AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga & Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-05-26, 22:29   Link #1
Kairin
AnimeSuki's Mascot
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
To Aru Majutsu no Index - Character Discussion - Tsuchimikado Motoharu

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Tsuchimikado Motoharu related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Index Novel/Manga Readers, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

    • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

    • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Kairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 02:38   Link #2
rladls716
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Tsuchimikado, I don't know why he is not discussed much as Touma and Accel.
He appeared in both magic side and science side stories.

I'm surprised that this character is still ignored after the current volume we finished reading.
rladls716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 03:58   Link #3
belatkuro
Kuro-chan
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Maybe it's because all we knew about him before NT7 is that he's a lolicon, a siscon, member of the Delta Force with Kamijou and Aogami Pierce, a double(triple?) agent for different factions and an esper-magician hybrid. Nothing else.
Though even with NT7, he's still full of mystery.
And the times we see him are only with other characters who stand out more so he's still not getting much attention because of that

I personally liked him even more with the events of the latest volume but I dunno about others.
It would have been cool to have him as one of the protagonists as he's the only hybrid around and his existence is in the middle of the two sides of magic and science. One can dream but I don't think that's happening anytime soon, if at all.
belatkuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-27, 04:37   Link #4
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by belatkuro View Post
Maybe it's because all we knew about him before NT7 is that he's a lolicon, a siscon, member of the Delta Force with Kamijou and Aogami Pierce, a double(triple?) agent for different factions and an esper-magician hybrid. Nothing else.
Though even with NT7, he's still full of mystery.
And the times we see him are only with other characters who stand out more so he's still not getting much attention because of that

I personally liked him even more with the events of the latest volume but I dunno about others.
It would have been cool to have him as one of the protagonists as he's the only hybrid around and his existence is in the middle of the two sides of magic and science. One can dream but I don't think that's happening anytime soon, if at all.
Don't forget he's also one of Touma's two best friends which makes me automatically like him. I appreciate the fact that He's a hybrid. He also is really fun/mean to Touma, but he's a pretty good guy when it comes down to it. I think there are definitely good, interesting things to say about him after this volume; however, after the next time we see his circumstances, I'm sure there really will be a gold-mine of character development he undergoes. I wonder what's going to happen to his sister because she's "dead" and she now can't do anything... can she?
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 05:58   Link #5
furaiz
Reason is Omniscient
*Author
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Void
Age: 21
Spoiler for NTVol7 Maika:
furaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 10:42   Link #6
Acer
Death to the infidels!
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: in a world of pain!
Spoiler for fate Maika:
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 21:59   Link #7
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
So... does anybody else think Tsuchimikado really should have died by now? Not because I dislike him but because he really should have by this point.

Tsuchimikado is a magician/esper hybrid which is impossible but he can do it because his esper power heals the damage. However it is made clear to us that he can't use magic as much as he wants or else his power will fail and he will die. We're therefore supposed to feel worried whenever he uses his magic because he's risking death... only I don't. Tsuchimikado uses magic constantly and yet he never dies. I think 15 and 19 are the only times he appears and doesn't use magic. Off the top of my head he's used magic 6 times, and yet he's still alive. Not only has it lost all effect it's starting to make me doubt the whole "espers can't use magic" part of the series. I mean if one character can do it with impunity why can't others?

I was actually really excited reading NT7 because I was hoping Tsuchimikado would finally die. Which is weird because I like Tsuchimikado. I just think enoughs enough.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 02:31   Link #8
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
So... does anybody else think Tsuchimikado really should have died by now? Not because I dislike him but because he really should have by this point.

Tsuchimikado is a magician/esper hybrid which is impossible but he can do it because his esper power heals the damage. However it is made clear to us that he can't use magic as much as he wants or else his power will fail and he will die. We're therefore supposed to feel worried whenever he uses his magic because he's risking death... only I don't. Tsuchimikado uses magic constantly and yet he never dies. I think 15 and 19 are the only times he appears and doesn't use magic. Off the top of my head he's used magic 6 times, and yet he's still alive. Not only has it lost all effect it's starting to make me doubt the whole "espers can't use magic" part of the series. I mean if one character can do it with impunity why can't others?

I was actually really excited reading NT7 because I was hoping Tsuchimikado would finally die. Which is weird because I like Tsuchimikado. I just think enoughs enough.
He said that 6 times is his limit the first time I think, maximum. So he's probably stuck right now unless he figures something else out to fix his situation. He's useless as a spy to both sides now... so... he's just going to be protected by Touma from now on, I guess... he can use guns though.

I like him as a character too, but I really didn't think he had to die. He could just suffer more than he has had to suffer anyway. I don't actually see why his power wouldn't be able to cure him more than 6 times, it isn't like him using magic should affect him more each and every time in succession should it? I feel like his power is just unreliable which is why his being healed is risky. If he could increase his esper level of power (maybe he already has) he could use it more times. It is highly possible he has increased in level, has he had a system scan at all, recently? I don't think he did, actually. If he can increase his powers as an esper, he can use magic again I guess.
Spoiler:
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 08:49   Link #9
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
He said that 6 times is his limit the first time I think, maximum. So he's probably stuck right now unless he figures something else out to fix his situation. He's useless as a spy to both sides now... so... he's just going to be protected by Touma from now on, I guess... he can use guns though.
He said that his limit was like 4 or 5 more times back in volume 4 but that's not the point. The point is that I know Tsuchimikado isn't going to die no matter how many times he uses magic because Kamachi doesn't want to kill him.

Quote:
I like him as a character too, but I really didn't think he had to die. He could just suffer more than he has had to suffer anyway. I don't actually see why his power wouldn't be able to cure him more than 6 times, it isn't like him using magic should affect him more each and every time in succession should it? I feel like his power is just unreliable which is why his being healed is risky. If he could increase his esper level of power (maybe he already has) he could use it more times. It is highly possible he has increased in level, has he had a system scan at all, recently? I don't think he did, actually. If he can increase his powers as an esper, he can use magic again I guess.
Esper powers aren't that easy to increase. Especially for level 0s who don't get any resources spent on them. I mean even if he had a bunch of resources being spent on developing his powers (which is really unlikely as it would probably have been mentioned at some point) the entire story has only been over the course of a few months.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 09:17   Link #10
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Erm, isn't 4-5 times refers to within a short period of time, and not his total limit?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 09:36   Link #11
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Erm, isn't 4-5 times refers to within a short period of time, and not his total limit?
He normally collapses after 1-2 uses so I doubt it.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 10:08   Link #12
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
He normally collapses after 1-2 uses so I doubt it.
It's makes even less sense that it's 4-5 times total given how often he uses it throughout the story.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 10:26   Link #13
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's makes even less sense that it's 4-5 times total given how often he uses it throughout the story.
4-5 is more of a guess though, it's like saying "I can use it a few more times". It makes more sense for it to be an estimate about how much he can use in total, than for him to say he can use it 4-5 times in a row when twice over the course of one arc (Angel Fall) was enough for him to collapse with a pool of blood.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 10:35   Link #14
Chaos2Frozen
She's Watching
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: SG Panopticon
Age: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
4-5 is more of a guess though, it's like saying "I can use it a few more times". It makes more sense for it to be an estimate about how much he can use in total, than for him to say he can use it 4-5 times in a row when twice over the course of one arc (Angel Fall) was enough for him to collapse with a pool of blood.
That's just silly.

If he had a limit on the total number, the narrative would make that very clear, this is Kamachi after all- he would repeating mention it and keep track of it.

Also, just because he collapse does not mean he couldn't get up and continue; I did not mean the number of times he can use it in a row, but within a period of time before he completely is unable to carry on.

Plus, so long as his body gets healed back up he can use magic again so any limit doesn't make sense.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 10:46   Link #15
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
That's just silly.

If he had a limit on the total number, the narrative would make that very clear, this is Kamachi after all- he would repeating mention it and keep track of it.

Also, just because he collapse does not mean he couldn't get up and continue; I did not mean the number of times he can use it in a row, but within a period of time before he completely is unable to carry on.

Plus, so long as his body gets healed back up he can use magic again so any limit doesn't make sense.
Then what does it mean? It being a 4-5 times "within a period of time" doesn't make sense either. In Angel Fall the two times he used magic were a day apart and twice was enough to knock him out. Does he mean 4-5 times a week? If so then what's the big deal every time he uses it?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-03, 19:40   Link #16
kagato3
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
the way I look at it is his power has a max amount of damage it can cover for. since the location and amount of damage he takes when he uses magic (regardless of if it is a big spell or a small one) is somewhat random he can use magic 4 -5 times is his limit before the average damage he would take is greater then the damage he can cover. On the other hand on any given casting the damage could be in a critical location and still knock him out/ kill him if he is unlucky. Of course once he has had time to heal all that damage he's back up to his 4-5 uses but that likely takes weeks.
__________________
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
click to play
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
characters

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.