusion. Then, after Chihaya wins her match, Nishida announces he's sending #55 over. That's Nishida telling Taichi, let's end up with #55 as Fujisaki's last card. Then, two cards later, after Taichi takes #35, he announces that he's moving #46 on his side. This is to tell Nishida, #46 is the one we are going to end up with.

It's very beautifully done, and shows Suetsugu's brilliance in telling a technical karuta story. In turn, this kuruta story displays excellent teamwork in action, and the close personal connection between Taichi and Nishida, where they both pick up on what the other is doing. It's also very curiously a victory for Hokuo, who showed Mizusawa how to set this kind of outcome up in the first place. Afterwards, the animation shows us Hokuo's happy and satisfied faces--they understand that they won as well. Likewise, we viewers understand that Mizusawa's loss to Hokuo was in fact a decisive step forward to their eventual victory. Sometimes losing is the way to win...

Suetsugu gives us a karuta story, but this unabashedly technical story is all about teamwork, character relationships, and even philosphical reflections on the value of loss and the shared nature of victory in sports, but ultimately of course in life. Chihayafuru is remarkably deep, and rich, if you are willing to listen to what Suetsugu is teaching us.

-----

The episode conclusion is so strange. Chihaya doesn't even say hello to Arata, but just launches in on scolding him for preferring indvidual to team play. It is as if the whole day's series of matches has been nothing but an interlude to the argument they began the night before in that phone conversation.

The team victory accomplishes the life goal she and Arata had set as kids to become the best in the world at karuta, but even in this moment of triumph, Chihaya is in tears. She cannot accept being estranged from Arata on this crucial issue.

Arata wisely says nothing--what can he say? Chihaya is right, and he not only knows it, but agrees with her.

Did anyone understand why the animation offered two close-ups on Taichi during this altercation? With the rest of Mizusawa team behind him, visually he wants to fade into the team. Perhaps the closeups mean to include him in the shared dream that Chihaya is invoking at this moment? On the other hand, does he even know about this dream? He wasn't there when Arata and Chihaya had that foundational conversation. Perhaps the close-ups register his surprise at learning of Chihaya and Arata's argument, and of the shared dream itself?

A Blossoming Flower in the Snowy Winter
hyperborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 15:57   Link #1097
Folenfant
Banned

Definitely the strongest episode of the season. Mizusawa definitely earned that victory so its good to see them being allowed to have it. I also found their opponents more believeable as skilles high tier opponents compared to the all girls school from the semis and especially chihayas opponent who had an advantage but not in terms of skill and as expected came up short for it. By comparison I just did not buy Megumu's character in the slightest and it kind of sunk the semis arc for it a little. My only apprehension going forward is that we might see more of that character in the individual matches where hopefully she is either handled better and shown to have grown up or dispatched quickly.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 06:43   Link #1098
andromeda0201

Despite already knowing the story, watching this episode still brought tears to my eyes.

Taichi has really grown as a character to me since Season 1. The scene of the boatman staring helplessly down at his oar and him thinking "is whatever I do futile?" was so ironic.
I'm really happy that he won this round considering how the karuta no kamisama seems to take pleasure toying with his luck.
andromeda0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-20, 12:21   Link #1099
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

If Chihaya's injury does put her out of the individual tournament, that will make two seasons in a row that she isn't at the center of the action in the show's closing episodes. That's a very strange thing to do with your main character. True, it does give the other characters a chance to develop, but it's still strange.
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 19:03   Link #1100
LKK

Could I have some music help, please? I'm trying to find the name of the music that plays when Mizusawa or one of its players experiences a power-up (for lack of a better term). It's a mix of disco & martial styles. Reminds me of music from the old Starblazers / Space Cruiser Yamato series. It's often played when the team or a player is at the low point and steels himself for a fight to the top. It's usually a turning point scene. The music reflects this rising spirit. Does anyone know the name of this piece?

Tags
cards, josei, karuta, sports