AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Attack on Titan

View Poll Results: Attack on Titan - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 17 18.68%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 19.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 19.78%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 17.58%
6 out of 10 : Average 11 12.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 5 5.49%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.30%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2013-06-25, 06:05   Link #121
Parchevich
Member
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Age: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
They'll probably keep enough eyeballs based on the moe-moe Mikasa shot, though. That I felt was very unlike her character--she's never shown the slightest romantic interest in Eren, and she shouldn't! They've been raised together as siblings from a young age--the Westermarck effect should be in full... effect!
Sorry, but you're wrong. Putting aside the question of whether Mikasa's shown any romantic interest in Eren, they haven't been raised as siblings at all. They met when they were 9, they didn't live together in a family setting for more than an year, Mikasa didn't call Eren's parents Mom & Dad and she wasn't adopted (Mikasa Ackerman, anyone?), and they've never called each other brother & sister.

Also, the Westermarck effect only applies to very young children, no later than their 7th year, and a lot of psychologists believe even that's too old and that the bulk of filial imprinting happens before the 5th year.

So when two kids meet when they're Eren and Mikasa's age the Westermarck effect DOESN'T APPLY AT ALL, and it's annoying to hear people keep repeating it like it's such a great argument.
Parchevich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 07:58   Link #122
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parchevich View Post
Sorry, but you're wrong. Putting aside the question of whether Mikasa's shown any romantic interest in Eren, they haven't been raised as siblings at all. They met when they were 9, they didn't live together in a family setting for more than an year, Mikasa didn't call Eren's parents Mom & Dad and she wasn't adopted (Mikasa Ackerman, anyone?), and they've never called each other brother & sister.

Also, the Westermarck effect only applies to very young children, no later than their 7th year, and a lot of psychologists believe even that's too old and that the bulk of filial imprinting happens before the 5th year.

So when two kids meet when they're Eren and Mikasa's age the Westermarck effect DOESN'T APPLY AT ALL, and it's annoying to hear people keep repeating it like it's such a great argument.
Maybe people like to use it, because "Westermarck" sounds German and a lot of things in Attack on Titan are German as well
Edvard Westermarck was actually from Finnland though... (source: Wikipedia)
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 19:19   Link #123
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Moe Land
Age: 33
9/10 excellent episode.

Nice development for Armin here it shows he has the brains and know how, also I thought Mikasa is already dead from the punch of Titan Eren, but guessing she's more agile than I thought

The only thing that dragged me here is the long talk inside of Eren's mind with Armin, but either way an excellent set up for the next episode.
__________________
Vampire+Sisters
kenjiharima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 21:04   Link #124
Crassa
Streamline
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Aincrad
I'm not even gonna give a turtle's ass about the pacing anymore. And oh boy I sure would like to punch Rico for being all cowardly but good thing she(?) had it resolved or else she would have been on my bad side the entire series.
__________________
Crassa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-25, 23:03   Link #125
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 21
there is that Armin can talk to him without Eren getting angry ? Mikasa will fine talk to Eren , he always annoy against it (that I noticed for a while)
:x
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 03:02   Link #126
chaos_alfa
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiaki_chan View Post
there is that Armin can talk to him without Eren getting angry ? Mikasa will fine talk to Eren , he always annoy against it (that I noticed for a while)
:x
That is because in most talks Mikasa wants to constantly protect Eren.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 04:12   Link #127
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: with Maki-sama
Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
That is because in most talks Mikasa wants to constantly protect Eren.
Yes is true .... poor Mikasa ... I still feel pain when he is shouting above
Eren baka! ><
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic211239_32.gif
Chiaki_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-26, 23:08   Link #128
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
That is because in most talks Mikasa wants to constantly protect Eren.
There's only so much smothering one can take before erupting.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 00:26   Link #129
Tougarashi
zutto soba ni ite ne
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
If he doesn't do utterly stupid things on and off, Armin is more or less useless. Crybaby and emo chibi he was but even the Pixis follow his plan. His seiyuu is very cute though .
__________________
Currently watching previous season anime: Chihayafuru 2

Current Season animes: Shingeki no Kyojin, Inu to Hasmi wa Tsukai yo
Tougarashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 01:59   Link #130
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassa View Post
I'm not even gonna give a turtle's ass about the pacing anymore. And oh boy I sure would like to punch Rico for being all cowardly but good thing she(?) had it resolved or else she would have been on my bad side the entire series.
I was particularly annoyed by people who thought the writing is poor because of Rico's attitude last episode, when I already figured she was going to be put in her place soon. Everything that was pointed out about the flaw in her logic was rightfully addressed by the more level headed superior. (Can't ever remember his name, but dude's great)

I swear, people jump to conclusions faster than a bullet train.
__________________
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 02:16   Link #131
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
you referring to Ian?
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 03:18   Link #132
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Actually i noticed something when I extracted the lyrics from the title song (NOT opening song). See that part with english translation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
[...]
And now again we witness once again: they have been victorious, we have lost
We always witness the victor, they obtained victory once again
They have won, we have lost, again and again being inferior to them
We've got enough, we've got enough, we've got enough of those titans!
[...]
When I saw this I immidietly had to think of Commander Pixis, who really hated losing against the Titans all the time.
__________________
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 09:41   Link #133
Triple_R
Center Attraction
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Newfoundland, Canada
Age: 32
Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just watched Episodes 8 through 12 after stalling this after Episode 7.

And yes... it's a shounen. Slow pacing is pretty much a staple of shounen shows. So I've adjusted for that by absorbing this at several episode-chunks at a time. That way, I find the slow pacing not so annoying, and it actually makes the show the anime equivalent of a great page-turner.


Even as a guy who's really tired of anime's never-evening love of incest, I don't have much problem with Eren/Mikasa as a romantic pairing at some point. The fact that Mikasa is basically an adopted sibling, their ages at first meeting, the fact they even maintain different last names - they just barely count as brother and sister.

Mikasa's extreme protectiveness of Eren is kind of cute to me. She definitely loves the guy deeply, whatever type of love that is. However, Eren understandably feels a bit smothered/babied by it, so I don't fault him for occasionally getting peeved over it.


Attack on Titan lays things on rather thick at times, and has a tendency to drag things out as much as possible without going into ridiculous DBZ-territory, but I think it's still a very good show. I hope this show is confirmed for at least three cours, though.
__________________
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 13:51   Link #134
darklegends8
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Just watched Episodes 8 through 12 after stalling this after Episode 7.

And yes... it's a shounen. Slow pacing is pretty much a staple of shounen shows. So I've adjusted for that by absorbing this at several episode-chunks at a time. That way, I find the slow pacing not so annoying, and it actually makes the show the anime equivalent of a great page-turner.


Even as a guy who's really tired of anime's never-evening love of incest, I don't have much problem with Eren/Mikasa as a romantic pairing at some point. The fact that Mikasa is basically an adopted sibling, their ages at first meeting, the fact they even maintain different last names - they just barely count as brother and sister.

Mikasa's extreme protectiveness of Eren is kind of cute to me. She definitely loves the guy deeply, whatever type of love that is. However, Eren understandably feels a bit smothered/babied by it, so I don't fault him for occasionally getting peeved over it.


Attack on Titan lays things on rather thick at times, and has a tendency to drag things out as much as possible without going into ridiculous DBZ-territory, but I think it's still a very good show. I hope this show is confirmed for at least three cours, though.
The dragging's mainly been because they keep pace with the manga, however perhaps they'll think about combining chapters in the future.
__________________
darklegends8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 19:21   Link #135
Moeterum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Even when I read the manga I thought it was a BIG mistake to let Eren live.

For me it was a HUGE disappointment and kind of took down/diminished the whole "cruel reality, no one is really safe" vibe of the series. I was looking for the anime version of Game of Thrones but what I got instead was was just a darker version of another generic shounen :/

Now don't get me wrong the series isn't bad, but if he stayed dead it would have been much better IMO. I would have rate this series as a masterpiece.

Last edited by Moeterum; 2013-06-28 at 04:09.
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-27, 20:37   Link #136
NoemiChan
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philippines
Age: 26
Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan Send a message via Skype™ to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeterum View Post
Even when I read the manga I stayed it was a BIG mistake to let Eren live.

For me it was a HUGE disappointment and kind of took down/diminished the whole "cruel reality, no one is really safe" vibe of the series. I was looking for the anime version of Game of Thrones but what I got instead was was just a darker version of another generic shounen :/

Now don't get me wrong the series isn't bad, but if he stayed dead it would have been much better IMO. I would have rate this series as a masterpiece.
If Eren didn't survive and gets consumed by Titan juices... the concept of "riding/becoming a Titan" will die with him... we're back to "slah, nom, slam, nom" skirmishes again... and it's a sure extinction for mankind...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 04:07   Link #137
jeroz
Art Block Specialist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeterum View Post
kind of took down/diminished the whole "cruel reality, no one is really safe" vibe of the series.
I didn't know that Eren is the only person that we should be worrying about. Guess it's such a waste of time learning those other characters since you know, "Eren can just protect every one of them with titan powers" right?
__________________
She's not Mary Sue, she's Hajime-su!
jeroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 04:11   Link #138
Moeterum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
If Eren didn't survive and gets consumed by Titan juices... the concept of "riding/becoming a Titan" will die with him... we're back to "slah, nom, slam, nom" skirmishes again... and it's a sure extinction for mankind...
Yes, and I never liked the idea of them becoming Titans either. I thought it was a really stupid idea and it made some cheracters almost invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
I didn't know that Eren is the only person that we should be worrying about. Guess it's such a waste of time learning those other characters since you know, "Eren can just protect every one of them with titan powers" right?
Problem is none of the characters I actually care for are ever in real danger to die. I know they'll survive.

So far no one of those who DID died were characters I cared about, so...

Last edited by Moeterum; 2013-06-28 at 05:44.
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 08:39   Link #139
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: forever lost inside a logic error
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeterum View Post
Yes, and I never liked the idea of them becoming Titans either. I thought it was a really stupid idea and it made some cheracters almost invincible.


Problem is none of the characters I actually care for are ever in real danger to die. I know they'll survive.

So far no one of those who DID died were characters I cared about, so...

It's been said multiple times but the whole training camp part didn't come until late in the manga as a flashback.
That means that apart from Armin, Eren and Mikasa none of the characters had been built up enough to make people care about them.
__________________

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-28, 08:59   Link #140
Moeterum
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
It's been said multiple times but the whole training camp part didn't come until late in the manga as a flashback.
That means that apart from Armin, Eren and Mikasa none of the characters had been built up enough to make people care about them.
I know, I read the manga, but in the anime too I also didn't care much for those who died.
Moeterum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
We use Silk.