AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-27, 18:30   Link #741
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
To plenty of gamers it does. Again, not all gamers are collectors.
Not sure if he's talking actual value or personal value, but consider this. You buy a game. You decide you need money a week later, but haven't had time to play it yet. You decide to sell it. The value that you can get for that game at that time is independent of whether you beat it or not. Thus, beating it does not affect its actual value, only personal value.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 18:35   Link #742
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Not sure if he's talking actual value or personal value, but consider this. You buy a game. You decide you need money a week later, but haven't had time to play it yet. You decide to sell it. The value that you can get for that game at that time is independent of whether you beat it or not. Thus, beating it does not affect its actual value, only personal value.
Yes, but a person's decision to sell a game is often linked to whether they've beat it or not. So is the amount of personal value the gamer/owner attaches to his/her game. In my experience, gamers are much more willing to sell/part with their game if they've already beat it than if they haven't beat it yet.
Old 2013-05-27, 18:37   Link #743
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Specially true with achievement hunters, who play only to raise Gamerscore!
IMAGINE if suddenly they can't sell their games anymore haha
Old 2013-05-27, 18:51   Link #744
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Specially true with achievement hunters, who play only to raise Gamerscore!
IMAGINE if suddenly they can't sell their games anymore haha
Fewer games get sold because they can no longer afford to buy all games in the hopes of gaining very high achievement?
Old 2013-05-27, 18:56   Link #745
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
I must have missed it in the dozens of pages talking about it but how much DRM is the Xbox One looking at?
Daily online authentications required or your console stops playing games. Game link to account only. Game disc cannot be sold privately, only MS approval can unlock the disc, which erases the game on your console. Only retail stores have unlocking ability. They pay Microsoft 90% of the used game profits.
Old 2013-05-27, 19:05   Link #746
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Send a message via MSN to Tong
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
It's actually getting rather annoying how everyone is ignoring Nintendo.
Of course, aside from usual Nintendo titles, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and few "chilidsh" games, the rest of them are also avaiable on other consoles and PC.
Quote:
Fewer games get sold because they can no longer afford to buy all games in the hopes of gaining very high achievement?
Few people realise that consumers may sell used games to buy new games.
And as you said, if they can't do this anymore, only AAA titles will be bought.
Old 2013-05-27, 19:12   Link #747
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Daily online authentications required or your console stops playing games. Game link to account only. Game disc cannot be sold privately, only MS approval can unlock the disc, which erases the game on your console. Only retail stores have unlocking ability. They pay Microsoft 90% of the used game profits.
Well damn. Guess that's a no-sell for me.

...the Xbox 360 will still let me sign-in with my profile right?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:23   Link #748
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
I'm curious. What happens if a XBox One owner simply forgets one day to turn on his/her XBox One for the scheduled daily internet check-up?

Or, heck, what if they just happen to lose power for over 24 hours? It can easily happen in a nasty snowstorm, hurricane, tornado, etc...
Old 2013-05-27, 19:27   Link #749
DingoEnderZOE2

Send a message via AIM to DingoEnderZOE2
Quote:
It's about both. Not all gamers are collectors, as DingoEnderZOE2 seems to think.

If you're not a video game collector, then its value drops after you've exhausted the content offerings of the game. Most people would rather play something new than replay the same game over and over and over again (especially if it's a story-driven game).
So then let me ask, if a games only value to some people is to either beat it then sell it or get achievements and sell it, than what the hell is the point of spending your money on used or new games when you can just rent them for much cheaper prices from places such as gamefly?????

Quote:
I'm curious. What happens if a XBox One owner simply forgets one day to turn on his/her XBox One for the scheduled daily internet check-up?

Or, heck, what if they just happen to lose power for over 24 hours? It can easily happen in a nasty snowstorm, hurricane, tornado, etc...
Then you are screwed that's what happens.
Anime evaluating:None
Manga in progress:None at the moment
DingoEnderZOE2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:34   Link #750
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoEnderZOE2 View Post
So then let me ask, if a games only value to some people is to either beat it then sell it or get achievements and sell it, than what the hell is the point of spending your money on used or new games when you can just rent them for much cheaper prices from places such as gamefly?????
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the XBox One approach preclude the renting of its games as well?

Quote:
Then you are screwed that's what happens.
Microsoft: Proud to screw over those that have already suffered from events like Hurricane Sandy. Because we care.

...Is this really what you want to be defending, DingoEnderZOE2? Is this really in the best interests of video gamers, or even the video game industry?

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see CNN specials on Joe and Bob up in New York having their XBox Ones turned into useless paperweights in the wake of another big hurricane. I am simply giddy with anticipation!
Old 2013-05-27, 19:36   Link #751
defki

Quote:

Another thing that needs to be answered in detail but hey MS and all...

I assume it will ask you to log in and/or authorize your console/game. If you can't it won't launch the content/game.

Most likely similar to Steam.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:38   Link #752
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
I am just amused by Jazzrat's view that we should give more money to game companies so they can make better games later.

No, that's not how it works, Jazzrat. They should make better games so we would give them more money. That's the order of things. They deliver the goods, then we pay for the goods. We are not suppose to gift them with showers of gold out of good will.
Lol, did i ever say we should pay more money and upfront? I'm pretty sure i didn't. The actual payment on delivery of goods/service system hasn't change. I m talking about profit distribution between retailers and producer, whatever the cost consumer should bear is decided by the actual consumer purchasing power and demand. Also investors are the one actually footing the cost to get the product out and changing the used game system isn't making you pay the bill (unless you are an investor).

If people decide that $60 on a non-tradeable commodity isn't worth it, then they shouldn't buy it... gaming is still a non-essential product. If that's the case, then the market have to adjust their pricing to match it. If that doesn't work... well, maybe someone should inform Gabe Newell.

I don't see any actual points being made that giving Gamestop more money is doing the industry more benefits.

Quote:
And games don't degrade overtime?

With many a story-driven game, once you beat it, it's value to you goes down drastically.
I'm talking about actual decay really. Granted a car can last a long time with proper maintenance but it still requires additional work and money.

Quote:
Those are all purely digital in nature. XBox One games aren't. This is a very significant distinction that XBox One defenders on this thread just don't seem to get for some reason.

When people buy something tangible, they expect to one day be able to sell it at a lower cost. When people buy a "hard copy" video game, they see it as buying a copy of a video game. Of course they're not buying Mario, the franchise, but they do view it as buying a copy of a Mario game. A copy that they should have every right to do whatever they want with after they buy it.
While the media is different the concept is still the same. When we buy games, we actually only buy the license to play the game for our personal consumption disregarding whether there's a tangible product or not. Prretty sure it's covered in the disclaimer section for all the games you buy.

Last edited by Jazzrat; 2013-05-27 at 19:54.
Jazzrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:39   Link #753
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
One reason I can think of is that rented games have a time limit on how long you can hold onto it. Some people play at a casual rate, say a couple of months to finish a 6-10hr game such as God of War. How long does do those rental places give a person to hold onto that game until overcharges start? About a week? I really don't know how it is now since it's been over 8 yrs since I rented something. So let's assume that it's $10 bucks to rent for one week, repeat that 8 times to make 2 months... That's $80 right there which is probably more than a new copy of the game. Now that's only speaking of a 6-10 hr game... Just imagine an RPG that's 20+ hrs.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:41   Link #754
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the XBox One approach preclude the renting of its games as well?
Yup that's what's gonna happen if X-box one decides to stick with this idea.

Quote:
Microsoft: Proud to screw over those that have already suffered from events like Hurricane Sandy. Because we care.

...Is this really what you want to be defending, DingoEnderZOE2? Is this really in the best interests of video gamers, or even the video game industry?

I don't know about you, but I can't wait to see CNN specials on Joe and Bob up in New York having their XBox Ones turned into useless paperweights in the wake of another big hurricane. I am simply giddy with anticipation!
Oh don't get me wrong I am NOT defending this process at all and I'm definitely against the way Microsoft is trying to do this, I was just wondering if the idea of a company and it's DEVELOPERS getting a small cut from used sales really such a bad idea.
Old 2013-05-27, 19:42   Link #755
DingoEnderZOE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffle View Post
One reason I can think of is that rented games have a time limit on how long you can hold onto it. Some people play at a casual rate, say a couple of months to finish a 6-10hr game such as God of War. How long does do those rental places give a person to hold onto that game until overcharges start? About a week? I really don't know how it is now since it's been over 8 yrs since I rented something. So let's assume that it's $10 bucks to rent for one week, repeat that 8 times to make 2 months... That's $80 right there which is probably more than a new copy of the game. Now that's only speaking of a 6-10 hr game... Just imagine an RPG that's 20+ hrs.
With gamefly you can keep a game AS LONG AS YOU WANT and send it back whenever you want. The only thing you would have to pay is your monthly fee of what plan(1 game at a time plan up to 6 games at a time plan) you signed up for. I kept Halo 4 from them for at least 3 months before I finally sent it back. Hell if you like the game enough they'll even let you keep it by paying for it at a cheap price and the longer you're a member they'll even give you discounts.
Old 2013-05-27, 19:49   Link #756
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
With gamefly you can keep a game AS LONG AS YOU WANT and send it back whenever you want. I kept Halo 4 from them for at least 3 months before I finally sent it back. Hell if you like the game enough they'll even let you keep it by paying for it at a cheap price and the longer you're a member they'll even give you discounts.
I've never heard of such a method of renting before. The only way the producers could make a profit from that is if the games the consumer sells to stores gets sent to rental places, and when a game is rented, a dollar or so goes to the company that made the game. And since the consumer would be allowed to keep the used game if they liked it, they're still paying the lower cost for a used game, renting games become the norm, and producers get a small cut. Not sure how practical since I just thought about it on the top of my head, didn't really think about it, but it does sound interesting. Although, this kinda changes who the middle man is, game shops vs rental stores.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 19:53   Link #757
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also just remember this. When you have always online and the next gen comes out, will they still support the game?
The game will be useless and cannot be played anymore. Unlike old games like the gameboy, nes, snes, PSone, the original Xbox that the time where gaming is gaming.

Last edited by kenjiharima; 2013-05-27 at 20:06.
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 20:14   Link #758
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I am just amused by Jazzrat's view that we should give more money to game companies so they can make better games later.

No, that's not how it works, Jazzrat. They should make better games so we would give them more money. That's the order of things. They deliver the goods, then we pay for the goods. We are not suppose to gift them with showers of gold out of good will.
That's pretty much the same line I hear from everyone who defends this policy, their argument boils down to:

"We should give free money to MS and the publishers because we should give free money to MS and the publishers.

and to add more fun:

Xbone will be region locked - http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-...l-254626.phtml

Blow: Microsoft's lying about Xbox One cloud power - http://www.destructoid.com/blow-micr...r-254630.phtml

Last edited by kyp275; 2013-05-27 at 20:33.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 20:53   Link #759
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Of course, aside from usual Nintendo titles, Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, Monster Hunter and few "chilidsh" games, the rest of them are also avaiable on other consoles and PC.
But the statement I was responding to was something along the lines of "If Sony follows suit, then we'll have to buy one of them to play our games." Well, there's Nintendo, who already released their system, which does not follow suit. Therefore, you do not need to purchase an xbone or PS4.

Quote:

Then they'd have to log in the next time they turn it on or else nothing else would function.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 21:32   Link #760
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Game disc cannot be sold privately, only MS approval can unlock the disc, which erases the game on your console.
Wait, is this even confirmed? This is the first time I ever heard about it.