AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2013-06-17, 22:15   Link #41
Assort Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonea View Post
Very cute! you portrayed the characters' trait accurately IMO.
but maybe Reine should be in an "I approve" pose IMO, since she's almost like Kotori's right hand.
I was going for a "silent schemer" look for Reine, though but from the result, it seems like she's in disapprove somehow

Quote:
Liquify tool is a tool in Photoshop. Just like the name, that's how it feels like when using it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
The Liquify tool is basically a more precise version of the transform tool in SAI. You can use it to make a fat person skinnier, nose smaller or make eyes bigger, etc. I thought you may have used something similar on Kotori's left eye to make it look wider but I guessed wrong.
Oh, I see. From the name alone, I would have guessed it's some kind of blur tool in PS. But that sounds interesting. I don't use Sai's transformation tool much except for playing around with circle and rectangle.
Once again, this is another case of realizing the fault after everything's set in stone
Old 2013-06-18, 04:32   Link #42
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
I was going for a "silent schemer" look for Reine, though but from the result, it seems like she's in disapprove somehow

Oh, I see. From the name alone, I would have guessed it's some kind of blur tool in PS. But that sounds interesting. I don't use Sai's transformation tool much except for playing around with circle and rectangle.
Once again, this is another case of realizing the fault after everything's set in stone
For me she looks like being speechless I think a yellow sparkle near her head would suit better and give a feel of "just as planned".

Don't worry about the late realization since it happens all the time
sometimes the sketch looks better than the lineart, and then the lineart looks better than the colored version, and so on.
Old 2013-07-27, 04:38   Link #43
Assort Dis

Time for update after quite some time of inactive

So I got the urge to draw Homura after finished watching the two movies. Can't wait for the third movie.

Old 2013-07-27, 05:53   Link #44
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
That's really nice artwork.

Homura looks so incredibly moe and elegant here. I particularly liked your handling of her legs and her outfit. You really captured her dark elegance and femininity there.

Your Rubik's Cubes are very well-drawn, and I love the shattered glass mixed with shimmering bluish-purple "sky" background. The whole picture feels exceptionally magical, which is fitting given the magical nature of the Puella Magi world.

There's honestly precious little to critique here. Homura's facial expression is a bit OoC for the post-Moemura version of her, but that is also partly what makes her so moe here. If you do draw Homura again in the future, it might be nice to see if you can capture her with a sterner/"cooler" expression.

9.2/10 is my grade for this picture. Great work.
Old 2013-07-27, 06:14   Link #45
Megacrash Gr
Van!shment Th!s World!!

Send a message via AIM to Megacrash Gr
I love your artworks! I am new fan of yours, looking forward for your next works .
Old 2013-07-27, 10:05   Link #46
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I like this work of yours. It seems that it takes quite a lot of effort to make. The color gradients on the background is especially nice. It gives a feel of serene yet mysterious dimension. Very suitable to the situation after the final battle IMO where it seems that everything is at peace but we're not really sure about it.

If there's anything I could add, maybe it's the ribbons, both the red one, and the purple ones on her back. They don't seem flexible enough... although I'm also well aware that it's difficult to do.

Another thing is the outer lines of her feet, particularly her calfs. The lines aren't truly visible so it seems like her feet is kinda joined together might as well give a little shade for her inner right calf as it is covered by her left one.
Old 2013-07-27, 18:28   Link #47
winhlp32
(‿)

I too, found the blockish background quite appealing. I like how the cubes matches the "colors" of the other characters. I wonder if they're also sitting on their cube somewhere we viewers cannot see them...

On Homura, I like what you did with the frilly stuff on the skirt and the pattern on the sock. For me it seems she looks quite a bit younger than her anime counterpart?
Also, I thought the ribbon looked quite okay.

This is similar to your picture of Oreki, where the light is coming towards the viewer. Maybe higher contrasts between the lights and the shadows next time?
       /
      / \|
    /
winhlp32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-27, 20:34   Link #48
Assort Dis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
That's really nice artwork.

Homura looks so incredibly moe and elegant here. I particularly liked your handling of her legs and her outfit. You really captured her dark elegance and femininity there.

Your Rubik's Cubes are very well-drawn, and I love the shattered glass mixed with shimmering bluish-purple "sky" background. The whole picture feels exceptionally magical, which is fitting given the magical nature of the Puella Magi world.

There's honestly precious little to critique here. Homura's facial expression is a bit OoC for the post-Moemura version of her, but that is also partly what makes her so moe here. If you do draw Homura again in the future, it might be nice to see if you can capture her with a sterner/"cooler" expression.

9.2/10 is my grade for this picture. Great work.
Wow, thanks so much for the high mark

And yes, I realized I should've made Homura's eyes a bit sharper just to show that she has been through a lot. Initially, the concept for this picture has a more light-hearted feel to it so there are some parts from that stage remains in the final product

Well, the third movie is coming so it's no doubt that I'm going to draw something related to the series again. I'll try to keep them in character next time.

EDIT: I've sent a reply to your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megacrash Gr View Post
I love your artworks! I am new fan of yours, looking forward for your next works .
Thank you for your comment, glad to see you here, too Can't believe I have a fan now

Quote:
I like this work of yours. It seems that it takes quite a lot of effort to make. The color gradients on the background is especially nice. It gives a feel of serene yet mysterious dimension. Very suitable to the situation after the final battle IMO where it seems that everything is at peace but we're not really sure about it.

If there's anything I could add, maybe it's the ribbons, both the red one, and the purple ones on her back. They don't seem flexible enough... although I'm also well aware that it's difficult to do.

Another thing is the outer lines of her feet, particularly her calfs. The lines aren't truly visible so it seems like her feet is kinda joined together might as well give a little shade for her inner right calf as it is covered by her left one.
A lot of effort and time poured into this one, indeed. There is actually an area in the purple ribbon that makes it feel weird midway. I was hoping it won't be get noticed but it seems it can't escape your eyes then

I'll take note of the shade in her calfs. Thanks for pointing it out and for your comment as always.

Quote:
I too, found the blockish background quite appealing. I like how the cubes matches the "colors" of the other characters. I wonder if they're also sitting on their cube somewhere we viewers cannot see them...

On Homura, I like what you did with the frilly stuff on the skirt and the pattern on the sock. For me it seems she looks quite a bit younger than her anime counterpart?
Also, I thought the ribbon looked quite okay.

This is similar to your picture of Oreki, where the light is coming towards the viewer. Maybe higher contrasts between the lights and the shadows next time?
I-I'm sorry there are no other characters aside from Homura here

Yeah, she clearly doesn't look as mature as the one in the anime. I'll be careful with this next time.

Oh I see, it's higher contrast. That's another one to go to my fixing list. Thank you very much for your input as always, appreciate it.

Last edited by Assort Dis; 2013-07-28 at 13:50.
Assort Dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-01, 04:53   Link #49
Assort Dis

Kiniro Mosaic is just too cute. I was torn between who to draw since everyone in this series is adorable incarnate. Anyway...

I wasn't sure if people can recognize Ayaya without her school uniform, though

Also a practice for painting water droplets.
Old 2013-08-01, 05:07   Link #50
Triple_R
Center Attraction

The water droplets look good to me.

Your anatomy work is pretty solid. Very nice attention to detail on the bikini.

Face and facial expression is displayed well. Face is nice and round, not overly angular or sharp. Ear is just the right size. Eyes and eyebrows are very convincing and well-done.

Your chibi off to the side is cute.

One strand of hair looks significantly longer than the other. I'm not all that familiar with this character, so maybe that's her thing? But if not, you might want to focus on hair strand length in the future.
Old 2013-08-01, 05:28   Link #51
winhlp32
(‿)

How indecent.

But seriously, you've come very far since the last time you posted swimsuit-clad woman back in April. Your proportions and coloring has improved a lot. And you draw some very cute chibis. Keep up the good work!

I thought the right hand is a bit too long, thought the calf could be a bit longer. The water droplets on the hair looks great, but for me the droplets on the skin looks a bit big and on the white side. More suntan lotion than water. I thought everything else was solid.
       /
      / \|
    /
Old 2013-08-01, 06:15   Link #52
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Quote:
How indecent.

But seriously, you've come very far since the last time you posted swimsuit-clad woman back in April. Your proportions and coloring has improved a lot. And you draw some very cute chibis. Keep up the good work!

I thought the right hand is a bit too long, thought the calf could be a bit longer.
I think the right hand looks great. If it was any shorter or smaller, I think it would look overly small relative to the character's face and left hand.

Quote:
The water droplets on the hair looks great, but for me the droplets on the skin looks a bit big and on the white side.
The larger ones are excessive, yeah. The smaller ones are good, though.
Old 2013-08-01, 17:12   Link #53
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assort Dis View Post
A lot of effort and time poured into this one, indeed. There is actually an area in the purple ribbon that makes it feel weird midway. I was hoping it won't be get noticed but it seems it can't escape your eyes then

I'll take note of the shade in her calfs. Thanks for pointing it out and for your comment as always.
You make me sound like I'm searching for faults those are minor issues anyway, so don't worry about them.

-----------

Ayaya!

This drawing really shows that you've improved in drawing... ahem... female body that curvy hip lines are just gorgeous, although Aya's body isn't that curvy but I don't mind in the slightest
Her shy expression is also very well done and accurate to the character. Like I said before, this is one of your strong point IMO.

As for Aya herself, I think her blue twintail is already her trademark (especially coupled with her shy face).

As for her hands, her right one indeed seem longer than the other. IMO this might be due to perspective. Maybe lowering her palm placement a bit below her right elbow would make it look better. The water droplets could use some transparency too. Try to "fill" them with more skin color rather than plain white color (or make an effect of transparency if you could), and use skin shade color for their outlines instead of usual gray / black ones.

Oh, one more thing, I think her eyes in the chibi form should use the "empty eyes" instead of normal ones. Since in the anime they're always like that when the characters regressing into chibi form
Spoiler for example:

Overall, very nice work! you did quite a lot improvement.
Old 2013-08-01, 17:44   Link #54
Triple_R
Center Attraction

I still don't see how the right hand is actually longer than the left hand. The left hand appears balled up (like a fist), so it makes sense its not taking up as much space as the right hand is as the right hand is in a claw-like formation. For a test, just ball up your left hand, and put it next to your right hand in a claw formation, and you'll see that the right hand is naturally "longer" when in a claw formation (because of the knuckles and part of the fingers).

I honestly think that Assort Dis has done a wonderful job with the hands. It's impressively true to real-life anatomy in a few subtle ways.
Old 2013-08-01, 18:24   Link #55
winhlp32
(‿)

I thought the right arm was a little too long in general, not how it compares to the left arm.

I umm...tried to replicate Aya's pose myself. Fingers by itself may be okay, but I found it's very difficult for the palm of the right hand to reach the floor when one's kneeling like that. That's why I thought the arm was too long.

Of course, it may just be that I'm not a very flexible person?
       /
      / \|
    /

Last edited by winhlp32; 2013-08-01 at 18:41. Reason: Sorry, I meant to say arm as well, not hand.
Old 2013-08-01, 18:33   Link #56
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I still don't see how the right hand is actually longer than the left hand. The left hand appears balled up (like a fist), so it makes sense its not taking up as much space as the right hand is as the right hand is in a claw-like formation. For a test, just ball up your left hand, and put it next to your right hand in a claw formation, and you'll see that the right hand is naturally "longer" when in a claw formation (because of the knuckles and part of the fingers).

I honestly think that Assort Dis has done a wonderful job with the hands. It's impressively true to real-life anatomy in a few subtle ways.
To clarify things, I meant the right arm (particularly the forearm), not the right hand.

Quote:
I umm...tried to replicate Aya's pose myself. Fingers by itself may be okay, but I found it's very difficult for the palm of the right hand to reach the floor when one's kneeling like that. That's why I thought the hand was too long.

Of course, it may just be that I'm not a very flexible person?
^ because of this. We as artists do try the pose ourselves all the time, lol XD I tried the pose too and I think it's not possible indeed unless we lower our body furthermore. Our hand will touch the ground fully when we make the "orz" pose.
I believe the right forearm should be shortened a bit and the hand itself could still touch the ground but only the fingers, not the palm.
Old 2013-08-01, 18:42   Link #57
Triple_R
Center Attraction

Oh, I see what you guys are saying now. Yeah, the arm length is maybe a bit too long. I agree that it might be better if only the fingers were touching the ground.
Old 2013-08-01, 21:06   Link #58
Assort Dis

The right arm is indeed long. When I was starting to color, I thought to myself "Isn't that arm impossible?" . But well, I was too lazy to go back and fix it. I also think it will be more accurate if only the finger tips touch the ground. I think this is probably because I was aiming to draw a "looking view from below" perspective but failed and ended up getting a side view instead.

Quote:

One strand of hair looks significantly longer than the other. I'm not all that familiar with this character, so maybe that's her thing? But if not, you might want to focus on hair strand length in the future.
Err, you're right about her right hair strand, it's definitely shorter than the other one Makes me wonder how could I miss it when it's this obvious and only realized when you pointed it out...

Quote:
Thank you for your praise ). It really takes time to draw while looking at my own hands though

Quote:

The larger ones are excessive, yeah. The smaller ones are good, though.

Quote:
How indecent.

I thought the right hand is a bit too long, thought the calf could be a bit longer. The water droplets on the hair looks great, but for me the droplets on the skin looks a bit big and on the white side. More suntan lotion than water. I thought everything else was solid.
April... has it been that long already...

The droplets was really overdone . I tried to make myself remember how to paint those so they are a bit excessive and wrong at some place . For some reason, it's really hard to make the droplets on the skin stands out whereas it looks quite good on the hair

Quote:
skip
I thought it's great that you can find those little faults though. It's these little ones that will ruin the whole picture when combined.

As for the droplets... I see, so it's the skin shade. To be honest, I thought about making them transparent but don't know how I think I'll need to play with SAI some more.

Oh right, I forgot how her eyes look when they started to shout "Ayaya"

Thank you very much for everyone's inputs as always. It's these comments that motivates me to improve

...I think for the the next few pieces, I'm going to draw more girls in swimsuits just to focus a bit on the anatomy since I tend to skip some things when there are clothes on. I hope you guys don't mind the upcoming lewd pictures
Old 2013-08-17, 05:27   Link #59
Assort Dis

For this one, I sort of getting inspiration from Madoka - The different story. A pretty good read, especially when it shows more insights into Mami's character.

Mami's hairstyle is surprisingly difficult to draw
Old 2013-08-17, 05:45   Link #60
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

That is veeery well done... looks like that Ayaya pic really clicked something in your drawing. You did very well with her body. The proportions and angles are just right.
The overall atmosphere, including the lighting, coloring, and shading are also well done, too and even better than your last pics. The water droplets around her body and her muskets are particulary good too. The droplets look more natural and you can make her muskets (rifles) have the metal material feel on them.

If there are some things I could point out, it'd be Mami's eyes (is she crying?). I believe her eye curve is slanted outward instead of inward, as she has the "sleepy" expression all the time. The skirt ruffles are also should be centered from her hips, and the most important one is.... I believe her chest size should be at least 3 times of that

Overall, I think now it's my turn to ask for some tips from you!

Last edited by Ryonea; 2013-08-17 at 10:37.
Ryonea is offline   Reply With Quote