AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 36 41.38%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 36 41.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 11 12.64%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 4.60%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-12, 18:13   Link #81
Auxilism
Acknowledged, proceeding
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: I do not remember
Has a head-on collision between the railgun and a meltdown blast occurred at some other time to warrant the 'meltdowner is more powerful' idea or are we just going with it has more range (all over the factory), faster firing rate and that the railgun uses normal matter which meltdowner disentegrates (no matter how fast it is moving or how destructive it becomes?)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Another issue that Mikoto faces is the fact that she can't seem to be moving about when she uses her Railgun. We've seen her falling straight down and standing stationary, but it seems she can't move about to use it.
Has she ever tried or have a reason to do so? Some people thought that Kuroko was teleporting faster but others refuted that claim due to her not having a reason to do so in the past (Railgun S episode one).

The fight with Accelerator does not count as a reason to start moving around and fire railguns if she could; he deflected it (without even seeing it?) with no problem so being mobile while firing the same thing does not help.

Feel free to spoil me via messaging. (Not asking for links, just information.)
__________________
Auxilism
オークシリスム
3rd Yuri Division
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-06-12 at 18:55.
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 19:03   Link #82
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Not necessarily more powerful, but the Railgun requires physical metal material to be used at all--and as we saw in this episode, Mugino's ability vaporizes metal on contact. So a beam war like the one we saw at the end of the first season (ugh) would end in Mugino's favor, since it's eat the Railgun shot. Or if Mugino gets a shield up in time (of which there's plenty, given the coin flip and power generation), the shot can't hit her. Considering that every time there's been a coin flip when Mikoto uses the Railgun, chances are there's a reason for it--might be part of her power build-up for the magnetism needed. And if that coinflip is needed, she can't move around to fire it, because she's still got to be there when the coin comes back down.

In other cases, though, as a railgun she'd need a stable firing ground to get a clean shot in, which also limits movement. Moving about while firing would make it harder for her to hit Mugino in a fast-paced battle.

And then there's the whole fact that the railgun is a single shot, while Mugino can utilize at LEAST three beams at once. So yeah, not moving is suicide against Mugino.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-12, 20:43   Link #83
Auxilism
Acknowledged, proceeding
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: I do not remember
Thank you for going more in-depth, it's necessary for anime only watchers to understand why you say something that might be from the manga or light novels. Even if you derived it completely from the anime, the scenes referenced should be mentioned and explained as people may see things differently/not see them as clearly. However, I was also talking to Marina2, sorry for not making it clear.

Maybe you disregard it because
Spoiler:
but Mikoto's railgun faced off Telestina's head on and Mikoto's kept going. I don't know if the coin Mikoto used disintegrated but it should due to crashing into another railgun, right?
__________________
Auxilism
オークシリスム
3rd Yuri Division
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).

Last edited by Auxilism; 2013-06-12 at 20:54.
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 01:03   Link #84
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
Mikoto's railgun faced off Telestina's head on and Mikoto's kept going. I don't know if the coin Mikoto used disintegrated but it should due to crashing into another railgun, right?
In that scene, I think J.C.Staff forgot that Railgun is not Laser beam.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 02:14   Link #85
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
That scene is wonky as all hell--the two shots should've destroyed each other upon impact, or one deflect the other, or both deflect, or one crash through the other instantaneously... it shouldn't have resulted in a beam war like that. It's right up there with the railgun shot Touma blocked in the manga--it shouldn't have happened like that.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 06:42   Link #86
Auxilism
Acknowledged, proceeding
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: I do not remember
I'm lazy to find the page you're talking about but I won't debate any further. I was planning a defense based on the Telestina battle (last episode of season one including the one with the car) but since you have such a strong opinion on it (please provide the manga chapter and page though if it's used as your evidence (no links)) not being in the manga I know it won't do much.

It was nothing much though, no points that I could disprove, just questioning the ambiguity of them.
__________________
Auxilism
オークシリスム
3rd Yuri Division
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 07:15   Link #87
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
I'm lazy to find the page you're talking about but I won't debate any further. I was planning a defense based on the Telestina battle (last episode of season one including the one with the car) but since you have such a strong opinion on it (please provide the manga chapter and page though if it's used as your evidence (no links)) not being in the manga I know it won't do much.

It was nothing much though, no points that I could disprove, just questioning the ambiguity of them.
Second half of the first season is anime original, there is no manga counterparts.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 08:36   Link #88
mangatron
Those glorious leggy's <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
YEAAAH I love me some Meltdown-chan! That 16 yr old agent voice, that one piece dress with a belt under her boobies, those zzzzettai legs, those heeled boots, the green lasers

That fight scene was so glorious I just had to use it as my avatar. If only I had more space... Maybe in another 10 years the file size limit will be raised to 150KB *runs*

Can't wait for the next ep I'm not strange for liking this series more than Index, am I? I just love the girls here, it just ended up that this series means a lot to me. Hmm, there's also that hilarious part where I'm drawn to the girls with an M name
__________________

She's not wearing a bra, right?
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 10:19   Link #89
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: France
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Can't wait for the next ep I'm not strange for liking this series more than Index, am I? I just love the girls here, it just ended up that this series means a lot to me. Hmm, there's also that hilarious part where I'm drawn to the girls with an M name
Not at all. A lot of people like Railgun more than Index, myself included.
__________________
Mikan & Yami
Kanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 11:18   Link #90
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
I'm lazy to find the page you're talking about but I won't debate any further. I was planning a defense based on the Telestina battle (last episode of season one including the one with the car) but since you have such a strong opinion on it (please provide the manga chapter and page though if it's used as your evidence (no links)) not being in the manga I know it won't do much.

It was nothing much though, no points that I could disprove, just questioning the ambiguity of them.
Like Marina2 said, the Kihara battle had no manga counterparts. What I had said about the railgun clash comes from simple physics. There was no way two physical projectiles hurled at such speeds via magnetism should've struck one another and fight to overpower one another. Even if Mikoto and Kihara's gun were using magnetism to hold the projectiles in place, at the very least Mikoto's shot should've eventually melted from the heat and friction. The attacks simply shouldn't have done what they did no matter how you slice it.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:11   Link #91
Auxilism
Acknowledged, proceeding
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: I do not remember
Maybe I misunderstood the reference to the manga...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
It's right up there with the railgun shot Touma blocked in the manga--
You were using a manga reference to debunk the railgun fight, correct? However, I agree that physics does not allow it to happen in the first place.
__________________
Auxilism
オークシリスム
3rd Yuri Division
Characters are from Madoka Magica, Symphogear and Sakura Trick.
Please see the uncompressed version on the right.
Click this for my gif request thread.Max quality version
I take gif requests here.
Please read the opening post (revised as of 22/8/2014).
Auxilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:17   Link #92
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Oh, that. I'll PM you about that, since people here really don't like it being brought up.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:18   Link #93
mangatron
Those glorious leggy's <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Not at all. A lot of people like Railgun more than Index, myself included.
Ah, that's good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Like Marina2 said, the Kihara battle had no manga counterparts. What I had said about the railgun clash comes from simple physics. There was no way two physical projectiles hurled at such speeds via magnetism should've struck one another and fight to overpower one another. Even if Mikoto and Kihara's gun were using magnetism to hold the projectiles in place, at the very least Mikoto's shot should've eventually melted from the heat and friction. The attacks simply shouldn't have done what they did no matter how you slice it.
I was watching this the other day, and I believe Therestina shot pure energy (I don't think she shot a projectile). Now I haven't continued my railgun studies since I moved to another project, but from what I know, Misaka had kinetic energy, and uh.... the way I saw it, Therestina's energy is, say artificial, whereas Misaka enjoys her natural ability.

Other than that, I think this discussion is best kept in the general thread
__________________

She's not wearing a bra, right?
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:26   Link #94
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Kihara said the weapon was designed around Mikoto's ability. Given the projectile coloring and appearance, it was a railgun and thus would've fired a physical projectile.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 12:56   Link #95
mangatron
Those glorious leggy's <3
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Why do girls and whips look so good together?
Send a message via Skype™ to mangatron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Kihara said the weapon was designed around Mikoto's ability. Given the projectile coloring and appearance, it was a railgun and thus would've fired a physical projectile.
The part that got me is that, the great Kihara research resulted in a weapon many times more powerful, all for one shot? I saw no cartridge system, so I assumed "Misaka's ability" meant her powers, not her "signature move".
__________________

She's not wearing a bra, right?
Wondering about my avatar/sig? Post a question here!
*Girls Und Panzer: 01-10 | Winter 2013 anime
My avatars & signatures
*Arpeggio Blue Steel avatars!

*Feel my Birthday! May 08 2014
________________________________
* Will not be fulfilling some requests till my health is 100%.
* Health currently at ??%, feeling very sick at the moment from my extremely bad luck...
* 10 years at Animesuki! Thank you everyone for putting up
with my posts all these years!
XD
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 13:22   Link #96
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The middle of the Middle of Nowhere
Age: 27
Mikoto's power doesn't fire energy beams, however, and the various tines that come up from around the barrel are likely magnetic coils of a sort. Given that it's designed like a gun, and not like, say, a tesla coil, I daresay it was a railgun. I could go further in depth as to why it wouldn't be an energy beam but chances are I'd get banned for "spoilers" even though it's not really a spoiler.
__________________
Rising Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 21:03   Link #97
Miraluka
Even after hope's lost...
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhalo191 View Post
You were using a manga reference to debunk the railgun fight, correct? However, I agree that physics does not allow it to happen in the first place.
Mikoto's railgun actually is just a coin that is moved by her esper power. The moment Touma touches it, the railgun becomes only an inmobile coin(aka returns to normal) as the electomagnetic force that moves it dissapears.

Since its way past their first meeting in railgun, the anime shafted their meeting on the bridge and...

Spoiler for Comparison to Index LN:



I omitted spoilers so there shouldn't be any problem.
__________________
Your last hope!

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-06-13 at 23:22. Reason: need spoiler tags for all comparison
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 22:52   Link #98
GundamZZ
残念美人
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfriback View Post
Mikoto's railgun actually is just a coin that is moved by her esper power. The moment Touma touches it, the railgun becomes only an inmobile coin(aka returns to normal) as the electomagnetic force that moves it dissapears.

Since its way past their first meeting in railgun, the anime shafted their meeting on the bridge and...


Touma not only has his right hand, he has the battle experience needed to match any and all of her attacks making them pretty useless against him.


I omitted spoilers so there shouldn't be any problem.
Your description of her lightning can go either way. The description implies that she's either a walking battery or she is only the agent of the weather control. The description implies her "lightning strike" can be a stun gun or a thunderstorm. It's the difference between small scale and large scale force. The description of her power is too ambiguous. Also, the anime only implies Touma and Mikoto standing at same place and making the same gesture.
__________________
流麗のヒステリア Hysteria of flowing beautifully
三つ腕のリヒティ Lichty of three arms
重剣のクロエ Chloe of giant sword
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-13, 23:20   Link #99
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Should we create a thread just to discuss the physics and potentiality of people's powers? I know there is such a thread in the Index LN forum, but do we need one here too? I think the conversation has veered too far away from what actually happened in Episode 9, so we need to reel it back in, but I'm not opposed to creating a thread if someone can propose it. Just submit it in the Request thread if you have a good idea.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-14, 01:52   Link #100
Marina2
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Should we create a thread just to discuss the physics and potentiality of people's powers? I know there is such a thread in the Index LN forum, but do we need one here too? I think the conversation has veered too far away from what actually happened in Episode 9, so we need to reel it back in, but I'm not opposed to creating a thread if someone can propose it. Just submit it in the Request thread if you have a good idea.
I think it's fine as it is.

This is ep.discussion topic. This anime gimmic is character's ability/skill.

We watched the ep -We saw a new ability introduced - We discuss about it as a part of ep. just like a plot, a story, etc.

Actually, in recent 2 eps. which focus on Mikoto battle vs ITEM, what are we support to discuss about if it isn't the abilities that used in battle.

Ability/skill discussion thread would be great as an optional thread but a discussion about ability/skill should be allowed in ep. discussion topic as well because sometime it's more convenient to just discuss about them right in the discussion topic of an ep. that showed them.

This is my viewpoint.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic44739_1.gif
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bad ass, miko-chan's plot armor, spider-mikoto

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.