AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-01, 22:53   Link #941
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
What I mean is this: of the people out there who are into the To Aru... franchise, how many of them are fans of the Academy City setting in and of itself, to the point that enough people would buy into an "Academy City Online" game (where they'd be playing as their own characters, but not as one of the canon cast members) for it to be successful? Or are most fans of the series into it strictly because of the canon cast themselves, and wouldn't want to go "off-camera" in terms of what kind of game they might want to play there?
Oh yeah there definitely is. The world-building is one of the most loved things about this series after all. I saw some people on the TvTropes forum say they hated everything else about the franchise and only followed it because of the world-building.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 23:27   Link #942
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
Oh yeah there definitely is. The world-building is one of the most loved things about this series after all. I saw some people on the TvTropes forum say they hated everything else about the franchise and only followed it because of the world-building.
Lol. I really do enjoy the world-building; it is absolutely amazing. At the same time, I do like the main cast. I don't see why anyone would hate either part of the franchise.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 16:12   Link #943
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Actually, I was wondering if anyone would have liked to see a game set in a range of different eras.

Think of how Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night are set in the same (fictional) city, but ten years apart. In this case, one could imagine Academy City looking even more different over the decades of its existence. Or even, perhaps, going as far back as the founding years of the city itself.

Or is the present era of the setting (whichever year it's supposed to be) the only one that people would want to play around in?
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-02, 20:40   Link #944
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
Actually, I was wondering if anyone would have liked to see a game set in a range of different eras.

Think of how Fate/Zero and Fate/Stay Night are set in the same (fictional) city, but ten years apart. In this case, one could imagine Academy City looking even more different over the decades of its existence. Or even, perhaps, going as far back as the founding years of the city itself.

Or is the present era of the setting (whichever year it's supposed to be) the only one that people would want to play around in?
That would be excellent except for the fact that everything we've seen so far in Index takes place within about 4 months...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 04:57   Link #945
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Academy City during the cold war.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 09:00   Link #946
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Academy City during the cold war.
You mean when Stargate was happening? Then I stand corrected.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 13:54   Link #947
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
What I mean is this: of the people out there who are into the To Aru... franchise, how many of them are fans of the Academy City setting in and of itself, to the point that enough people would buy into an "Academy City Online" game (where they'd be playing as their own characters, but not as one of the canon cast members) for it to be successful? Or are most fans of the series into it strictly because of the canon cast themselves, and wouldn't want to go "off-camera" in terms of what kind of game they might want to play there?
While the world building is part of the marvels that make this franchise, I have to say what I like was how the plot moves in the world and revolve around the characters, especially our certain spiky-haired high school student protagonist.

How they interact with each other (again, focus on the main guy...s,)... although due to the nature of the series where there is always something happening you feel there's no time for them to sit down together and just have a day with nothing happening, this might be one of the things that you might have more to wish for than what you have read and seen.

I also like how the designing of the characters go for the unconventional approach in combining a character's physical traits and personality, something about it makes you want to know about them in detail because trying to define them as you see them definitely is going to get you wrong on so many levels you wish you personally knew them instead.
__________________
I like to run portable on my dude, so I ran while running runs in my portably portable, dude-like dude.

Kazuma Kamachi FC

Since we are all so trigger happy about certain behaviors that we do when talking about his works.

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Master Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-05, 19:25   Link #948
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
I'm relatively late to the party, To Aru...-wise; I marathoned my way through seasons 1 of Index and Railgun, and just caught up to episode 8 of Railgun S recently. (I haven't watched Index II yet.)

Apologies if this has been noted already; but has there been any talk on whether or not some sort of "Academy City Online" game might work well at some point? The city itself seems like a great potential setting for a sandbox RPG, in which you could create your own character (at level 0 or 1 or whatever) and fill in the blanks of what is going on while the two series' cast members do their thing on screen.

Would there be enough people out there willing to make their own mark (however far "off-camera" from the main casts) in this universe, or is there too much of an association with the known "magical and scientific ensemble" to allow for the setting to be divorced from them?
How well does games like GTA, Assassin creed and Batman sell in Japan? Do Japanese gamers even like those open-world city games ?

If you ask me though, I think it's better if they don't try to cash in on the whole MMO pie- its not as bountiful as people think....

But for argument sake- in a perfect world, it would be great

Spoilers
Spoiler for faction speculation
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by Chaos2Frozen; 2013-06-05 at 19:47.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 14:44   Link #949
Nerroth
Alea iacta est.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
How well does games like GTA, Assassin creed and Batman sell in Japan? Do Japanese gamers even like those open-world city games ?
Does PSO2 count? It has over half a million Japanese users on the PS Vita version alone. (But that game has a more anime-esque style than the Western sandbox games mentioned above, which might bode well for a game set in Academy City.)

Not that it would necessarily have to be an always-online setup; I would like to just be able to pursue stories and events in single-player, as an alternative to going to more social/online gaming mode.
__________________
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 14:48   Link #950
Xellos-_^
Married
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: R'lyeh
Age: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
What I mean is this: of the people out there who are into the To Aru... franchise, how many of them are fans of the Academy City setting in and of itself, to the point that enough people would buy into an "Academy City Online" game (where they'd be playing as their own characters, but not as one of the canon cast members) for it to be successful? Or are most fans of the series into it strictly because of the canon cast themselves, and wouldn't want to go "off-camera" in terms of what kind of game they might want to play there?
not going to happen. Too many players are not going to be satisfied playing lv0 to lv4. They are going to want to be a lv5.
__________________
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 16:46   Link #951
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
What I mean is this: of the people out there who are into the To Aru... franchise, how many of them are fans of the Academy City setting in and of itself, to the point that enough people would buy into an "Academy City Online" game (where they'd be playing as their own characters, but not as one of the canon cast members) for it to be successful? Or are most fans of the series into it strictly because of the canon cast themselves, and wouldn't want to go "off-camera" in terms of what kind of game they might want to play there?
The other problem I think for many people is that anything you would do with side-characters could end up making plot events happen that would contradict main story events. That would be annoying. The best way to get more background for AC is for Kamachi to write more spinoff manga. I think 10 more side stories + railgun + Index at the same time would do jk jk.
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 17:37   Link #952
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
not going to happen. Too many players are not going to be satisfied playing lv0 to lv4. They are going to want to be a lv5.
Obviously you don't know MMO players Especially Asians.

The real problem is how you would balance the freedom with the restrictions of gameplay mechanics.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 17:39   Link #953
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Obviously you don't know MMO players Especially Asians.

The real problem is how you would balance the freedom with the restrictions of gameplay mechanics.
I guess I don't... Apparently neither do the vast amount of people who didn't buy Dragon Quest X
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 19:01   Link #954
Chaos2Frozen
The Evil Within
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Drangelic, or by a different name...
Age: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I guess I don't... Apparently neither do the vast amount of people who didn't buy Dragon Quest X
Maple Story bro

Anyway to elaborate on what I mean by balancing freedom and restriction...Lets take the Esper route as an example since its the one people are most familiar with.

Restriction - what kind of esper do you want to be? There are a whole variety but only a few are viable to play as. Once you made your choice you can't change.

Freedom - being a normal student isn't fun so how would you go about getting involved? Do you join Judgement and solve crime? Do you fall into darkness and carry out black ops? Do you become a skill out thug and abandon your powers? Or do you step up and become a 'hero' regardless of what people think?

Lots of choices and limits.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-07, 02:55   Link #955
dniv
Nintendo Haters I'm ready
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Good news for us! To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S will get a new ending theme, performed by Misawa Sachika (Meigo Alisa's voice actress)!

Source: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-16693.html

From the facebook fanpage.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-06-07 at 04:35. Reason: removed the other part that was double-posted in the main Railgun General thread
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 19:56   Link #956
Raisingfalcon
Class minus 13
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Maple Story bro

Anyway to elaborate on what I mean by balancing freedom and restriction...Lets take the Esper route as an example since its the one people are most familiar with.

Restriction - what kind of esper do you want to be? There are a whole variety but only a few are viable to play as. Once you made your choice you can't change.

Freedom - being a normal student isn't fun so how would you go about getting involved? Do you join Judgement and solve crime? Do you fall into darkness and carry out black ops? Do you become a skill out thug and abandon your powers? Or do you step up and become a 'hero' regardless of what people think?

Lots of choices and limits.
That would be pretty cool. But how will the power balance be dealt with? If you choose to be an Anti skill member then even if your a high rank you'll still be somewhat inferior to espers. Or Anti skill members can form bigger parties than what espers can and just gang bang everyone.
__________________
Raisingfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-10, 23:29   Link #957
zaeraal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
The cover for Railgun S BD for volume 1 was released
EDIT: It will be on sale July 24.

source

The author on the page also notes that Railgun Season1 had on BD covers:
Quote:
1. Mikoto + Kuroko
2. Uiharu + Kuroko
3. Saten + Uiharu
4. Harumi + Mikoto
5. Mikoto + Konori
6. Saten + Tessou
7. Uiharu + Haruue
8. Mikoto + Kuroko + Saten + Uiharu + Haruue + Banri
Also the new interview with Kamachi regarding Railgun was released, but didn't saw complete scans yet.
(And it's too hard for me to read anyway)

Last edited by zaeraal; 2013-06-11 at 12:12.
zaeraal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
action, comedy, despair, drama, school life, sci-fi, sequel

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.