AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S - Episode 7 Rating
Perfect 10 9 10.59%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 13 15.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 14.12%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 21.18%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 23.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 8 9.41%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 4.71%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-01, 07:56   Link #101
freeofgreed
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
All I would say is that this anime has never strictly followed the manga, and already has a known pattern (in the first season) of adding additional focus on the other heroines in the story. A focus that -- I understand -- the original manga lacks. So it's totally logical and expected that the anime would insert some additional focus on the other main characters when it makes sense in the story to do so, and this was already what was advertised/promised.

Being "concise" is not necessarily their objective, and it needn't be given that they have enough time. And in the meantime it presents a broader perspective that the story's original version lacked... even if you don't see the value added. I still think the way it was presented adds value in a way that a more "concise" version may not, so it's an opinion. But then again, I have not read the manga, nor do I intend to any time soon.


Yes, but, they still need to plan the season to fit the available content into the time available. They're not going to want to end in the middle of an arc, and it's difficult to adapt an arc that isn't yet finished.

Again, you should already know the way the first season was adapted. Based on it's success, it's logical to expect the same approach here.


Edit: In the end, I know that discussing this is pretty pointless, because pretty much any anime-original changes will be heavily-criticized unless they increase the action, because many of the manga readers see it as an action manga. Railgun has never been an action anime, even though it does have action scenes, but this balance of elements is the source of much consternation. Nothing I say is going to change the opinion these manga readers bring to the equation. (That doesn't mean that it's all action-biased manga readers... but that's certainly an element.)
Yeah I agree this is pretty much a matter of Opinion. However I do want to say after thinking about it that these episode exists for no other than as fanservice. WHich isn't a bad thing, even thought I haven't enjoyed them, I'am glad at least other people have enjoyed it, also them making Railgun focus on fanservice has made it much more successful sales wise than Index.

With that being mind I have to disagree with your point that these episodes actually expand on the story. One of your major arguments is that by showing a more detailed account of what Kuroko is doing we are more able to empathizes with her better, but my counter to that is, no we definitely do not need an entire episode for this to happen. Also even though I think the railgun filler is a lot better than most anime filler, I think your giving the writers at J.C. staff waaaay too much credit lol.

When I said that they had more than enough material to animate, I was more so referring to the Railgun light novels which they could've easily fit one if not both of them had they not done these filler episodes, and ended at a perfectly good position in the story.

Also you should give the manga a shot, even though it most definitely is a battle manga, it's different from your average garden variety one, in that the plot takes precedence over the battles, which is how I feel it should be.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 12:05   Link #102
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilidsor View Post
See I knew that they would be adding in filler scenes around the other girls so I was expecting it, my problem is that they're doing it at the wrong time. You haven't read the manga so let me just tell you that there's a point in this story that would be perfect for this sort of episode. Where this would have fit perfectly with the pacing rather than taking away from it. I just don't get why they can't wait until then.
I don't know... I think the timing as it was made perfect sense and was just fine. It fit just fine with the pacing as is, and was a logical point in the story flow to change perspectives (particularly given what we know now about what happens in the next episode). In the end, there may be more perspective shifts in later episodes as well, so it's premature to assume that they're not also going to place something in this "perfect spot", wherever it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
However I do want to say after thinking about it that these episode exists for no other than as fanservice. WHich isn't a bad thing, even thought I haven't enjoyed them, I'am glad at least other people have enjoyed it, also them making Railgun focus on fanservice has made it much more successful sales wise than Index.
...Fanservice? I'd hardly say that Episode 7 was heavy in "fanservice". It's a perspective shift, and a counter-story to the main story. Dismissing the whole thing as "fanservice" is even more aggravating and (IMO) inaccurate than calling it "pointless".


Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
One of your major arguments is that by showing a more detailed account of what Kuroko is doing we are more able to empathizes with her better, but my counter to that is, no we definitely do not need an entire episode for this to happen.
I'm not so convinced you're even trying to take any time to empathize with her or the other characters. "We knew how you felt already; let's just move on to the 'important stuff'" is not really all that empathic.


Anyway, it's pointless to argue.
__________________
[...]

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-06-01 at 12:18.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 12:15   Link #103
Ilidsor
Angelerator
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't know... I think the timing as it was made perfect sense and was just fine. It fit just fine with the pacing as is, and was a logical point in the story flow to change perspectives (particularly given what we know now about what happens in the next episode). In the end, there may be more perspective shifts in later episodes as well, so it's premature to assume that they're not also going to place something in this "perfect spot", wherever it is.
Well I guess that's just a difference of opinion. I just don't like the flow of Found out about problem -> episode of Kuroko watching Misaka suffer to solve the problem -> seeing Misaka start to solve the problem. Maybe with more actual scenes of Misaka attacking the facilities it would have worked for me, but it just didn't.
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic112299_1.gif
Ilidsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 12:23   Link #104
freeofgreed
Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
...Fanservice? I'd hardly say that Episode 7 was heavy in "fanservice". It's a perspective shift, and a counter-story to the main story. Dismissing the whole thing as "fanservice" is even more aggravating and (IMO) inaccurate than calling it "pointless".
I don't mean fanservice in the perveted sense. I mean it in the sense that they're giving characters who don't get a lot of screen time more screen time to please the fans of those characters.


Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I'm not so convinced you're even trying to take any time to empathize with her or the other characters. "We knew how you felt already; let's just move on to the 'important stuff'" is not really all that empathic.


Anyway, it's pointless to argue.
So because I don't like a filer episode, that means I don't Empathize with a character? That's a pretty big generalization of me on your part. I do empathize with Kuroko the point I'am trying to make is I don't need an episode like this in order to, you may, but me and a lot of others don't. That's all I'am trying to say.
freeofgreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 14:02   Link #105
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
I mean it in the sense that they're giving characters who don't get a lot of screen time more screen time to please the fans of those characters.
But the argument's a bit difficult then, because it just means they're appealing to fans not you. It's like "everything's fanservice if you're a fan of that thing". It's a bit weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeofgreed View Post
So because I don't like a filer episode, that means I don't Empathize with a character? That's a pretty big generalization of me on your part. I do empathize with Kuroko the point I'am trying to make is I don't need an episode like this in order to, you may, but me and a lot of others don't. That's all I'am trying to say.
It's the way you make the argument that seems to me to undermine the point of the episode, which was exemplified in the various ways you seemed to dismiss it. Even now, it's "I don't need an episode like this in order to [empathize], you may," which is again dismissive of what the episode was trying to accomplish. (Clearly it didn't achieve what it was aiming for for you, anyway.)

Anyway, again, it's just going around in circle. I'm totally 100% okay with your not enjoying the episode, so it's probably better to just leave it at that.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 22:10   Link #106
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
But the argument's a bit difficult then, because it just means they're appealing to fans not you. It's like "everything's fanservice if you're a fan of that thing". It's a bit weird.


It's the way you make the argument that seems to me to undermine the point of the episode, which was exemplified in the various ways you seemed to dismiss it. Even now, it's "I don't need an episode like this in order to [empathize], you may," which is again dismissive of what the episode was trying to accomplish. (Clearly it didn't achieve what it was aiming for for you, anyway.)

Anyway, again, it's just going around in circle. I'm totally 100% okay with your not enjoying the episode, so it's probably better to just leave it at that.
I am just curious: I may have missed your post on this if you mentioned this before. Is there any really big reason you haven't tried reading the manga? I had previously thought that you did read the manga so I'm kind of confused as to this.

If you haven't read the manga, it's a really fun/good/excellent read. It has a lot of great moments.

I'm just curious. Thanks in advance for the answer.

Also, this episode just restructures what happens in the manga, that's all. J.C. staff takes the time to improve how the manga was written to appeal to a larger audience. Personally, I prefer both versions of the way we see the material. Some people prefer one or the other, I just try to stay open-minded, it helps. You guys can of course dislike the material, but if you try to understand where the other person is coming from in terms of his/her opinion, you might realize something. That's all I'm going to say here. (not trying to sound like a Shonen manga protagonist when saying this )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 22:49   Link #107
relentlessflame
 
*Administrator
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Age: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Is there any really big reason you haven't tried reading the manga? I had previously thought that you did read the manga so I'm kind of confused as to this.
Well, at this point I'm watching the anime as the first viewing experience, and I think it gives a different perspective on what's going on. It's not like there's any shortage of manga readers to offer opinions about each episode.
__________________
[...]
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 23:23   Link #108
dniv
Science is Romance
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, at this point I'm watching the anime as the first viewing experience, and I think it gives a different perspective on what's going on. It's not like there's any shortage of manga readers to offer opinions about each episode.
I see your point

That's an interesting idea/way to watch it.

On another note, I feel twice as bad now when I accidentally foreshadow something knowing that you have to parse what is posted and put it in spoilers and/or delete it if it's a spoiler...
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 11:18   Link #109
kitten320
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Age: 24
I don't understand why everyone are complaining.
you can't have every episode action packed and it is important to know how Misaka's actions affect others.
__________________
kitten320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bitching fandom, more brooding

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We use Silk.