AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Tech Support

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2006-02-05, 12:22   Link #1
kishinfoulux
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
CDRW troubles...

*sighs* alright ive burned several things to numerous cdrw's to save space on my computer. ive got music, videos, pdf files, etc. all sorts of things across different cd's. the thing is when i go back to use them they dont work. when i check out the contents of the cd's the stuff is definately there and definately taking up room on the cd but i always get something wrong with it. videos, for example, will play for a few seconds and than just stop. the pdf files wont be read. itll say something like "There was an error opening this document. A file I/O error has occurred". what the hell does that mean? this fucking sucks cause now i deleted all the stuff i put on my cd's so if they dont work from the cd's than there pretty much gone. can anybody tell me whats wrong?

oh yeah forgot to mention that the video files are labeled as "read only" files. also the cd doesnt even seem "read" since i cant hear it spinning. it makes a weird sound like it keeps spinning and slowing down and such.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-05, 18:07   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
Did you "lock" the CDRW's when you burned them? If you didn't, some drives may have difficulty reading them properly. Locking a CDRW basically closes the session completely and prevents further writing to the disc unless you completely wipe it.

I used to use CDRW's for my car's MP3 player (makes more sense than wasting CDR's every time I want to add a single song). If I didn't close the session, the player wouldn't be able to read the disc. Locking the CD fixed that problem.

If your problem is the same issue, you have a number of options: try reading with a different drive, or go back and lock all of the CDRW's. You should be able to do this without losing any of the data. If you use Nero, I may be able to help guide you. Try it for yourself, but if you run across any options or dialogues where you're not sure what they do or mean, STOP and post an image or description here, and someone will help guide you.

Finally, for the record, CDRW's and DVDRW's are considered the worst media to store data to. As I understand it you did this as a temporary solution, but I figure I'd mention it anyway.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 03:58   Link #3
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishinfoulux
A file I/O error has occurred". what the hell does that mean? this fucking sucks cause now i deleted all the stuff i put on my cd's so if they dont work from the cd's than there pretty much gone. can anybody tell me whats wrong?

oh yeah forgot to mention that the video files are labeled as "read only" files. also the cd doesnt even seem "read" since i cant hear it spinning. it makes a weird sound like it keeps spinning and slowing down and such.

Spinning and slowing down is a sign that the CD brand you used is bad for your drive. Your drive doesn't like it. Either the CD doesn't read/recon by the drive at all or you can see the contents and read it but at extremly low speeds where you get I/O errors if you try to copy the stuff in there. I got tons of CDs that are like that. Half of them became like that after a while . If you are using nero when burning you should have turned the option to check the contents after burning. There you can see the performance of your drive reading the data. If data is corrupted is corrupted then. Even if the data is not corrupted but for example the last sections of the disk the speed drops like hell... then the disk is not reliable.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 07:32   Link #4
kishinfoulux
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
ok thanks for the advice. ill try out what you said.

oh yeah the way i burned was i just dragged and dropped the files into the blank cd. ill go check out nero and give that a shot.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-06, 13:35   Link #5
kishinfoulux
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Did you "lock" the CDRW's when you burned them? If you didn't, some drives may have difficulty reading them properly. Locking a CDRW basically closes the session completely and prevents further writing to the disc unless you completely wipe it.

I used to use CDRW's for my car's MP3 player (makes more sense than wasting CDR's every time I want to add a single song). If I didn't close the session, the player wouldn't be able to read the disc. Locking the CD fixed that problem.

If your problem is the same issue, you have a number of options: try reading with a different drive, or go back and lock all of the CDRW's. You should be able to do this without losing any of the data. If you use Nero, I may be able to help guide you. Try it for yourself, but if you run across any options or dialogues where you're not sure what they do or mean, STOP and post an image or description here, and someone will help guide you.

Finally, for the record, CDRW's and DVDRW's are considered the worst media to store data to. As I understand it you did this as a temporary solution, but I figure I'd mention it anyway.
well the thing is the cd's do read (though sometimes it takes longer than it should) but its just the files wont work for whatever reason. so im guessing the "locking" thing isnt the issue this time around. like i said in the prior post i didnt use a program to burn the files to my cd's. i just dragged and dropped them in. im really at a lost as to what to do right now. could the solution have anything to possibily do with my driver maybe? im not computer savy so i wouldnt know.

Last edited by kishinfoulux; 2006-02-06 at 14:23.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 19:24   Link #6
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
I recommend trying to lock the CD anyway. Do a test with one CDRW and see what happens. Locking the CD won't wipe the CD, so there should be no data loss.
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-07, 19:27   Link #7
Kupo!
Shane-kun
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Age: 24
Send a message via AIM to Kupo! Send a message via MSN to Kupo! Send a message via Yahoo to Kupo!
Do you really have to use RWs? CD-Rs are far more reliable.
Kupo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 03:58   Link #8
Tiberium Wolf
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portugal
Age: 34
I have used RWs and never had a problem.

BTW, 1 thing you should have done is check the stuff you burned. The stuff could be corrupted. That's why nowadays I always use nero function to check after burn before delete the stuff in the HD and also include in the burned contents a sfv file with the CRC codes.

I suppose you dont have the CRC codes for the stuff you burned.
__________________
Tiberium Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 07:15   Link #9
kishinfoulux
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I recommend trying to lock the CD anyway. Do a test with one CDRW and see what happens. Locking the CD won't wipe the CD, so there should be no data loss.
can i lock the cd even if i didnt use nero to burn it? like i said i just dragged and dropped the files onto the blank cd but if there is a way id like to try it.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-08, 20:30   Link #10
Ledgem
Love Yourself
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northeast USA
Age: 29
I'm not sure, actually. Do you have Nero? Basically, here's what would happen: you're stick the CDRW in, and then open Nero. Depending on what mode you're in, Expert or... non-expert, you'll have to choose an option about continuing a session. At that point, Nero would open up a window showing you all sessions that had been performed on that disc.

But since there's already data on the disc and it isn't locked, it may not even matter: Nero should be able to lock the disc regardless, I think. To be honest, I've never tried it. I should have some CDRWs with me, though. If you haven't resolved the issue by the weekend, I'll try writing to it through Windows and then locking via Nero, and let you know if it works, as well as how to do it (if you want).
__________________
Ledgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 07:40   Link #11
kishinfoulux
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
thanks for the offer but i decided to just get some cd-r's instead. i appreciate the help though. i wouldve tried it but i dont have nero anyways.
kishinfoulux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.