AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-25, 07:43   Link #1121
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chihaya definite shouldn't have played. This is A-class and these people are motivated enough to not show any kind of mercy, when she gets cornered she's going to use her right hand subconsciously. To start playing with your non-dominant hand in this type of competition is fruitless in my opinion and she has to take care of her hand.

After all these development with Taichi where it seemed he was going to change his attitude towards everything in general, it seems that after all he can't help but still see Arata as an enemy. I like Taichi a lot but I'm disappointed to watch how Arata sincerely considers him as good friend but it's one-sided. And that he didn't openly tell him to treat him as an enemy but keep an act.

A recap when a couple of episode back we had a full recap episode was a bad move. At least we heard that ending again. And the rest of the content was good enough.

Arata's friend's face because he had to play against him was priceless. I hope that in B and C class they can win. Not sure about D class, maybe Tsukuba has a chance since he managed to play against Fujisaki even if he lost and A-class my expectation is Arata winning against Shinobu.

The pacing of this second season makes me want to read the manga
__________________
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 07:56   Link #1122
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 07:58   Link #1123
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in the land down under ^^
Wow...whilst I'm not surprised at the two scenes that seem to have drawn the most attention, the reactions are a lot more interesting than I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Ah, you beat me to it. (I looked it up to try and suss out if there are little nuances based on how the word is presented, and my dictionary implies that the 'rival' definition builds on the 'opponent' one, in that a rival is an opponent that is pretty much 'equal'.)

On that subject though, I'd been wondering which of the two main meanings ('enemy' or 'rival/opponent') Suetsugu-sensei had intended (or if something in between was what she'd intended). The way it was acted out seems to weigh in on the 'enemy' meaning though...

I also wasn't too happy with the mini-recap, if only because it leaves viewers wondering for far too long what Chihaya might have been thinking/feeling then. Though I do understand why it had to be done. Sort of.
__________________



You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.



"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.
- Patrick Stokes


karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 08:36   Link #1124
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Yes, though it doesn't change the fact Taichi doesn't want to be in the same team.

There are... clues it's because to Taichi, Arata is someone he has to overcome. To Arata, Taichi's just some dude who also plays Karuta.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 08:43   Link #1125
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Mt. Ordeals
Boo flashback. Yay Chihaya sleeping in the same room as Taichi, because she feels the most comfortable with him!
__________________

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 08:49   Link #1126
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Thanks for this, that makes me feel better about the scene.

But besides in the last episode Taichi said the thought of Arata also gives him strength (or something a long those lines).

I do feel Taichi has mixed feelings about Arata. I think he does care about him. But I also understand why he doesn't want him in Tokyo.

Still Arata coming to Tokyo would really be the best thing for Taichi. Taichi can't move forward with Chihaya or Karuta until he truly faces Arata.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh
To Arata, Taichi's just some dude who also plays Karuta.
But isn't that also because Arata is somewhat underestimating Taichi.

Arata sees Taichi as a friend, but he doesn't even think of him as a rival.

Think of the difference how Chihaya views Shinobu to how Arata views Taichi.

I believe Arata's friendship for Taichi is genuine but I think he doesn't have the conflicted views about Taichi because he doesn't really see Taichi's strength yet. I think that has to change and this will be important to both Taichi and Arata's growth.


edit: Somehow mixed up Sumire and Shinobu's names. Oops!
__________________

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-05-25 at 11:42.
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 09:00   Link #1127
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kagurazaka, Tokyo
Yes, the irony for Taichi is that Arata coming to Tokyo would be the best thing for him. Not just because it would force Taichi to move from his holding pattern with Chihaya, but because Arata isn't even a rival at the moment - he's somewhere between an ideal and a myth. He's far away, rarely seen, and is only ever seen (by Chihaya, and almost always by us) in a purely positive light. In Taichi's position it would be much better to compete as friendly rivals with an actual human being with faults than a Karuta God.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:15   Link #1128
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 22
Aside from that god awful recap in the middle of the episode, I really liked what we saw. I'm actually disappointed that we're jumping so quickly back into the individual tournament because those sorts of character interactions we saw this episode were what made season 1 really special. I like watching the karuta matches, but the characters are what contextualize the experience, and make it that much better.

My favorite line of the episode though has got to be Taichi's "Why am I even here?" I think Taichi finally feels like he belongs in class A and it's high time he gets himself into it with this tournament.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:35   Link #1129
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This is a perfect example of why translators can impact the interpretation of a work significantly. "Teki", the word Taichi used, can be translated as "enemy" (which Crunchyroll did), "rival", or "opponent" - all are correct in this context, and in common usage. The scene plays very, very differently depending on which translation you use.
Teki is more commonly used for enemy in anime/manga though. Rival is rival.

I think CR's translation is correct. If Taichi truly saw Arata as a rival, he wouldn't be so opposed to the idea of playing on the same team as him again. Couple that with the NTR face he made when he said it and the meaning of his words is quite clear, imo. To Taichi, Arata is the greatest obstacle he needs to overcome. Both in Karuta and love. He probably feels he can't afford to be friends with him - feeling sympathy for the guy could dull his desire to defeat him. He's his enemy, plain and simple. As of now, neither of them sees the other as a (friendly) rival, but that will probably change in the future. Sadly, I doubt it will happen until Arata moves to Tokyo and they get more chances to interact.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:36   Link #1130
Dop
We can't stop here...
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
I had expected Chihaya's finger to be too hurt for the individuals, and I'm pretty sure she won't get far using her left hand (as that would be too much to expect, really).
I bet the author is saving Chihaya's match with Shinobu for their third year...!

Odd choice for a quick recap, but charitably I think it can be seen as the first chance Chihaya has had to relax and really think about how far they've come.

The Taichi and Arata sequence was one of the most telling parts of the episode though. I would kind of hope before the series is over we see Taichi make grade A, but suspect there may not be enough episodes left.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:42   Link #1131
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
But isn't that also because Arata is somewhat underestimating Taichi.
That would imply that Arata's wrong to not have Taichi in his sights. Right now, they literally don't play in the same category.

Quote:
Arata sees Taichi as a friend, but he doesn't even think of him as a rival.

Think of the difference how Chihaya views Sumire to how Arata views Taichi.

I believe Arata's friendship for Taichi is genuine but I think he doesn't have the conflicted views about Taichi because he doesn't really see Taichi's strength yet. I think that has to change and this will be important to both Taichi and Arata's growth.
Well, yes. That's my point about why Arata wants to be in a team with him, but Taichi doesn't.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:46   Link #1132
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
The Taichi and Arata sequence was one of the most telling parts of the episode though. I would kind of hope before the series is over we see Taichi make grade A, but suspect there may not be enough episodes left.
Well he has a chance with this tournament. If he wins Class B, he will move up to Class A.

I do think 5 episodes is pretty fast to get through the individual tournament (considering how long it took them to get through the group tournament) but since they are starting it I assume they are going to finish.

Anyways while it is not 100%, Taichi getting to Class A before the anime is over is a definite possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh Min
That would imply that Arata's wrong to not have Taichi in his sights. Right now, they literally don't play in the same category.
Oh I think he is wrong. Chihaya is not as good as Shinobu now either but she will be. That is a guarantee.

I think Taichi will become a threat to Arata. And that is a very good thing for Arata.

I just don't think Arata realizes this yet. And that impacts how Arata sees Taichi vs how Taichi sees Arata.

Remember just because Taichi is not in Class A doesn't mean he isn't a strong player. His opponent in the last team match learned that the hard way.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 11:57   Link #1133
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post

Oh I think he is wrong. Chihaya is not as good as Shinobu now either but she will be. That is a guarantee.
Well, yes, it's her name in the title after all. Though a Shinobufuru might not be uninteresting... I love her "Kyoto woman temper".

Quote:
I think Taichi will become a threat to Arata. And that is a very good thing for Arata.
Sure, but Arata can worry about that then.

Quote:
I just don't think Arata realizes this yet. And that impacts how Arata sees Taichi vs how Taichi sees Arata.
Well, why would he? All he knows is what Eromu did before their match: that Taichi's been in Class B since forever.

Quote:
Remember just because Taichi is not in Class A doesn't mean he isn't a strong player. His opponent in the last team match learned that the hard way.
But it does mean he can't play in the Meijin qualifiers.

Everything will change if Taichi finally makes it to class A (for example, by winning the individual tournament). But that hasn't happened yet.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 12:10   Link #1134
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Anh Min I think you are missing my point. I am not judging Arata for discounting Taichi just stating matter of factly that he is discounting Taichi.

It just explains why Taichi and Arata view each other differently.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 14:30   Link #1135
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Lol, so much butthurt over Taichi seeing Arata as rival (yes, rival, not enemy) instead of potential teammate.

But this doesn't mean Taichi doesn't see him as a friend. He just needs to feel they're equal before he can accept him as teammate. That's all.

Winning that B class tournament will be the first step in that direction.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2013-05-25 at 15:16.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 15:51   Link #1136
frodonk
Master of Killing Time
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The World God Only Knows
hmm, interesting. everyone is participating.

komano vs oe in class c
hanano(?) will be out in the first match, tsukube(?) will be in the finals
taichi vs rion in class b
and of course, arata vs shinobu in class a
IDK what will happen to chihaya though.

I missed the s1 ED song. that kinda made the recap bearable to watch, somewhat.

and lol at arata's opponent, looks like his face is stuck like that until the end of the match. I don't even know if he's able to take a card from arata.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:43   Link #1137
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mucking about
Age: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by frodonk View Post
IDK what will happen to chihaya though.
If she doesn't lose decisively in the opening match, I will be disappointed in the manga-ka. That would destroy any sense of realism about the matches, especially in light of the unlikely victory by Misuzawa in the team finals.

As for a match between Arata and Snowmaru-chan, which I hope will end the season, I haven't the foggiest idea who would win that match since we haven't seen either of them play seriously since last season. My money is on Shinobu. I can see both Chihaya and Taichi being motivated for next season watching their respective rivals compete for the title.

I was disappointed by Taichi's remark; it seemed unusually petty for him. Still I think his sense of competition with Arata concerns not just Chihaya's affections but karuta as well. I suspect Taichi thinks Chihaya will never take him seriously if he cannot compete with both her and Arata. He's probably right.

Ending with an Arata v Shinobu final, as exciting as that might be, would be a disappointing ending for such a wonderful series. Given the pacing this season, I've started to wonder whether Madhouse knew the production committee had given the "green light" to a third season when they began writing this one. I've seen enough manga adaptations to understand how difficult it is to close a season when the printed story goes forward. When the first season ended, I was not sure whether there would be another. Enough threads were closed, particularly Chihaya's realization of her joy for karuta and her talent as well. When season one ended, Chihaya had been launched on a trajectory toward a future critical match against Shinobu and possibly Arata, Sudo, or even Taichi as well. We were left to speculate on her success or failure along that path, and about what might transpire someday among Taichi, Arata, and Chihaya.

So though I rarely read manga, I'm finding it hard to pass up CDJapan's offer of a complete set of all twenty volumes for about US$130 including shipping. That seems like a steal to me, and it would resolve any qualms I might otherwise have about reading scanlations.
__________________

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-05-25 at 23:51.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-25, 22:58   Link #1138
Kazu-kun
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I suspect Taichi thinks Chihaya will never take him seriously if he cannot compete with both her and Arata. He's probably right.
He's definitely right.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic39230_3.gif
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 02:54   Link #1139
Blaat
AS member for 10 years
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Given the pacing this season, I've started to wonder whether Madhouse knew the production committee had given the "green light" to a third season when they began writing this one.
Another two cour series is a long way off (as there are not enough chapters) winter 2015 is probably the earliest realistic target of a third season start. However there will be an OVA included with the 22th manga volume release, the content of the OVA is unknown so we don't know if it will continue the story.
__________________
Blaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-26, 08:11   Link #1140
Bern-san
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
These type of OVAs given with the manga volumes tend to be plot-free and generally for fanservice with manga-only references. But who knows what they'll do in Chihayafuru.

Maybe I interpreted the Taichi monologue in a negative way but to me it looked like he actually hated Arata and only wanted to beat him.
__________________
Bern-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cards, josei, sports

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.