AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-22, 15:50   Link #61
philip72
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pekopon
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
so why can't Oda get the same treatment? It might be a bit painful, but I otherwise wouldn't mind the wait, personally.
Because unlike other mangaka, every stroke of Oda's pen on paper creates a thousand dollars. Each finished page subsidizes an editors annual wage.

The man is the sole reason why, unlike every other manga weekly out there, Jump is turning a profit. It's a meme in the industry to call Jump's Shueisha Jimbocho Building in Tokyo the One Piece Building. Each volume of One Piece now outsells the rest of the top 50 mangas, combined. One Piece volumes outsell even Harry Potter. At 280 million volumes and counting, as a whole, it's one of the best selling stories, ever, worldwide.
Oda now IS Japanese publishing.

So Oda kicking back his heels isn't like a normal mangaka or author taking a break. In a sense it's like if Apple shut down when Jobs got sick, or government stopping when the president is on vacation.
A year without Oda would mean curtains for Jump as he's currently their license to print money. It wouldn't be painful, it would be catastrophic.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 17:50   Link #62
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Foxglove
Age: 30
I wish Oda a speedy recovery, and not just for the fact I love One Piece but because being sick sucks
__________________
I'm praying for a miracle
But I won't hold my breath
I never said I was perfect
But can you take me home?
Sakuranbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:02   Link #63
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 22
good recovery
yes
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 20:16   Link #64
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Because unlike other mangaka, every stroke of Oda's pen on paper creates a thousand dollars. Each finished page subsidizes an editors annual wage.

The man is the sole reason why, unlike every other manga weekly out there, Jump is turning a profit. It's a meme in the industry to call Jump's Shueisha Jimbocho Building in Tokyo the One Piece Building. Each volume of One Piece now outsells the rest of the top 50 mangas, combined. One Piece volumes outsell even Harry Potter. At 280 million volumes and counting, as a whole, it's one of the best selling stories, ever, worldwide.
Oda now IS Japanese publishing.

So Oda kicking back his heels isn't like a normal mangaka or author taking a break. In a sense it's like if Apple shut down when Jobs got sick, or government stopping when the president is on vacation.
A year without Oda would mean curtains for Jump as he's currently their license to print money. It wouldn't be painful, it would be catastrophic.


Yes, yes, I got all that. However, the thing is that despite all the revenue Oda brings to his parent company, he's still, ya know, one man, not a robot. Dude's gotta have some rest sometime. His devotion to his work is admirable, that's for certain, but I just can't see any good coming out of literally working himself to death. I'm not championing him going on a Togashi-length hiatus (heaven forbid if he walks down that path), but I see no reason why giving him a little extra time off (as well as a revised work schedule that allows him more than 2-3 hours of sleep) wouldn't go amiss.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-22, 22:04   Link #65
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Where magic is real
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
After finally managing to catch up to the One Piece manga and having burned through tons of chapters at a time in order to do so... it's going to feel strange to not have any One Piece chapters to read for a while. But Oda more than deserves a ton of time off and to get well.

On the topic of mangakas and their work schedule... according to a chart I once saw, a regular weekly mangaka has an insane enough schedule as it is, between drawing up chapters and speaking with editors, essentially only getting a few hours of sleep a week. But for someone of Oda's stature, that schedule has to be 100x as insane (in fact, I often wonder how some of the big-name ones don't end up dead from overwork sometimes)
__________________
Gifted...or Cursed?

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:03   Link #66
golgo13
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: cali
Hope Oda will get well.

Any theories on the fairies? Also, I wonder if there is a DF power being the puppets being "alive", perhaps Law?
golgo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 09:56   Link #67
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Inside your heart...
Age: 25
Send a message via Skype™ to Poetic Justice
Any theories on who is on Thousand Sunny? I'm guessing more rebels of the island.
__________________
http://img217.imageshack.us/i/clipboard01vt.jpg
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-24, 16:40   Link #68
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
^Personally, I'm thinking that our mystery stowaways are either those supposed "fairies" that exist on the island, or else more of those toy people (perhaps they could even be the friends/allies of the one=legged puppet dude).


Though speaking of fairies, I am rather curious about the identity of that sword thief.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 03:57   Link #69
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Because unlike other mangaka, every stroke of Oda's pen on paper creates a thousand dollars. Each finished page subsidizes an editors annual wage.

The man is the sole reason why, unlike every other manga weekly out there, Jump is turning a profit. It's a meme in the industry to call Jump's Shueisha Jimbocho Building in Tokyo the One Piece Building. Each volume of One Piece now outsells the rest of the top 50 mangas, combined. One Piece volumes outsell even Harry Potter. At 280 million volumes and counting, as a whole, it's one of the best selling stories, ever, worldwide.
Oda now IS Japanese publishing.

So Oda kicking back his heels isn't like a normal mangaka or author taking a break. In a sense it's like if Apple shut down when Jobs got sick, or government stopping when the president is on vacation.
A year without Oda would mean curtains for Jump as he's currently their license to print money. It wouldn't be painful, it would be catastrophic.
What you say is true.
It's kinda scary that the fate of the industry hinges on one man right now.
The collapse of OP as a franchise would cause a domino effect affecting the entire entertaining industry in Japan, from publishing, television, to films.
Heck, in just the manga industry alone, One Piece sells more than the top six to eight titles combined.

However, I think they put way too much on his plate.
This is a good time for shuueisha to reconsider throwing so much work at Oda outside of the manga. Precisely because his well-being is perhaps their most important asset currently, they should do everything they can to keep the guy fresh, healthy, and in top spirit to continue.

No more movies, Oda. I'm sure Toei doesn't like that considering OP films with Oda on the team sells far, FAR better than OP movies they make on their own, but it's just way too much freakin' work for a weekly artist to take up.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 05:51   Link #70
randomlex
In the eye of the storm
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
What you say is true.
It's kinda scary that the fate of the industry hinges on one man right now.
The collapse of OP as a franchise would cause a domino effect affecting the entire entertaining industry in Japan, from publishing, television, to films.
Heck, in just the manga industry alone, One Piece sells more than the top six to eight titles combined.

However, I think they put way too much on his plate.
This is a good time for shuueisha to reconsider throwing so much work at Oda outside of the manga. Precisely because his well-being is perhaps their most important asset currently, they should do everything they can to keep the guy fresh, healthy, and in top spirit to continue.

No more movies, Oda. I'm sure Toei doesn't like that considering OP films with Oda on the team sells far, FAR better than OP movies they make on their own, but it's just way too much freakin' work for a weekly artist to take up.
I knew One Piece is selling better than the other mangas, but better than the other top 6 combined? That's pretty insane (and awesome)!

Makes me even more puzzled by the lackluster sales in other countries - a lot of countries haven't even licensed OP, and a lot of them dropped it after a short while...
randomlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 11:49   Link #71
philip72
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pekopon
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Yes, yes, I got all that. However, the thing is that despite all the revenue Oda brings to his parent company, he's still, ya know, one man, not a robot.
The thing is that Oda doesn't have to continue with his current work load.

Oda is obviously an obsessive/compulsive (you'd have to be at his alleged pace), and he dislikes relinquishing too much control; but with the kind of scratch he's pulling in he could easily afford a team of S-level art forgers and a mind reader for assistants.
Instead of insisting on drawing and inking everything that moves, he could sketch out the primary characters and leave the rest to highly paid, ultra-assistants that have studied his work like monks reading scripture.
Heck, he could afford to hire Banksy or reanimate Michelangelo, and still have enough moolah to continue his new hobby of making kids with his hot wife on a big pile of money.

Quote:
I'm not championing him going on a Togashi-length hiatus (heaven forbid if he walks down that path), but I see no reason why giving him a little extra time off (as well as a revised work schedule that allows him more than 2-3 hours of sleep) wouldn't go amiss.....
I sometimes wonder if Oda's 2-3 hours of sleep is perhaps a wee bit exaggerated and may in fact be nearer to eight, with plenty of time for supper, a bath and a little TV.
Mangaka are a little like scanlators (or every other single worker in the world), who routinely embellish the amount of elbow grease actually put into their product. I've been scanlating for a few years and it's largely a cakewalk, at least compared to real work, but to hear my fellow scanlators talk about it, you'd think we were pouring concrete or roofing. I also worked as a assistant at a graphic arts firm for a few years and when you heard the artists talking about the herculean effort put into their pieces, you wondered who that was then that was sitting on the benches outside for hours smoking and drinking coffee.

I do believe that Oda is a workaholic, but I'm also pretty sure he works at a manageable level that may involve a little more R&R than his editors imply.
philip72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 13:55   Link #72
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
2-3 hours thing was when he was working on the movie as well as serialization.

and

Quote:
Mangaka are a little like scanlators.
LOL no. Not at all.
That totally underestimates the work load of weekly mangaka, it is no joke.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 13:59   Link #73
SilverSyko
The Anti-Otaku
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Age: 23
Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSyko
Just out of curiosity aohige, do you know how many assistants Oda has working with him right now if any at all?
__________________
SilverSyko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 16:27   Link #74
Blackbeard D. Kuma
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I'm actually inclined to agree with philip72 in that Oda's work schedule may be exaggerated. I thought that as of recently Oda only slept 3 hours a night, but now Aohige is saying that was during the production of film Z and weekly serialization. That means that his work schedule has gotten more manageable as of late. He works hard no doubt, but I sense some embellishment into these claims.
__________________
A new age of piracy is at hand, and emperor Blackbeard is at the helm of it.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 22:24   Link #75
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Just out of curiosity aohige, do you know how many assistants Oda has working with him right now if any at all?
Dunno how many, but he does have assistants. I doubt any more or less than average, probably half a dozen or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
I'm actually inclined to agree with philip72 in that Oda's work schedule may be exaggerated. I thought that as of recently Oda only slept 3 hours a night, but now Aohige is saying that was during the production of film Z and weekly serialization. That means that his work schedule has gotten more manageable as of late. He works hard no doubt, but I sense some embellishment into these claims.
I'm sure it's manageable now, but he continues to do more outside work than what's expected of a mangaka.
And that's exactly why I think Shuueisha should rethink about lending him to Toei again.
The problem with One Piece is, the franchise relies on Oda himself's work too much - there's money gained when he's involved, so it's a tug-of-war.

Weekly serialization is the cream of the crop in manga field.
Most mangaka cannot even manage the workload on weekly basis, hell, some can't even on monthly basis.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 01:07   Link #76
paradox13
zzz
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Age: 23
Send a message via MSN to paradox13
I don't think its possible for humans to operate or function if they are only sleeping 3 hours a night on a regular basis. Not even investment bankers or startup founders do that.
__________________
Signature stolen by a horde of carnivorous bunnies. It is an unscientifically proven fact that they are attracted to signatures which break the signature rules.
paradox13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 11:46   Link #77
The Small One
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox13 View Post
I don't think its possible for humans to operate or function if they are only sleeping 3 hours a night on a regular basis.
Depends. Sleeping habits are different for different cultures.
I've read that some cultures don't have a long sleep at night, but instead take several short naps during the whole day.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 18:55   Link #78
marvelB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Well, whether the news of his work hours are an exaggeration or not, I think it's pretty clear that Oda DOES tend to push himself quite a bit at some points, particularly when he's involved in projects like the movies. I remember back when Strong World came out he was juggling between stuff like interviews, making promotional art for the movie, drawing OP-related covers for different magazines aside from Jump, etc. So at the very least, I agree with Aohige that Oda's bosses should lighten his workload a tad, just to give the man a bit more breathing space....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-28, 23:58   Link #79
ronin myael
lost ronin
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: in the recesses of my convoluted mind...
the work of a mangaka is no joke, especially that of a weekly artist. the manga bakuman tells it all. oda is probably the most active manga artist ever! he continuously works to promote his series that's why one piece is the most beloved franchise in japan today. i guess he is kinda like luffy, he's always overreaching, always trying for the impossible just to see if it's possible. get well soon odacchi! hope you get the rest you need, we'll wait patiently until you are well enough to continue the manga.
__________________
"Sometimes you wake up. Sometimes the fall kills you. And sometimes, when you fall, you fly."~ Neil Gaiman (The Sandman)
ronin myael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 16:43   Link #80
Lemongrab
Lemon Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Castle Lemongrab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Any theories on who is on Thousand Sunny? I'm guessing more rebels of the island.
I have a feeling it's going to end up being the little girl from Doflamingo's crew who's on the Sunny. It'd make things pretty interesting if he sent her to gain the trust of those on the ship without them knowing who she is..
__________________
"Hold tight your buns, if buns you do hold dear. For time has come to wake and run and not give way to fear!"
Lemongrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.