AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

View Poll Results: Suisei no Gargantia - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 12 16.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 35 46.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 18.67%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 14.67%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.33%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.33%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-09, 18:29   Link #61
jzmagic
flargansbog
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
So the final boss, Commander Kugel, makes his appearance. The coming conflict will probably be Commander Kugel sticking with his mission to killing Hideauze versus Ledo who takes a stand against him.
jzmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 18:31   Link #62
HandofFate
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chamber was so tsundere at the end.

I'm not encouraging you because I want to, its just because I'm an AI interface designed to develop pilots.

Series getting super heavy now.

I sympathized with Pinion about his brother. But oh man, every decision he made this episode made me shake my head.

Surprised that even as a mechanic, Pinion was able to repair/install the technology they found.
__________________
...
HandofFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 18:40   Link #63
frubam
singing heartbreak
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Age: 31
Send a message via AIM to frubam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
I kept facepalming every time Pinion spoke. I just know he's going to make some very bad decisions that are going to get people killed. (Dear Zod PLEASE don't let it be Melty!)
Me too =02. And I was thinking I'd never hate anyone in this series, but Pinion proved me wrong. I mean, I knew he was taking advantage of Ledo for his own selfish reasons, but he really let himself go over-the-top despite not having ANY power himself whatsoever. Chars like that just drive me UP THE WALL >=0[! I was actually hoping the pirates would kill him off while Ledo was wallowing in self-depression, but eh, I guess they'll save his death for another episode.

On another note, with this Colonel business coming up, I wonder just how Ledo will reunite with Amy? Will the Col destroy all of Pinion's fleet, forcing Ledo(and others) back to the Gargantia? I can totally see the Col and Ledo, destroying their Caliburs and Ledo returning back with Amy in some dramatic way(like her finding him unconscious on a plank of wood or something).
__________________
Even young love hurts MAL account

frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 18:59   Link #64
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I have to think more on the message of this episode. I was completely enthralled during all the Chamber/Ledo scenes. But I realized they are the only characters I care about.

I am completely apathetic to Pinion & the rest of Gargantia at this point.
__________________
Kirarakim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:16   Link #65
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Apart from Pinion's retarded powerhunger mania, he really showed very little understanding about Ledo's morale.

He should have worried more about the fact that Ledo was in that state, if anything because he needs his ace in perfect shape if he doesn't want to lose everything that he had gained.

While I can't think of him as a clearly evil character I feel like I wouldn't really be bothered if he ended up being killed. He's not just selfish, arrogant, and devoid of moral, he is also incredibly stupid.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:21   Link #66
Xion Valkyrie
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Apart from Pinion's retarded powerhunger mania, he really showed very little understanding about Ledo's morale.

He should have worried more about the fact that Ledo was in that state, if anything because he needs his ace in perfect shape if he doesn't want to lose everything that he had gained.

While I can't think of him as a clearly evil character I feel like I wouldn't really be bothered if he ended up being killed. He's not just selfish, arrogant, and devoid of moral, he is also incredibly stupid.
He's been like that the entire time. Remember in the BBQ episode when he had Ledo go do a 'job'?
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:28   Link #67
MeggieMay
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
^ I care for Amy, her brother and Bellows but overall the mope fest we saw back on the Gargantia didn't make me feel much of anything, other than for Amy (who I think misses Ledo as much as she is moping about over the Whalesquid). That said, I think the people of Gargantia are representing a theology that isn't quite coming across to some of the non Asian viewers, myself being one of those. My logical guess would be it's Buddhist in some way, from what little I understand about the religion. I believe that some sects (Tibetan is one that comes to mind) believe in total pacifism and not killing things unless they need to (thus why some Buddhist are vegetarians) and others believe that to one extent or another. Anyway, what I'm getting at is I think we're suppose to understand where the crew is coming from from a cultural background and thus sympathize more. I'm not sure how well that worked with the Japanese audience, any more than it did with us, however.

As for Col. Kugel being the final boss - that isn't a given yet in my mind. We're just going to have to wait and see exactly were that is going to go. That said, I still am not sure the crew on that other ship, which we're all calling the Cult at this point, really killed those squids. They look mummified to me. They could have found dead whalesquid who died of natural causes and preserved them. Really, if Striker had killed those squids, they'd be mush like the ones Chamber did.

As for Pinion, he's a moron in my opinion. The people following them are punch drunk with the find at the moment (btw, they are happy about what happened, though not so much for the dead whalesquid but the haul of tech) and hopefully enough of them will wake up and start backing up the Fleet Captain and get Pinion under control ASAP. I have a bad feeling that won't happen fast enough, however .
MeggieMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:34   Link #68
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Mummified? Nah, they look like dried squids it's a common food in Japan.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:44   Link #69
ChainLegacy
廉頗
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Massachusetts, US
Age: 25
Kugel and his cult make me speculate that perhaps he too has been changed by his time on Earth, but in an opposite way from Ledo. Instead of learning the simple, humble lifestyle that Ledo saw in Gargantia, Kugel may well have experienced the old adage of absolute power corrupts absolutely. After all, while life in the GA vs Hideauze conflict has plenty of drawbacks, life on Earth should certainly still have its shady side, thus far exemplified by pirates. Perhaps he has used his awesome might to become a king of sorts and brainwashed his followers into continuing his conflict against the Hideauze in an almost religious, dogmatic sort of way.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:46   Link #70
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
They didn't lose it, they simply suppress it. Ledo is a living proof of that.

I might change my mind if I see a Hideauze experiencing an existential crisis after knowing that humans are their ancestors.
You're judging a now non-human species based on human criterias. Of course they will fail. That's like judging a lion by its' ability to fly or a cat by its' ability to swim. The hideazu have their own way of life. If you rewatch ep 1, you will see the space hideaze have created some pretty amazing things.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:48   Link #71
Grey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Ledo's behavior was painfully inconsistent with vaporizing those pirates early on. It really bugged me that they didn't address that. I was thankful when Chamber gave his own analysis. It was interesting to hear.

Never expected Kugel to show up! Or his machine caliber anyway. Looks like he may have been taking down whalesquids too.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:50   Link #72
Terrestrial Dream
勇者
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tesla Leicht Institute
Age: 24
I think the difference with the pirates was that it changed the meaning of his existence. It wasn't the matter of killing humans, rather he believed he fought was for survival of humanity, not against fellow mankind.
__________________
Terrestrial Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 19:56   Link #73
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
You're judging a now non-human species based on human criterias.
Al that I'm saying is that they have lost their humanity, and you have just agreed with me by saying that they are a non-human species.
And we aren't talking about physical appearances here.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
The hideazu have their own way of life. If you rewatch ep 1, you will see the space hideaze have created some pretty amazing things.
Termites create amazing things too. How much sad makes you feel the knowledge that people completely exterminate them if they find them in their houses?
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:00   Link #74
Byakou
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Al that I'm saying is that they have lost their humanity, and you have just agreed with me by saying that they are a non-human species.
And we aren't talking about physical appearances here.




Termites create amazing things too. How much sad makes you feel the knowledge that people completely exterminate them if they find them in their houses?
Actually if you read I pointed out that the GA have also lost their humanity You argue that humans > hideazu. You're wrong, they're simply different. Termites isn't a fair comparison. It's more like watching star trek and saying humans are fundamentally superior to say, klingons. That's just dumb frankly, they're different species.
Byakou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:08   Link #75
triplez
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
This turn out different from in my head but it was so much better. I hate it when anime characters moan and groan and beat themselves up over many episodes.Good thing Chamber can put it all in perspective. His conclusion is sound. Both sides in the conflict cannot come to an understanding.The Hideauze use bio methods to expand and prosper. The Galactic Alliance creates AI, wormhole gates and Chamber to create their civilization. With little or no prospect for peace there can only be total war till one side emerge victorious.

I believe that Kugel did create a cult around himself to kill whalesquids. Afterall Ledo woke up much later after he got to Earth. It's very likely Kugel got salvaged much earlier but got a different response from his discoverers. To them he may well be a god sent to help them. For Ledo he decided to cooperate with Gargantia to find his own footing on Earth. Maybe Kughel decided it was best to appear Godlike so he can dominate his cult worshippers and survive on his terms.

It's getting very interesting now. Together they can unite Earth under one umbrella and set it on a similar course to the Galactic Alliance. Or if Kughel realize he will have more power here why would he even want to go home. Might be best to set up a new Human centered empire on Earth.

Can't wait to see how Ledo will react .
triplez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:11   Link #76
Traece
:cool:
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Idaho
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Ledo's behavior was painfully inconsistent with vaporizing those pirates early on. It really bugged me that they didn't address that. I was thankful when Chamber gave his own analysis. It was interesting to hear.

Never expected Kugel to show up! Or his machine caliber anyway. Looks like he may have been taking down whalesquids too.
In reality these are two very different issues. Previously the pirates were being used as a way for him to cement a place for himself in this unknown society. He had to make a show of force and capability. The pirates were also a threat to him (in that they would attempt to kill him and disrupt his lifestyle). Edit: Also I suspect that Ledo would think of the pirates as being like terrorists, or dissidents. Enemies to civilization. In this case, he knows what they are and what they represent. They're just humans who are bullying other humans. Not humans disguised as aliens.

The Hideauze threat was a sham. He was killing under the guise of them being this horrible alien lifeform trying to destroy their civilization. As it was said: He has seen the enemy, and he is us. That's why Chamber's dialogue at the end is important, because he's establishing the fact that: "Yes, 'we' are the enemy. But it's also motivated by politics and a heritage of hatred for one-another and nothing will change that. Get over it."

At the end of the day, the revelation isn't important at all. It doesn't change anything. It's just like your average mystery. Solving a mystery doesn't change the outcome. Sometimes it doesn't even change what happened at all.
__________________
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:19   Link #77
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
I am a bit confused: When Chamber was talking about how the Hideauze were "giving up their humanity", at that exact moment we could see the "cultists". Maybe their are PRO-Hideauze after all?

Or maybe it was just to show how the GA handles people who have "given up their humanity".
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:20   Link #78
mikeomni
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Wow, future comms suck. Encrypted photonic communication ... I assume that's something like laser comms which require line of sight. Why else would Kugel's unit wait so long to answer Ledo's SOS? It took primitive radio to bring them together.
mikeomni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:25   Link #79
yankky5
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Between a dragon(China) and a kangaroo(Australia)
Oh wow. this ep was just awesome the sheer depth of this ep was more than usual!! 10/10 for me, Definetely one of the best plot and character build up in this batch of animes.
__________________
http://www.wallpaperhere.com/thumbnails/detail/20111109/4eba21545dc9a.jpg
yankky5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-09, 20:29   Link #80
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
Actually if you read I pointed out that the GA have also lost their humanity
I don't think you have read a single thing of what I wrote.

Quote:
They didn't lose it, they simply suppress it. Ledo is a living proof of that.
Ledo and all of the members of the alliance are arguably still humans. They can stop being Nazi any time. that's not written in their genes.


I didn't even imply any kind of superiority in my previous posts I merely argued that while we have proofs that the alliance individuals are still human, we don't have any about the Hideauze, and you seem to agree that they aren't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakou View Post
It's more like watching star trek and saying humans are fundamentally superior to say, klingons. That's just dumb frankly, they're different species.
Klingons are intelligent, are capable of emotions, can develop a culture, can build civilizations, can be reasoned with, and can even make peace and accept agreements.

If Hideauze are capable of that (and I'm not saying that they must have all of the above), then I agree that they should be treated like humans. If they are not, then you'd need to explain why they should be treated any different than you would with termites.

If your only argument is that I think that anything non-human is automatically inferior to humans, you aren't talking to me but to a strawman.
__________________


Last edited by Jan-Poo; 2013-06-09 at 20:41.
Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.