AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Old 2013-04-16, 10:15   Link #3781
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Won't most of their focus be on Elder Scrolls Online for a long time now anyway? (not that I approve of).

I know it's a different studio developing the MMO but I'm pretty sure Bethesda won't publish another single player ES game while an MMO of the same franchise is under development or still running. Skyrim might be the last (real) Elder Scrolls for an even longer time than it took from one ES to another before.

Nevertheless, the outlook obviously isn't that bad, though. There's still much that can be done with Skyrim through modding, especially when you look at what great projects Oblivion already spawned.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 11:00   Link #3782
sikvod00

Hey, does anyone watch any YouTube let's plays? I'm normally not a fan, however I really enjoy watching Skyrim playthroughs of first timers because of their reactions to how open-ended, wacky, glitchy, and random the game can be. It really is hilarious! Obviously the experience varies depending on who you are watching, but it's usually the ones not used to RPG adventures and Oblivion-type games. Steve Schwindt comes to mind... he was so terrible at the game.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-16, 12:17   Link #3783
saravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Given the Thalmor thing, I imagine they're saving that for a future game. The next entry in the single player series may very well be set in the Summerset Isle.
I'd love to see a mix of any of the southern lands used in the next game. Elsweyr and Valenwood would be easiest, being right smack dab next to each other and would provide a nice variety to exploration; dry desert lands to the east and lush forests to the west. Also, if the Tamriel map is anything to go by, those two lands combined are roughly the same size as Skyrim. With that said, I would be all in favor of using ALL of the southern lands, Summerset, Valenwood, Elsweyr, and Blackmarsh, but that might be a rather huge undertaking. They could also decide to leave Tamriel and hit some of the other continents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Won't most of their focus be on Elder Scrolls Online for a long time now anyway? (not that I approve of).

I know it's a different studio developing the MMO but I'm pretty sure Bethesda won't publish another single player ES game while an MMO of the same franchise is under development or still running. Skyrim might be the last (real) Elder Scrolls for an even longer time than it took from one ES to another before.
If released timely another ES game released after ESO would help market ESO as it would maintain public interest in the ES franchise. Current interest in the MMO is due in large part because its hot off the heals of Skyrim. Once the initial launch excitement of ESO wears down, releasing another ES game could rekindle that excitement.
Old 2013-04-16, 13:22   Link #3784
sa547
*Author

Quote:
I'd love to see a mix of any of the southern lands used in the next game. Elsweyr and Valenwood would be easiest, being right smack dab next to each other and would provide a nice variety to exploration; dry desert lands to the east and lush forests to the west. Also, if the Tamriel map is anything to go by, those two lands combined are roughly the same size as Skyrim. With that said, I would be all in favor of using ALL of the southern lands, Summerset, Valenwood, Elsweyr, and Blackmarsh, but that might be a rather huge undertaking. They could also decide to leave Tamriel and hit some of the other continents.
Well, I just came back from playing, and I somehow managed to punch through the supposed invisible wall that normally prevented me from venturing far off the map, gone south and much to my astonishment, there was a mock-up of the White-Gold Tower, smack in the middle of what would have been Cyrodiil. I told myself that if Skyrim's grid system could be expanded further in the near future, it's not impossible to see that there's the potential to trick out and optimize the game engine and include all of Tamriel.

I hope that the decision Beth made should allow Skyrim to age for a while before coming back to expand it into a world much bigger than, say, San Andreas.
Old 2013-04-16, 13:26   Link #3785
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I always figured that having the entire Tamriel landmass in Skyrim was preparation for TESO.
Old 2013-04-16, 14:12   Link #3786
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
I always figured that having the entire Tamriel landmass in Skyrim was preparation for TESO.
I find it ironic that all Elder Scroll titles have modders are dreamers who wanted ALL of Tameriel, but it has never been achieved after Arena.
ArchmageXin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-18, 18:36   Link #3787
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Old 2013-04-19, 02:34   Link #3788
bigdeal000
malefic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Yeeeeeeeeees, I've been waiting for this. FINALLY
Old 2013-04-19, 02:54   Link #3789
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Why is it rated 18?
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 02:58   Link #3790
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Hey, does anyone watch any YouTube let's plays? I'm normally not a fan, however I really enjoy watching Skyrim playthroughs of first timers because of their reactions to how open-ended, wacky, glitchy, and random the game can be. It really is hilarious! Obviously the experience varies depending on who you are watching, but it's usually the ones not used to RPG adventures and Oblivion-type games. Steve Schwindt comes to mind... he was so terrible at the game.
ESPECIALLY Japanese players. I love watching a NicoNico player enjoying a good Western game. But only good games; any non-A+ titles tend to be unable to jump the cultural gap.

Oblivion was the title that introduced most Japanese to the TES franchise. I remember a memorable player who kept treating Oblivion like a Pokemon game, by playing as a pure Summoner. He finished it too; and gave commentary of the final battle between Dagon and the Dragon like it is a Pokemon match.
Old 2013-04-19, 05:07   Link #3791
Hooves
♣~Sleepy~♣
*Author

Send a message via Skype™ to Hooves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Oblivion was the title that introduced most Japanese to the TES franchise. I remember a memorable player who kept treating Oblivion like a Pokemon game, by playing as a pure Summoner. He finished it too; and gave commentary of the final battle between Dagon and the Dragon like it is a Pokemon match.
Does this person have it on youtube or anything? I would definitely love to see this.
Hooves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-19, 07:58   Link #3792
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Does this person have it on youtube or anything? I would definitely love to see this.
You can watch it right here. But obviously untranslated.
NicoNico
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2013-04-19, 15:43   Link #3793
barcode120x
NS

Quote:
Why is it rated 18?
Probably because of some of the adult material mods provide.
Old 2013-04-19, 20:40   Link #3794
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Why is it rated 18?
Basically, it's 18 and up because (1) decapitation (2) blood (3) some mild swearing (4) mid-range gore.

There are some custom mods out there that pushes beyond that limit, which would've earned the game an AO/Z rating (ESRB's Adult Only / CERO's Z).
Old 2013-05-21, 23:02   Link #3795
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

I had to restart the game a few of times. I'm thinking of playing the game but not investing a lot of time into it like I did in the past. It is the best way to play the game (take your time and explore and do many quests and dungeons), but playing the game this way is very time consuming and after investing so much time into the game only to have restarted a few times...I just don't want to clock in another couple or few hundred hours into this game. After last restarting, I got to level 3 and then put the game down for months.

I never beat the main questline yet. I'm thinking of picking up the game again and this time actually beating the main questline. I'd like to beat the main questline, the companions questline, and I think I'll side with the imperials and do that questline. I'll go around looking for dragon walls and do dungeons for those, and I'll do some quests, but not a large percentage of them. I'll probably do quests mainly in the holds that have the following capitals: Whiterun, Falkreath, Riften, Solitude, and Markarth. I find the swampy region and the snowy places to not be all that interesting.

So I have a question. Do I need to be high level to beat Alduin? Is he really hard? The thing is, I'm going to play a warrior character, but I won't have high grade weapons and armor. I'm going to play a female nord who wears chainmail armor (from a mod). This armor isn't too effective, either. I'll use a steel shield and I'll go for skyforge steel weapons as soon as I can. Probably just mostly use a skyforge steel sword, maybe use a skyforge steel mace (from a mod) to mix things up.

So with a kinda weak armor and weapons that aren't too powerful, will Alduin be really hard for me, or should I be able to defeat him with a moderately placed level? I don't think I'll get to too high of a level and I won't power level. Maybe I'll be fine if I put the difficulty on easy for him? I'd rather do that if I save him for last and find him too hard and don't want to raise several levels just to have the health to beat him. I plan to play the game on normal since my weapons and armor are only mid-range or mid-low range.
Old 2013-05-21, 23:09   Link #3796
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, since it's all stats, the armor chosen doesn't really matter eventually--it all caps out at a point, so with Fortify Smithing enchantments and potions, you can make hide armor that's as protective as Daedric. Same deal with weapons.

From what I saw of my brother's game, though, dragons get pitifully easy once you start maxing your level and damage capabilities; I've seen him take one out in a few shots, as his dragons are unmodded (whereas mine have Deadly Dragons, ASIS, and for a while DCO working on them). I can't imagine an unmodded Alduin would fare much better unless you ramp up the difficulty or mod him.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2013-05-22 at 00:08.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-21, 23:17   Link #3797
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
I can't imagine an unmodded Alduin would fare much better unless you ramp up the difficulty or mod him.
The problem with Alduin, and I don't this has EVER been fixed even with Deadly Dragons, is that when you fight him in the final battle he always gets defaulted to his "vanilla" stats, including his rather unimpressive 3k hp. This means that unless you pause the battle and give him an HP boost, he'll go down to a maxed out character (ESPECIALLY if you've gotten a fully-upgraded weapon -- I finished mine with a Skyforged Steel longsword for crying out loud) in seconds.
Old 2013-05-22, 00:08   Link #3798
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I wouldn't know; I've never gotten that far! *laughs, then cries a bit*

Dragon Combat Overhaul is entirely script-based, so I imagine that would toughen Alduin up a ways, but the latest version bugs out the beginning of the game concerning him (flies into a mountain instead of grabbing that poor schmuck), and the author is touchy as hell, so... dunno when the next version will be up or even if it'll fix that issue.
Old 2013-05-22, 00:35   Link #3799
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Dragon Combat Overhaul is entirely script-based, so I imagine that would toughen Alduin up a ways, but the latest version bugs out the beginning of the game concerning him (flies into a mountain instead of grabbing that poor schmuck), and the author is touchy as hell, so... dunno when the next version will be up or even if it'll fix that issue.
If you use the Creation Kit, you'll see that there are actually at least FOUR different Alduins, all tied to a different part of the game (and as such scripted differently) but sharing the same template. It's this base template that's the problem, as the stats always revert to it for the final battle (the other versions are all immortal anyway).

I tried buffing up Alduin once by adding additional properties to Alduin (like resistances and fast healing and additional HP) via this "base" stat template, but no dice. Once the final battle happens, he's back to his piddling 3k-ish hp rather than the 25000 hp I gave him.
Old 2013-05-22, 01:11   Link #3800
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Well, DCO applies the adjustments via independent scripting, so it's compatible with any dragon mod, and thus affects them all--it's not statistic edits, but rather capabilities. A dragon swooping on the player will knock their ass flat, a dragon landing on top of them will hurl them, so on and so forth.

Tags
bethesda, elder scrolls, rpg, skyrim