AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Games

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-17, 00:26   Link #1461
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
To each their own. For some consumers, these "issues" have no bearing on them.
That's a good point.

I mean there's a lot of noise but the question is how much will this actually make a difference?

For the record it could be that the XBOX 1 will sell even better than the PS4 even with all of these flaws and that's probably what Microsoft is betting on. All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 00:40   Link #1462
Slayerx
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
Well that's simply not true, There have been plenty of xbox fan that HATE this decision and if not for all the bullshit would have preordered by now. However
the point remains possibly true because the most vocal of fans on the internet do NOT necessarily represent the feelings of most consumers who DON'T keep track of Xbox news.

Though those users with poor or no internet will be very unplesently surprised if they pick up an xbox one only to find it won't work.
__________________
Slayerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 00:58   Link #1463
Alchemist007
自分のチームにいるよ。
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: USA
Age: 26
I probably wouldn't have too much to worry about with the xbone. I have stable high speed internet and I usually don't buy games second hand. The thing is, I'm not comfortable contributing to a bad business practice, but I think my biggest quip on launch would be the price. I got a used PS3 for $175 recently and some older big name games for a fraction of the cost of a new game. It's a fairly old console now but the other big advantage (and the reason I bought it now) is the huge library of games.

As far as the current xbone lineup looks, only a few games caught my eye and only one was actually an exclusive (if it's available on PC, I'd rather get that). So I think if I'm ever going to get an xbone, it would be pending my ability to accept the drm policies, and how far down in price it goes as well as the exclusive library lineup.
__________________
Alchemist007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 06:25   Link #1464
com_gwp
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Odd thought popped into my head last night: Since the Xbox One has a HDMI In, what are the chances I'll be able to hook up a PS4 to it?

Was it specifically mentioned anywhere how the box is supposed to act as a receiver? This could be something that would genuinely interest me about the system.
com_gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 06:43   Link #1465
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by saravis View Post
Exactly, ONE, no more. If you want to play some Halo or hit up some tag team fighter or play an MMO with your friends, you are out of luck. Even with just single-player, if you have two other people playing at the same time, you'll have to either wait or contact them and ask them to stop. If, that is, you can actually see who is currently playing. If not, you'll have to just wait or contact everyone you've shared the game with. Don't underestimate the likelihood of conflict.
What exactly is your point? You're saying 2 people being able to play off a single purchase is bad or something, it's better than it currently is via disc or steam. One of my best mates who died a few years back was a massive gamer, we would've taken advantage of this shit so bad.

Oh and maybe don't make 9 other big games your "family" so that conflict doesn't arise, be smart about it.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 07:28   Link #1466
GDB
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
For the record it could be that the XBOX 1 will sell even better than the PS4 even with all of these flaws and that's probably what Microsoft is betting on. All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
One could also be struck by lightning. Doesn't mean you should bet on it happening. It's obvious that's what Microsoft is betting on, but it doesn't make it a good idea. And don't assume people are going to buy it anyway, I know I sure as hell won't. It literally has nothing to offer me.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 08:26   Link #1467
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
That's a good point.

I mean there's a lot of noise but the question is how much will this actually make a difference?

For the record it could be that the XBOX 1 will sell even better than the PS4 even with all of these flaws and that's probably what Microsoft is betting on. All this hate are coming from people who would buy it anyways.
At this point, Microsoft is running scared. They're looking at the possibility of Sony shipping 3-4 million units by Christmas while the Xbone might be looking at < 800,000 in the same time frame. This isn't even a sales forecast - it's a prediction of how quickly these companies can build consoles. While the console war isn't over right now, if this were to happen, then it would be.

They can't even market properly because the people behind the scenes are terrified, and have no way of effectively communicating their ideas. And this is the least of Microsoft's concerns. They still might have to finalize their hardware, they still don't have mature development tools, and all of the games are going to be behind. The Xbone's ship date might slip to December, while Sony is teasing at a late October launch.

Here's a good example of Microsoft's woes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-with-xbox-one
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 09:06   Link #1468
Westlo
Lets be reality
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
eh there's noway xbone outsells the ps4, the 360 is barely ahead of the ps3 right now and it had a lot of factors going for it.

* Released a year earlier
* Lower price point
* Superior multiiplat titles
* Easier to code for
* XBL as the definitive console online experience
* Gears of War killer app (was much bigger than Uncharted early days)


Now ps4 will release around the same time, is $100 cheaper, is more powerful, easier to code for, will have the superior multiplat titles, ps+ > xbl in terms of what it gives you.

All Sony have to do is break even in America and they will beat MS. If the ps3 and 360 american sales were swapped around the ps3 would be the #1 selling console this gen.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:14   Link #1469
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 25
Images
You guys need some motivation to buy the XBox One
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:40   Link #1470
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
eh there's noway xbone outsells the ps4, the 360 is barely ahead of the ps3 right now and it had a lot of factors going for it.

* Released a year earlier
* Lower price point
* Superior multiiplat titles
* Easier to code for
* XBL as the definitive console online experience
* Gears of War killer app (was much bigger than Uncharted early days)
The 360 had a wide and strong range of early years exclusives too. Mass Effect, Halo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Halo, Vesperia, etc. Some went to the PS3 as timed exclusives, but mostly 360 had the huge momentum very early.

Right now? Aside from Halo and Forza, I don't know if they have any other gaming IPs worth a damn. Gears has went down the drain. Even Fable's lost a lot of its early magic.

I don't know if they have any real edge going into this war. If there's one thing, ironically... It would be the fact that the Japanese gaming scene hasn't transitioned well into the next-gen HD.

Only the big studios like Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bamco & a few others are the ones who's really playing seriously in the next-gen scene... and because these studios also have a strong stake in the western markets, they're more likely to go multi-platform for a majority of their games.

As most of the Japanese gaming scene seems content to focus in the 3DS/PSP/Vita market, the "Japan" advantage wouldn't be as strong as it used to be.

... Sony really needs to invest into more Japanese 1st-party studios.
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 10:57   Link #1471
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: On the whole, I'd rather be in Kyoto ...
Age: 57
Penny Arcade offers their two cents: breathable air.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/12
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 11:10   Link #1472
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Your daily dose of quotables and PR nightmare.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-defends-xbox-one-500-price-point-were-over-delivering-value-6410352

Tl;dr Microsoft : You should be paying us thousands of dollars, so fuck you for not liking $500
__________________
Night~and~Gale: ~ The Final Mythology of the Man who Defied Destiny.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 11:11   Link #1473
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
The 360 had a wide and strong range of early years exclusives too. Mass Effect, Halo, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Halo, Vesperia, etc. Some went to the PS3 as timed exclusives, but mostly 360 had the huge momentum very early.

Right now? Aside from Halo and Forza, I don't know if they have any other gaming IPs worth a damn. Gears has went down the drain. Even Fable's lost a lot of its early magic.
Microsoft's attitude towards their Xbox division is very different now than in 2006. Since 2010, they've gutted their game studios and the output has gone down the tubes unless you count Kinect games.

I don't know if they have any real edge going into this war. If there's one thing, ironically... It would be the fact that the Japanese gaming scene hasn't transitioned well into the next-gen HD.

Only the big studios like Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Bamco & a few others are the ones who's really playing seriously in the next-gen scene... and because these studios also have a strong stake in the western markets, they're more likely to go multi-platform for a majority of their games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
As most of the Japanese gaming scene seems content to focus in the 3DS/PSP/Vita market, the "Japan" advantage wouldn't be as strong as it used to be.

... Sony really needs to invest into more Japanese 1st-party studios.
The PS3 is still a pretty popular development platform. Sony really should put their Japanese studios into better use though - right now they're still developing on PS3 (Rain, Puppeteer).
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 12:56   Link #1474
Eclipze
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
As opposed to every other console, where only 1 person can play each game at the same time?
Like when you wanna have ten of your friends play online on separate boxes and you have to have 10 consoles, and 10 games? That's so much easier.




Look. There are plenty of things to question about the Xboxone sharing model. Like whether the friend restrictions on the sharing make up for physical trading. Or if the limits on the number of friends would be an issue. But seriously. But lets not mindlessly complain about it not letting dozens of people remotely play a game, when no other console in existence has done that. That one feature is a pretty big innovation. Maybe it doesn't make up for all the Xboxone's shortcoming (incluing the sharing model itself), but it's immature to just write it off going by impossible standards.
Cool concept, but if publishers are not forced to enable this feature for their games, chances are the games you CAN share would be super limited. You could say better than none, sure. Lets count on their kinect dance titles.

And yes, I totally forgot that this only applies to single player mode. Multiplayer still requires an individual copy.

Then we don't know the restrictions on the "family list". Is the list permanent or do you have to wait 30/60/90 days to change the people on the list? If permanent and all the people on your list ends up moving out of the country/state and decided not to game anymore, your family list ends up being completely useless?
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 14:01   Link #1475
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Now ps4 will release around the same time, is $100 cheaper, is more powerful, easier to code for, will have the superior multiplat titles, ps+ > xbl in terms of what it gives you.
Where'd you get that? (in bold)

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:00   Link #1476
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Age: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
At this point, Microsoft is running scared. They're looking at the possibility of Sony shipping 3-4 million units by Christmas while the Xbone might be looking at < 800,000 in the same time frame. This isn't even a sales forecast - it's a prediction of how quickly these companies can build consoles. While the console war isn't over right now, if this were to happen, then it would be.

They can't even market properly because the people behind the scenes are terrified, and have no way of effectively communicating their ideas. And this is the least of Microsoft's concerns. They still might have to finalize their hardware, they still don't have mature development tools, and all of the games are going to be behind. The Xbone's ship date might slip to December, while Sony is teasing at a late October launch.

Here's a good example of Microsoft's woes:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-with-xbox-one
I understand it's just that

http://www.policymic.com/articles/48...says-microsoft

With the attitude they are displaying to me they are more than confident that they'll do good enough or even better than the PS4 despite all of these "noises"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:04   Link #1477
Newprimus
TRUST IN LITTLE SISTER
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Where'd you get that? (in bold)

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
The easier to code for comes from two things: the fact that PS4 doesn't have to juggle ESRAM, and because at least one developer has stated that PS4's development tools are more mature at the moment.
__________________
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU.

BUT LITTLE SISTER WATCHES BIG BROTHER.

LITTLE SISTER KNOWS BEST.
Newprimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:15   Link #1478
4Tran
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry View Post
Where'd you get that? (in bold)

I think sometimes people make very strong statements without the facts. Wishful thinking.
Via Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/

Quote:
"One thing we could have done is drop it down to 128-bit bus, which would drop the bandwidth to 88 gigabytes per second, and then have eDRAM on chip to bring the performance back up again," said Cerny. While that solution initially looked appealing to the team due to its ease of manufacturability, it was abandoned thanks to the complexity it would add for developers. "We did not want to create some kind of puzzle that the development community would have to solve in order to create their games. And so we stayed true to the philosophy of unified memory."
The direction that Cerny decided against is precisely the one that the Xbone took.

As for better multi-platform games, the more powerful the console, the better the graphics are going to be. The PS4 is about 1.5x the power of the Xbone, so the difference there is pretty significant. Early on, Sony's superior development tools may make a difference as well. It's not wishful thinking - it's math.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SoldierOfDarkness View Post
I understand it's just that

http://www.policymic.com/articles/48...says-microsoft

With the attitude they are displaying to me they are more than confident that they'll do good enough or even better than the PS4 despite all of these "noises"
If it were confidence, then all of the Microsoft executives would be on point with their messaging - each one of them would be repeating the same few points. What we're getting is that they're talking about all sorts of different points and often contradicting each other. This is panic - the preorder numbers, the sales projections, the production projections, and the way that their messaging has backfired are all beyond Microsoft's expectations, and I don't know if they have any idea for how to deal with it. When and if they stop making flubs and getting on point, we'll know that they have gotten their act together. Right now, it's the kind of material that will start showing up in business and marketing classes all over the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
The easier to code for comes from two things: the fact that PS4 doesn't have to juggle ESRAM, and because at least one developer has stated that PS4's development tools are more mature at the moment.
Game studios aren't supposed to let on that a platform they're developing for has issues, but Avalanche let that slip a couple of weeks ago.
__________________
The victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won...
4Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 15:35   Link #1479
Dirty_Harry
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Via Gamasutra: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/
The direction that Cerny decided against is precisely the one that the Xbone took.

As for better multi-platform games, the more powerful the console, the better the graphics are going to be. The PS4 is about 1.5x the power of the Xbone, so the difference there is pretty significant. Early on, Sony's superior development tools may make a difference as well. It's not wishful thinking - it's math.
This doesn't mean much. Cerny is obviously partial when referring to the PS4 architecture. What he says makes sense, but without knowing exactly what are the developing tools from both consoles, this is still remains wishful thinking, not math.

I'm still waiting for some expert on the architectures to do a more technical and detailed review, and without bias. Yet without knowing the developing tools, there is no way to have a certainty about it.

I prefer to wait for the launch and really see the truth of the matter firsthand. And not to be making hasty judgments about facts not too solids.

Well, anyway I'll be on PC this generation. So long as they make games for PC, I'm glad.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-17, 17:11   Link #1480
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Snake Way
Age: 26
Send a message via AIM to Kyero Fox
__________________
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.