AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-23, 13:23   Link #421
larethian
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Komine, when will you die?
__________________
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 13:33   Link #422
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuelGundam2099 View Post
Well I just watched the new episode. Why couldn't we have an episode like this sooner? This battle was awesome as hell and it allowed the main five to fully demonstrate all of their weapons (save Purple 2.... Does it even have weapons?). I have to admit the intelligence displayed on both sides made it very interesting, to think I thought this series was the least good of the three mecha series airing right now.
Yeah. I used to put Majestic Prince way behind Valvrave and Gargantia.... but this episode just showed how that isn't quite so. Majestic Prince has definitely shown more mecha-qualities than Valvrave and Gargantia so far. That space battle is exactly what I'm looking for in a mech anime.

Speaking of this episode
Spoiler for Spoilers for Episode 8:
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:31   Link #423
Gundamx
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
it look the useless commander been show he useless he is in live...
+
why he shot main cannon without waiting for it to completely recharge?
whole battle happened because he was the plan his assistance they put...
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:31   Link #424
Haak
CAKE!
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: UK
Age: 23
The show's direction reminded me a lot of the Gundam Seed episodes that would have full episodes of gripping fights but this was even better thanks to some stellar animation and lack of constant flashbacks. This was an all round great episode from start to finish. The only problem I had with it was the ridiculously inept commander.
__________________
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:38   Link #425
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
In interesting battle episode. I liked it for the most part, however it was a little hard to follow since I couldn't quite see what was going on. They seemed to also be replaying a lot of the same footage from this and episode one, so I think the battle animation was a little lazy in that regard. It was an okay battle as far as space warfare goes, however I have to say while it had nice spectacle, it failed in the tension department.

We see that the Fail 5 are beginning to get a little bit of footing as a team, however I think they still have a long way to go as when Izuru leaves, they fall apart again, and Asagi has to step it up as second-in-command.

The Wugaru are actually more interesting than the Earth forces at this time and I wished we could have seen more of them. The Earth Forces in all honesty are just cannon fodder at this point. I have no idea why they are even around. If the Fail 5 mechs are so OP and can pretty much do everything on their own, why do they even have the rest of the military? All they do is get slaughtered. At least in Gundam, the other non-mecha forces actually have weight in the battle and support the MC fighters. These forces seem to do nothing other than get killed. (And honestly with the COs they have in charge, I can see why...)

And yet for some reason, despite all that background killing, I felt no real gravity for this battle. I felt there was really nothing much at stake. I think this is mainly because none of the battle really had any affect on the main cast, neither they (nor surprisingly Team Doberman) were in any real danger and I never for a second doubted any of them were going to make it. I think that's going to be MJP's next hurtle in trying to get us to care about these characters. Sure we might be getting familiar with their antics, but if you don't give us any real danger to put them to the test, some real consequences to realize, this show's going to always just miss the mark.

The duel between Jiart and Izuru was nice to see and solidifies them as rivals. I was wondering why Izaru specifically was ordered to take the battle away from the main fight and have the two fight one-on-one? I really hope it was more than just the writers saying to themselves "we must have the rivals 1-on-1 duel trope somewhere! But how are we going to get the two alone? I know, let's just say he was ordered to do it!" Because that's just sloppy and they should know better.

Izuru has seen Jiart for the first time and sees that he's indeed human in appearance and resembles the girl he met a few episodes ago. I thought the two meeting for the first time was interesting since Jiart seemed to recognize him before flying away. I wonder if that was intentional?

Well next episode appears to be the aftermath episode, and Izuru meets Theoria again. How will he react to her now that he suspects her to be alien as well?

As for this episode, I give this an 7.95/10.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 14:57   Link #426
Nvis
Grumpy Senior
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
What was the point in using the "giant laser"(Dr. Evil voice) on that rock?
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 15:03   Link #427
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
I honestly thought that Majestic Prince was the second most promising title from the mecha trio we had this season, going just by the early episodes. I liked Gargantia slightly more as a show (and still do) but it's only by a hair. I still don't think it's a good idea to compare them just due to the fact they fall under the label of mecha, since each one is trying to do it's own thing and I think it's best to judge them on how well they succeed (or fail ...) in what they are aiming towards.

I found episode 8 to be really engaging, not only due to the excellent action (major kudos to Studio Orange, they are really doing fantastic work here) but also to how it manages to showcase a lot of those small moments that MJPR had highlighted in the past episodes. I liked the fact that we had Kei worrying about what her crew would think if she fails (building up from the previous episode where it was focused on how team rabbit was finding themselves building up their bonds with their crew and considering them their family now) and we see Asagi being more accustomed to the leadership role and doing well enough after his many stumbles along that road. It's hard to believe that the guy who used to screw up during practice in episode 1 and couldn't do a successful docking can now do so with little issue (he still panics, but he's clearly more in charge of his nerves than before).

Tamaki still makes me laugh in how she just does her own thing and it somehow manages to work out (I chuckled when Izuru was giving commands and he just told her to do whatever she wanted ). Suruga is still the only member of the team I'm not really feeling so far, but I still like his interaction with his crew. Overall though it's clear that all the character driven had managed to do wonders in this episode and that without them we wouldn't have had this episode manage to achieve the same effect it did (to answer DuelGundam's question).

I really look forward to seeing where the show goes from now, since each side seems to have realised what their enemies looked like and the Earth Forces are able to hold their own reasonably well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Komine, when will you die?
His time will come

Honestly, I'm just amazed at how stupidly arrogant this man is. Last episode was him publicly revealing the entire operation and their strategy (all what was left was him saying what the colour of underwear everyone will be wearing on the day) and now this episode we see him bringing in the press only for that to backfire by having them all be there when he has his meltdown moment. I seriously don't think he has much hope of seeing the end of the series. Yeesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
And yet for some reason, despite all that background killing, I felt no real gravity for this battle. I felt there was really nothing much at stake. I think this is mainly because none of the battle really had any affect on the main cast, neither they (nor surprisingly Team Doberman) were in any real danger and I never for a second doubted any of them were going to make it. I think that's going to be MJP's next hurtle in trying to get us to care about these characters. Sure we might be getting familiar with their antics, but if you don't give us any real danger to put them to the test, some real consequences to realize, this show's going to always just miss the mark
I sort of get what you are saying in regards to the lack of tension and actual danger in this battle (though I disagree on that front, since even if at this point in time there wasn't any danger in regards to the cast's well-being, I felt it was very engaging) but at this point, after getting to know the cast for 7 episodes prior and having them go throughout all of those character-centric episode where we learn about them and their situation and watching grow as a team, I can't help but care about them and what happens to them at this point. As far as I see it, MJPR has no hurdles when it comes to creating an attachment to it's cast if it continues doing what it did in the past.
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 15:07   Link #428
Puu
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
I definitely care more about MJP's characters than I do Valvrave's .......... They're just so amusing to watch. Even Team Doberman, with the glimpses of their bickering, is rather endearing.

If anything, the only thing that really makes me at this show would be the Walgaru's character designs. They seem more like something from a Fantasy anime... I guess it could be a throwback to all those old mecha anime, though, that have the same kind of designs for the "alien" race.
Puu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 15:19   Link #429
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Spoiler for Ep. 8:

Honestly, that's my idea too, or at least that Izuru might be Wulgaru himself or at least part-Wulgaru. It didn't seem as if Jiart was surprised at getting hurt, but more so by Izuru himself. In fact, he intentionally guided his cockpit pod thing outside of his mech to get a closer look at Izuru in which he had a look of surprised recognition before going back into his mech again and then flying off after saying a line about the two meeting again.

I actually have a crazy theory I just came up with after watching this episode. What if ALL of the Fail 5 are part-Wulgaru? What if when they supposedly "genetically-enhanced" them, Simon, Theoria, and their secret group, whatever it is, combined human and Wulgaru genetics and therefore creating human hybrids that are able to pilot the JURIA systems which are based on Wulgaru tech? It would explain why they, in particular are the only ones who are able to pilot the mechs.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 15:27   Link #430
Key Board
Donut
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
should the loser five still be called the loser five squadron?

It seems they are improving like crazy..

except for Tamaki who is still a dojiko that crashes into things
__________________

-- My problem with most osananajimi archetypes
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 15:42   Link #431
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade334 View Post
Well, Asagi IS the eldest of them all so he isn't exactly a hopeless tactician. The HUGE problem is the the team's ability to actually work as a team and CONTINUE to do so for the duration of the entire battle. Just look at how Tamaki kept cutting their lines of fire... *sigh*

Spoiler:
Probably because Izuru keeps going on about being a hero and then just runs off into the thick of the fight which forces his team to go after him. It's getting extremely annoying.

He's literally the Leroy Jenkins and in no way should he be the team leader. He's literally a reckless dog. All they should do is go, "Ok Izuru the enemy is there, go and have fun, we'll take of this side here"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 16:00   Link #432
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
should the loser five still be called the loser five squadron?

It seems they are improving like crazy..
They were always this good, just that their poor team work had hampered their grades and crippled their individual results.

Once they managed to be more of a team, they got to be more able to do what their good at without hindering each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
except for Tamaki who is still a dojiko that crashes into things
At least she crashes into the right targets (most of the time ...)
__________________
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 16:04   Link #433
Horse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
All they should do is go, "Ok Izuru the enemy is there, go and have fun, we'll take of this side here"
Uh... but that's exactly what happened in this episode? PS. Another great episode. The CG work continues to impress, we've come a long way since Vandread.
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 16:39   Link #434
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post

I sort of get what you are saying in regards to the lack of tension and actual danger in this battle (though I disagree on that front, since even if at this point in time there wasn't any danger in regards to the cast's well-being, I felt it was very engaging) but at this point, after getting to know the cast for 7 episodes prior and having them go throughout all of those character-centric episode where we learn about them and their situation and watching grow as a team, I can't help but care about them and what happens to them at this point. As far as I see it, MJPR has no hurdles when it comes to creating an attachment to it's cast if it continues doing what it did in the past.
Well, see I'm one of those doubters from this show's start. I have been sticking with it purely because it's a mecha and I wanted to see if it got better, but in the beginning I neither liked not even cared about any of the Fail 5. To me they were walking cliches and the whole show was just kind of blah.

Recently though, especially with the expanding roll of the Wulgaru, its been getting better for me. I am actually beginning to learn the Fail 5's names and get an idea of their characters, and the show's started gaining a little steam here and there. I can now see them as individuals and not walking cardboard cut-outs. However, I haven't gotten to the point where I've actually begun to truly care for them yet. Honestly, I think if any of them were to die, the only one who'd I'd kinda feel them impact of would be Rin or Izuru. Everyone else still has a ways to go for me.

I just feel as if there's no gravity in these battles, there are no stakes. None of the MCs are in any real trouble, nor do I feel that they are particularly fighting for any personal reason other than they were ordered to. The MCs don't have any personal stakes in this battle, so why should the audience care? Now, this is purely my opinion. I've become used to darker, grittier space battles, so this one to me was just okay. MJP has come a ways since episode 1, but I still feel as though it has a ways to go. But it's only episode 8, so we have time to get into the real drama and emotion of this series. (hopefully...)
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 16:46   Link #435
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Uh... but that's exactly what happened in this episode? PS. Another great episode. The CG work continues to impress, we've come a long way since Vandread.
Yeah but how many times has that happened?

I also get the feeling it'll just keep repeating itself.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 17:13   Link #436
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Out of the three mecha shows airing this season, Majestic Prince is definitely the one with the best mecha action. The battles in episode 8 were incredibly exciting, Izuru and the Prince's duel in particular was spectacular. I still don't find the plot particularly engaging, but as long as they can keep me supplied with this kind of battles, I'll keep watching.

Asagi pleasantly surprised me this week. I never imagined he would make a good leader given his personality and his "issues", but it turns out he's actually better suited to the role than Izuru. They ought to switch. The others performed well this week as well... except Tamaki. It's amazing she hasn't gotten herself killed yet. She even stood right in the middle of Suruga's line of fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Honestly, that's my idea too, or at least that Izuru might be Wulgaru himself or at least part-Wulgaru. It didn't seem as if Jiart was surprised at getting hurt, but more so by Izuru himself. In fact, he intentionally guided his cockpit pod thing outside of his mech to get a closer look at Izuru in which he had a look of surprised recognition before going back into his mech again and then flying off after saying a line about the two meeting again.

I actually have a crazy theory I just came up with after watching this episode. What if ALL of the Fail 5 are part-Wulgaru? What if when they supposedly "genetically-enhanced" them, Simon, Theoria, and their secret group, whatever it is, combined human and Wulgaru genetics and therefore creating human hybrids that are able to pilot the JURIA systems which are based on Wulgaru tech? It would explain why they, in particular are the only ones who are able to pilot the mechs.
How could Jiart tell at a glance that Izuru is part Wulgaru though? He doesn't have any of their traits (which just seem to be funky hair colors). I think Jiart was simply just as surprised as Izuru that his enemy's appearance was so similar to that of his own race. We'll probably find out later that Wulgaru and humans have common ancestors or something along those lines. It can't be a coincidence that they look so human.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 17:26   Link #437
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Finally saw the rest of the episode......

Sooooo is it just me or did the GDF forget that Space Combat involved 3D directions?
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:10   Link #438
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Are you try imply there is someone incompetent in charge or what?! That's hard to belive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Same here, I bet that Izuru might be an illegitimate son of some Wulgaru royalty.
Izuru and Lacus might be siblings, thats why he remembered her. It might be also reason to stop hating her in future if she shows at least some interesting character trait.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 18:59   Link #439
Irenesharda
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post

How could Jiart tell at a glance that Izuru is part Wulgaru though? He doesn't have any of their traits (which just seem to be funky hair colors). I think Jiart was simply just as surprised as Izuru that his enemy's appearance was so similar to that of his own race. We'll probably find out later that Wulgaru and humans have common ancestors or something along those lines. It can't be a coincidence that they look so human.
Oh I have no doubt that they're alien, they come from half-way across the galaxy. And it's very common for sci-fi shows to have human look-alike aliens. It makes the audience identify with them more, I guess. (It's also a lazy out for the writers and animators, but hey... )

As to how Jiart could tell by looking at him? Who knows, maybe there is something he recognizes about him that he's seen before? Maybe as a Wulgaru he can see things humans cannot? It's really just speculation at this point.
__________________
"Someone who cannot forgive lies or secrets, will never trust another."

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-23, 19:06   Link #440
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Metro Manila, Philippines
Age: 32
Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Actually, I think what "familiarity" means in Jiart's case was that he wasn't expecting his prey to be like him, a humanoid.
__________________
Myssa Rei is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, actual mecha action, comedy, mecha, science fiction

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.